The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

The second dwarf falls and Suga steps to the door cover it in case of reinforcements. With no immediate threat the orc checks the fallen dwarves for any valuables.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Level 4 levelup complete.
    Hunter's Scent active.
    Perception (1d20)[10]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Group-Stats for lacco36's [Riddle of Steel] Soldiers of Fortune
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

You can tie the donkey to the inside doorhandle; in any event he seems uninclined to go anywhere, with the door closed behind you and only the rope bridge in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hurricane Irma has passed over, and I have electricity again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin gives Kong a quick pat on the flank, and effortlessly makes his way across the rope bridge to Suga. Tapping his large companion on the shoulder, "Whatdya think? Leave that stuff here, or haul across that bridge? Kong should be okay for a spell, but I don't want to leave him cooped up here too long."

Motioning to the slightly opened door, "We've made plenty of noise already, but perhaps you'll let me scout ahead a bit to see what's beyond these doors?"

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Acrobatics check to cross the bridge (1d20+13)[28]

Stealth check to move just inside the double doors, which I believe are "slightly ajar" (1d20+13)[32]
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-09-12 at 06:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

"After you, but remember they know we are here and they didn't bother to close the door."
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Feagon just grunts at Suga's comment. "Is that confidence or arrogance on their part? Either way, we still need to proceed with caution." With that, he readies his bow as he follows the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Still have to level up and go through my equipment.
    Sorry, was (and still is) sick all weekend.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #216

Opening the door enough to slip through it, Tarak sees a natural cave with carefully smoothed walls and floor. Wet stone gleams, and you can discern at least four exits leading off into darkness. Red coals glow in the direction of the far right-hand passageway, and a barred wooden door blocks the closer right-hand passageway. Four cots occupy the cave.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

Pushing the door open far enough to allow Suga and Feagon to watch his progress, the hobgoblin crouches low and moves forward as silently as possible.

Show
    Move to W9
    Stealth: (1d20+13)[22]

8. - Top - End - #218

As Tarak slinks forward, no new enemies appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map updated.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

Quickly ascertaining that there are no readily apparent threats, the hobgoblin turns back to the slightly opened doors behind him and motions for Feagon and Suga to come forward. Remaining crouched low with his weapons drawn he quickly makes his way across the hallway and to the mouth of the opening to his right.

Show
    Move to Z12
    Stealthy: (1d20+12)[28]

10. - Top - End - #220

Spoiler: Tarak
    Show
    The south corridor ends in a barred wooden cage locked with an iron padlock. Inside the cage are two humans dressed in tattered rags, and an orc in what appears to be leather armor. They do not appear to be aware of you.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

He silently slips back to the hall and whispers to Feagon and Suga, "Prisoners!? Who puts dungeon cells at the front of a dungeon??? Two humans and an orc held in a rudimentary, padlocked cell just around the corner. What do you think we should do?"

Show
    Stealth: (1d20+13)[25]
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-09-20 at 09:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Suga slips through the door, shield raised. "Let's keep things quiet, but they'll know more of what is going on. Let's get them out of that cage."
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

"Alright sounds like a plan....I gotta admit I sure wish I knew more about what exactly is going on here. Are we freeing the 'good guys', or have we been killing the 'good guys' and freeing the 'bad guys?"

The hobgoblin leads the way back around the corner and promptly sets to picking the lock.

Show
    No stealth check, if the prisoners want to speak to us while Tarak attempts to pick the lock.
    Disable Device: (1d20+11)[19]

14. - Top - End - #224

The two humans look uncertain. The orc pushes to the front of the cage. "You are not dglinkarz*," he starts, then he sees Suga.
    Spoiler: Orcish
    Show
    "An orc--but not one of Zuhgan's followers. Are there others with you?"

Show
    The term translates into simply "dwarf/dwarven/dwarves," but the connotation is profoundly insulting.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Suga steps up to the cage while Tarak works on the lock. "No other orcs with us. The dwarves wanted me dead on sight. I am surprised you are not dead already. I am Suga. Who is Zuhgan? What is going on here?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming Suga hasn't heard of Zuhgan.
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

16. - Top - End - #226

Switching back to Common in response to Suga, the orc replies, "I am Grack. I am not dead yet because they have not yet tortured me for information on Zuhgan's followers. Ulf and the dglinkarz who follow him recently set up a base here to resume the Maker of Death's slaughter of our people, and Zuhgan has been leading the campaign to oust him. You...why are you here, if you know nothing?"
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

"We found an old map to this place and came to see what was here. Not all dwarves are dglinkarz but the ones here seem to be. Luckily the ones we killed were fanatically stupid." Suga looks to Tarak to see if the lock is almost done. "We should met this Zuhgan since we just made his job a little easier. Can you take us to him? Who are those with you in there?"
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

