New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of Shield VI: I am an Agent of SHIELD

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Wow.

Did everyone just...not watch it? Usually Zodi, Rogar, Red Fel and half a dozen others would have weighed in by now.

Did the month-long hiatus drop it off everyone's radar? Or have the time loops, gravity hijinks and badly acted blue aliens driven everyone away?
    Actually, I was traveling. I'm going to have to catch up with the episode on Hulu.

But honestly? A bit of everything you've said. The completely meaningless time loop, overly dramatic "totally Rome but not" aliens, and generally needless bleakness, really made me want the season (and possibly series) to end already, and the month-long hiatus definitely didn't help.

But I'mma catch up. Eventually.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

2. - Top - End - #212

I didn't want to spoil any of the twists ahead of time. For instance, the probable MCU version of
    Spoiler
    Show
    Finesse

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow.

Did everyone just...not watch it? Usually Zodi, Rogar, Red Fel and half a dozen others would have weighed in by now.

Did the month-long hiatus drop it off everyone's radar? Or have the time loops, gravity hijinks and badly acted blue aliens driven everyone away?
    I have been indisposed from watching due to work all year, for everything. I appreciate that you've noticed. I have caught up, and I'm liking what I've seen (though I was only able to watch from the episode Old Robin dies onward). I'm shocked Yoyo lost her arms, but also would like to note that in the future flashback she HAS her arms, so the future IS changing! Not...the way we want it too though.

Also, while I don't know if it HAS been confirmed or not, this feels like the Last Season. That conversation in the truck, talking about all their past adventures, that's a very Last Season thing to do.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-03-05 at 12:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The Future Yoyo who was Kasius' prisoner had lost her arms, so this is not an indication of anything changing. If anything, it's an indication that they are still following the path to the bad future, and Yoyo comments to that effect soon after it happens.

The flashback where she has her arms and declares she'll fight the Kree could be explained by good cybernetics. They made a cybernetic arm for Coulson, there's no reason they couldn't do the same for Yoyo. Twice, since she needs two of them.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    The Future Yoyo who was Kasius' prisoner had lost her arms, so this is not an indication of anything changing. If anything, it's an indication that they are still following the path to the bad future, and Yoyo comments to that effect soon after it happens.

The flashback where she has her arms and declares she'll fight the Kree could be explained by good cybernetics. They made a cybernetic arm for Coulson, there's no reason they couldn't do the same for Yoyo. Twice, since she needs two of them.
    This is true, and something I thought of, but I don't think they'll go that route. By which I mean, I don't think they'll fake us out by saying "oh in that future flashback she had two robot arms". I definitely think she'll get robot arms later, just not immediately and not to set up the futurepast flashback thing.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I finally got to it.

Short version? It's an improvement. I like that it's no longer in a bleak dystopian future. I like that they're getting back into the old tropes - the quips, the espionage, the disguises and trickery. It's a return to form, and I appreciate that. More in the spoiler box.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still on the fence about Noah. I liked Enoch well enough; he grew on me. His particular way of emoting was pleasing to my sensibilities. Noah is not Enoch; seeing it on a second character feels more forced. That said, Noah has gotten his fair share of lines (I liked his comment about Enoch being "reckless," and his comment that he believed Daisy breaking Deke out was wrong, those amused me), so I'm going to give him a fair shake.

Bold choice by Der Maus to put one of their starlets into a murderous bad girl role. How long did they go before they let Zac Efron be anything but charming? We'll see how it plays out, but I like the obsessed psychopath (possible yandere?) angle they've got with her.

Creel! I feel like I knew he was coming back. Must have read it somewhere. Don't they bring him back every other season or so? I feel like that's a deliberate choice on the writers' part - "See? We're bringing Creel back! We're going back to the stuff you liked! Please don't hate us!" It feels like a deliberate fan-grab. I'll allow it, if only because I want the closure.

Speaking of closure, there was a comment by General Hardass (and why are all the generals on this show obstructing bureaucrats, anyway?), when she said something to the effect of "bringing this whole chapter to a close." My first instinct was to blurt out, "Yes, please!" There were other people watching in the room. It didn't stop me.

That's not a good sign for the series. I've been watching it since the beginning. I've been through the good episodes, the bad ones, the worse ones, the slightly less bad ones, the ones that almost looked good but actually weren't. I've been reasonably loyal. And my first instinct was to end it already. Just end it. Write a solid season end that could double as a series end, and let it die with dignity.

