The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1457
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Suga had his eyes on some of the more martial items of note along Expedition Street. He had enough Wisdom to realize the importance of magic to heal himself to live and fight another day. Several merchants were interested in his exquisite dire axe but Suga would have none of that. He settled with getting a healing belt.

    Back at the Inn the orc pulled out the map. With a leg of lamb in one hand he studied the map along with the other two. "Let's find out who 'they' are?"

    Scroll
    Spoiler: Scroll
    Show
    The scroll case does not radiate magic. Inside it you find a map which seems to lead to a hidden area in the mountains north of Knurl, with writing on it in Dwarvish.
    Spoiler: Dwarvish writing
    Show
    "[illegible] Durgeddin's hidden forge...[illegible]...glorious work...[illegible]...radicate the orcish...[illegible]"
    , followed by a note in Common, in a different hand, that says, "Nothing to do with me, but monitor them in case they branch out."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Feagon follows Suga and Tarak as they maneuver through the various shops.
    While comforted by his fellows, he still feels the need, though he resists it, to cover his elven features.
    As they shop, he watches with an for analyzing their choices and chooses several items based on his ideas along with input for his allies, knowing they have more experience in these matters. Finally satisfied with his purchases, he walks out with a smile as they move to get something to eat and drink.
    "You know, this place isn't what I expected. Not really sure what I did expect, but it definitely wasn't this." he blurts out, knowing he sounded sheltered to the Suga and Tarak, but feels honesty is best.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I'll try to have all the equipment picked by Wednesday morning.

    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    After studying the map for minute, Tarak points to a couple of landmarks, "These are the mountains north of Knurl for sure, but I've never been up there and know almost nothing about them. Looks like Durgeddin's forge it's hidden away in a fairly remote area. Gonna take some time getting up there. We should probably pick up some extra trail rations in the morning...I'm not much for woodcraft. You fellas up for setting out at first light?"


  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Grab extra food in the morning then head to the mountains? Good by me."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Extra rations purchased on char sheet.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Looking around Tarak's shoulder at the map, he nods. "I have some knowledge of the woodland areas but it is best if we plan on taking what we need. First light sounds good."
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Following the map, you find a concealed path that winds up the mountainside. It's obvious when you know where to look, but without knowing where to look, anyone could pass three metres away and never see it, and the mountain appears to be a sheer face otherwise.

    It's late afternoon when you find it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    Much to Tarak's surprise the travel hadn't been that arduous and the nights had been fair. When Feagon and Suga spot the concealed trail late in the afternoon, the hobgoblin casts a protective spell on himself and sets off up the mountain.

    "Feagon, keep an arrow notched to the bow. We'll go slow. I'll keep an eye out for any spore or signs of activity. Suga, engage that sniffer of yours, and let us know if anything's about."

    Although by no means a tracker, Tarak bends to examine the trail head for signs of any recent comings and goings...

    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    Take 20 = [30]

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Feagon nods and takes a few moments shifting his equipment around until he has his bow out and an arrow readied, if not the bow drawn itself. "Alright... lead on." he says as they make their way up the trail. He scans around as they move, trying to spot any signs of wild animals or ambush. As he thinks about it, he laughs quietly to himself to but Suga and Tarak hear. As they turn to him, he laughs a little louder. "This whole adventuring thing makes a person quite paranoid, does it not? I'm not saying without reason, but it gives one a different perspective on the world."
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    "My old life, I'd still be waiting for one or both of you to stab me in the back."

    Suga takes in the air, tasting the scent to get used to the area- the flora around, what animals around, or whatever more dangerous life there was around here. Dire axe in hand, he takes lead on the newly found path.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    The path winds sharply around the mountain. As you ascend, Suga catches a distinct scent of dwarf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Suga pauses, his footwork instinctively in a ready stance even his upper body doesn't show it. He takes several sniffs in different directions. "We have company, smells like dwarf."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Can I figure out how many, direction, distance, emotion?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    "The smell's up ahead. Go openly or try sneaking. He or they may already know we're here."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    "I say we go openly but with caution. We have no reason to think he's a threat but, at the same time,
    we should show caution."
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    "Just to be on the safe side."

    Tarak reaches into his pack and pulls out a well worn piece of leather and mutters some words in the dragon tongue. With weapons drawn he nods at the others and rounds the sharp curve around the mountainside.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast Mage Armor(2hrs)

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    "An elf might be a better first sight for the dwarf ahead, with what we saw on the scroll. Or I'll go first anyway."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    The hobgoblin chuckles lightly at Suga's suggestion, "Elf, orc, or hobgoblin....does it really matter? When was the last time you met a welcoming and gracious dwarf? Hehehehe...." Continuing around the corner, Tarak slows to take in whatever he sees....

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    You go around a bend and see two dwarves in scale mail, apparently guarding the path. Both of them quickly aim bows at Suga. They're sixty feet ahead of you up the slightly sloping path.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    All of you can act before they do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    After the briefest hesitation, Tarak steps forward raising his hands,[dwarven] "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa....before you commence shooting, we would speak first. My name is Tarak; this is Feagon and Suga. We're simple adventure seekers led to this place by a mysterious map recovered on our last endeavor."

