New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Road Trip to Save The World!)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm not very smart sometimes
    I mean, I don't blame you if you didn't know that it was melee before getting rid of the other one. I'm just one of those people who has gotten into the habit of always, always, always making sure that I can use a new piece of equipment well before getting rid of the old one. But, that's because I, too, have gotten burned in the past...
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Road Trip to Save The World!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I mean, I don't blame you if you didn't know that it was melee before getting rid of the other one. I'm just one of those people who has gotten into the habit of always, always, always making sure that I can use a new piece of equipment well before getting rid of the old one. But, that's because I, too, have gotten burned in the past...
    Well keep in mind they take up item slots, so it's only prudent to remove the old weapons. I just felt it wouldn't be that big a deal.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Well keep in mind they take up item slots, so it's only prudent to remove the old weapons. I just felt it wouldn't be that big a deal.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Especially since the Dual Shooter was basically "Original Weapon, except doubled". Curse you, limited inventory slots!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AsteriskAmp View Post
    Also south, and east, and more north. (The sequels show the map is actually much bigger than what's shown in this game).
    On the other hand, the sequels also appear to have essentially nothing to do with FFCC - they share a name and also have important crystals, and that's where it ends. Then there's the small matter of how much worse they are.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #65

A wild video appears! What do? Watch.

Zodi Plays: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [8] A Foreboding Court

Video Length: 37:23

Starting us off this video, we visit Shella, the ancient mysterious Yuke village. You can only enter if you pay them a Mark of Shella, though they sell those inside the city and they're easy enough to find in the Sluice. Within the confines of the honestly rather beautiful village we find a bunch of Yukes, and get a little more insight into how these weirdos work. There really isn't much TOO Shella, but important details include the fact that a lot of people here tend to forget things, and there's a Selkie wizard scientist trying to find a way to create crystal-less travel through the Miasma! That's pretty exciting, I wonder how he'll do. After Shella we return to the Jegon River, inadvertently finding a mysterious Selkie woman, and also finding that Knocfelna, the royal guard we talked to last time, hunting after her with his gigantic dog. Nothing that's really our business, so we take the Jegon Ferry off to the next hub area of the game, the Plains of Fum! In which we find the farming village The Fields of Fum, irrigated by the Jegon and large enough to have three crystals keeping it going! That must be hectic. We explore the village, finding it quaint and nice, impulse buy a cow, and head off for our next destination.

In all honesty, I should of done the Daemon's Court last, because in style and scope it feels like a "final dungeon" for lack of a better term. It's only a single room large, but it is a massive fortress full of enemies. This is some of the hardest basic enemy encounters we'll have in this game, with Giant Lizardmen that can stun us, Lizardmen that carry spears that can stun us, Lizard Wizards that can cast thunder magic which etc etc the point is this is a place were you'll get stunlocked to death if you're not careful and I almost do a few times! This place also has Killer Bee's, which are not a big deal if you have Gravity but oops guess who forgot how to make Gravity it's me. There's also Wraiths, horrible ghosts that require you to cast Holy on them before they're really able to be hurt. They have 20 hp and until you hit them with Holy they only take one damage from any damage source. It sucks. One of the Wraith's have the Life stone you need to cast Holy on them! There's also Coeurl's about, serving as pets to the lizards.

This dungeon has three gimmicks to it. First off, there are catapults. Hit them and they'll launch rocks once in the direction that they're facing. They're really hard to actually use properly, but props for them trying to make something fancy. Second is that there is a Bomb on a log bridge that we cannot cross, that we must cast magic at to kill the bomb on it, and it's explosion causes the logs to be sent down river. This is apparently supposed to open up some areas in another dungeon, but a buddy of mine has done some testing and can't actually see any difference. Which is actually kind of a problem this game has. Since it's a relatively obscure game, not everything is fully documented about it! The third gimmick for this stage is that there are two yellow lizardmen throughout the fort, each holding a key to the boss's chamber. It's a neat little bit of gameplay that I kind of like.

