New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

The young man blinks at Feagon and Celesta, then visibly recoils at Suga. "Ah, who are you?" He gulps at his glass of wine.

If Celesta shows him the parchment, he reads it and frowns. "This is not--Ireena is my sister, Kolyan Indirovich's daughter. She hasn't been attacked by wolves. And Father's been dead for a week."

Closer to the bar, Ashlyn tells Tarak, "They seem to be constant. This is apparently beyond anything that was previously the case here--which makes sense; I wouldn't expect the town to survive if it kept up for very long. If it's safe to rest here tonight, they'll certainly be back by morning."

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Keeping one eye on his comrades gathered around the young lord, Tarak acknowledge's Ashlyn's summary of events.

"You spoke of your healing powers being expended for the day. If I may be so bold, m'lady, perhaps you could add your watch to ours....so to speak. None of us will do these people any good if we're exhausted. The men that went to repair the barricade in the street seem capable enough for a watch, accompanied by one of us of course. You, me, and the elf will need the most rest, but even my...um larger friends there need time to recover, though they likely won't admit it. If you're open to such a thing, I would ask one small favor. As you can see, our little party has a bit of an....unusual make up, and a word from you would likely go along way to assuring these town folk."

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Firbolg in the Playground

Suga sat back in the chair, careful not to let his size break it. It was good to actually sit and relax for a change without roughing it. He was sure there were more of those things to fight tomorrow whatever they decided to do. He let the rest of the group figure out the when and where.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

"How did he die? In one of the attacks? How is everyone dealing with the bodies of the fallen?" Feagon asks, critical of the young man.

5. - Top - End - #1355

Ashlyn starts to demur, "I'm hardly well known around here..." but before she finishes the sentence, she can't help but take in the conspicuous lack of social graces among your party, and finishes, "but I can encourage others to listen to you."

"If they aren't stopped, we'll all be dead in days," Ismark tells Feagon, then stops to drain his glass and fill it again before, finally, raising his eyes back to the elf and saying, "The zombies didn’t get my father; the infection began after Kolyan was already dead, thank the gods. No—it was the master of the castle, or his servants, that killed Kolyan Indirovich!”

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Placing a hand on the paladin's shoulder, "That would be much appreciated."

The hobgoblin fishes through his backpack and pulls out a vial of thin, light blue liquid and downs in quickly.

Spoiler: CLW Potion
    Show
    healing (1d8+1)[8]

Sauntering over to Suga, "I'm gonna go fetch the horses real quick. I'll be right back." Tarak ducks out of the tavern, observes the towns folk rebuilding the barricade momentarily, and disappears into the shadows
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-09-22 at 08:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon arches his eyebrows at the drunkards comment, looking at his companions and including Ashlyn in his gaze before answering.
    "The master of the castle or his servants? Who is this master and whereabouts is the castle?"

8. - Top - End - #1358

Griffon

"Sounds like a crappy master", Celesta comments and takes a big swig, "Damn, I needed that! So anyway, why do you follow this dude, if he's so awful?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kish, how much for the ale and food? Enough to cover the whole group, and the paladin if she joins.
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-09-25 at 02:56 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

9. - Top - End - #1359

Spoiler: meals
    Show
    If Celesta buys a meal and a mug of ale for each of you and Ashlyn, it'll be 1 gold, 5 silver total, pretty standard for an inn.

"A few months ago, he who rules the castle--that devil Strahd--tried to pay us a visit. I don't know why. However, my father bravely stood up to him, using the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. Then the attacks began. So, I suppose, you could say you've seen why no one challenges his rule," Ismark says bitterly. "The castle is...just head out of town," he gestures vaguely toward the west, "and keep going. If the wolves don't kill you first, which they probably will, you'll reach it." He takes a drink and adds, "Then you'll wish the wolves had killed you."

Spoiler: Tarak
    Show
    The air outside appears almost eerily still, for the moment. The people who emerged from the tavern finish rebuilding the barricades, and the one who came from across the square goes back into Bildrath's Mercantile.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Silently observing the simple folk disappear back into their respective buildings, the hobgoblin pulls up his hood. He then darts toward the building across the street and ducks low against the wall. He remains perfectly still, turning his gaze back and forth between the street the party came up and the one it intersects. Tarak pulls open the sleeve of his long, loose-fitting tunic and with a flurry of tiny wings, Whisper lands on his shoulder, "Help me keep an eye out will you little one?"

After a couple of minutes he slips around the corner, and staying close to the walls of the buildings he begins the slow process of retracing their route back toward their first encounter.

Spoiler: Kish
    Show
    I don't know if you'll need these but here you go.
    Stealth 1 (1d20+15)[30]
    Stealth 2 (1d20+15)[22]
    Stealth 3 (1d20+15)[16]
    Stealth 4 (1d20+15)[35]

Perception 1 (1d20+14)[30]
    Perception 2 (1d20+14)[31]
    Perception 3 (1d20+14)[18]
    Perception 4 (1d20+14)[19]

*+2 from Aid Another by Whisper(bat familiar) on Perception checks

Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-09-25 at 06:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Who would be the overlord to this area, above what Strahd would have?

"You've never seen this lord before? Has his family been recently invested? Undead and wolves infesting this area... well, it looks like a large contingent of soldiers is needed."

12. - Top - End - #1362

Show
    Leaving the square you left the animals outside of, you find them, shifting nervously. Nipper greets you with a deafening and unhappy-sounding noise, his eyes showing white all around.

Spoiler: Feagon
    Show
    You can't be sure what country you're technically in after crossing the mountain. If it's still the one where you last stayed, you're still not sure who's in charge there--beyond that the largest temple in that last city was a temple to Hextor, which isn't a good sign. More knowledge of geography might help.

Spoiler: Celesta, Feagon, Suga
    Show
    "He's ruled for a thousand years," Ismark says. He gulps his drink, fills his glass again, and finally says, "Okay, Ireena might know more exactly how long. But no, he's certainly not new. As for his family..." He stops there.

"I didn't realize Strahd was even a person," Ashlyn says. "The way people here use it, I thought it was some local curse word."

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon blinks at the drunks response. "A thousand years??? And no one has thought to do something about this or reached out for help in the larger world?" he says a bit apprehensively. "Or is this some bit of exaggeration or a long family line?"

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Breaking from the shadows, Tarak moves in on the horses and gathers up the reigns. Almost certain he'll get bit for his efforts, he runs a hand along the side of Nippers face and speaks in a soothing tone, "Settle down you big sack of crazy bad temper. Shhhh.....shhh......"

Spoiler: Handle Animal
    Show
    (1d20-1)[15]

With a quick assessment, the hobgoblin determines that the situation called for speed more so than stealth, so he begins to the lead the horses quickly up the street toward the tavern.

15. - Top - End - #1365

Suga is mostly enjoying a relaxing drink, partly listening but he lost track of whose who with all the names being mentioned. The mention of more zombies to kill gave him a little smile. It was more time to practice the Sublime Way and his new axe enjoyed dealing with them. He touched the remaining white gem on his belt. His wounds healed more and the gem turned to black. Someone ruling for a thousand years? That doesn't sound right short of them being an elf. He continued to let the others figure things out.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Belt (2d8)[9]
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

16. - Top - End - #1366

Spoiler: Celesta, Feagon, Suga
    Show
    Ismark looks at Feagon like he thinks at least as poorly of the elf's intelligence as Feagon does of his. "I'm going to sit here and drink," he says, enunciating clearly in the fashion of someone who's quite drunk both at the moment and regularly. "Go speak with Madam Eva if you want to help—she’s west of town. Or talk to Ireena. Perhaps she’ll give you the amulet—much good it will do you. But Ireena won’t leave the mansion. She’s sitting vigil by our father’s body to make certain he doesn’t become a zombie.”

Show
    "What's that?" asks a voice from the north, just out of Tarak's sight. "Fresh meat, or one of those shamblers?"
    "Dunno. Worth checking out, though. I ain’t eaten fresh in a week or more—I’m famished!"
    "“What about these here, then?”
    “I said fresh, didn’t I? These rotting buggers ain’t much better then I’d turn up in my barrow."

Before whoever is arguing can decide whether to come investigate the horses' noises, Tarak reaches the square. The horses don't resist as he pulls them past the barricade; though they still look close to bolting, it's the way he's going, not back.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Quickly and quietly lashing the horses to the barricade, and whispers, "shhhhh.....shhhh.....I'll be right back. I promise." Ducking into the shadows, the hobgoblin follows the direction of the voices to the north as silently as possible.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    stealth (1d20+15)[24]

18. - Top - End - #1368

Show
    A distinct charnel smell comes to your nose. For a few seconds, you think it's no worse than what you smelled during any of the battles with the zombies, but then it intensifies and it becomes much worse. Half a dozen shambling shapes appear to be making their way through the streets in front of you: zombies, unless you're much mistaken, and you think the overpowering smell is coming not from them, but from inside a building on the east side.

"You smell something? Something odd?" a voice from inside the building says. You can't tell if it's addressing you, but it doesn't sound as nauseated as you think you would if you spoke right now. In fact, it sounds hungry.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Spoiler
    Show
    Tarak slides over toward the building looking for a window or a door that he can peak in while trying to avoid the attention of the shambling figures in the street. Pressing up against the building he pulls up a mask* to cover his mouth and nose.

*Auran Mask

20. - Top - End - #1370

Show
    The stench becomes overwhelming as Tarak peers into the building. The only light is that coming in from inside, but his darkvision makes out three humanoid shapes with glowing red eyes. "Definitely something," one of them says. "Haven't smelled it before, but smells good. Not as good as human, but worth getting a tooth into."

(Make a Fortitude save, with the bonus for the Auran Mask.)

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon does his best to keep the disdain of the man's disdain for him from entering his face, failing but probably not noticed by the drunk. "West of town, eh? What about he mansion? And will she see us?"

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin nearly gags on the smell, as he moves slowly away from the opening into the building. Slipping quietly into an area of deeper shadows, he motions with his fingers toward the building while muttering softly under his breath. Moments later the distinct sound of the heavy footfalls of someone running moves past the building toward the zombies further up the way.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Ghost sound of someone running up the street....away from Tarak's current position

After a few more moments to insure the coast is clear, Tarak turns and slips back toward the barricade to retrieve the horses.

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    lol thought I could rustle up the 134 xp needed to go up to next level.....oops
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-10-12 at 08:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1373

With Feagon's the conversation with Ismark seemingly done, Suga thinks abotu Tarak being gone so long. He turns to Feagon and Celesta. "Gonna go check on him." He heads out the door. If anyone is outside he'll ask which way Tarak went since the hobgoblin would have stood out to the locals. Failing that, he'll use his sense of smell to figure out which way he went. Hopping over the barricade he'll quietly try to find Tarak without going too far at first.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1374

Spoiler: Feagon, Celesta
    Show
    "Sure, why wouldn't she? Actually, she might not open the door, with all the zombies. Just go south, you can't miss the mansion. It's the biggest house in town." Ismark takes another drink.

Spoiler: Tarak, Suga
    Show
    Suga finds the horses tied up just inside the square. Before he can leave the square, Tarak comes hurrying back from the north. The square is deserted except for the two of you and the horses, and it doesn't appear anything is pursuing Tarak.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, if you don't mind, I'll let her know you sent us along to her, eh? In the mean time, enjoy your drinks." the elf says with a small, almost mocking, bow the drunken sod.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Tarak emerges from the dark, slightly out of breath and looking somewhat chagrined. Spotting Suga, he stands up a bit straighter and tugs on his loose-fitting tunic, "Hey, Suga! I fetched the horses, and...uh....I thought I would take a quick look around to see just how bad things are. Zombies shuffling down the street up that way, but more disturbing than that even....ghasts....handful of 'em, cookin' up whatever they can get their hands on over a dinner fire."

Helping untie the horses, "What the others find out? Anything of value? We best get rested up, we're gonna be in for a slog tomorrow."

27. - Top - End - #1377

Suga considers Tarak's findings. "Ghasts so close? If they are busy now is the time to attack. Better to surprise them and control the fight then they do that to us tomorrow. Quick in and out strike. Let's go get the others. Ashlyn too." He heads inside itching to bash a few more undead tonight but waits on Tarak to report his findings to the others.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Looking at Suga askance for a bit, "Uh...sure, I guess that makes sense. It is kind of unsettling that they're that close. You sure you're up for it big guy? You too some pretty nasty hits back there."

Following Suga inside, he splits off to gather Ashlyn and bring her over to the table with the others. Once they're assembled, "Discovered a clutch of ghasts just up the street....I beat a hasty retreat, but Suga here thinks we should hit 'em whiles they're unawares. I know we're a bit run down from what we've been through, but the fact that these ghasts have set up so close to our little stronghold here is kind of alarming."

29. - Top - End - #1379

"Healing belt did its wonders. Can't count on it anymore today but have two small potions. Strike quick and true, in and out."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1380

Griffon

"I got my drink, let's go then!" Celesta eagerly grabs her axe. Noticing the pain in her limbs, she reaches for a potion in her pack and downs it.

Spoiler: CMW potion
    Show
    (2d8+3)[10]
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-10-18 at 02:10 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart