New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Sunless Citadel IC 2

Spoiler: Tarak
    Show
    You're pretty sure the potions are all the same, and one of them is definitely Cure Light Wounds. Similarly, the gems all seem to be identical and you estimate the value of one of them at 20 gold.

The tree looks odd, aside from how hideous it is. If it weren't for the fact that it's apparently been growing, you would swear it's quite thoroughly dead.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Suga shakes his head. "Grenl said Durnn sent them down here. The druid must have used magic to control them. We at least saved them from that fate. Feagon, interested in the scale mail? That would better protect you. If you did that it would make carrying the bodies back outside still heavy but doable if we split the loads. Any idea what that wand does?"

"Plenty of oil here to get the tree burning. We'll want to get out of here quick to avoid the smoke."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Confirming his assumption about the potions, Tarak hands one to Suga and Feagon, and keeps one for himself, "Curatives, courtesy of the once Outcast."

The hobgoblin leaves the scale mail, quarterstaff, and shortbow lying out on the floor, while slowly turning the wand in his hand, "Your guess is as good as mine Suga. We've so many things that my sight reveals as magical, and yet we've no idea what they do. I'm sure we can locate someone in Knurl who can help us identify them."

After a quick examination of the tree Tarak returns to the other two, "I'm with Suga. I say we burn that damned thing down. Douse it in lamp oil, and then have Feagon fire it from afar so we're not too close when it lights."

Picking up the quarterstaff and turning it in his hands a few time, he tucks the handles of his kamas into his belt, and takes the five pints of lamp oil over to the tree and waits...

Spoiler: Magic Items
    Show
    I logged all the mundane and magic items on my character sheet. The last two battles Tarak dispersed the gold at the time, so everyone should keep their totals updated.

We REALLY need to invest in scrolls or a Wand of Identify(5750gp...YIKERS!)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon conisders for a few moments before answering.
    "I'm not sure... I don't think so. While the protection it offers is valuable, it would also hinder me considerably. Let me think on it."

As Tarak moves to the tree with the oil, Feagon sets the prepared arrow onto his bow. When everyone is set back, he fires. "Alright, we are done with this place."he mumbles as he looks sadly at the tree as they move off.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

While Feagon and Suga sort out the gear, placing the unclaimed items in Bradford's sack, Tarak drags the druid's body over and props him up against the base of the tree. Saying a silent prayer to Boccob, the hobgoblin douses the base of the tree with the five additional pints of lamp oil before returning to the group.

The three move back from the tree a short distance as Feagon readies his arrow and fires at the hideous, dead thing.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I propose that IF we are going to attempt to remove the town's folk from here(which we should), Suga can carry Bradford while Feagon and Tarak rotate turns between the now relatively heavy bag-o-loot and Sharwyn.

Move back to AW59-ish to fire the tree.

6. - Top - End - #36

The tree catches fire quickly. How much of the vegetation filling the large room you're in will burn is unclear, but leaving quickly seems like a good idea.
    Last edited by Kish; 2017-05-23 at 06:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

As the three hustle as quickly as possible under their heavy loads, Tarak glimpses back a time or two with an overwhelming feeling of satisfaction at the sight of the blazing tree, "Burn you evil, black-hearted thing."

Reaching the door beneath the sagging roof, the hobgoblin chucks the heavy sack out into the hallway with a heavy *THUNK*, "Wait for me in the hallway for a bit fellas, I want to check this room a little more thoroughly."

Tarak cautiously approaches the door he previously unlocked, studying the ceiling with each step. He snaps the door open and virtually leaps into the room, crosses and opens the hallway exit. Then turning around he begins flipping through the "scattered tomes and scrolls" on the rough wooden shelves of the north and east walls. He tries to hurry, attempting to put the strange sod floor and luminous fungus out of his mind. Then he turns his attention to the desk. Grabbing anything that appears magical in his sight, or otherwise valuable.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Check the room, near the entrance to the briar/tree area.
    *Cast Detect Magic
    *Three Perceptions checks to search the shelves and desk - "Take 10" = 20

Once finished he moves out into the hallway, and takes his turn carrying Sharwyn, passing the heavy sack of loot on to Feagon, and nodding to Suga.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-23 at 10:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"If this is payback...<grunt>... for not taking... <grunt>... the armor, I'll keep it in mind next time. " Feagon exaggerates as he takes the sack as they move out, shifting his bow to his morning star.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Spoiler: Presuming
    Show
    Presuming(always dangerous) that Tarak is not killed by some heinous trap or hidden monster while ransacking the evil druid's office space.

The hobgoblin shoots his elven friend a baleful look while staggering under the dead girl's weight, then shakes his head at the sight of Suga strolling along almost effortless with the dead man tossed over his shoulder. "I'm much too pretty for work like this."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-24 at 07:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Tarak finds a scroll that radiates Transmutation and one that radiates Conjuration, and a book with a title in Draconic that radiates Abjuration. All the auras are faint. Other than that, the written materials seem to be seasonal records of growth, precipitation, harvests, and similarly not-useful information about the surrounding lands, except for one book which is entirely in a language Tarak is completely unfamiliar with.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Sticking the scrolls and book into his backpack, Tarak returns to the hallway and the three set off to retrace their path.