Once we've unlocked the boss's chamber, it's time to fight! The leader of the Lizardmen appears, the Lizardman King! I actually really like his dinosaur-y style design, and his weapons are pretty cool. That pile bunker on his arm can be launched forward as a powerful thrust attack, though it's easy to dodge. Less easy to dodge is his shield arm attack, which both protects him from damage and spews out a bunch of arrows. The King also has a small little wiggle spin attack if you're too close to him, which does almost no damage, and is actually really easy to bait him into so uh actually this boss is super easy holy crap. The biggest threat here is the coeurl's getting in the way, or the occasional Lizardmen soldier coming in to hit the switch that causes the buzzsaw trap to activate, and even then it's just a minor issue. It can even hurt the boss and other adds too! So yeah overall this isn't a hard boss at all.

With the lizards routed, we get our Myrrh from the tree they built this "court" around. Another drop for the bucket. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys next time.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    On the other hand, the sequels also appear to have essentially nothing to do with FFCC - they share a name and also have important crystals, and that's where it ends. Then there's the small matter of how much worse they are.
    MLAAD does have a direct link to this game, and it's pretty decent if totally disconected gameplay wise.
    Spoiler: Linked through a sidequest that pretty much requires a guide to find in this game
    Show
    Fiona is an important character, as close as you can get to the main antagonist of that game.

My Life as King directly references the events of FFCC as the plot is how they will now rebuild since there is no longer miasma everywhere, while monsters have to face the prospect of being pushed outside civilization again.

The Crystal Bearers, the official SEQUEL, does have a link of sorts but is tenuous and the game REALLY bad.
    Spoiler: Aptly enough for timing, about Shella
    Show
    It's implied the Yuke city in the edge of oblivion is Shella.

The prequels which are ... passable since they are just run-of-the-mill RPGs do have a REALLY strong connection, since RTR is the main hub in the games.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-06-05 at 02:08 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Do you need a Mark each and every single time you wish to enter? Or just so long as you have one on your person? (i.e is each one single use?)

Also, yeah, the bridge effect is cool.

I can definitely see the Yuke influence on the sluice, now.

More mention of fading memories. I wonder if it has anything too do with the miasma and/or myrrh and/or crystals?

"Why didn't you just steal the cow?"

The boss looks very top-heavy.

Enemies Defeated (Zodipedia version):
    Ahriman: 3
    Bomb: 10
    Coeurl: 7
    Electric Jellyfish: 5
    Flan, Water: 9
    Flan, Yellow: 5
    Gargoyle: 4
    Gigan Toad: 4
    Gremlin: 9
    Goblin: 27
    Goblin, Blue: 5
    Goblin, Giant: 8
    Gryphon: 3
    Hedgehog: 9
    Killer Bee: 4
    Plant, Carrion: 5
    Plant, Hell: 15
    Humble Bat: 5
    Lizardfolk: 7
    Lizardfolk, Blue: 18
    Lizardfolk, Giant Blue: 6
    Lizard Wizard: 2
    Lizard Wizard, Blue: 3
    Ogre: 2
    Orc: 23
    Skeleton, Soldier: 6
    Skeleton, Wizard: 13
    Squirrel: 10
    Tonberry Chef: 10
    Worm, Carrion: 13
    Worm, Tiny: 3
    Wraith: 4

Bosses Defeated:
    Crab, Giant
    Mini-Malboro, Giant
    Orc, King
    Goblin, King
    Jack Moschet, Gigas
    Maggie Moschet, Lamia
    Armstrong, Living House
    Golem, Sluice
    Lizardfolk, King

8. - Top - End - #68

Do you need a Mark each and every single time you wish to enter? Or just so long as you have one on your person? (i.e is each one single use?)

Also, yeah, the bridge effect is cool.

I can definitely see the Yuke influence on the sluice, now.

More mention of fading memories. I wonder if it has anything too do with the miasma and/or myrrh and/or crystals?

"Why didn't you just steal the cow?"

The boss looks very top-heavy.
    It's a single use item, yeah, this why you can buy the marks. If you're a Yuke you can just go in without any problem though.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 8:

But wait, Jegon River is another Crystal, that means there needs to be nine more trees! So....Malta, Marrs Pass, Alfitaria, Shella, Jegon River... thats four villages plus one crystal for passage meaning 45 trees...plus Fields of Fum raises the count to 54 trees needed to sustain all this. Now wait two crystals for Fields of Fum, NINE MORE TREES! 63 Myrrh Trees to sustain all this plus 8 for Tida 71 before Tida died and now 72. no wait three crystals for Fields of Fum, NINE MORE TREES! 81 Myrrh Trees. Maybe Mars pass screwed over Tida when they put in the Jegon River crystal?

Moo.

heh, ironic. the guard probably sent to guard against thieves......is the thief themselves.

Daemon's Court.....I remember this tune, I think this is the farthest I got before I quit entirely. Nice beat though. and monsters have an actual society. ok weird.

not the best music? Zodi, I must disagree with you.

its the difficulty of the level that I dislike, especially the wraiths, never got through it.

you ARE storming a horrible fortress of monsters, Zodi. no as if about it.

Lizardman King, a giant lizard with a bow shield and a three-pronged spike gauntlet of +3 screw you.

well Myrrh trees, if Tida was any indication, have something to do with memory. at the same time, a lot of people within the villages are forgetting things. Why is that? why did a Myrrh tree sprout from a memory, when Tida would've probably be undergoing the same lack of memory as everyone else? strange is not? why do the crystals depend on a source of energy that only grows in miasma, guarded by monsters that seem to sprout in memorial to the fallen? but why do people within those villages they protect begin to forget things

theory: the crystals are not your protectors. they're apart of the miasma system. they suck up your memories gradually as the years go by, like a seed drawing nutrients from dirt to store itself up. then when all the memories are drank up, the shield drops and blooms into a Myrrh Tree and everyone dies to the Miasma, and the Myrrh drops are just a replacement, a thing that keeps the Crystal fed until you fail, but of course nurturing the village and its memories more so that when it finally falls, the Myrrh Tree is bigger than ever, the villages are basically little gardens of memories waiting to be harvested into a Myrrh tree that monsters then move in and gather around to drink from to sustain their own existence, and every place that has a Myrrh Tree was once safer or had a memory associated with it.

Moschet Manor used to be a normal manor, Daemons Court used to be a Lilty fortress probably, the Iron Mines was a Lilty mine, Veo De Sluice a Yuke invention. all of these once had a purpose, people there that would have memories of the place, and now there is a only Myrrh Trees there. all of this is an ecosystem, hostile to the normal life forms that were there first, but why? why is the question.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere
    *crystal stuff*
    I mean, I'm pretty sure they aren't connected, but...
    Spoiler: FF XII: Revenant Wings Spoilers
    Show
    The auracite crystals in Revenant Wings were used to summon Esper protectors. The problem is, that repeated use of them stole the souls and, eventually, essentially the memories of the user, and used it to feed their god in order to keep himself alive. And the auraliths, giant crystals that maintained the safety (well, "safety") and isolation of the sky continent, accelerated that process. So, yeah, the crystals that were supposedly there to protect them? Killing them all along.

So, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it was something along those lines.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    OBut wait, Jegon River is another Crystal, that means there needs to be nine more trees! So....Malta, Marrs Pass, Alfitaria, Shella, Jegon River... thats four villages plus one crystal for passage meaning 45 trees...plus Fields of Fum raises the count to 54 trees needed to sustain all this. Now wait two crystals for Fields of Fum, NINE MORE TREES! 63 Myrrh Trees to sustain all this plus 8 for Tida 71 before Tida died and now 72. no wait three crystals for Fields of Fum, NINE MORE TREES! 81 Myrrh Trees. Maybe Mars pass screwed over Tida when they put in the Jegon River crystal?
    There's always the possibility that those "depleted" sites are only depleted because one of the other caravans got to them first. This drastically lowers the estimate of needed crystals.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    There's always the possibility that those "depleted" sites are only depleted because one of the other caravans got to them first. This drastically lowers the estimate of needed crystals.
    no its explicitly said that it takes two years for a tree to get Myrrh available again after you harvest a drop. just straight up "Myrrh Trees need two years to recover." that and trees from the first year are full now, even though the caravan from Marrs Pass could easily get them all, and I'm betting you come fourth year, those three dungeons will still be full despite Marrs Pass being right next to them, because this is a videogame.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

I still think the number can be explained down by a rotation system.

One additional point of complexity to explain "needs two years to recover" - each crystal needs a slightly different {some mystical property} in its Myrrh. The trees are signaled to produce this by the chalices, which come from the crystals. A tree needs two years recovery to produce the same kind of Myrrh as the previous year, but can produce a different kind every year. That would enforce a minimum cycle time of three years, which means that one crystal still needs nine trees for full support, but those nine trees can support up to three crystals.

That would also explain why you can pass a caravan going in another direction (where you can't harvest anything) in some events, and why there's only one caravan per village (only one chalice, because the chalices match the crystals).

EDIT:
    I made a map! Towns/dungeons to follow.
    Spoiler: image
    Show

Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-06-06 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #74

And so we end our third year. Let's go.

Zodi Plays: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [9] A Windy Cave

Video Length: 40:41

Starting off this episode, we have a brief run in with the whole "side quest" thing regarding Knocfelna and the mysterious obvious princess. Moving on, we enter the Selepation Cave, our next dungeon. A massive cave system, labyrinthine and confusing due to everything mostly looking the same. It's just like if we revisited the Mines! Only far more brighter and far more blue. I cannot overstate how gigantic this area is, passageways stretching on for quite a long time. There's a ton of enemies in this dungeon, and all of them are pretty powerful. We have the occasional Lizardman of course, plus their giant variants. We've got Killer Bee's back, as well as the Electric Jellyfish. We have the Cockatrice, a horrible bird who's name is gonna be censored on one of the forums I post this on (oops!) which can shoot petrifying blasts, can cast a slow spell, and has poison breath. A nice little bundle of status effects. We've also got the sehagin, fishmen that can spit water at you, hit your face, and cast ice spells. Then we have the Blazer Beetle, which has a variety of horrible deadly stabby moves, and finally the Gigas, which has frost breath and can do some dangerous punches. All in all, the enemy spread here is quite vast and all the foes you must face down are pretty dangerous in groups. I kinda like it. Gameplay wise the cave doesn't have much going for it. There are two doors that you need to hit these crystal switches at the same time to open, and there are three elevators that can be used as a sort of short cut, sort of bridge to get some more loot. All in all this dungeon is more compelling for it's combat than anything else.

So, let's talk about the boss! The boss is the Cave Worm, a massive goopy looking face in a hard chitin like shell. As an immobile boss it has the "come closer" sucking move, it has a long range slow orb attack and can spray some kind of mud or poison as a breath attack. Those are it's only ranged options, and they're very weak. Up close it can swing it's body back and forth, and after awhile do a brutal ground slam. These attacks will DESTROY you. They're very powerful, and I am in constant risk of death throughout this entire fight as a result. REALLY feeling that lack of a ranged focus attack right now, hahaaah. The Cave Worm's adds are Electric Jellyfish, but I can easily dispatch those since my blizzard ring means we've finally gotten three orbs of Blizzard! Blizzaga is surprisingly useful, if I do say so myself. Not against the boss though he resists ice. After a long and hard fight, we finally win, melting the Worm's body to go. We get our final drop of Myrrh for the year, and can finally return home.

