New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default New Magic Weapon Idea

I was thinking about creating new magical items for a campaign, there would be a set of legendary swords/other weapons, all with gemstone names EX. Ruby Valor (Longsword), Emerald Eloquence (Wand), Accurate Amethyst (Bow). I think that these items should be fairly important to the story, such as defeating an ancient evil, as they would be more personal to the characters than a set of Stones of Mcguffin Getting. But I'm not sure how powerful I want them to be. They should be powerful enough to live up to their legendary status, but not too game shattering so if I want to pace their acquisition, the other players aren't in the dust. I want each item to have their own unique powers. How should I go about this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: New Magic Weapon Idea

Level them with players. Have them be sentient (or at least somewhat aware) and withhold their true powers until the players prove themselves worthy.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Level them with players. Have them be sentient (or at least somewhat aware) and withhold their true powers until the players prove themselves worthy.
    That's a good idea, but what should I do at lower levels? They should still be some of the better items they have if they have them, and I would like them to have some more utility outside of combat and plot. Maybe give small boosts or immunities?
    Last edited by HopefulDMing; 2017-05-06 at 09:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulDMing View Post
    That's a good idea, but what should I do at lower levels? They should still be some of the better items they have if they have them, and I would like them to have some more utility outside of combat and plot.
    Okay, let's take Ruby Valour, for example.

Levels 1-4
    Ruby Valour is a magical longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder.

Levels 5-10
    Ruby Valour is a magical, +1 longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder. In addition, it has 5 charges, regaining 1d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to infuse the blade with magical red lightning. Spending one charge as a bonus action allows it to deal an extra 2d6 fire and lightning damage on each strike for one minute. Each extra charge spent increases the damage by 1d6, to a max of 4d6. In addition, while active in this manner, the wielder may shoot the lightning as a ranged spell attack (Charisma is the stat) that has a 30' range and deals damage equal to the bonus damage dealt.

Levels 11-16
    Ruby Valour is a magical, +2 longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder. In addition, it has 10 charges, regaining 2d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to infuse the blade with magical red lightning. Spending one charge as a bonus action allows it to deal an extra 2d6 fire and lightning damage on each strike for one minute. Each extra charge spent increases the damage by 1d6, to a max of 5d6. In addition, while active in this manner, the wielder may shoot the lightning as a ranged spell attack (Charisma is the stat) that has a 30' range and deals damage equal to the bonus damage dealt. Finally, it may cast Power Word Heal on its wielder as a reaction to the wielder taking enough damage to reduce them to 0 HP, but doing so costs 6 charges.

Levels 17-20
    Ruby Valour is a magical, +3 longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder. In addition, it has 20 charges, regaining 4d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to infuse the blade with magical red lightning. Spending one charge as a bonus action allows it to deal an extra 2d6 fire and lightning damage on each strike for one minute. Each extra charge spent increases the damage by 1d6, to a max of 6d6. In addition, while active in this manner, the wielder may shoot the lightning as a ranged spell attack (Charisma is the stat) that has a 30' range and deals damage equal to the bonus damage dealt. Next, it may cast Power Word Heal on its wielder as a reaction to the wielder taking enough damage to reduce them to 0 HP, but doing so costs 6 charges. Finally, it may, at the cost of the wielders own life force, emulate Foresight. As a bonus action costing 4 charges, the wielder may gain the benefits of the Foresight spell for 10 minutes, but at the end of the duration, they gain a single level of exhaustion.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

Okay, let's take Ruby Valour, for example.

Levels 1-4
    Ruby Valour is a magical longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder.

Levels 5-10
    Ruby Valour is a magical, +1 longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder. In addition, it has 5 charges, regaining 1d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to infuse the blade with magical red lightning. Spending one charge as a bonus action allows it to deal an extra 2d6 fire and lightning damage on each strike for one minute. Each extra charge spent increases the damage by 1d6, to a max of 4d6. In addition, while active in this manner, the wielder may shoot the lightning as a ranged spell attack (Charisma is the stat) that has a 30' range and deals damage equal to the bonus damage dealt.

