New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: DDI Question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default DDI Question

Greetings,

I am considering creating an account and purchasing a subscription for DDI. If I do will I be able to access and download all of the Dragon and Dungeon Magazine issues that were made during the 4e era?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: DDI Question

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMatter View Post
    Greetings,

I am considering creating an account and purchasing a subscription for DDI. If I do will I be able to access and download all of the Dragon and Dungeon Magazine issues that were made during the 4e era?
    I'm sorry to have to say this, but it is no longer possible to purchase a DDI subscription. The service remains available to existing subscribers, but is otherwise no longer available. As a new customer, you cannot now gain access to that material via any means other than dubiously legal filesharing.

Basically, Wizards of the Coast's D&D division really doesn't want you to play 4e. Doing so would do some harm to their narrative that 4e was a terrible mistake, and the D&D division is already viewed as a net drain on Hasbro's resources; to potentially allow their scapegoat edition to appear as if it were gaining in market share despite everything would be... impolitic.
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2017-05-05 at 01:10 AM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You have drivethrurpg. It's official and legal. You can buy all the D&D 4e magazine.
    Last edited by Alamantra; 2017-05-05 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Bad autocorrect

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The above posts are wrong. You can actually subscribe to DDI now if you were never a subscriber(though I do not have confirmation of this from someone who succeeded - so if you do it, please say so)

The link below goes into how to do that and also deal with the issues of Silverlight - which is not a problem for the magazines.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...28#post7056128

And yes, if you can do that, you can download all the Dragon/Dungeon magazines.
    Last edited by MwaO; 2017-05-05 at 07:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Alamantra View Post
    You have drivethrurpg. It's official and legal. You can buy all the D&D 4e magazine.
    A lot easier to purchase a 1 month subscription and then download them all. $9.95 for a month if that's all that you plan on doing, though if you plan to keep using DDI, the year's a much better deal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Excuse me? You CAN buy the dragon and dungeon magazine at drivethrurpg.com.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Alamantra View Post
    Excuse me? You CAN buy the dragon and dungeon magazine at drivethrurpg.com.
    There are only two reasons you'd ever do that:
    You plan, for the rest of your life, to only buy a single 4e magazine.
    You have money to burn because literally, buying two magazines is more expensive than getting all of them.

drivethrurpg isn't a real option given you can get a subscription for a month.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a long while--I don't remember the exact time frame, a year or two?--DDI enrollment was not opened to new subscribers and so Drivethrurpg was the only (rather expensive, as MwaO notes) option for legal access to the magazines. In the last few weeks, though, someone discovered that new enrollment has mysteriously become possible, though, again as MwaO notes, it would be great to have some confirmation of this.

Check out the link provided by MwaO. Also note that the Character Builder and Monsters Adventure Tools run on a limited (and mostly out of date) number of browsers.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    For a long while--I don't remember the exact time frame, a year or two?--DDI enrollment was not opened to new subscribers and so Drivethrurpg was the only (rather expensive, as MwaO notes) option for legal access to the magazines. In the last few weeks, though, someone discovered that new enrollment has mysteriously become possible, though, again as MwaO notes, it would be great to have some confirmation of this.

Check out the link provided by MwaO. Also note that the Character Builder and Monsters Adventure Tools run on a limited (and mostly out of date) number of browsers.
    Safari works fine once you realize to enable Silverlight on wotc's website in preferences. That would be ironic if the one browser that ultimately kept working on it was an Apple product.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

I accidentally let my subscription lapse there a few months ago. I was able to resubscribe without too much trouble. I got in contact with them, and was able to reactivate it. I did have an active account before which was being re-activated, which may not be exactly the same as creating a new account, but it at least gives some support to new accounts being potentially possible. I think the no-new-accounts thing was a temporary measure, that they never bothered telling us when it was no longer in effect. Yet another way WotC is showing us that they can't decide whether they want 4e to completely die, or if they still want to keep taking our money for it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Greetings,

Thank you all for the responses.

I used the link provided by MwaO and created a whole account (including creating a DDI account) and I can confirm that you can use all of the Insider tools.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Greetings,

I used the link provided by MwaO and created a whole account (including creating a DDI account) and I can confirm that you can use all of the Insider tools.
    Thanks kindly for the feedback!
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #13

Greetings,

Awesome! Good to know!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    Also note that the Character Builder and Monsters Adventure Tools run on a limited (and mostly out of date) number of browsers.
    I can do it in Chrome by using a plugin that creates an IE-based tab. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...enadd?hl=en-US

Powers &8^]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

And here's a fresh reminder that there are offline solutions to all three of the DDi tools that don't require fiddling around with your browser.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    And here's a fresh reminder that there are offline solutions to all three of the DDi tools that don't require fiddling around with your browser.
    Unfortunately, some of them can be terrible to work with (I haven't had a functional offline CB in over a year- I think some weird interaction with Windows 10). And not all compatible with Mac.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I enjoy having both offline and online tools. The offline reference is much faster and has a more robust and useful search tool ... but it's not on the three different computers I use at work, it's not on my friend's laptop, et cetera. It's well worth the money for me.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like I get my money's worth every year from the Compendium alone.

I have the offline versions of the other tools, included the CBLoaded Character Builder.
    PAD - 357,549,260