New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Agents of Shield VI: I am an Agent of SHIELD

I was going to post something different, but my thoughts wandered to how Coulson and Carlson sound similar, which led to an idea of Coulson in the Framework running a radio station in Cincinnati. WSHD in Cincinnati... :)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Unsatisfying
    Show
    Well that was an unsatisfying semi-end of the arc. There was no reason for Mack to stay behind, in character Mack is a pragmatist, and would never accept living a lie. That's not his daughter and he knows it, its a computer program with its responses categorized by 100100110, not any sort of emotion or feeling. If he didn't know it, he might have been able to accept it, but knowing, theres no way. If you want to write a character out, have him die...don't have him behave completely out of character to take him off the show. And what, after they deal with Aida, they are going to let this giant computer keep on running? Reality check, please.
    As for Aida escaping, that was bogus. She cant just "give" herself powers, those only come from undergoing the transformation ritual and then only usable with lots of practice, trial and error. Even having them, and full blown at that, is a crock. And Fitz's reaction, he was horrified at what he had done in the simulation and then he comes face to face with the thing that made him do it...and just stands there? He would have been trying to tear her limb from limb. You want to keep her "alive", have her arrive at some other place, or make her escape while the rest are still coming to grips with their return. Not this bogus set up.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Spoiler: Unsatisfying
    Show
    Well that was an unsatisfying semi-end of the arc. There was no reason for Mack to stay behind, in character Mack is a pragmatist, and would never accept living a lie. That's not his daughter and he knows it, its a computer program with its responses categorized by 100100110, not any sort of emotion or feeling. If he didn't know it, he might have been able to accept it, but knowing, theres no way. If you want to write a character out, have him die...don't have him behave completely out of character to take him off the show. And what, after they deal with Aida, they are going to let this giant computer keep on running? Reality check, please.
    As for Aida escaping, that was bogus. She cant just "give" herself powers, those only come from undergoing the transformation ritual and then only usable with lots of practice, trial and error. Even having them, and full blown at that, is a crock. And Fitz's reaction, he was horrified at what he had done in the simulation and then he comes face to face with the thing that made him do it...and just stands there? He would have been trying to tear her limb from limb. You want to keep her "alive", have her arrive at some other place, or make her escape while the rest are still coming to grips with their return. Not this bogus set up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I disagree with pretty much all of your points. It's not like Mack has some knowledge of what life outside of the Framework is like.
    Literally the only thing he knows about it is that his daughter is dead there. Doesn't seem like a stretch at all that he would prefer to stay where the person he loves the most is alive. We also don't know that he's being written out. There are still two more episodes and the teaser for next week shows that Mack's story isn't done yet.

As for AIDA, she 3D printed herself a human body. If she has that capability, why not make it an Inhuman body? Is it really that outrageous?
    Fitz and Hydra had been studying Inhumans after all. Terragenesis wouldn't necessarily be required if the body were constructed to have already undergone it. I'll give you that we didn't see her practicing with her powers. She could have set up a program to practice as kind of an "I know kung fu" kind of situation.

Fitz was in shock. He couldn't believe what he'd done, been willing to do, how merciless he had been. He could have been aggressive about it, sure. He's just been through the most traumatic thing in his entire life, even worse than his near death experience. And in the framework, he loved Ophelia. It wasn't real, but it felt real. And now the two realities crash before his eyes as he comes face to face with his captor, his manipulator, and his love. Because the love he felt was real, even though everything about it was a lie.

Playing Pokemon Y

Friend Code: 4914-4022-6171

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

OK, it's a week past, so I'm dropping the spoilers.

First off, Framework Mack had no memory of being an Agent of SHIELD, so it's understandable that he would be hesitant to trade the virtual world where he had a daughter for a world he knew nothing about (except that Hope wasn't there).

Secondly, the pain and regret he felt over losing Hope was enough to sustain the friggin' Ghost Rider, so I would say her death left a pretty sizeable hole in his heart.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-08 at 12:48 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

But he is a pragmatist. He cut Coulson's arm off with an axe, for crying out loud. All the way to the escape point, he could deny the other world, but when faced with Daisy using Inhuman powers and showing the portal clearly, the lie of the world he was in could not be denied. And Mack would never believe in a lie. Its a plot armor character change, and its phony.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #36

It's a fishnet-thin justification for the return of Ghost Rider. Hardly the worst thing this series has done (Yes Men, anyone?).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

But he is a pragmatist. He cut Coulson's arm off with an axe, for crying out loud.
    So would I. So would anyone with an ounce of sense. That's not pragmatism, that's doing the only thing that would save Coulson's life.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-08 at 01:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

But he is a pragmatist. He cut Coulson's arm off with an axe, for crying out loud. All the way to the escape point, he could deny the other world, but when faced with Daisy using Inhuman powers and showing the portal clearly, the lie of the world he was in could not be denied. And Mack would never believe in a lie. Its a plot armor character change, and its phony.
    No, he's a pragmatist in the real world because in the real world he has lost Hope. In the virtual world, he has a reason to live other than pure pragmatic duty. And from where I'm standing, if I was forced at gunpoint to choose between my cub and "the more real world", I'd pick like Mack did in a heartbeat, because of the brain-in-a-jar philosophical thought experiment: you can never be sure that what you think as reality "is really real". For all anyone can know, Daisy is delusional about living in the real real world, and is simply pulling him to a different computer simulation.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What do they say about a woman scorned. Aida has it REAL bad
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It's Sunday. Screw spoilers.