I've been a fan of Coulson. I've admired May. Fitz and Simmons have been consistently adorable (except for Simmons' brief bout of fantastic racism). Mack is all of us. But this really has gone on long enough. And the fact that I felt that way, even in an episode that managed to turn around the depressing doldrums of the previous arc, is disappointing.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show
    For me it's less disappointing and more...appropriate, I think? I want the show to end with dignity, and seeing as how it's very clear that the MCU is no longer connected to the TV shows because the TV shows are run by an asshat, the show has basically run it's purpose. Tie in show that bounces off the movies, to just genuinaly good show, to now a show that seems like it might be just about to hit the part where it's been on for too long.

So yeah, I kinda hope this is the final season, so it goes out on a high note.

8. - Top - End - #218

For the record, Yo-Yo has cybernetic arms in the comics. So this could be Editorial getting involved again.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

Short version? It's an improvement. I like that it's no longer in a bleak dystopian future. I like that they're getting back into the old tropes - the quips, the espionage, the disguises and trickery. It's a return to form, and I appreciate that. More in the spoiler box.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still on the fence about Noah. I liked Enoch well enough; he grew on me. His particular way of emoting was pleasing to my sensibilities. Noah is not Enoch; seeing it on a second character feels more forced. That said, Noah has gotten his fair share of lines (I liked his comment about Enoch being "reckless," and his comment that he believed Daisy breaking Deke out was wrong, those amused me), so I'm going to give him a fair shake.

Bold choice by Der Maus to put one of their starlets into a murderous bad girl role. How long did they go before they let Zac Efron be anything but charming? We'll see how it plays out, but I like the obsessed psychopath (possible yandere?) angle they've got with her.

Creel! I feel like I knew he was coming back. Must have read it somewhere. Don't they bring him back every other season or so? I feel like that's a deliberate choice on the writers' part - "See? We're bringing Creel back! We're going back to the stuff you liked! Please don't hate us!" It feels like a deliberate fan-grab. I'll allow it, if only because I want the closure.

Speaking of closure, there was a comment by General Hardass (and why are all the generals on this show obstructing bureaucrats, anyway?), when she said something to the effect of "bringing this whole chapter to a close." My first instinct was to blurt out, "Yes, please!" There were other people watching in the room. It didn't stop me.

That's not a good sign for the series. I've been watching it since the beginning. I've been through the good episodes, the bad ones, the worse ones, the slightly less bad ones, the ones that almost looked good but actually weren't. I've been reasonably loyal. And my first instinct was to end it already. Just end it. Write a solid season end that could double as a series end, and let it die with dignity.

I've been a fan of Coulson. I've admired May. Fitz and Simmons have been consistently adorable (except for Simmons' brief bout of fantastic racism). Mack is all of us. But this really has gone on long enough. And the fact that I felt that way, even in an episode that managed to turn around the depressing doldrums of the previous arc, is disappointing.
    Spoiler: Dove Cameron
    Show

I have "bad guy turned good guy" bet on her; you know basically her character in Descendents.

I liked the reveal on her, because it was definitely creepy and you get a good insight into the General. It does feel a little weird that we'll have two femme fatales with ranged weapons back to back as the dragon of the series; Sinara was just here!

So, where does she get her power from? Enhancements? Inhuman? Radioactive animal bite?

And yes, I got a definitive: "Hey this is probably the last season, but we got our 100 episodes in for syndication and we're going to wrap it up" vibe.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    I appreciate that you've noticed.
    In the past you’ve usually been the first one to comment on each new episode, so I indeed noticed your absence.

Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    Also, while I don't know if it HAS been confirmed or not, this feels like the Last Season.
    I thought I’d seen somewhere that it was confirmed.

And fact is, I’m okay with that. I’ve been enjoying this season—agents in space is a hoot—but the fourth season was blah and third season wasn’t that great either. At this point, I’m ready for everyone to reminisce a little more, kick some blue alien tail, and then ride off into the sunset, or maybe a nice supernova.

Spoiler: MCU Speculation
    Show
    Also, I’m wondering if they’re going to wrap this up in time for Infinity War.

The headlines keep promising that we’ll see “every character in the MCU” in the next movie, and since Coulson is by definition grounded in the MCU, it would make sense if they brought him back for a swan song.

Spoiler: Let It Go, Let It Go...
    Show
    Originally Posted by Red Fel
    That's not a good sign for the series. I've been watching it since the beginning…. And my first instinct was to end it already.
    Agreed. It’s definitely time.

