New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of Shield VI: I am an Agent of SHIELD

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I mean, they sort of did with Age of Ultron answering the question in season 2 of "What is the giant project that Coulson is working on?"
    That was probably because the director of Age of Ultron is the brother of the showrunners of Agents of SHIELD (Joss and Jed Whedon/Maurissa Tancharoen).

After that, they never addressed Inhumans and the role of SHIELD in the movies has been taken over by the Avengers and Stark/Damage Control.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

They have been following the events of the movies. Season 3 they brought up the Sokovia accords as well. The Darkholds was probably their attempt to inject magic around the time of Dr. Strange. However, they are no longer even trying to do movie tie-ins and the movies never acknowledged that the TV shows exist. To the best of my knowledge not even with a hidden easter egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

That was probably because the director of Age of Ultron is the brother of the showrunners of Agents of SHIELD (Joss and Jed Whedon/Maurissa Tancharoen).
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    However, they are no longer even trying to do movie tie-ins and the movies never acknowledged that the TV shows exist. To the best of my knowledge not even with a hidden easter egg.
    The Age of Ultron Helicarrier is from Agents of Shield. That's the only time movies get something from Agents of Shield instead of the other-way around (I mean, the Avengers get the location of Loki's sceptre from Coulson's shield but that isn't actually mentioned anywhere in the movie so it doesn't count).
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I agree.

The Age of Ultron Helicarrier is from Agents of Shield. That's the only time movies get something from Agents of Shield instead of the other-way around (I mean, the Avengers get the location of Loki's sceptre from Coulson's shield but that isn't actually mentioned anywhere in the movie so it doesn't count).
    What you mean is Agents of Shield takes credit for providing a Helicarrier that the movie suggests was in Nick Fury’s back pocket the whole time, and where not a single person or location from the TV series is referenced. Also the Helicarrier isn’t revealed until after the movie came out (I saw it in the movies first).

While looking at the movies and TV as a single universe you can say “the Helicarrier was provided by Coulson and the Agents of Shield,” this one is an example of the sort of thing that can be done without the movies acknowledging the existence or relevance of the TV show.

Post Age-of-Ultron they have stopped even doing even that much with new movies in the TV show itself. They acknowledge the Sokovia Accords are now a thing a bit late to the party, and that’s about the last time Agents of Shield acknowledge that the movies are a thing (unless Thor 2 was after, Sif shows up in what’s basically a one off and acknowledges Odin’s been acting funny).
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #185

Thor 2 was during season one. The tie in was the episode with the Berserker Staff. Sif came by later to deal with Lorelei, and then again in season two. Then Jaimie Alexander signed on to Blindspot and NBC put a conditional clause on releasing her from the non-compete for cameos at (allegedly) the high six-figures.

Anyway, the movie references in AoS are Extremis from IM3 (major plot element), clean up in London after Thor 2, the utter fracking meltdown of the series setting in CA2, some hints about a secret project Coulson and the Koenigs are involved in (this is an easter egg for AoU, so only tangential), the Sokovia Accords from CA3 and a Pym particle reference when trying to get Simmons back from Hive World (so Ant-Man).

edit: Really, if Clark Gregg wasn't in the series, you'd be hard pressed to say there's any real tie to the movies.
    Last edited by Rogar Demonblud; 2018-01-10 at 12:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

While it’s not a movie reference, wasn’t Mace assalted with a Judas Bullet from Luke Cage?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    While it’s not a movie reference, wasn’t Mace assalted with a Judas Bullet from Luke Cage?
    He was, in addition Carl Creel was the boxer that Matt Murdock's dad fought in the match where he was supposed to take a dive. So there are two tie ins to the netflix series.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2018-01-10 at 07:47 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I love her mostly because she has a bad-ass theme song and she played Julie Mao in the Expanse. I love how detestable she is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I cant stand the fact that she survives...again. She brings nothing to this show. Shes a terrible actress who does nothing but stand there and look menacing...she isnt even a good fighter or have interesting powers, she just releases those stupid balls to knock out opponents. Shes so bad, she almost makes you long for the return of Ward. Almost.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

- Didn't the previous episode end with the blue guy minus his throat?
    How did that turn into a small booboo on his cheek?

- The part that Fitz pulls that controller from Jemma's ear?
    Let's just say I found the nose picking scene in the old Total Recall movie more believable...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    - Didn't the previous episode end with the blue guy minus his throat?
    How did that turn into a small booboo on his cheek?

