Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

"Wait," the mayor says. "What was that about the village being overrun?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"I think one of my companions can explain it better, but the threat was neutralized and the dark dwellers have been freed from their oppressors." Feagon fumbles, not sure how to react to the mayor.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Looking back and up at Suga then Feagon, "Yeah, about that....um, the big bad guy...fella called himself 'The Outcast' held sway over a goblin, hobgoblin, bugbear clan and appears to have been creating a army of vicious little twig-beasts. Ohhh, that reminds me, we encountered some of those little bastards on the way back to Oakhurst the other day so that means they're out and about so to speak. I reckon once he had enough of 'em he was probably gonna come at this village seein' as how it's the closest settlement and all. Heck, his lackey already killed the former mayor didn't he? Anyway, if you see any suspicious lookin' shrubs movin' about you might wanna steer clear because they'r e poisonous. We've a few doses of the antidote to that poison, of course, found it in the Citadel where Mr. Outcast was conducting his little experiments."

The hobgoblin takes a couple of steps towards the door, "We just wanted to let you know. Seems we've done your community a pretty good turn."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon stifles a grin as best he can from Tarak's comments as he bows to the mayor and makes for the door, holding it open.
    Once outside, and out of earshot, he says "Do you think he will take that well or will his pride get hurt? I always have a hard time trying to read the humans."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Suga isn't thrilled with the mayor, but offers some advice. "Set up some hunting parties for the twig-beasts. Don't want kids to go missing, or those things spreading." Short of a response from the mayor, the orc follows the others out.

"Food and rest for a day or two to heal these wounds sounds good. Maybe the temple can figure out what some of this magic is?"
    Last edited by Cavir; 2017-06-28 at 10:32 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #126

"I'm glad to hear about your success," the mayor says to Feagon. His emotions are hard to assess, and his answer (deliberately?) politically noncommittal; you can't tell whether he'll act on your advice or not.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

With their business concluded with the Mayor, Tarak just shakes his head at Feagon, "I've no help for you there. Readin' people isn't exactly my forte either. He seemed very...guarded with his language, but I suppose that's to be expected from anyone in his position."

To Suga, "Yes! Food, drink, and a warm bed will do this hobgoblin some good!"

After returning to the inn and reserving their rooms again, Tarak purchases drinks for everyone while they wait for their food to arrive, "Well fellas, whaddya say? Keep this little band together and try to unlock the mysteries of that dwarven scroll of Suga's? I've some fair knowledge of Knurl, having grown up there. Shouldn't take us too long to get there by the New Road, and we can get some of these items identified proper like. Maybe....just maybe, some of my contacts in town can help us get started in tracking down the location of this...this....Forge that The Outcast mentioned."

Taking a long draw on his ale and draining it, he slams the mug down, "I'm up for it, and would be damned hard-pressed to find better companions!"
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-06-29 at 07:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Suga eats the fresh meat heartily. "Knurl and the forge sounds good. If Feagon could heal us we can head out all that much sooner. Maybe an extra day so he can have spells ready for the trip."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"Not sure who is hurt the most" he says as they walk, looking over each of his companions "But I have a little bit of the goddess' magic left to heal for today. If that isn't enough, I can finish us off tomorrow. Until they, let us rest."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

After Feagon burns through the remainder of his healing powers, and the three retire to the tavern for an evening of food, drink, and merriment, Tarak gets well and thoroughly drunk. As the shaggy hobgoblin passes out face down on the now familiar tavern table, his companions share a look and shake of their heads. It's become embarrassingly evident that he simply can't hold is drink.

In the morning, however, Tarak is up early, cheery and clear-eyed.

"What do you say fellas, let's blow out of this little burg. Should be a few days to Knurl, so we can stop and buy some provisions if need be. Oh, and Suga, I almost forgot, the priestess at the temple told us last time that she does not have the capability of identifying these magic items, so we'll just have to wait 'til we get to Knurl."