Spoiler: Translation Required
    Show
    I…have no idea what any of this means.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't seen it anywhere confirmed this is the last season. It's just a lot of people in this thread are very certain of it anyway.

12. - Top - End - #222

Spoiler: Translation Required
    Show

I…have no idea what any of this means.
    The actress playing Mrs Take Your Arms Off is a semi famous Disney child star that Disney is letting just be a true out and out psychotic evil character.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-03-05 at 03:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I haven't seen it anywhere confirmed this is the last season. It's just a lot of people in this thread are very certain of it anyway.
    It is not definite either way on last season or not, but they've said they're writing the season finale as a series finale just in case.
    Now with half the calories!

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    And yes, I got a definitive: "Hey this is probably the last season, but we got our 100 episodes in for syndication and we're going to wrap it up" vibe.
    AoS has been syndicated for a couple years now. UTV, the CW and one other channel I'm forgetting. It's why they didn't bother with season box sets in the U.S. after s2--they figured they make more with early syndication.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Been lurking for the last few seasons, only catching up with ti way after they air first time but not worrying about spoilers and IMO AoS problem is they keep re-tooling. The post CW retool made sense, and the first half of season 2 made sense as it was just secret shield doing secret shield things. But then we got Gonzales, HIVE, Hydra 3.0, SHIELD coming out into the open, the framework, and so on. You take a look at a lot of successful shows over the last 30 years, even ones with myth arcs, (like the trope codifier Babylon 5), they may have their arc villains and their big events, but the basic backdrop of "life on a space station" or "N city criminal investigations department", or whatever else doesn't change. Everything's happening against that common backdrop and as a result get all the rough edges filed off. But AoS is so busy re0-inventing the backdrop every half a season they've never got the serial numbers filed off. Old rough edges are replaced with new ones on a regular basis.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

for the ending of tonight's episode.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Oh gawd. The “fear dimension.”

The shark has officially been jumped.

Spoiler: Drama, Drama, Drama
    Show
    Daisy’s big screaming fit at Coulson, and her general emotionalness, just feels overdone.

And what’s with everyone coming down on Coulson for not telling them about a personal medical condition? It would be a distraction to no purpose, and would certainly degrade team morale. Coulson made the right call, which was for the benefit of the team and their missions, but it ended up being milked for more drama.

All of it screams “filler episode.” None of this was remotely necessary.

Spoiler: Just Shoot the Guy
    Show
    All through the tedious conversation with not-Deathlok about how the last five seasons were just in Coulson’s head, I was waiting for Coulson to pull that .50 cal and nail the thing.

For one awful moment I thought they might actually do it—retcon the entire series into a dream—until they cut back to Daisy in the situation room. But then more drama, more pointless delay and self-doubt from Coulson, all to wring a little more of…what, I’m not sure, before Random Technobabble Device #938 plugs Interdimensional Rift #274.

Totally, completely pointless. Coulson should’ve blasted the fear-thing as soon as it said it wasn’t real. What more do you need?

Spoiler: Wedding
    Show

Urf.

Just urf. Nothing like saccharine forced emotion to cap off an episode of forced drama.

And Fitz and Jemma being the grandparents of what’s-his-name…double urf. Trite and contrived.

If this is the best they can do, I’m officially rooting for cancellation.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Yup, this was a step down. More in the box.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, let's start with all of the emotional melodrama. The lines felt so cliched it was like I was watching Once Upon a Time. You're too valuable to sacrifice! But I have to! SHIELD has to live on! We can't be there for her forever! On and on and on... Terrible soap opera.

Deke is the new Lincoln? Deke is the new Lincoln. And any enjoyment I may have of this character is forever tarnished by the fact that Daisy just has to have a boy-toy in every season. Well, he'll have to die, especially because - no big surprise - he is related to the core cast because everyone important is. Honestly, I saw it coming and it still annoyed me.

Dethlok is back! And any joy I had was immediately tarnished by the fact that it was just super convenient that he showed up, to the point that Fitz actually pointed that out for us, and it was basically just another call-back by the writers. "See? Last week Creel, this week Dethlok! Want some Hive, too? Sure thing!" Ugh.

Hey, remember Little Miss Sociopath 2018? She's not in this episode, because plot!

Let's talk about Detective Sherlock Fitz over here. "Apparently a dimension is bleeding over into ours," he says, after seeing footage of an underground forest. Okay, maybe. "Apparently it's fueled by our fears," he says, after seeing a Kree. What the actual crap? He's just a plot device, now. Ugh.