- The part that Fitz pulls that controller from Jemma's ear?
    Let's just say I found the nose picking scene in the old Total Recall movie more believable...
    I just re-watched the scene from two episodes ago: Simmons misses the guy's neck and got him on the cheek. I also thought on initial viewing that she got his neck.

Also, yeah, the controller scene seemed kind of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I cant stand the fact that she survives...again. She brings nothing to this show. Shes a terrible actress who does nothing but stand there and look menacing...she isnt even a good fighter or have interesting powers, she just releases those stupid balls to knock out opponents. Shes so bad, she almost makes you long for the return of Ward. Almost.
    Isn't standing there and looking menacing basically her entire role?

Also, I forgot how tough the Kree were portrayed the last couple times they were around, but they seem like chumps on this station.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-01-15 at 11:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Also, I forgot how tough the Kree were portrayed the last couple times they were around, but they seem like chumps on this station.
    Most of them are mooks. The fact that they give main characters any trouble at all is pretty impressive.

Current evidence suggests that not only did Quake actually destroy the Earth, but the version of Quake who did it had gone through the round trip to the future that we're currently watching. This raises the rather important question of "why did she do it?" If she'd been to the future she would have known in advance exactly how catastrophically much damage she was about to do, but she did it anyway. She's not insane, she would not have done it without a reason. And she's not evil, she would not have wanted to kill nearly all of humanity. So what was her reason?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well, I’m not sure about that. I think she was involved in the destruction of the Earth, but she wasn’t actually the person who shook it apart.

See, the presence of all this gravitonium and the gravity storms makes me wonder if AoS is gearing up to revisit a plot thread from Season 1, namely ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... the return of Graviton.

If you’re a Marvel fan, you may be familiar with that name. Graviton (ie. Franklin Hall) is an Avengers villain who can control gravity. Fairly powerful, in that he was depicted in the Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon as needing the whole team to take him down.

In AoS, Franklin Hall was the creator of gravitonium. Coulson caused him to be sucked up by his own creation and he seemingly died, but an end-of-episode teaser suggests he actually survived.

So what if he came back, intending to seek bloody vengeance on Coulson? What if Daisy actually destroys the world by trying to stop him?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-01-31 at 11:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Well, I’m not sure about that. I think she was involved in the destruction of the Earth, but she wasn’t actually the person who shook it apart.

See, the presence of all this gravitonium and the gravity storms makes me wonder if AoS is gearing up to revisit a plot thread from Season 1, namely ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... the return of Graviton.

If you’re a Marvel fan, you may be familiar with that name. Graviton (ie. Franklin Hall) is an Avengers villain who can control gravity. Fairly powerful, in that he was depicted in the Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon as needing the whole team to take him down.

In AoS, Franklin Hall was the creator of gravitonium. Coulson caused him to be sucked up by his own creation back in Season 1 and seemingly died, but an end-of-episode teaser suggests he actually survived.

So what if he came back, intending to seek bloody vengeance on Coulson? What if Daisy actually destroys the world by trying to stop him?
    Agreed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been hoping for Graviton to show up since we saw gravitonium again. I'm thinking the whole "Destroyer of Worlds" thing is a big misunderstanding and/or misdirection, because aside from the fact that Daisy isn't the type to want to destroy the world and has constantly said she doesn't believe she'd do it, everything we see so far is circumstantial evidence.

We saw a quick video of Daisy walking around before the big quake, and everyone just assumed that meant she was headed off to destroy the earth. Then Fitzsimmons discovered the gravitonium, Fitz said something like "Wait, it might not have been Daisy after all" and something about there being a lot of energy packed into (I'd have to see the episode again to remember the exact wording), and then they were cut off before they could tell Coulson about it and it got dropped.

So I'm going to assume it was either Graviton or some gravitonium-related Kree shenanigans instead of Daisy until we have more concrete evidence it was her.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

FitzSimmons said the gravitonium is apparently what’s keeping the Earth fragment from losing its atmosphere. However, they wondered if it wasn’t them who accidentally destroyed the Earth by messing around with gravitonium in the first place.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-01-31 at 11:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It actually sounded to me like it was this closed-time-loop thing, plus the Gravitonium.

Basically, it sounds like alternate/past Fitz created this Gravitonium-powered Zephyr capable of space flight, but eventually they realized that the instability of Gravitonium was causing the gravity storms, etc. Fitz's rambling made it sound like, assuming they get back to the present, they've created a predestination paradox, where he will design a gravity engine based on the system he saw, because he did design one, and that said system may be what tears the planet apart.

That might be what they're setting up for the second half of the season. (Because, please, don't let them linger in this dystopian future for the whole season.) They get back, and now have to stop the Gravitonium-fueled chain reaction they've triggered from destroying the planet.

