New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Combat rule question

When playing a battlmind, using a feat that adds psionic damage, do I still add my strength bonus to the weapon attack? Sorry, I'm just starting to game again

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Combat rule question

What's the feat/power? Generally yes, but Battleminds don't use strength.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    What's the feat/power? Generally yes, but Battleminds don't use strength.
    Iron Fist or Whirling Defense. When I hit with a melee weapon I still add my Strength mod to damage and the feat adds psionic damage as well, correct?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsonga View Post
    Iron Fist or Whirling Defense. When I hit with a melee weapon I still add my Strength mod to damage and the feat adds psionic damage as well, correct?
    No. Whatever the power tells you do, that's what you do. Only with the default melee basic attack or a power gained from str-based class do you do +strength modifier.

So Iron Fist does 1w+Constitution. If you were using a Rapier and had an 18 Constitution(+4 modifier) and no other options, you'd do 1d8+4 damage unaugmented. If you augmented it by 2 points, you'd do 2d8+4 damage.

(edit: and the damage would be untyped, not psionic)
    Last edited by MwaO; 2017-05-04 at 07:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

It's important to note that neither of the things that you mentioned is actually a "feat". Iron Fist and Whirling Defense are both *powers*.

Also, "psionic" isn't a damage type. It's a power source, which is a completely different thing. A lot of psionic attacks will tend to deal psychic damage *but only* if they specifically state that they deal psychic damage, which neither of the powers that you reference here do (they both deal untyped damage).
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank y'all very much! I thought it was a bit much, but honestly couldn't argue against it. Now I can

7. - Top - End - #7

Thank y'all very much! I thought it was a bit much, but honestly couldn't argue against it. Now I can
    A way to look at it is that 4e is a rule system of specific vs general. And in that context, players are given a lot of narrative control. But they're then limited to doing what they've been told they can do. With Whirling Defense, I can mark you and then you're at a penalty to attack anyone but me. And if I hit you, you don't have a choice in the matter.

And that's not absolute. Page 42 of DMG allows the DM to make rulings about what a cool idea can do - and you can also say, "Well, that seems like an interesting use near Whirling Defense, so I'll let you augment 2 throwing the brazier's flaming oil into Orc's face into every orc nearby you and you can then mark one of them."