While working on the lock, the hobgoblin peeks up at the orcs, [Orcish]"You don't need to switch to common for my benefit."[Orcish]

Switching to common, and looking passed the orc to the two humans, "You two. How did you get here? What can you tell us of the dwarves that took you captive. Come now, speak...no harm will come to you."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-09-25 at 04:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground

Feagon, looking a bit confused by the switches in different languages, keeps his bow trained on the far end of the hall, letting Suga take the lead and trying to keep his face from being seen, hoping the orc doesn't think that he is in league with the dwarves.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry guys, just cleared the big project I've been working on. Should be good... for a couple of weeks, at least.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

20. - Top - End - #230

The woman steps forward. "We were traveling through the woods near here when the dwarves held weapons on us, demanded to know why we were there--it was just the woods!--then they brought us in here and locked us in. They haven't spoken to us since then. We don't know anything about this Ulf or Zuhgan or any of it."

Show
    "Zuhgan will want to meet you,"
    Grack says.
    Show
    "You might want to take these two to the entrance first. I doubt Ulf was going to keep them alive long."
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Lock
    Show
    Assuming Tarak has undone the lock by now, otherwise Suga's axe will open cage, either lock or the wall cage itself.

"Come on out and follow me. You can arm yourselves from the dwarves that tried killing us, then you can go back home. Compliments of Suga, Tarak, and Feagon."

Suga will lead them out the door they came through to the fallen dwarves by the bridge.
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

22. - Top - End - #232

Tarak opens the cage door, and the two humans stumble out. "Th-thanks," the woman says.

They'll follow you back to the entrance to the mountain; Grack stays behind, just outside the cage.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

Tarak will linger behind and keep a watch for anyone or anything come down the hallway. Once everyone is back beyond the doors he'll look at the two humans, "As you can see the guards won't bother you. Take this opportunity to flee. I can spare a bit of trail rations, but I'm afraid that's about it."

Looking back through the doorway to the orc and then back to his friend Suga, "Listen, I don't wanna get caught in a turf war between the orcs and the dwarves." Scratching his furry head for a moment, "In fact, I can't think of a more ancient and brutal grudge war."

Placing his hand on Suga's shoulder, "What say you friend? The dwarven guards were none too friendly for sure, and setting these prisoners....all of them....free is a fine idea, but if we stick our nose in here things could get nasty....really nasty."

"And what about you Feagon? You have any thoughts on this?"

Show
    AACK! We were posting at the same time Kish. I think my post is okay though, so I'll let it stand.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-09-28 at 06:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

"From what he said this is more than just a turf war. If the dwarves are working on a way to wipe out orcs then I can not just walk away. The risk is not forced on you. That is your choices to make. Hear out Zuhgan first? If you choose not to stay I would seek you two out again to travel with once done here. I'd only ask to spread the word of what they are trying to do. It may draw more dwarves but plenty of others should come to deal with that level of evil."

Out by the bridge Suga grabs a shield, waraxe, longbow and a quarrel of arrows. When he meets up with Grack again he give them to him so that he is not defenseless. He addresses the two humans. "There are two more dead dwarves outside behind some rocks you can get arms from."
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

"All we currently have is the word of one captive...how are we to know how truthful he's being. The dwarfs we encountered were belligerent, but barely more so than most dwarfs I've met to be honest. I trust your judgement Suga, and I'm not adverse to hearing this...Zuhgan fella out, but he better have some evidence that this rises above standard orcish-dwarven hostility."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Suga nods. "The humans in the cage say it is more than just rivalry. Let's see what he has to say." Suga brings out the gear to Grack. "Which way to Zuhgan? What do you know of the layout of this place?"
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

27. - Top - End - #237

"Good luck in here. Getting back to town as fast as possible sounds good to me," the male human says. The woman shakes her head, looking a little queasy as she looks at the bodies. They hurry away down the mountain.

Grack takes a shield and an axe; he frowns at the scale mail. "The mountain door and the foundry are still held by Ulf's followers. Zuhgan is in between, in the glitterhame. I can guide you, but unless you're a lot stealthier than you look, we'll have to fight." He starts down the passage to the east. The corridor splits into a south passage and a northeast passage, an orange glow coming from the south passage; Grack starts up the northeast passage without hesitation.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

"We can use stealth until it fails us. Glitterhame?"
    Show
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

29. - Top - End - #239

"That's what the Maker of Death called it. Why I don't know. Glittering stones in the walls? It's the central area here. This section has mostly guards, and the chapel, and beyond the glitterhame is the forge, where Ulf stays and where the Maker of Death is buried."
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Tarak

Tarak studies the two orcs silently for but a moment, then shrugs and follows, "Let me know when we are getting close to an area that will require....stealth."

He draws both of his kamas and moves as quietly as possible while keeping pace.