New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Usual Suspects

I suggest we rest to recover and head to the village. How should we handle this? Does anyone know how valuable these two stones are? If the emerald is exceptionally valuable, maybe it is worth having a price on our heads?

Tarik holds up the turquoise and emerald.

2. - Top - End - #182

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Adventure Summary
    Show
    Adventure summary:
    We killed the ogres then went to the monastery.

Along the way we encountered a group looking for a friend imprisoned in the place. We joined forces, fought our way in and found some construct living there with a fey creature in a cage (the friend).

We killed the construct and learned from the fey that it's dreams 'may' have caused the villagers to imagine this stone was of vital importance to their village so they would come and free him. Tarik didn't care for this and we set an ambush for them.

After killing the group (minus their giant) we set an ambush for him too. He ponied your guy with his two attacks per turn with crazy damage. Ponied = critical hit and second attack to take you to -9...

We still have to either bring this gem to the villagers which they think is magic or go try to convince them of the truth.

I lean toward either ransoming the stone back or giving it back to steal later.

We also have items to identify and loot to split.

Do we know if these items are even ours? What is our benefactors plan?

3. - Top - End - #183

SwashbucklerGuy

The village is still waiting for us, but we could try to just go back to our benefactor. I kinda think he wants to see if we can move through society without drawing too much attention ourselves. Henchmen who have wanted posters on every tree don't exactly have free reign to do a masters bidding and can cause more hassle than they are worth. I get the feeling we don't want him to feel we are worthless.
    Last edited by muffywo45; 2017-05-20 at 11:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by muffywo45 View Post
    The village is still waiting for us, but we could try to just go back to our benefactor. I kinda think he wants to see if we can move through society without drawing too much attention ourselves. Henchmen who have wanted posters on every tree don't exactly have free reign to do a masters bidding and can cause more hassle than they are worth. I get the feeling we don't want him to feel we are worthless.
    That is true. Let's just wait to sell anything until we know what he wants. Selling his loot may seem like stealing in his eyes

5. - Top - End - #185

SwashbucklerGuy

Can anyone tell how valuable this emerald or turquoise is? We know neither is magical.

Spoiler: DM Appraise
    Show
    (1d20+3)[13]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: For Stevo
    Show
    You don't have a decent judge of the price

Spoiler: For Blue
    Show
    I ran an appraise for the two larger gems in the OOC for you and I'd say you would value them at a few hundred gold each

You are nearing the town of Westfork. It is reaching the end of the day.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

7. - Top - End - #187

SwashbucklerGuy

If anyone has an idea on the value of these let me know. I lean toward giving them the emerald and getting away from this backwater town.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Exclamation Re: The Usual Suspects

If you don't mind my somewhat overzealous colleague, if could perhaps see those stones again?

Yes, I'd say these are each worth 350 gp each.

Spoiler: DM
    Show

bluff to overvalue by 100 gp total (1d20+8)[13]

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

d20 Re: The Usual Suspects

<to our theif> Could you see your way into giving them the worthless "lucky" stone since to our knowledge it has no value? That way we can keep the other 2 to sell later and add to our spoils to be divided.

Show

bluff to convince him to give up his stone (1d20+8)[13]

10. - Top - End - #190

BlueKnightGuy

If we tell the town the truth, I predict they will think we are lying. We should give them the emerald, tell them the tale of a fowl trickster guarded by a giant, and get our names cleared.

11. - Top - End - #191

SwashbucklerGuy

I think we are forgetting several things. First, the villagers have seen this stone, either in their dreams or in real life, and know what it looks like. We on the other hand have no clue what the Anomaly Stone actually looks like. Second, the lucky stone was given to us by a member of the town watch. I would imagine he and other members of the watch have seen this stone... the second he sees it, he will recognize it as being his lucky stone and not the Anomaly Stone. Third, the lucky stone already proved to be magic, so I would say it has some sort of value. Finally, and most importantly... the lucky stone was given to me as a gift, so it's fate is ultimately mine to decide.

12. - Top - End - #192

SwashbucklerGuy

I do like the idea of keeping all the gems for ourselves. How can we make that work?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If I may, in my humble opinion, the quality and provenance of the turquoise is better suited to these parts - this Red March. I would recommend we save the emerald for future use. I myself would prefer the boisterous atmosphere of a town. Perhaps there we can go-to-ground against whatever is binding us together.

Show

diplomacy (1d20+4)[23]

14. - Top - End - #194

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by papikr View Post
    If we tell the town the truth, I predict they will think we are lying. We should give them the emerald, tell them the tale of a fowl trickster guarded by a giant, and get our names cleared.
    This is probably the best way to proceed. If the emerald is worth 350 gp, we probably will get 175gp for it from a fence, maybe 200gp if I call in a favor. Split 5 ways, we are talking about 35-40gp each...
    We can probably coax that much in reward money from the town... maybe more if you use some of your magic to sell that this stone is really magic... make a big production when we bring it back or something.

15. - Top - End - #195

SwashbucklerGuy

The little guy in the cage told us the town's people have been dreaming about this stone.
    Heck, they are so worried about getting it back they are willing to give amnesty to 5 criminals to get it back.
    This is the perfect con... we convince them we are the greatest heroes in the towns history. If we play this right, we might end up taking over the place.