Ophelia's freak-out was genuinely scary. Making her human actually made her worse, because now she's completely unhinged.

Seeing Fitz sad was a tearjerker, but I think it was worse seeing Gemma fighting back tears when Fitz said that his relationship with her was over.

Good news: AoS finally got renewed. We got one more season to wrap things up.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/agent...d-for-season-5
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-14 at 07:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Aida's new emotions, of all kinds, are overwhelming her because of how total her inexperience with them is. If Fitz had chosen her over Jemma, I could easily see her becoming a long term blissfully/deliriously happy powerful ally of Shield. Right up until her first argument with Fitz, at which point it would all depend on whether Fitz could convince her, in the middle of an emotionally distraught breakdown, that it was just a temporary interruption of the long term status quo.

So, she'd be a ticking time bomb for quite a while, with all the lack of emotional stability of a newborn baby, combined with the power of many different Inhumans all put together.

...yeah, this never had good odds of turning out well. Good try, Fitz, and at least you got her to save Mack before the breakup.

On the subject of Aida's powers, I find it interesting that she can regenerate from actual bullet wounds easily, but has no apparent resistance to ICER rounds. That's quite a hole in her Inhuman defenses if anyone thinks of it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    On the subject of Aida's powers, I find it interesting that she can regenerate from actual bullet wounds easily, but has no apparent resistance to ICER rounds. That's quite a hole in her Inhuman defenses if anyone thinks of it.
    Where there ICERs in the framework? I wouldn't imagine they'd be standard Hydra issue, even if Fitz did manage to invent them before Hydra took over, so there would not have been any chance to identify which inhuman power granted immunity to it.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

This is HYDRA we're talking about here. Why would they bother with non-lethal weaponry?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    This is HYDRA we're talking about here. Why would they bother with non-lethal weaponry?
    They do need the inhuman alive for experimentation. So they needed non-lethal, I just can't imagine there being an outright R&D project to develop it.

GW

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    They do need the inhuman alive for experimentation. So they needed non-lethal, I just can't imagine there being an outright R&D project to develop it.
    Well, Icers are meant to incapacitate without hurting the individual. HYDRA never had to worry about being that gentle.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

GW
    In the Hydra handbook that's called a leg shot.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

C'mon guys, you saw Hydra's approach to non-lethal takedowns.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9phxUGRV0PY

18. - Top - End - #48

I wonder if this means we'll be seeing the return of the ICER grenade from T.R.A.C.K.S. back in S1.

Crap was that a long time ago.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Robbie Reyes has seen some s**t.

Sneak peak of season finale
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-15 at 06:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Just saw that Powers Boothe, who was so much fun as Gideon Malick last season, has passed.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

—Okay, emergency question: what happened in last week’s stinger?

I caught the episode, but managed to miss the stinger, and I’m sure it’s something frightfully relevant. Can anyone fill me in? (Spoilered, of course.)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Stinger
    Show
    After thoroughly searching the SHIELD base, Talbot and his men find nothing and depart. Moments later, Ghostrider steps through a portal and walks off.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler: Stinger
    Show
    After thoroughly searching the SHIELD base, Talbot and his men find nothing and depart. Moments later, Ghostrider steps through a portal and walks off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, the portal Aida built to bring Coulson and Fitz back, back when Eli was the main bad guy. The device that makes that portal is at least structurally intact, and it reactivates and then Ghostrider walks out from it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #54

And so the season ends, and I make ten bucks.

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a really good ending, I think. Lotta good build up, lotta good action, some trickery by our heroes and Phil making some secret deal with the good satan. And then...SPACE BASE. Which is probably going to tie into the Inhumans series, which they teased at the end. Nice.

Especially good and nice points for the ending of Radcliffe. This is how the world ends, with a-

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    And so the season ends, and I make ten bucks.

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a really good ending, I think. Lotta good build up, lotta good action, some trickery by our heroes and Phil making some secret deal with the good satan. And then...SPACE BASE. Which is probably going to tie into the Inhumans series, which they teased at the end. Nice.

Especially good and nice points for the ending of Radcliffe. This is how the world ends, with a-
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was a really good ending. The combination of the last scene and the stinger confused me. We have to see what happens between the diner scene and the space base.

And then there is the whole thing between Coulson and Robbie. Something to do with Coulson having come back from the dead, I assume.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

General thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    It was immeasurably satisfying seeing AIDA fry. Evil bitch.

However, watching Hope fade was considerably less satisfying. Poor Mack.

I kinda wish they'd did a fade to black after Radcliffe died. That woulda made that scene perfect.

And, uh, I guess Framework Ward is dead now too? Geez.

So ... who wants to guess Coulson's secret?