Which makes the season even more obnoxious than it already was. I mean, the big thing about time travel is that it basically eliminates any tension - no matter what goes wrong in the future, they can just return to the past and prevent it. But if the whole reason they traveled to the future was to save a people whose planet was destroyed by Gravitonium, and then they return to the past to prevent themselves from destroying the world with Gravitonium which was only the case because they went to the future, then actually the Bad Future would have been prevented by not having them travel to the future in the first place.

Ugh. Let's just cut to the FitzSimmons wedding at the end of this series, you guys.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It actually sounded to me like it was this closed-time-loop thing, plus the Gravitonium.

Basically, it sounds like alternate/past Fitz created this Gravitonium-powered Zephyr capable of space flight, but eventually they realized that the instability of Gravitonium was causing the gravity storms, etc. Fitz's rambling made it sound like, assuming they get back to the present, they've created a predestination paradox, where he will design a gravity engine based on the system he saw, because he did design one, and that said system may be what tears the planet apart.

That might be what they're setting up for the second half of the season. (Because, please, don't let them linger in this dystopian future for the whole season.) They get back, and now have to stop the Gravitonium-fueled chain reaction they've triggered from destroying the planet.

Which makes the season even more obnoxious than it already was. I mean, the big thing about time travel is that it basically eliminates any tension - no matter what goes wrong in the future, they can just return to the past and prevent it. But if the whole reason they traveled to the future was to save a people whose planet was destroyed by Gravitonium, and then they return to the past to prevent themselves from destroying the world with Gravitonium which was only the case because they went to the future, then actually the Bad Future would have been prevented by not having them travel to the future in the first place.

Ugh. Let's just cut to the FitzSimmons wedding at the end of this series, you guys.
    My thought was that the result of all this would be a parallel universe - either created or revealed. It seems like AoS has been taking place in an alternate universe from the theatrical MCU at least from the time that terrigen got released, probably before that. Maybe they will reveal that this is literally the case.
    Theory: In the Avengers Universe, Coulson never got revived, Kree had not been to earth or at least never left behind Inhumans. Everything else is the same (at least the big events up to/including Ultron and Accords). Maybe the only dividing event was the terrigen release. Regardless, the result of all this time traveling is going to leave them in the film version of MCU (where Tony invented LMDs instead of the guy in the tv show). If this is the last season of the show as some are predicting, some of the characters (at least Coulson) will reappear in films, and the TV show fans will know why/how he got there and why the Avengers weren't aware of Inhumans, Legion, inter-planetary/dimensional/time traveling monoliths, never mentioned the existence of SHIELD, etc.

Spoiler: alternate
    Show
    Or, based on the possible revelation that gravitonium/graviton was responsible for the earth's destruction, it will be decided that the only way to save the earth and stop the loop is to go back farther in time - to before graviton was created. They effectively erase all the events of the show (and basically create an alternate universe), all the way back to season 1. They go forward living in the MCU as it is seen in the movies, without Inhumans or any of the other earth-threatening stuff from the show that the Avengers totally should have been dealing with. If the show ends, Coulson can reappear in films as a cameo or small part as he previously did.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's clear that SHIELD was responding to some outside threat, a threat that will be there regardless of time travel. Anyhow, I'm more interested in Kasius's comment on holding his inhuman research hostage, where he said trading inhumans for humans happened before. I have a feeling he's talking about something of a greater scale than the Inhumans that had been produced at the Lighthouse, which may mean we'll see The Inhumans make an appearance. Speaking of the Lighthouse, it's really ancient, no one knows who built it, and it has gravitonium tech that Fitz designs/designed. Does he add that later, or does that mean that SHIELD builds the Lighthouse in the past, or maybe he gets the design from the Lighthouse, which always had it? Maybe they get Enoch sent back to build it, since it's part of prophecy.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    I think it's clear that SHIELD was responding to some outside threat, a threat that will be there regardless of time travel. Anyhow, I'm more interested in Kasius's comment on holding his inhuman research hostage, where he said trading inhumans for humans happened before. I have a feeling he's talking about something of a greater scale than the Inhumans that had been produced at the Lighthouse, which may mean we'll see The Inhumans make an appearance. Speaking of the Lighthouse, it's really ancient, no one knows who built it, and it has gravitonium tech that Fitz designs/designed. Does he add that later, or does that mean that SHIELD builds the Lighthouse in the past, or maybe he gets the design from the Lighthouse, which always had it? Maybe they get Enoch sent back to build it, since it's part of prophecy.
    I didn't think it was "ancient." Unless I misheard, the flashback episode revealed that it was built by SHIELD as a safehouse or something. (Did I mishear?) I'm guessing the Gravitonium stabilizers came later, likely to offset the fact that the planet had exploded.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I didn't think it was "ancient." Unless I misheard, the flashback episode revealed that it was built by SHIELD as a safehouse or something. (Did I mishear?) I'm guessing the Gravitonium stabilizers came later, likely to offset the fact that the planet had exploded.
    I could rewatch Rewind again, but the impression I got was that Enoch did not know who built the Lighthouse, and had been on Earth for 30,000 years. I suppose that doesn't mean it was necessarily built before he got there, just built in secret. SHIELD has a lot of secret bases, after all.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

New episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, Quake destroyed the Earth trying to stop Kasius's father from conquering it? I still don't see her intentionally choosing planet destruction over Kree enslavement, but lots of things could plausibly make an escalating superpowered fight do it by accident in a series like this. How saving Coulson could ruin everything is a big mystery, though.

They're going pretty deep with the fixed time loop idea, making it very clear that everything we've seen so far still fits the bad timeline, but I'd still be surprised if they don't break it eventually. For maximum climactic drama, the break will probably be at the last possible moment.

"Here's your blueprint." Right. I wouldn't put it past the writers to have Flint literally rebuild the entire planet, but it strains plausibility for him to be that powerful.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-02-03 at 02:55 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Boy, this episode really pushed the PG-13 rating, didn’t it? Heads were getting cut off, throats were getting slashed, dudes were getting impaled with axes.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had a strong suspicion all along that Coulson was dying as a result of the bargain he made with the Ghost Rider. This episode confirmed my theory.

We now know a few things:

1) This is definitively a time loop. The Agents have been through all this before, and we know it causes most of the team to die.

2) We know that Cassius’ father was somehow involved in the destruction of Earth. That fits in with what Voss said in a previous episode; that a city was evacuated and there was a “light from the sky.”

3) We also know it’s the team’s decision to save Coulson that destroys the world.

Given that we know Kree blood can bring back the dead and repair grievous injuries, maybe the team tries to barter with the Kree for a cure? Or they try to take it from them? And that in turn leads to the destruction of Earth.

Despite the little teaser at the end, I do believe the future can change if Agents operates on a Dragon Ball Z model of time travel; ie. changing past events creates an alternate timeline.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-02-03 at 09:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

So, when's the next episode?

Clearly not tonight, which is all Olympic-y. Is the show coming back in two weeks, or a month, or when?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    So, when's the next episode?

Clearly not tonight, which is all Olympic-y. Is the show coming back in two weeks, or a month, or when?
    March 2nd, out for a month.
    Now with half the calories!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Ah good to know, thanks. I guess I'll catch up on the Defenders tonight.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by The New Bruceski
    Okay, thanks. I guess falling back through time takes a while.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Okay, thanks. I guess falling back through time takes a while.

I can spend this time trying to catch up on other shows.

27. - Top - End - #207

Just a reminder the show resumes next week.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

A further reminder that we are, in fact, finally getting back to this season as of 9:00 pm tonight, EST.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Great episode, until the big reveal.

Spoiler: Worst Plot Twist Ever
    Show
    The general’s daughter is the super-assassin killer woman? Seriously?!

If they’d pulled this in the first season I would’ve quit the show. As it is, they just threw me off my S.H.I.E.L.D. groove. Which was going very nicely, since the episode was otherwise humming right along. Robots, aliens, time-travelers, supporting cast from Avatar, all in one episode. Until the whole general’s-daughter thing it was great.

Spoiler: Most Obvious Double-Cross Ever
    Show
    Not only does Piper not do science, she also doesn’t do convincing reunions. It wasn’t hard to peg her as a plant from the moment she appeared.

Also, for someone trained by May, she sure was easy to dupe. I thought agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. were supposed to be, you know, cunning and spy-like.

Spoiler: Is That A Monk Weapon?
    Show
    Slicey razor ring with the returning property. How would you stat that out?

Also, in line with comments a little earlier in the thread, this is definitely the goriest of all five seasons. I wasn’t expecting that much severed limb.

Spoiler: Road Trip with the Agents
    Show
    Hilarious scene in the orange van, with everyone recounting their worst experiences as an agent. And May wins with the dancing, which was way back in first season, I think.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Wow.

Did everyone just...not watch it? Usually Zodi, Rogar, Red Fel and half a dozen others would have weighed in by now.

Did the month-long hiatus drop it off everyone's radar? Or have the time loops, gravity hijinks and badly acted blue aliens driven everyone away?