New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why do half-dragons exist from a lore perspective in DND

As long as it can physically be mated with, and is actually alive, a dragon can mate with it. You can have a Half-Dragon Tree. Not Treant, tree.

EDIT: That isn't to say you couldn't have a Half-Dragon Treant, but rather just clarifying that I don't mean a sentient tree-being with my example, I mean an actual freaking tree.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2017-05-20 at 06:38 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    As long as it can physically be mated with, and is actually alive, a dragon can mate with it. You can have a Half-Dragon Tree. Not Treant, tree.

EDIT: That isn't to say you couldn't have a Half-Dragon Treant, but rather just clarifying that I don't mean a sentient tree-being with my example, I mean an actual freaking tree.
    Yeah, this is pretty much thread over. Half-dragons CAN exist, so they do exist. Really, the rules say they can and it's up to the DM as to why or how often, as fitting to the campaign world.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Six limbs. They're actually a type of insect.
    Nah, that's probably just convergent evolution. The most likely cladistics location is that place that leaves the smallest amount of treats needing to evolve since the latest split (summarizing it too much and cutting some corners, but close enough).

I'd say archosauria are a good place for it, there is some good evidence that the last common ancestor of birds/dinosaurs and crocodiles was already more warm blooded and active than often assumed. Crocodiles have some pretty weird features after all, like a four chambered heart typically reserved for warm blooded animals that reverts to functioning like a three chambered one while diving and lungs that seem to be able to maintain a constant airflow without the need for birdlike air sacs for some semi-miraculous reason, making it very likely that the land crocs that were there ancestors were actually pretty close to modern mammals in activity. Fossil evidence like the structure of those creatures legs seems to support that idea. The main things we need to explain from there is functional wings, functional fire breathing and functional magic, and two of those things are pretty out there no matter where you start. (Unless maybe you think a bombardier beetle might be a good ancestor, than you could argue that number down to one.) Intelligence is also not really more of an obstacle than in mammals. Birds if anything are smarter than mammals on average, and even crocodiles get a surprising amount of smarts out of how small and primitive their brains appear.

Maybe those wings started as bony outgrowths similar to what's on the backs of aetosaurs, ankylosaurs and stegosaurs?

But if we find dragon milk I'm also not opposed to monotremes either, it seems like an interesting idea.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2017-05-22 at 04:30 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Well I suppose it can be a variety of reason, ammaratha cyndusk a song dragoness that shape changed into a human jeweller in waterdeep was Elminster's **** buddy and she eventually decided she wanted to bare him a child, which was difficult as a chosen of mystara he could control his fertility. She goes on a quest to visit other chosen of mystara to find a way to allow her to conceive a child despite this the one she asked originally refused but mystara was like fam do this for the girl. She later conceived Narnra shalace the silken shadow.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread necromancy. Please don't do that.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2018-12-04 at 09:58 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex