New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Geometry request

My reference books are in a box someplace. Could somebody problem solve for me?

I have three spheres of diameter 1. I want them to sit in a channel of width 3/8 (depth is irrelevant, large enough that spheres do not hit the bottom). What is the minimum channel length?
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Geometry request

I make 2 and 3/8, assuming that the ends of the channel are shaped to exactly fit the spheres, by the following logic.

This is most easily done by counting parts. Divide each sphere into hemispheres. Each hemisphere that is in contact with a hemisphere of another sphere requires 1/2 lengths, since the spheres cannot get closer than touching and have radius 1/2. This gets us length 2. Now to account for the remaining two hemispheres. Since the channel is of width 3/8, the diameter of the circular profile of the sphere defined by the contact points with the channel is 3/8. Each edge hemisphere then requires 3/16 length channel to accommodate, and there are two of them, hence the remaining 3/8.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2017-05-02 at 10:37 PM.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Geometry request

Thanks, I appreciate the help! I came up with another way to logic through this and came to the same number, which is reassuring.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!