New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Are Vrocks a metaphor for nuclear weapons?

Vrock demons are notable for several of their special abilities, which don't intuitively match each other. It's impossible to easily characterize them as "bird demons" in the same way that bebiliths are "spider demons", succubi are "seduction demons", or babau are "assassin demons", when their unusual abilities make up so much of their identity:

-Their Dance of Ruin, which takes several rounds to get going, and needs cooperation between multiple demons to get going. Notably, it takes cooperation between normally chaotic demons to function. This ability is a clear metaphor for the Manhattan project, which relied on the coordination of an immense amount of scientists, as well as cooperation with the military. After 3 rounds (read: 3 years between 1942, when the Manhattan project began, and 1945, when the first atomic bomb was exploded), a massive explosion results, obliterating everyone within 100 ft. The requirement for three vrocks to perform the effect is a clear reference to the Iron Triangle of the military-industrial complex.

-Their spores, which infect creatures with damage. Strangely, they count as both a poison and a disease, which makes little sense, unless we view them through the lens of radioactive fallout. In this context, the nature of the spores are clear- they are the radioactive isotopes, which enter the skin through the pores, poisoning creatures afflicted by it (and so it can be removed by neutralize poison), and then giving them radiation sickness (which is removed by remove disease).

-Their stunning screech is a clear portrayal of the reaction to the sheer power of nuclear weapons. Upon hearing their cry, only a true monster (a demon, in fact) is unaffected by the knowledge of what nuclear weapons represent.

In conclusion, I need sleep.
    Last edited by aimlessPolymath; 2017-05-14 at 07:30 PM.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Are Vrocks a metaphor for nuclear weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    In conclusion, I need sleep.
    Beautiful ending! :P

Makes a surprising amount of sense.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow @ the seeming clarity of this theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Username checks out.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.