And let's talk about the sheer, magnified stupidity of Coulson seeing a dead man and just letting him talk. Seriously, "Whatever you see, shoot first," but no, let him talk. All a majestic quantity of stupid to justify padding the episode, letting Dethlok cameo, and raising Coulson's question about his sanity, which is immediately set aside because...

... wedding! Okay, this was admittedly long-anticipated, but it's almost frustrating that it came this way. Particularly with the - gasp! - totally unexpected reveal about Deke. Ugh. I wanted this to happen, but I wanted it to be sincere, not forced and rushed. Way to take the one thing I really wanted to see in this and just chuck it.

Oh, and in case nobody noticed, everyone was there, except Yoyo, who was apparently missing the wedding, sitting by herself in a bed, where earlier that day Nightmare Robo-Simmons had tried to murder her. All alone. Let's not dwell on that, shall we?

Overall, a hideous bag of cliches, contrivances, and rushed plot devices. Loathing.

19. - Top - End - #229

Let me explain.

No, there is too much.

Let me sum up.

I hate anniversary episodes.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually would have liked if the entirety of AoS really was Coulson's dying delusions. And I hate that cop out ending.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Overall, a hideous bag of cliches, contrivances, and rushed plot devices. Loathing.
    Agreed on all points. You detailed all the ridiculous that I didn’t have time or patience to dwell on.

Just one more point to mention: after all the drama, all the outbursts, all the buildup, and all of what seemed like goodbyes to Coulson—and after he stupidly sits there and listens to the fear-phantom instead of just shooting it already—after all of that, Coulson walks out just fine. And officiates at a wedding.

Gah. Pull the plug. I’m ready for this show to be done.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So what are the odds Daisy's fan is Ruby Ward?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: I'm a sap
    Show

The fear dimension thing felt like a contrivance, but I'm a sucker for getting the gang back together. So seeing Deathlok and the rest of the cavalry come in after they basically implied that nobody from SHIELD is left made me emotional. Cause, the only sane people should have left SHIELD years ago.

Wedding, not so much, but more of a "wow, they finally get their happy ending" relief. I remember early on us trying to guess which of the two was going to get brutally murdered because Whedons can't let happy couples lie.

Also, same feeling I had before, the show kind of feels ready to end. They've done basically all they can with the format, so I'm ready. I'll miss the characters and wish they were more integrated into the larger MCU, but I'm ready.

Edit: This was the 100th episode and feels like it was written with a nod toward that and the past of the show.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-03-13 at 11:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

FYI, the Dimension of Dreams is an actual thing in Marvel comics. It's ruled by a Doctor Strange foe called Nightmare.

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield...ams-explained/
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-03-13 at 01:11 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Spoiler: I'm a sap
    Show

The fear dimension thing felt like a contrivance, but I'm a sucker for getting the gang back together. So seeing Deathlok and the rest of the cavalry come in after they basically implied that nobody from SHIELD is left made me emotional. Cause, the only sane people should have left SHIELD years ago.

Wedding, not so much, but more of a "wow, they finally get their happy ending" relief. I remember early on us trying to guess which of the two was going to get brutally murdered because Whedons can't let happy couples lie.

Also, same feeling I had before, the show kind of feels ready to end. They've done basically all they can with the format, so I'm ready. I'll miss the characters and wish they were more integrated into the larger MCU, but I'm ready.

Edit: This was the 100th episode and feels like it was written with a nod toward that and the past of the show.
    The show isn't done yet. There's plenty of time to Whedonize every couple in the show.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    FYI, the Dimension of Dreams is an actual thing in Marvel comics. It's ruled by a Doctor Strange foe called Nightmare.

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield...ams-explained/
    Ah, thanks. I was just about to ask if the Fear Dimension thing was from the comics, because it sure sounds like a thing from the comics.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The best season that was created.
    What's the name of this warrior Kree, this chick? She is hot

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Her name is Sinara and is played by Florence Faivre.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks a lot :-)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

So, new episode coming up tonight.

Just thinking about watching it feels like a chore.

Spoiler: The Fitzsimmons Lottery
    Show
    So, I'm betting that Fitz is Whedonized before the end of the season, leaving Jemma to wander lost and inconsolable through the cosmos, until the long years of her life are utterly spent.

Double Whedonization would be too romantic, because "see you on the other side" simply offers too much hope. Eternal separation through some unknown yet convenient slurpy-zappy-stone would give just the right edge to it.

Last edited by Palanan; 2018-03-16 at 04:54 PM.