While we were getting the Myrrh though, I noted in video that the chalice and the worm's shell had kind of similar feels to them, art wise, and I feel that's a topic worth bringing up, because thinking on it...all of FFCC kinda had this great feel of looking like it's trying to directly look like some of Yo****aka Amano's art. Who is Amano? Well, he's the artist behind a lot of rather iconic Final Fantasy designs. Designs so elaborate that the in game sprites of the older games often didn't even try to emulate them, going in completely opposite directions. He also does the logo for each game. I bring him up because, as said above, I feel like FFCC is the only game to try 100% to emulate his art style. I don't know if he did work on this game, but the chalice and the Myrrh tree are things that he would definitely just draw, and they've put it into the game without changing a thing. His work always has this beautiful kind of look to it, ranging from strange curly armoured men/trees to fairly gender ambigious heroes to landscapes that I genuinely cannot tell you what they are, even though I know the game they're about intimately. His artwork is beautiful, and the designs in this game all feel like they're trying their best to show off his style of art in a more "real" 3D sense. Look at the Lilty and Yuke races, especially in regards to the Lilty's tufts of onion hair. They seem straight out of Amano's art. The Chalice, too, has this fascinating design that so clearly looks like various Final Fantasy title logos, which is a shame since the logo for FFCC is the Myrrh Tree. Missed opportunity, that, though still good looking. In summery...art is good, and for some reason due to the art I'm now thinking the Chalice might have some connection to insects(?) like the Cave Worm, due to the patterning and art looking similar.

At any rate, my miniessay/rant/whatever about Amano's art aside, that's the end of the video, and the end of Year 3. I hope you all enjoyed, and I'll see you all next time.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-06-09 at 12:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

On 9:
    and this is....just a cave. with a wind myth attached to it. I think I beat this one actually, I remember doing so vaguely but never beating Daemon Court.

.....and wow its really that hard, mazelike and full of obstacles? guess I must've taken the other path that would end this in 15 minutes, because I don't remember it being hard.

wait....eight more moogles......that means there is at least eight more dungeons! but given that there is at least one town for every three dungeons, there must actually be six. so given that this is year three, and therefore nine Myrrh Trees, six more would be fifteen dungeons......ooooh thats nowhere near enough to support these towns, they are definitely either doing some shenanigans like Qwerty suggested or there are lot more Myrrh trees than we will see.

and I'm telling you Zodi......the Miasma and the crystals....its all connected. ALL OF IT! I'm totally not a crazy conspiracy theorist!

Wait.....memories that grow dim are eaten by a terrible demon...... I think I know whats going on now. and onto year four. I've never seen year four. this will be interesting.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2017-06-09 at 03:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Selepation. That's a fun word to say. It doesn't quite have weight to it like some other fun words (like, say, thwack), but there's just something about it.

Oh, one thing you should look out for, and I should have mentioned this prior, is that occasionally some text in your video repeats itself, like when mentioning "bad decisions" in regards to fighting the Killer Bee with Blizzaga.

Reading back over the memories, I wonder if it's different visiting Shella as a Yuke. Because it would seem strange musing about a Yuke's body (or potential lack thereof) as one.

Blazer Beetle: 5
    Cockatrice: 10
    Coeurl: 7
    Electric Jellyfish: 23
    Gigas: 7
    Goblin: 27
    Killer Bee: 9
    Lizardfolk: 13
    Lizardfolk, Giant: 3
    Lizard Wizard: 5
    Ogre: 2
    Sauhagin: 9

Bosses Defeated:
    Crab, Giant
    Mini-Malboro, Giant
    Orc, King
    Goblin, King
    Jack Moschet, Gigas
    Maggie Moschet, Lamia
    Armstrong, Living House
    Golem, Sluice
    Lizardfolk, King
    Worm, Cave

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    and I'm telling you Zodi......the Miasma and the crystals....its all connected. ALL OF IT! I'm totally not a crazy conspiracy theorist!
    I mean... you are, but that doesn't mean that you're necessarily wrong.
    (I don't actually know if you are or not. I'm leaning towards you being right in some form, but, who knows.)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Well. I think this video really made the game's pacing problems sink in for me - I had the speed on x1.5 the entire time and it looked entirely reasonable and playable. Maybe a little too much movespeed, but the combat looks so much better. Even most of the music sounds fine sped up.

Also, reposting this since it was a late edit (to avoid doubling it):

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    EDIT:
    I made a map! Towns/dungeons to follow.
    Spoiler: image
    Show

Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-06-09 at 08:04 PM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Well. I think this video really made the game's pacing problems sink in for me - I had the speed on x1.5 the entire time and it looked entirely reasonable and playable. Maybe a little too much movespeed, but the combat looks so much better. Even most of the music sounds fine sped up.

Also, reposting this since it was a late edit (to avoid doubling it):
    The game feels rather sloggish as a player as well, it feels like you are walking through tar with how movement is almost like pulling a chain around with a weird feeling of input delay because of how characters gain momentum in the engine. The rate for the string combo is also slower than one would expect and takes a lot of time to get used to.

Playing the game at 150% is borderline unnoticeable until you drop back to the original clock speed (except for the music but most of it is actually still pretty good when sped up). Incidentally at 150% the string combo is doable with just mashing alone. Heck, even the narration is improved by the speed-up.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2017-06-09 at 11:39 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

19. - Top - End - #79

Selepation. That's a fun word to say. It doesn't quite have weight to it like some other fun words (like, say, thwack), but there's just something about it.

Oh, one thing you should look out for, and I should have mentioned this prior, is that occasionally some text in your video repeats itself, like when mentioning "bad decisions" in regards to fighting the Killer Bee with Blizzaga.

Reading back over the memories, I wonder if it's different visiting Shella as a Yuke. Because it would seem strange musing about a Yuke's body (or potential lack thereof) as one.
    Yeah I should...stop editing while tired.

If you go to Shella as a Yuke they're like "hey heeey welcome home to your true home" and are far more accomedating, withing the confines the game's mechanics.

The game feels rather sloggish as a player as well, it feels like you are walking through tar with how movement is almost like pulling a chain around with a weird feeling of input delay because of how characters gain momentum in the engine. The rate for the string combo is also slower than one would expect and takes a lot of time to get used to.

Playing the game at 150% is borderline unnoticeable until you drop back to the original clock speed (except for the music but most of it is actually still pretty good when sped up). Incidentally at 150% the string combo is doable with just mashing alone. Heck, even the narration is improved by the speed-up.
    I'm never not glad I have a friend who can do all this science stuff for me.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

If you go to Shella as a Yuke they're like "hey heeey welcome home to your true home" and are far more accomedating, withing the confines the game's mechanics.
    I remember you mentioning that in the video. But, I meant the diary entry you get from it, where it includes musings on the nature of the Yuke. I think it'd be a little weird for a Yuke to write that.

21. - Top - End - #81

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, the narration does seem like it needed to be sped up a bit, now that you mention it. Or at least have fewer pauses.

It's a single use item, yeah, this why you can buy the marks. If you're a Yuke you can just go in without any problem though.
    The junkie gate keeper knows better than to trifle with another Yuke. Also that a Yuke would never give up such juicy Yuke-nip anyway.

He'll gladly extort all the drugs he can out of caravanners, though.

I'm going to go ahead and call it that the reason all these people are forgetting things is because either A. someone is trying to speed up Myrrh production or B. the ordinary source of Myrrh production is running out and so it's have to actively take from people's noticeable memories, implying that civilization is about to collapse and go extinct due to an imminent myrrh shortage/cessation.