As the three make their way down the corridor and through the deeper, slightly flooded sections of the complex, "I feel badly for our patroness, to lose two family members in such a fashion will be a heavy blow."

The hobgoblin's legs begin to tremble as he climbs the stairs leading upward, and barely makes it to the doorway before setting Sharwyn's body down heavily. "Okay, that's it, your turn Feagon!"

Looking around at the leaning and completely fallen stone bookshelves that fill the chamber, Tarak examines the litter of torn and burnt pages, bindings, and scrolls that form disordered piles in the corners. Passing his hand before his eyes, he casts his last Detect Magic spell for the day and does a quick search of the room.

As he's flipping through old, discarded manuscripts and scrolls, "You fellas wanna check out that....shrine out there?"

Show
    Set Sharwyn down at AB 14. We found one scroll in this room already, but Tarak casts Detect Magic, and will take 10 on three Perception checks here as well. Perception "Taking 10" = 20

Mage Armor has probably long expired. Out of 0 level spells, and used his Law Devotion for the day.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-24 at 05:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Carrying the armored knight along with everything else is a challenge for Suga that slows him down but there is no complaint from him about it. At the top of the stairs he puts the body down next to the other one and follows Tarak into the room with the dragon statue. "Check the statue too with your magic. It the Outcast was here for 10 years there's so much more that doesn't make sense." Suga searches the back side of the statue using his darkvision to ignore the shadows.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The original description of the room is here.
    "Dragon-carved granite blocks tile this chamber's walls and ceiling, though many are crumbled and broken, creating stony debris on the floor. A huge marble statue of a rearing dragon still stands at the curve of the western wall. The eye sockets of the dragon are empty, but a red glow lingers there, providing reddish light throughout the chamber. The effulgence casts an inky shadow behind the statue's wide wings. A crumbling 5-foot diameter circular redstone tile is inset in the floor in front of the rearing dragon carving. Runes are carved around the circular tile's inner edge."

Take 20 on Perception (=20) on the statue since Tarak is looking around. Also gives everyone a break from carrying the loads.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #43

Tarak finds another scroll. The statue itself radiates a strong aura of Alteration. Tarak also finds an intact book with the title in Draconic that looks like it might be valuable, though it doesn't radiate magic.

As Suga approaches the statue, something seems odd to him. He realizes that his darkvision seems to be strangely unable to penetrate one vaguely humanoid shadow lurking in the more mundane shadow cast by the statue, where no one without darkvision could possibly see it, just as that shadow moves in a way that no natural phenomenon would.

Show
    Map updated. Suga, Tarak, and Feagon are up. The shadow hasn't acted yet, but it looks about to lunge at Suga.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon makes a face at Tarak but doesn't say anything as he picks up the body.
    As they begin to move out again, he then responds. "Yes, a loss is always felt, two so close together many times worse, but to loose them this way... I do not envy the heartache. I can't imagine what it is like. As far as the manuscripts, we should take them to a sage if we can't decipher them. There may be clues hidden within it's lines."

15. - Top - End - #45

As Feagon and Tarak discuss the writings, Suga's enhanced sight picks out the moving shadow. "Enough talk, there's a shadow here!" Suga charges with his new magical dire axe, hoping it is enough to damage the thing.

Show
    Charge to X16
    Dire axe: (1d20+10)[27] crit: (on 19+): (1d20+10)[23] (+magic bonus?)
    damage: (1d12+5)[16] crit: (2d12+10)[23] Slashing (+magic bonus?)
    Miss chance if applicable: (1 is bad) (1d2)[1]

Now that I've used it, do I have any ideas on the axe's magic?

Will use Wall of Blades if needed.
    HP: 23
    AC: 17
    Touch AC: 11
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Tarak slips another scroll into his back pack, and is showing Feagon the draconic book when Suga starts yelling something about shadows in the adjacent room.

"What's he gettin' on about?"

Walking into the next room, the hobgoblin sees Suga charge at the wall swinging his ax about viciously. It takes a moment before he spots the dense shadowy form moving about independently. "What the....? Feagon get in here!"

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Move: AA16
    Cast: Mage Armor
    Quick Stats
    AC = 18
    HP = 20/23
    Spells/Abilities
    0's - 0/6
    1st - 2/5
    Law Devotion - 0/1

*Mage Armor(2 hours)

Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-26 at 08:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

As Suga calls out, Feagon drops the body and rushes forward.
    Seeing the shadowy creature, his brows furlough as he scowls.
    "Ehlonna! By your power, send this creature back to the nothing!" he calls out

Spoiler
    Show

Turn undead
    (3d6)[16]

18. - Top - End - #48

Suga's axe sweeps through the moving shadow, but contacts nothing solid. Feagon's prayer proves more effective, but though visibly weakened, the shadow reaches out toward Suga.