Spoiler
    Show
    My money is on him dying. Again.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-05-16 at 10:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that happened.

As finales go…not great.

Spoiler: He's Baaaaaaack
    Show
    Ahh, Skullboy. Possibly my least favorite character in the MCU, apart from the entire cast of a movie that just opened.

I figured Skullboy would be key to destroying Aida, but the actual fight was anticlimactic. Swish, bamf, burn Aida with chain.

And how exactly did Skullboy’s better half get into Coulson?

Spoiler: Is Fitz That Good An Actor?
    Show
    Did Fitz know that Aida was torturing a Jemmabot? Is he really that good at faking desperate misery?

And if not—if he thought Aida killed Jemma—then why wasn’t Fitz overcome with joy, relief, confusion and even more guilt when he sees the real Jemma is alive?

Spoiler: Daisy's Turn as Starship Captain
    Show
    Seriously, she needs a Starfleet uniform after that speech at the end about staying with the team.

It wasn’t much of a speech in itself, and at that point in the episode it was just one more thing piled in. They tried to do way too much here, and everything was crammed in at odd angles.

Spoiler: The Best Scene
    Show
    Agreed that Radcliffe’s final line was the best scene in the episode.

And it would’ve been perfect if that had been the very last scene.

Spoiler: Really Confused, Part I
    Show
    Okay…who was it that caught the team at the end? And used the green flash drive thingy to paralyze them?

And the stinger. I really don’t get the stinger. Is Coulson now a brainwashed asteroid miner? Is this yet another mind-trapped-in-fake-world scenario? Because the Framework was fun, but come on now.

Spoiler: Really Confused, Part II
    Show
    So…about the Inhumans media…project…thing.

It’s a movie…but it’s also a TV series? A movie leading directly to a TV series? Or the pilot episode shown in theaters?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Clearly those guys at the end ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... were aliens. Beyond that, I have no idea what their deal was.

Another LMD-related thought:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Superior is still active, isn't he? Several of his bodies were destroyed, but his brain is still preserved.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    General thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    It was immeasurably satisfying seeing AIDA fry. Evil bitch.

However, watching Hope fade was considerably less satisfying. Poor Mack.

I kinda wish they'd did a fade to black after Radcliffe died. That woulda made that scene perfect.

And, uh, I guess Framework Ward is dead now too? Geez.

So ... who wants to guess Coulson's secret?

Spoiler
    Show
    My money is on him dying. Again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It...did fade to black though.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Well, that happened.

As finales go…not great.

Spoiler: He's Baaaaaaack
    Show
    Ahh, Skullboy. Possibly my least favorite character in the MCU, apart from the entire cast of a movie that just opened.

I figured Skullboy would be key to destroying Aida, but the actual fight was anticlimactic. Swish, bamf, burn Aida with chain.

And how exactly did Skullboy’s better half get into Coulson?

Spoiler: Is Fitz That Good An Actor?
    Show
    Did Fitz know that Aida was torturing a Jemmabot? Is he really that good at faking desperate misery?

And if not—if he thought Aida killed Jemma—then why wasn’t Fitz overcome with joy, relief, confusion and even more guilt when he sees the real Jemma is alive?

Spoiler: Daisy's Turn as Starship Captain
    Show
    Seriously, she needs a Starfleet uniform after that speech at the end about staying with the team.

It wasn’t much of a speech in itself, and at that point in the episode it was just one more thing piled in. They tried to do way too much here, and everything was crammed in at odd angles.

Spoiler: The Best Scene
    Show
    Agreed that Radcliffe’s final line was the best scene in the episode.

And it would’ve been perfect if that had been the very last scene.

Spoiler: Really Confused, Part I
    Show
    Okay…who was it that caught the team at the end? And used the green flash drive thingy to paralyze them?

And the stinger. I really don’t get the stinger. Is Coulson now a brainwashed asteroid miner? Is this yet another mind-trapped-in-fake-world scenario? Because the Framework was fun, but come on now.

Spoiler: Really Confused, Part II
    Show
    So…about the Inhumans media…project…thing.

It’s a movie…but it’s also a TV series? A movie leading directly to a TV series? Or the pilot episode shown in theaters?
    Spoiler
    Show

Fitz is just that good an actor, yes. He knew. What's funny is that if you're watching this and paying attention...there are inconsistent things there that show you it's a fake Jemma. Fitz's "No, not Jemma" wasn't quite as emotional as it should be. Jemma saying "this is all your fault Fitz" made no sense. But Aida is a human now. She can't TELL when people are ****ing with her. It shows just how powerless she really is now that she's no longer a machine.

As for the Inhuman stuff coming, it was originally going to be a feature length movie. It's now going to be a TV series, with the pilot episode coming to cinemas before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Clearly those guys at the end ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... were aliens. Beyond that, I have no idea what their deal was.

Another LMD-related thought:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Superior is still active, isn't he? Several of his bodies were destroyed, but his brain is still preserved.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, Superior should still be active. That'ts a plot thread to touch on later!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

So I guess next year will be
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agents of S.W.O.R.D?
    Now with half the calories!