Spoiler: Overland Travel
    Show
    I have no idea how you want to handle this Kish, so just let us know and we'll roll with it.

CHEERS! Onto the next adventure!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon, while tending to be a bit somber and dry, joins the others and relaxes in their company, but not to the extant the others do. As Suga and Tarak proceed to drink to epic proportion, the elf drinks rather sparingly, reflecting on where his travels have taken him. Not the path he anticipated, by any means.
    Once the others are out, he sits back in his chair and reflects on things for the rest of the night, looking a bit haggard in the morning.

Once his companions are up, he straightens and stretches for a bit. "Well, let us take a day here gathering supplies and reinvigorating ourselves before we leave. Both of you seem a bit worse for wear at the moment." he says as he looks at the empty mugs still littering the table.

12. - Top - End - #132

After healing yourselves, you circle around Adri Forest. It's approaching the hottest time of the year now and it's bright and sunny.

At the gates of Knurl, the hobgoblin guards eye you with varying degrees of suspicion--the least for Tarak and the most for Feagon, the opposite of what you would expect when entering a human city. Even from the gate, you can see that the city is easily the largest and the most racially mixed you've ever seen.

"Adventurers?" one of the guards says, primarily addressing Tarak. "Welcome to Knurl."

13. - Top - End - #133

"Aye. Thanks." With the wilds of the forest behind them, Suga straps his dire axe to his back and slings his shield. He passes through the gate and looks around, waiting on the other two.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Getting the vibe from the guard, the hair on the back of Feagon's neck rises. Must be what some of the other races feel when the enter our cities. he thinks, feeling the tables turned.
    Keeping his head down, he gives the guard a nod as he follows Suga and Tarak. Once past the guard, he murmurs "I take it you got this?" as he takes his cloak and covers his head and ears, almond shaped eyes shadowed as best he could as they entered Knurl.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The walk from Oakhurst to Knurl had been enlightening and oddly refreshing. He didn't really consider himself an "outdoorsy" type, but after the unnatural sights of the Sunless Citadel, the Adri Forest in high summer had been pleasant and soothing to his troubled mind. The tales exchanged along the road had been a welcome relief as well. From the moment he had set foot in Oakhurst it had been go-go-go, he had hardly gotten to know his companions beyond their fighting capabilities; which, although quite telling, hardly painted a complete picture. As the three had settled into the routine of travelling overland, the stories came easier and their bond, if anything, had grown stronger. Oh there had been times when each of them had been a bit 'guarded' or reticent about their pasts, but that was entirely natural. Truth be told, he fancied himself a bit of a hero in light of recent events, and as such hadn't shared with his new-found friends some of the seedier elements of his life growing up in Knurl.

So it was that he approached the gates of the city with a little trepidation. Who would recognize him? Surely no one. When he had left Knurl he had, indeed, been no one....HA! You're still a no one, you damned fool! The biggest mistake people oft make is that they believe everyone else is paying attention to who they are and what they do.

With that in mind he strode confidently to the guard, "You've pegged us for certain; adventurers seeking fame and fortune in your fair city." With a wry chuckle, "Of course, I suppose plenty of rubes just like us cross through these gates each day, making it a bit easier for you to hit your guess if I'm not mistaken."

Sweeping his gaze across each of the guards furtively, he lowers his voice just a bit, "If anyone is likely to know the pulse of the city, I would think it would be the gate guards - is there any news about town that we should be aware of? Any troubles or things we should keep our eyes out for?"

Once past the gates Tarak will reach over and tug at Feagon's hood, "Take it from me my friend, you don't....um....alleviate, people's suspicions by hiding your face. Walk openly and confidently, otherwise you'll make yourself a mark for both the law-and-order types as well as the less reputable." Looking up at Suga and laughing, "Besides, our friend here will most certainly encourage people to keep their curiosity to themselves and at a distance. Most the people of Knurl are humble folk trying to eek out whatever living they can; many with families and mouths to feed. They're not lookin' to get into a scrape with someone that cuts as menacing of a figure as Suga." With a harmless jab to the orc's ribs, "Of course we know he's as cuddly as a stuffed bear, but folks 'round these parts don't. Ha!"