Spoiler
    Show

Touch attack: (1d20+3)[20] Critical threat check: (1d20+3)[22] Strength damage: (1d6)[1] Critical strength damage: (1d6)[4]

The axe seems more accurate than a normal axe would be, but it's hard to narrow it down any further than that against an opponent you couldn't actually make contact with.

Map is updated; Suga, Tarak, and Feagon are up.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Tarak heaves a sigh of relief when Feagon hits the shadow with his divine power. Surprised that the shadowy figure remains, the hobgoblin looks on helplessly as the malignant creature manages to land a blow on Suga. "Hit it again Feagon!"

When the cleric shakes his head and shrugs, Tarak wracks his brain trying to think of someway to help. Moving in behind his embattled friend he tries to reach out and protect him with a spell that will help ward him against the creature's atttacks.

Show

Move to Y16
    Cast Mage Armor on Suga - If he needs to make a touch attack to do so let me know.

Feagon is out of Turn Undead attempts for the day, the creature is immune to every spell on my list, as well as my nonmagical weapons. I presume Tarak knows this from the results of the Knowledge Religion check found HERE.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-26 at 03:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

The shadow's hand went right through Suga's shield to his hand, draining a small amount of the orc's great strength. He felt Tarak's magic flow over him. The shield was useless here, so he dropped it and wielded the dire axe with both hands. Not having any other options, the warblade tried again at what he knew best and chopped downward at the shadow.

Show
    Tried Wall of Blades in OOC but failed (AC13)
    Drop shield (free action)
    Attack two-handed

Dire axe: (1d20+7)[21] crit: (on 19+): (1d20+7)[17] (+magic)
    damage: (1d12+6)[14] crit: (2d12+12)[19] Slashing (+magic)
    Miss chance (bad on 1): (1d2)[2]

HP: 23/38
    AC vs shadow: 17 (3 dex, 4 mage armor)
    STR: 19/20
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

Suga's axe cuts through the shadow this time, causing it to collapse and disappear.

Spoiler
    Show
    300 XP each.

Tarak's spell picks up an aura of transmutation from the giant dragon statue.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

As Suga's dire ax dispatches the nebulous creature, Tarak claps the great orc on the shoulder. "Well done, friend. Are you alright?"

Drifting forward slow and staring up at the giant dragon statue, "This thing radiates a very old magic, of an...odd sort."

Tarak slowly begins to search the area for any clues as to what the alteration magic may be, and how the shrine was utilized.

Spoiler: Perception Checks
    Show
    Take 10 = 20

23. - Top - End - #53

The runes surrounding the redstone tile read, in Draconic script, Ea serpenta rau kaluva nyawisti.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    Let the sorcerous power illuminate my mind.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin studies the red tile carefully, then looks up at the dragon statue.

Turning to Feagon and Suga, "The inscription says something about allowing sorcerous power to illuminate one's mind."

Standing up and scratching his head for moment, "If I had to take a guess, one would stand here," pointing to the tile, "and ask the statue for knowledge of some kind."

After a moment's silence, "That's just my guess though, and the shrine's magic is the alteration school, suggesting the supplicant would be 'changed' in some way. I can't speak for either of you, but I'm not of a mind to experiment to determine its actual purpose."

Moving back to the previous doorway to retrieve the bulging sack of loot, "Come on. Let's get out of here. It will give me great peace of mind to leave this place behind forever."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-27 at 01:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"Those words mean nothing to me..." Feagon says after he ponders for a few moments. ...again, something for the sage, I suppose. Yes, let us be done with this place if we can find no more clues." With that, the elf moves to the body and hoists it up again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feagon can heal the ability damage tomorrow, before it has a chance to set in.

26. - Top - End - #56

Suga is impressed with the power of his new axe and feels its balance again. His arm was slightly weaker from the shadow's touch but the axe made up for that. Once he recovered from the undead's touch it'd be a nice gain.

"That thing's touch? I'll get over it. It's too bad we can't figure out this statue. The last time we got past something needing magic we made out nicely." He nods and picks up Bradford's body then leads the way back.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

As everyone starts picking up their loads, Tarak looks at Suga, "I suppose I could tell you the proper words to say if you want to stand on the tile there and give it a shot?"

Moving toward the exit, "I'll just be over here, though. The words are, 'Ea serpenta rau kaluva nyawisti.' "

28. - Top - End - #58

"Ha! That's all it takes to cast magic? Should have told me beforehand." Suga puts the body down beside the statue. He stands in front of it and tries the words Tarak said. He has to have Tarak repeat the words several times before the orc thinks he gets it right.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

A puff of flame envelopes Suga. It dissipates almost instantly, not burning him. Though Suga remains hideous, something about his bearing seems almost compelling now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Suga's Charisma is temporarily increased by (1d4+1)[2].

30. - Top - End - #60

Suga twitches as the flames erupt at him but they are gone before he can do much more. He feels more confident dealing with others. "That was easy. You'll have to teach me more later. Let's keep going."

Show
    Temporarily increased... until his death from old age right?
    Show