Levels 11-16
    Ruby Valour is a magical, +2 longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder. In addition, it has 10 charges, regaining 2d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to infuse the blade with magical red lightning. Spending one charge as a bonus action allows it to deal an extra 2d6 fire and lightning damage on each strike for one minute. Each extra charge spent increases the damage by 1d6, to a max of 5d6. In addition, while active in this manner, the wielder may shoot the lightning as a ranged spell attack (Charisma is the stat) that has a 30' range and deals damage equal to the bonus damage dealt. Finally, it may cast Power Word Heal on its wielder as a reaction to the wielder taking enough damage to reduce them to 0 HP, but doing so costs 6 charges.

Levels 17-20
    Ruby Valour is a magical, +3 longsword that can, once per short rest, cast Heroism on its wielder. In addition, it has 20 charges, regaining 4d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to infuse the blade with magical red lightning. Spending one charge as a bonus action allows it to deal an extra 2d6 fire and lightning damage on each strike for one minute. Each extra charge spent increases the damage by 1d6, to a max of 6d6. In addition, while active in this manner, the wielder may shoot the lightning as a ranged spell attack (Charisma is the stat) that has a 30' range and deals damage equal to the bonus damage dealt. Next, it may cast Power Word Heal on its wielder as a reaction to the wielder taking enough damage to reduce them to 0 HP, but doing so costs 6 charges. Finally, it may, at the cost of the wielders own life force, emulate Foresight. As a bonus action costing 4 charges, the wielder may gain the benefits of the Foresight spell for 10 minutes, but at the end of the duration, they gain a single level of exhaustion.
    Wow. This is a lot of information. But I understand how the weapons can be improved in tiers.

6. - Top - End - #6

RangerGuy

JNAProductions

Here is how I see Emerald Eloquence changing:

Levels 1-4
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical wand that can be used as a dagger

Levels 5-10
    Emerald Eloquence is a +1 magical wand that can be used as a dagger. In addition, it has 5 charges, regaining 1d4 per dawn, which one expended, can infuse itself with the effects of a spell, that will be dispelled once used as a dagger or after 10 minutes

Levels 11-16
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical, +2 magical wand that can be used as a dagger. In addition, it has 10 charges, regaining 2d4 each dawn. You may spend 1 charge to infuse the wand with the effects of a spell, and add additional charges to improve the damage of the spell, using up to 3, adding 1d6 every charge. Spending one charge as a bonus action. Finally, if used for a ritual, it will decrease the cost of a ritual by ¼.

Levels 17-20
    Emerald ELoquence is a magical, +3 longsword that can be used as a dagger. In addition, it has 20 charges, regaining 4d4 each dawn. You may spend 1 charge to infuse the wand with the power of a spell, using up to 7 changes to improve the spells damage, adding 1d6 each. Finally, if used as part of a ritual/spell, it will decrease the cost of that ritual/spell by 1/2

It's main power is becoming infused with the spell being casted and at higher levels, drastically decreasing ritual/spell costs.

7. - Top - End - #7

First off, give it SOMETHING for tier one.

Second off, that's incomplete. What do you mean by infusing a spell? What about no-damaging spells? What about spells that do repeated damage? It needs a lot of work.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

RangerGuy

First off, give it SOMETHING for tier one.

Second off, that's incomplete. What do you mean by infusing a spell? What about no-damaging spells? What about spells that do repeated damage? It needs a lot of work.
    I understand. By infusing a spell, I meant that when used as a dagger, it would also give the damage of that spell, and it can only be applied for damaging spells. So a player can't infuse Wish. As for repeated damage spells, it would give of the damage at once.

Edit: For a buff for first tier, the wand allows the user to cast Mage Armor as a cantrip by touching a friendly creature with the wand.
    Last edited by HopefulDMing; 2017-05-06 at 09:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Mage Armor at-will is probably a bit much. That's +1 AC to anyone in light armor, and +3 to anyone lacking armor.

And I'm not a fan of that ability, the spell infusing bit. Just seems... Dull, for a wand.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

RangerGuy

Mage Armor at-will is probably a bit much. That's +1 AC to anyone in light armor, and +3 to anyone lacking armor.

And I'm not a fan of that ability, the spell infusing bit. Just seems... Dull, for a wand.
    Ok, how about making For Cloud a cantrip, and would you have Anny improvements/replacements for the spell infusion idea, as it was a major part of it's design, and do you have any problems with the ritual cost deduction?

11. - Top - End - #11

Eh. Money's not a big deal in 5E, so I don't mind that.

I would NOT give any first level spell as a cantrip. They're fist level for a reason.

Instead of spell infusion, what about granting metamagic?

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

Eh. Money's not a big deal in 5E, so I don't mind that.

I would NOT give any first level spell as a cantrip. They're fist level for a reason.

Instead of spell infusion, what about granting metamagic?
    Ok, so I should just give them another cantrip which I could change depending on their spell pool, and what is metamagic?

13. - Top - End - #13

I'd give a spell once per rest, instead of something at-will.

Metamagic is a Sorcerer thing.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

RangerGuy

I'd give a spell once per rest, instead of something at-will.

Metamagic is a Sorcerer thing.
    Good to know

15. - Top - End - #15

RangerGuy

Levels 1-4
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical wand that can be used as a dagger, and unlocks the spell fog cloud once per rest.
    Levels 5-10
    Emerald Eloquence is a +1 magical wand that grants fog cloud once per rest. In addition, it has 4 charges, regaining 1d4 per dawn, which once expended, can be used as metamagic points
    Levels 11-16
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical, +2 magical wand that grants fog cloud once per rest. In addition, it has 8 charges, regaining 2d4 each dawn. You may spend 1 charge to use as a metamagic point
    Levels 17-20
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical, +3 wand that grants fog cloud once per rest. In addition, it has 16 charges, regaining 4d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to use as metamagic points. Finally, if used as part of a ritual, it will decrease the cost of a ritual by 1/2

I know that this is very short, but there are many metamagic options, and should the charge numbers be changed?

16. - Top - End - #16

Numbers are fine. Unlimited metamagic access is not. Specify which ones you get-and only one per tier. This should not make you a better sorcerer than the actual class.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

RangerGuy

Numbers are fine. Unlimited metamagic access is not. Specify which ones you get-and only one per tier. This should not make you a better sorcerer than the actual class.
    Here is an updated table:

Levels 1-4
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical wand that can be used as a dagger, and unlocks the spell fog cloud once per rest.
    Levels 5-10
    Emerald Eloquence is a +1 magical wand that grants fog cloud once per rest. In addition, it has 5 charges, regaining 1d4 per dawn, which once expended, can be used as metamagic points to cast empowered spell
    Levels 11-16
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical, +2 magical wand that grants fog cloud once per rest. In addition, it has 10 charges, regaining 2d4 each dawn. You may spend 1 charge to use as a metamagic point to cast empowered spell or careful spell
    Levels 17-20
    Emerald Eloquence is a magical, +3 wand that grants fog cloud once per rest. In addition, it has 20 charges, regaining 4d4 each dawn. You may spend charges to use as metamagic points for empowered spell, careful spell, or twinned spell. Finally, if used as part of a ritual, it will decrease the cost of a ritual by 1/2

18. - Top - End - #18

Looks good. I might drop the number of charges a little-Ruby just gets damage, this lets you do a lot more than that.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

RangerGuy

smile Re: New Magic Weapon Idea

Looks good. I might drop the number of charges a little-Ruby just gets damage, this lets you do a lot more than that.
    Thanks for all your help

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

Does anyone else have some advice for the other items like Accurate Amethyst? Or names for the other weapons?

21. - Top - End - #21

MonkGuy

I'm a little late to this party, but I wanted to chime in while I had the time and was thinking about it.

The way I’ve worked magic items that get more powerful with characters in a game is pretty formulaic, because that's the kind of person that I am and my players accept that.

First, once a character has bonded with a weapon and isn’t in Conflict, give it a bonus to attack and damage equal to half of the character’s proficiency modifier, rounding down. That grants +1 from level 1 to 8, +2 from level 9 to 16, and +3 at 17th level and higher. It sticks to basic character progression, so it shouldn’t unbalance anything by granting too heavy a bonus too early. (Though, admittedly, a +2 at level 9 through 11 may seem a little high in my mind. Your game means you can do whatever you want with it.)

Second, give it a fairly powerful ability. I’ve used commune or commune with nature in the past, but this can be anything that gives the item a personal amount of flavor and fits with its theme. I've made this ability able to be used at no cost to the user, but made it usable something like once a week. That gives the player something to use beyond the basic magic weapon format and maybe gives the DM a means by which to provide plot. If you want to go with something less powerful, you could make it usable more often. This is where your personal tastes come into play. If you don't want to use it for plot dissemination (which worked for my campaign, but maybe not for yours), then any ability becomes a possibility, and there are any number of abilities that may be far more fitting for the flavor of the weapon you're creating.

Finally, if you’re going to give the item charges, give it a maximum number of charges equal to the character’s level. Then, if it grants spells that can be cast with charges, make each spell cost a number of charges equal to twice the level of the spell. That means that, even if you make a weapon capable of casting 9th level spells, the character can’t build enough charges to actually cast that 9th level spell until they've reached 18th level, which is about when a spellcaster gets access to that level of spells anyway. It means that players might be tantalized by the power in their grasp and stay true to the weapon even when they're in a lull between big spells, but also they might have a few more charges to use the smaller spells.

This means that you, by default, have some rough tiers built into the weapon, but it's improving with them every step of the way if they have charges that grow with their level. It's worked fairly well in my campaign and I thought it might do you some good. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by AngryJesusMan; 2017-05-08 at 09:02 AM. Reason: proofreading

22. - Top - End - #22

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AngryJesusMan View Post
    I'm a little late to this party, but I wanted to chime in while I had the time and was thinking about it.

The way I’ve worked magic items that get more powerful with characters in a game is pretty formulaic, because that's the kind of person that I am and my players accept that.

First, once a character has bonded with a weapon and isn’t in Conflict, give it a bonus to attack and damage equal to the character’s proficiency modifier, rounding down. That grants +1 from level 1 to 8, +2 from level 9 to 16, and +3 at 17th level and higher. It sticks to basic character progression, so it shouldn’t unbalance anything by granting too heavy a bonus too early. (Though, admittedly, a +2 at level 9 through 11 may seem a little high in my mind. Your game means you can do whatever you want with it.)

Second, give it a fairly powerful ability. I’ve used commune or commune with nature in the past, but this can be anything that gives the item a personal amount of flavor and fits with its theme. I've made this ability able to be used at no cost to the user, but made it usable something like once a week. That gives the player something to use beyond the basic magic weapon format and maybe gives the DM a means by which to provide plot. If you want to go with something less powerful, you could make it usable more often. This is where your personal tastes come into play. If you don't want to use it for plot dissemination (which worked for my campaign, but maybe not for yours), then any ability becomes a possibility, and there are any number of abilities that may be far more fitting for the flavor of the weapon you're creating.

Finally, if you’re going to give the item charges, give it a maximum number of charges equal to the character’s level. Then, if it grants spells that can be cast with charges, make each spell cost a number of charges equal to twice the level of the spell. That means that, even if you make a weapon capable of casting 9th level spells, the character can’t build enough charges to actually cast that 9th level spell until they've reached 18th level, which is about when a spellcaster gets access to that level of spells anyway. It means that players might be tantalized by the power in their grasp and stay true to the weapon even when they're in a lull between big spells, but also they might have a few more charges to use the smaller spells.

This means that you, by default, have some rough tiers built into the weapon, but it's improving with them every step of the way if they have charges that grow with their level. It's worked fairly well in my campaign and I thought it might do you some good. Hope it helps!
    Wow. Thank you for your help. And I'm always open to input.

23. - Top - End - #23

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AngryJesusMan View Post

First, once a character has bonded with a weapon and isn’t in Conflict, give it a bonus to attack and damage equal to the character’s proficiency modifier, rounding down. That grants +1 from level 1 to 8, +2 from level 9 to 16, and +3 at 17th level and higher.
    That was supposed to read, "...give it a bonus to attack and damage equal to half of the character’s proficiency modifier, rounding down." It became evident what I meant as opposed to what I said when I gave the examples, but I figured it needed to be addressed before someone read it and got confused. Sorry about that. I'll edit my original post in just a minute.

24. - Top - End - #24

MonkGuy

Here's the example from my game. I've generalized sections to make it less specific to the character in my campaign.

Spoiler: Sun Strike
    Show

Sun Strike is a sentient longsword carried by a character with the Inheritor Background. It has been handed down from his angelic forebear to warriors of his bloodline. When it is first passed to a new warrior, it is a simple +1 longsword that requires attunement until certain conditions are met.
    • Neutral Good alignment.
    • Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 18, normal hearing and vision out to 30 feet
    • Sun Strike is a remarkably proud weapon that will only present itself to those that perform three harrowing feats of bravery to prove their worth to it. Once it presents itself, it can be attuned. It can speak Common and Celestial, but only speaks in whispers, so loud environments may find its wielder unable to hear its advice or warnings.
    • Destiny Seeker: It is convinced that it and its wielders have key roles to play in future events. It takes a long view on this, believing that some of its wielders are only worthy to hold it until they can place the sword in the hands of someone that can actually fulfill more significant parts of their shared destiny. If it thinks that its wielder is acting on evil impulses or is being led astray by the evil intent of others, it and its wielder will enter Conflict (DMG p. 216). Also, it will tolerate some whimsy on the wielder’s behalf, but if it feels that its wielder has tarried from their task for too long (too many tasks of Neutral intent), it will warn the wielder to return to the destined path. If they do not, they will enter Conflict.

Attuned Abilities
    • Sun Strike grants a bonus to attack equal to one-half of its wielder’s Proficiency bonus, rounded down (+1 until 9th, +2 from 9th until 16th, +3 at 17th and higher).
    • A wielder may attempt to gain knowledge directly from Sun Strike. This mimics the spells Commune or Contact Other Plane. It has extensive knowledge concerning the world of Todas, even stretching back before the world’s current civilizations. This information may cover anything related to Nature, History, Arcana, and Religion. However, the sword cannot actually contact other beings or planes, so its information is solely limited to knowledge related to this world. Once the wielder has used this ability, the sword becomes lethargic and its communication is indistinct until it has been exposed to three sunrises. Once the sword recovers from this lethargy, the user may use this ability again.
    • If Sun Strike is exposed to a sunrise, it gains 2d10 charges. It can have a maximum of number of charges equal to your character’s level. Any extra charges are lost. The sword can be used to cast the following spells, using the listed number of charges. Any spellcasting components other than verbal and somatic must still be used, and the casting time remains the same.
      Light (no charges)
      Guiding Bolt (2 charges)
      Daylight (6 charges)
      Hallow (10 charges, cannot bestow Darkness, does not affect Celestials)
      Sunbeam (12 charges)
      Holy Aura (16 charges)
      Sunburst (16 charges)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulDMing View Post
    Does anyone else have some advice for the other items like Accurate Amethyst? Or names for the other weapons?
    Diamond Destructor

Tier 1
    Diamond Destructor is a Magical Greataxe that deals a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

Tier 2
    Diamond Destructor is a +1 Magical Greataxe that deals a critical hit on a roll of 19-20. Additionally, it has 4 charges, and regains 1d4 each day at dawn. Whenever its' wielder deals a critical hit with Diamond Destructor, they may expend a charge to add an additional 1d12 to the critical damage roll. You may not use this ability more than once per critical hit scored.

Tier 3
    Diamond Destructor is a +2 Magical Greataxe that deals a critical hit on a roll of 19-20. Additionally, it has 8 charges, and regains 1d8 each day at dawn. Whenever its' wielder deals a critical hit with Diamond Destructor, they may expend a charge to add an additional 1d12+12 damage to the critical damage roll. You may not use this ability more than once per critical hit scored.

Tier 4
    Diamond Destructor is a +3 Magical Greataxe that deals a critical hit on a roll of 18-20. Additionally, it has 16 charges, and regains 1d12+4 each day at dawn. Whenever its' wielder deals a critical hit with Diamond Destructor, they may expend a charge to add an additional 1d12+24 damage to the critical damage roll. You may not use this ability more than once per critical hit scored.

Something to make your Barbarians and Great Weapon Fighters **** in their pants.

(Note: The bonus damage is added to the critical roll, similarly to Brutal Critical and Savage Attacks.)
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

26. - Top - End - #26

RangerGuy

I've come up with a table for the dagger Jinxed Jasper:

Levels 1-4
    Jinxed Jasper is a dagger that once per long rest, can give all opponents disadvantage for a combat encounter

Levels 5-10
    Jinxed Jasper is a dagger that once per long rest, can give all opponents disadvantage for a combat encounter. It also has 6 charges, regaining 1d4 each dawn that can be used to give a +2 bonus to Sleight of Hand, Deception and Persuasion checks

Levels 11-16
    Jinxed Jasper is a dagger that once per long rest, can give all opponents disadvantage for a combat encounter. It also has 7 charges, regaining 1d6 each dawn that can be used to give a +2 bonus to Sleight of Hand, Deception, Investigation and Persuasion checks. As well as giving a permanent +1 to Charisma and Dexterity saving throws as long as it is on the user’s person. Charges can also be used to add 1d6 necrotic damage to one attack, with a maximum of 3d6 increased damage

Levels 17-20
    Jinxed Jasper is a dagger that once per long rest, can give all opponents disadvantage for a combat encounter. It also has 9 charges, regaining 1d8 each dawn that can be used to give a +3 bonus to Sleight of Hand, History, Deception, Investigation and Persuasion checks. As well as giving a permanent +2 to Charisma and Dexterity saving throws as long as it is on the user’s person. Charges can also be used to add 1d6 necrotic damage to one attack, with a maximum of 5d6 increased damage

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

My idea is the Encrested Tooth. It is a greatsword.
    On one half of the sword, it is covered in rubies, whereas on the other, it is covered in diamonds.
    The Tooth deals 1d4 + a number of d4 equal to your wisdom modifier.
    Encrested Tooth Special:
    Level 1-2: Fear Inspiring
    The massive sword is almost sure to terrify your enemies. The user gains proficiency in intimidation, and every time an enemy with a challenge rating less than 1/4 your level sees you, it is automatically frightened. Creatures with a higher challenge rating must make a Wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your wisdom modifier. However, for this sword to be recognized, it must be polished for at least 2 hours during a long rest for every attack.
    Level 2-5: Stone of Summoning
    The emerald-lined sword is able to summon creatures. To summon a creature, make a wisdom check. The DC is equal to 16 - your proficiency bonus. You may roll this again and again. If you fail a throw, the effect is voided. However, if you stop because you want to, you may summon a creature. This creature must have a challenge rating of 1/8 X the number of successful rolls. The creature also must not be your size or larger. You may only use this ability once per every long rest, as it is very challenging mentally.
    Level 6-9: Focused Fury
    You are now able to use the sword as a spellcasting focus. In addition, you may choose to have any spell you cast with the sword as your spellcasting focus deal 1d4 extra fire damage or 1d4 extra cold damage. If you cannot cast spells, you learn the spell firebolt. This will deal 1d10 damage. You also learn the spell Ray of Frost, which deals 1d8 cold damage. In addition, spells you cast require no somatic component as long as you have a spellcasting focus.
    Level 10-12: Advanced Summoner:
    The DC to summon a creature is now reduced to 16 - your proficiency bonus - your wisdom modifier. In addition, you may now summon creatures that are your size.
    Level 13-16: Mystic Remembrance
    The Tooth is now able to remember spells that a user has performed. In addition, it is able to perform these spells faster. Instead of casting a spell in an action, you may cast that spell as a bonus action. This will put the spell onto the sword, making the effect of the spell null. The next attack you make using the Tooth will deal that spell's damage + 1d4 fire/cold damage, your choice. You also gain 1 spell slot of every level except ninth, and any spell that one of your companions has performed is remembered. You can use it at the cost of a spell slot.
    Level 17-20: Master Summoner
    You may use the summoner ability once per short rest, or twice per long rest. You may choose to automatically succeed on one roll per check, on one check per long rest. You may also summon creatures larger than you. The challenge rating is improved to 1/4 per successful roll.

28. - Top - End - #28

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Bard View Post
    My idea is the Encrested Tooth. It is a greatsword.
    On one half of the sword, it is covered in rubies, whereas on the other, it is covered in diamonds.
    The Tooth deals 1d4 + a number of d4 equal to your wisdom modifier.
    Encrested Tooth Special:
    Level 1-2: Fear Inspiring
    The massive sword is almost sure to terrify your enemies. The user gains proficiency in intimidation, and every time an enemy with a challenge rating less than 1/4 your level sees you, it is automatically frightened. Creatures with a higher challenge rating must make a Wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your wisdom modifier. However, for this sword to be recognized, it must be polished for at least 2 hours during a long rest for every attack.
    Level 2-5: Stone of Summoning
    The emerald-lined sword is able to summon creatures. To summon a creature, make a wisdom check. The DC is equal to 16 - your proficiency bonus. You may roll this again and again. If you fail a throw, the effect is voided. However, if you stop because you want to, you may summon a creature. This creature must have a challenge rating of 1/8 X the number of successful rolls. The creature also must not be your size or larger. You may only use this ability once per every long rest, as it is very challenging mentally.
    Level 6-9: Focused Fury
    You are now able to use the sword as a spellcasting focus. In addition, you may choose to have any spell you cast with the sword as your spellcasting focus deal 1d4 extra fire damage or 1d4 extra cold damage. If you cannot cast spells, you learn the spell firebolt. This will deal 1d10 damage. You also learn the spell Ray of Frost, which deals 1d8 cold damage. In addition, spells you cast require no somatic component as long as you have a spellcasting focus.
    Level 10-12: Advanced Summoner:
    The DC to summon a creature is now reduced to 16 - your proficiency bonus - your wisdom modifier. In addition, you may now summon creatures that are your size.
    Level 13-16: Mystic Remembrance
    The Tooth is now able to remember spells that a user has performed. In addition, it is able to perform these spells faster. Instead of casting a spell in an action, you may cast that spell as a bonus action. This will put the spell onto the sword, making the effect of the spell null. The next attack you make using the Tooth will deal that spell's damage + 1d4 fire/cold damage, your choice. You also gain 1 spell slot of every level except ninth, and any spell that one of your companions has performed is remembered. You can use it at the cost of a spell slot.
    Level 17-20: Master Summoner
    You may use the summoner ability once per short rest, or twice per long rest. You may choose to automatically succeed on one roll per check, on one check per long rest. You may also summon creatures larger than you. The challenge rating is improved to 1/4 per successful roll.
    Thank you for your idea

29. - Top - End - #29

RangerGuy

I have another thread I could use some help on. It is about creating more details in a campaign world. Here is the link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ampaign-Advice