The hardest thing about running a con is to get the mark to believe something is worth more than it is... these townspeople are already there. Heck, they conned us if you think about it.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Exclamation Re: The Usual Suspects

<growing perturbed>Have they seen it? I don't recall a description, and if in fact there was no stone, perhaps they won't recognize it, but simply have a sense that it's gone missing and it was important. I'd rather rest up before we go in and pass them a fugazi rather than throw away loot we rightfully earned.

Wasn't there a 3rd gem found on the giant? I am certain I heard that mumbled in our counting. Let me put some spit 'n shine on it and let's use it.

17. - Top - End - #197

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyverex View Post
    If I may, in my humble opinion, the quality and provenance of the turquoise is better suited to these parts - this Red March. I would recommend we save the emerald for future use. I myself would prefer the boisterous atmosphere of a town. Perhaps there we can go-to-ground against whatever is binding us together.

Show

diplomacy [roll0]
    I seriously doubt we can hide from our benefactor. He talks to us in our minds, and can control/transport our bodies at will. He is our master now, get in line.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lightbulb Re: The Usual Suspects

I have one last idea...bear with me just a while

Show

diplomacy (1d20+4)[21]

19. - Top - End - #199

SwashbucklerGuy

<growing perturbed>Have they seen it? I don't recall a description, and if in fact there was no stone, perhaps they won't recognize it, but simply have a sense that it's gone missing and it was important. I'd rather rest up before we go in and pass them a fugazi rather than throw away loot we rightfully earned.

Wasn't there a 3rd gem found on the giant? I am certain I heard that mumbled in our counting. Let me put some spit 'n shine on it and let's use it.
    Is this emerald really worth that much more than the turquoise? I have no clue, so I am taking you at your word. If you take the turquoise, put 'spit and shine' on it and try to pass it off as the Anomaly Stone how much do we stand to make as a group? I have no problem risking my neck for money, but I want to make sure it is more money than the cost of a longsword.

I say we put it to a vote. Give them the emerald, give them a fake or tell them there is no stone.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The little guy in the cage told us the town's people have been dreaming about this stone.
    Heck, they are so worried about getting it back they are willing to give amnesty to 5 criminals to get it back.
    This is the perfect con... we convince them we are the greatest heroes in the towns history. If we play this right, we might end up taking over the place.

The hardest thing about running a con is to get the mark to believe something is worth more than it is... these townspeople are already there. Heck, they conned us if you think about it.
    <with renewed energy> I believe you're correct, and you are obviously just the guy to run the con. I'll try to get you something to work with....<turns away deep in concentration>....

21. - Top - End - #201

SwashbucklerGuy

I vote we give them the cheapest gem. We have no clue exactly what it looks like because they didn't give us a great description. If they suspect something, we plead ignorance and give them the other gem. Low risk.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by papikr View Post
    I seriously doubt we can hide from our benefactor. He talks to us in our minds, and can control/transport our bodies at will. He is our master now, get in line.
    You have a point...and I appreciate your stating it plainly. I remain eager to be free.

23. - Top - End - #203

BlueKnightGuy

With what our benefactor is able to do, I think 350 gp split between the 5 of us, is not worth what getting our names cleared would be. That let's us serve our benefactor, and earn more than just a stupid piece of stone. I vote we give the gem to the people on the predication that our debt is paid

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is this emerald really worth that much more than the turquoise? I have no clue, so I am taking you at your word. If you take the turquoise, put 'spit and shine' on it and try to pass it off as the Anomaly Stone how much do we stand to make as a group? I have no problem risking my neck for money, but I want to make sure it is more money than the cost of a longsword.

I say we put it to a vote. Give them the emerald, give them a fake or tell them there is no stone.

We'd be losing money to give up either. I for one don't believe I risked neck and limb in this grummish forsaken backwater for nothing...ogres, wolves, metalmen! what kind of predicament are we in?

I have made something for your inspection.
    to Steve's character: Can you pass it off?
    bluff [roll]1d20+8[/roll]

25. - Top - End - #205

BlueKnightGuy

We'd be losing money to give up either. I for one don't believe I risked neck and limb in this grummish forsaken backwater for nothing...ogres, wolves, metalmen! what kind of predicament are we in?

I have made something for your inspection. Can you pass it off?
    lose money? We have at least 2400 gp worth of loot from this trip.

26. - Top - End - #206

SwashbucklerGuy

Let's vote. I vote we give them a cheap green gemstone of some sort and play dumb if it doesn't work.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I must rest. I will settle for a meal and mead. I did what I could attempting a fugazi, but if it's not enough if your opinions or comparisons, I may not be able to hold my own should another fight ensure.

28. - Top - End - #208

BlueKnightGuy

Let's vote. I vote we give them a cheap green gemstone of some sort and play dumb if it doesn't work.
    Fine. I've just been beaten to near death and want to get away from these cursed woods as quickly as possible. I have enough bad memories of this place, I don't need more

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

well, I spent that time making a forgery, I'd vote to pass it off the fake if your skills are up to it, Theif. Tell them this is how the stone was when we found it; perhaps it lost it's previous "power".

But if we chose subterfuge, we must leave the real emerald buried outside of town lest we are searched by the sheriff.

30. - Top - End - #210

SwashbucklerGuy

Show
    Appraise (1d20+3)[4] Sense Motive (1d20+5)[23] Tell me if I think this fake stone will work.