"Come. I know of a little chapel to Boccob on this side of town. Not much to it really, just a couple of priests...mostly make their living divining people's fortunes."

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    I, of course, just made that last bit up. Thought maybe we could go see about getting some magical stuff Identified.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-10 at 08:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

The guard smiles, though it looks more mechanical than actively friendly. "Nothing should trouble your stay here. I can direct you to an inn, if you want." He doesn't directly answer Tarak's question.

17. - Top - End - #137

Suga raises an eyebrow at Tarak, but with his facial distortions it just ends up becoming more level with the other one. "Cuddly? Not in the least. Yes, I want to know more about this sword-now-axe."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, I will take your advice." Feagon says begrudgingly.
    "If my ears end up on a spike, it'll be on your head." he says as a give a dark look that he can't hold for very long and breaks into a smile. "Let us make our way to the inn the guard suggested, unless you have other ideas."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin grins wickedly at Suga, "Well maybe 'cuddly' isn't the right word."

To Feagon, "If someone puts your ears on a spike, on my honor, I promise not to put the spike on my head." Tarak laughs too loud and too long at his own joke, before directly the trio down a side street. The streets aren't nearly so crowded here, but narrow and decidedly not affluent. Approaching a rather unadorned, simply tower-shaped chapel with the familiar pentagon and eye holy symbol of Boccob cut into the facade.

Just beyond the entryway, rows of bookshelves littered with parchment, scrolls, and seemingly random antiquities crowd in from every direction. The hobgoblin reaches into his pouch and pulls out a gold piece, loudly and deliberately clearing his throat he drops the coin into the offertory attempting to draw attention to himself, "Ummm....Hello!? We've come seeking the sagacity of the Lord of All Magic's oracles."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-14 at 09:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

After a moment, a middle-aged human man in robes hurries out from behind a bookshelf. "Hello, hello," he greets you. He blinks at the book he's carrying and sets it down carefully.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

With a sketchy little bow, Tarak motions to himself then his companions, "Name's Tarak, and this is Feagon and Suga." The hobgoblin noticeably puffs out his chest a bit, "We recently busted up a den of villains outside a little village, name of Oakhurst. We came into possession of a couple of magic items while doing them town folk a good service. I've the ability to discern that they be magical, and can even tell you what kind of magic, just can't divine the purpose nor function of their construction. Was wondering if we can hire out that kinda work, and if so what would the servants of the Lord of All Magic charge for such a thing?"
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-16 at 05:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Feagon bows to the fellow cleric as Tarak speaks. "Good tidings to you, Boccobian. I am Feagon, follower of Ehlonna. May her blessing be upon you." He says formally as the hobgoblin finishes.

23. - Top - End - #143

"Ah, yes, yes. I see why you came here. I can identify the things you want, for a suitable donation. Sixty gold pieces for each of them."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin scrunches up his face for a moment then looks at the other two out of the corner of his eye before sticking out his hand, "Done."

With a brisk shake, he collects Suga's ax, Feagon's wand, the feather token, and the odd "Nightcaller" whistle and lays them out on the table. Then he counts out 240 gold pieces, and places them on the table. "If you don't mind, I would like to watch."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-17 at 02:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

He chants, touching his holy symbol to each of the objects in turn.

"Hm, it seems to have a basic enhancement enchantment and an undead bane enchantment. Hm. Entangle--the wand will cast Entangle, thirteen more times. This can be broken to create a full-grown oak--though it won't crush anyone. And this whistle, hm. If you blow it over a grave, either at night or while all light is blocked from the grave, a zombie will come out and serve you. You can only use it once per week, and it won't work if you have two zombies already."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Handing the ax back to Suga, "While I would prefer to never see undead again, it gives me plenty of reassurance to know that it's in such capable hands."

Picking up the wand and turning it over to Feagon with a nod, "Quite useful, that. I believe I've seen you cast that spell before as well. Seems fitting to be in the hands of a faithful servant of Ehlonna." Picking up the Feather Token, "Perhaps this too....seems fitting to the...motif, some would say."

Looking at the whistle quietly for a moment, "Hmmm....intriguing item to be sure, and such fascinating magical enchantments. How much would the church give for such an item....if you've interest that is?"

While the man considers the offer of sale, Tarak steps back to Suga and Feagon, "Might be a good place to find out a bit more about that scrollcase and the dwarven forge as well, if you wanna ask."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-17 at 09:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Suga is impressed with his new axe's power. He skillfully swings it around a bit one handed, careful not to knock over some item that could blow up the shop.

The orcs pauses on Tarak's suggestion. "Good idea." He pulls out the scrollcase and offers it to the cleric. "Can you make any sense of this?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, I have. May open up my selection a bit, too. Give us a bit of flexability, so to speak. I think Ehlonna would approve." he says with a grin as he takes the items. As begins stowing them for easy retrieval, he nods at Suga's comment. "Great idea."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Somewhat disappointed that the scholarly adherents of Boccob were unable to tell them more about the mysterious map, and the lost dwarven forge the hobgoblin is none-the-less effulgent in his gratitude for their services.

Over the course of the next hour, the three navigate their way through the streets of Knurl, Tarak pointing out shops, attractions, and merchants both to be trusted and avoided. Thankfully the priests of Wee Jas were willing to purchase the strange whistle with very little haggling over price. It was not difficult to locate vendors willing to purchase some of the other items the three were willing to part with as well.

So it was, that by late afternoon, the three were in high spirits with their coin purses heavier and their stomachs rumbling.

Seeking out the inn recommended by the gate guards, Tarak secures lodgings, and the three sit down to eat, drink, and discuss plans.

Show
    Assuming market price(50%) for the Resist Elements(fire)potion and the Elixir of Fire Breath - that should be a party total of 3,655 gps minus whatever we spend on lodging/food for a couple of days.
    Suga is more than welcome to the Protection from Elements(fire) potion, and we don't have to sell the other potion nor the elixir if either of you have objections.

I need to go research reasonably priced items now.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-19 at 04:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

After an evening of pleasant food, drink, and conversation, during which Tarak was much more restrained...consuming in moderation, the hobgoblin awakens early and rouses his friends.

Over a light breakfast, the three discuss their future plans and having already decided to stick together the three arrive at a quick conclusion to follow up on the mysterious lost dwarven forge. With that, the group sets out to purchase goods and supplies with the coin from their previous adventure.

Leading Suga and Feagon past the merchant's bazaar, "Nah, mostly bobbles and overpriced goods, follow me."

After several minutes, the three arrive at a street lined with clean, utilitarian looking shops. There are several armed and armored figures moving about, some rather rough looking, but most seem quite business like if not friendly. "These shops cater mostly to adventure seekers and sell-swords. We should be able to find most of what we're looking for here."

Hours later the three emerge from Expedition Street with their purchases and a certain swagger in their step. As Tarak strides down the street, leading his donkey by it's harness, "One last stop, to see if we can finally crack the mystery of this strange brew." He fishes out the flask of musky liquid recovered from the kobold leader, and holds it up, "We've been carrying this damned stuff for what seems like forever!"

A couple of blocks from their inn, they locate an alchemist's shop, stop and have the man identify the strange liquid.

Show
    Tarak will trade his green gem worth 20 gps to have the potion or whatever it is identified.

By mid afternoon the three are back at the inn, sitting at a table tucked away in the back eating a late lunch, "Suga, let's have a look at the scrollcase and map shall we?"

Show
    Outfitted and ready to go. Presuming that razorback can acquire what he needs/wants for Feagon in the OC.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-07-23 at 12:34 PM.