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Suga drops into a defensive stance, shield up with axe at the ready. "Hold your fire! Didn't come to kill dwarves. Smelled you from back there. Would have come sneaky up if we had wanted to."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wall of Blades is ready to go. Readied action to move 40' forward towards the dwarves if they fire.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Feagon, eyeing the dwarves but trying to keep the suspicion out of his eyes, keeps his arrow knocked even if he lowers the bow from pointing directly at them. He keep silent as he watches, listening without turning to make sure nothing sneaks up behind them.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Both the dwarves fire at Suga, who moves toward them. One reaches for another arrow; the other turns and hurries back along the trail. Both seem uninclined to talk.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Suga's readed action triggers and he moves forward, then:
    D2 Attack: (1d20+1)[4] Critical threat check: (1d20+1)[20] Damage: (1d8)[5] Critical damage: (2d8)[3]
    D1 Attack: (1d20+1)[16] Critical threat check: (1d20+1)[6] Damage: (1d8)[3] Critical damage: (2d8)[13]
    D1 moves 20 feet back up the trail. D2 is 20 feet from Suga, 60 feet from Feagon and Tarak; D1 is 40 feet from Suga, 80 feet from Feagon and Tarak. Both have clear line of sight to all of you.

    >> Feagon [20]
    >> Tarak [15]
    >> Suga [14]
    D2 [14]
    D1 [7]

    Feagon, Tarak, and Suga are up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    "Hey! It that's the way you want it, no running away!" Suga speeds towards the dwarves, going right past the closer one and chasing down the other dwarf to give him a taste of his new axe. "Stupid dwarves think orcs are dumb, but you two chose weapons you don't know how to use. I've seen human kids shoot better."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Charge at the farther dwarf. Going past not through the closer dwarf and assuming he can't do the AoO with a long bow but I could be in for a surprise and will try a tumble roll.

    Dire axe: (1d20+11)[15] crit: (on 19+): (1d20+11)[29]
    damage: (1d12+6)[12] crit: (2d12+12)[23] Slashing

    Tumble (1d20+6)[13] DC 25 for moving at full speed. Use Wall of Blades if need be on the AoO as long as that won't also interrupt the charge.

    Their +1 to hit is from their racial bonus vs orcs? Ouch
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    "Rude!"

    The hobgoblin launches himself at the nearer of the two dwarfs, swinging his kama low.

    Spoiler: Combat Action
    Show

    Charge the nearest dwarf: +2 Attack/-2 AC

    Attack: (1d20+11)[27]: Crit Confirm: (1d20+11)[14]
    Damage: [roll[1d6+2[/roll]; Crit Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

    AC: 18 -2(charging) =16
    HPs: 23/23

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    razorback's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Feagon gives out a small "harumph" as the two dwarves fire. "Rude, indeed." he says as he trains his bow on the dwarf on his left.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Feagon

    AC ~14; Current ~ 14
    HP ~ 24; Current ~ 24



    Standard Action - Attack
    (1d20+6)[26]

    Damage
    (1d8)[4]

    Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+6)[20]
    (2d8)[8]

    Effects~
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    The dwarves both fall without a word. No other enemies are in view.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    100 XP each. Each dwarf has a longbow, 19 arrows, scale mail, a dwarven waraxe, and a heavy steel shield.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    With both dwarves down, Suga stops to look and smell for other potential enemies around.

    "That was a waste. Maybe scouts for a larger group or whole clan? They have decent gear but too much to carry. Let's stash off to the side what we don't want now. We can grab stuff on the way back out."

    Suga searches the dwarves. He takes a longbow and a mostly filled quiver for himself. Once the other are also finished he drags the bodies and remaining gear off the path to a hidden spot.

    When all are ready, Suga continues on the path, taking care to be quiet and paying attention to his sense of smell.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    "I'll be honest, that wasn't at all what I was expecting."


    Bending down to examine the bodies momentarily, "I wonder why they wouldn't speak to us at all."

    He walks down the path a bit, then leads the donkey forward before claiming the other longbow and arrows, "Might come in handy I suppose. We can pack the other gear in these sacks and have Kong carry it. That's why I bought him."

    The hobgoblin helps strip the gear from the dwarfs and hide the bodies.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-08-20 at 04:49 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Broad, shallow steps lead up a steep fissure to the south and turn east into the mountainside. Here, a broad entrance has been carved out of the stone. Marble steps cracked with age and veined with green moss lead up to a strong double-door of carved stone, 8 feet wide and almost 10 feet tall. Two arrow slits high on the north and south walls command this area.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RolandDeschain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Tarak

    Tarak catches Feagon's attention, then motions to the arrow slits before moving toward the south wall. Edging slowly along the wall with his back pressed against the stone, he tries to reach a vantage point from which he can see through the arrow slit opposite him on the north wall.

    Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+13)[14]
    Perception: (1d20+10)[21]

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

    Suga keeps his eyes to the arrow slits as Tarak moves forward.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Take 20 on Perception = 20.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •