New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How do you fit a hat onto a head

I doodled what my current profile picture is in an attempt to mimic the oots style, and as you can tell, the top hat doesn't look quite right. It fit onto the circle of the head, but when I added the hair, it doesn't look like it is just coming out from the hat but instead cutting through it. I don't want to make it much bigger either, so how is it best drawn? I think the proportions for this style are off since I didn't bother to find a reference picture (which would have been quite useful, actually)

I'm planning to re-draw it correctly this time and put effort into it, so best to figure out how everything is drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How do you fit a hat onto a head

Make the hair in the back curve sharply inward, so it looks like the hat is squeezing it in.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

The two times I can remember a top hat being worn in OotS offhand were a pie and a roach, neither of which offer much help on the subject of hair. That said, one problem I see here is that the tapering of the hat at the bottom is skinnier than the where it meets your character's hair. You could solve that the way shawnhcorey said, by altering the spot where the hair and hat's bottom meet, but that could cause some odd tangents where the lines intersect.

However, doing my research, I'd be inclined to draw the hat with a different brim myself. Most top hats I see have an upward curve to the brim, which is what the pie in strip #91 seems to be representing (I checked) and might actually help your issue in another way. Jus' give it a good little tilt and adjust as needed.

Example, a bit rough:

The weird-coloured hat is just to show where I placed my shapes in Inkscape. If you do it another way, it's probably not relevant.

If you don't feel up to redrawing, I'd just fiddle around with where the hair and hat align. Maybe raise the hat some. Obviously, you should do it in whatever way works for you. Hope that helps at all!

As an aside, it was weird working with a pure OotS style.
    Last edited by Shoreward; 2017-05-14 at 07:28 PM.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreward View Post
    The two times I can remember a top hat being worn in OotS offhand were a pie and a roach, neither of which offer much help on the subject of hair. That said, one problem I see here is that the tapering of the hat at the bottom is skinnier than the where it meets your character's hair. You could solve that the way shawnhcorey said, by altering the spot where the hair and hat's bottom meet, but that could cause some odd tangents where the lines intersect.

However, doing my research, I'd be inclined to draw the hat with a different brim myself. Most top hats I see have an upward curve to the brim, which is what the pie in strip #91 seems to be representing (I checked) and might actually help your issue in another way. Jus' give it a good little tilt and adjust as needed.

Example, a bit rough:

The weird-coloured hat is just to show where I placed my shapes in Inkscape. If you do it another way, it's probably not relevant.

If you don't feel up to redrawing, I'd just fiddle around with where the hair and hat align. Maybe raise the hat some. Obviously, you should do it in whatever way works for you. Hope that helps at all!

As an aside, it was weird working with a pure OotS style.
    This is extremely helpful. I don't use inkscape, but it's still relevant. Thank you for the drawing to demonstrate! I didn't think of making the rim pop up a little like that. There was one panel in oots where there was a gnome with a top hat in the steampunk splash panel. I think it might have been drawn similar to how you did, though I haven't checked. I appreciate it, and will probably redraw with your method.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!