I wonder if the sapient monsters are doing anything to help matters along in the latter case. Then again, there wouldn't be any need to try to defend Myrrh trees against adventurers-caravaners if the natural use of them was just hastening the monsters' inheritance of all of the world rather than just 99% of it.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-06-10 at 02:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember you mentioning that in the video. But, I meant the diary entry you get from it, where it includes musings on the nature of the Yuke. I think it'd be a little weird for a Yuke to write that.
    NOPE. If you are a Yuke you DO get free pass, no comments regarding to your race unsuitability for magic and almost all other Yukes will open welcoming back home. BUT, the diary entry is exactly the same. Which could be interpreted as even the Yukes being fascinated and wondering about the strangeness of their selves.

Spoiler: Some dialogue changes and the entry not changing.
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The junkie gate keeper knows better than to trifle with another Yuke. Also that a Yuke would never give up such juicy Yuke-nip anyway.
    It's more like a gated community, they greet you with welcome back home (as in the ancestral home of the Yuke) if you are a Yuke. Otherwise, you have to pay the privilege, tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    He'll gladly extort all the drugs he can out of caravanners, though.
    Non-Yuke caravanners.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Which could be interpreted as even the Yukes being fascinated and wondering about the strangeness of their selves.
    Or laughing at the tales of other races, I suppose. "Some say we're just souls? Ha."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Or laughing at the tales of other races, I suppose. "Some say we're just souls? Ha."
    Spoiler: The game that shan't be named... again
    Show
    They would laugh... at how they could even doubt them just being souls (which either they already are or in some years will become).

25. - Top - End - #85

And so, year four begins.

Zodi Plays: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [10] A Fiery Volcano

Video Length: 32:25

As always, we start off the year talking to our family and getting rewarded. In this case, with bannock and a fire craft blue print. Nice. We also learn from Roland that it seems as though the sage (which may or been from this village!) hired a strong knight to go traveling, to find the secrets of this world. Fascinating stuff, but we put it from our mind and go off to hunt for more Myrrh. We make some Mythril Armour for us at Marr's Pass, and have an encounter with Gurdy on our brief travel over...wherein he is being threatened with murder by the Fields of Fum caravan for lying about his quote unquote mail service. Uh oh. We save him, against our better judgement, and get rewarded with another verse of this poem he's decided he'll be telling us. Neat.

So, the first dungeon we're tackling today is one I've never done. If you talk to the Ferryman and pay him 500 gil, he'll take you to Mount Kilanda, a massive volcano. This is where we shall begin our hunting for the year. Mount Kilanda is a pretty big dungeon, but due to the "always go up" mentality of climbing a mountain, it's not as maze like as the wind cave was. It's also a lot more clear on where to go beyond that...though the gimmick of throwing water jugs into vents to open platforms is more than a little glitchy. The other thing this dungeon really has going for it is that it's FULL of enemies, most of which are to distract you from stopping the goblins carrying those giant knives to the boss of the dungeon. Me being me, and having never done this dungeon before, I only was able to stop the one goblin.

Enemy wise, we've got quite a few to deal with, though only one is really NEW new. We've got Lava Ahriman, who are identical to regular Ahriman but cast fire instead of lightning. Lava Mu which...are ice weak Mu and I think that's it. We have Coeurls back, alongside Ogres and Blazer Beetles.. The only new enemy is the Lamia, a scaled down version of Maggie. They hit you with their fans and cast Stop . Also, I say "They" but there's literally only the one Lamia in this entire dungeon. Huh. That aside, and as said above, this dungeon's main threat is that it's FULL of these enemies, so they can swarm you pretty effectively.

Of course, the real danger in this dungeon is the boss. A classic enemy through and through, it is the Iron Giant. A massive suit of armour wielding a likewise massive butcher's knife of a sword, this is probably the deadliest foe we've fought yet. The goblins present it it's swords, and the fight begins! It really only has three moves, but each move is incredibly power, capable of killing us in two hits for all but one of them. It has a simple sword swipe, which given it's size means a large area in front of it gets hurt. It has a sword beam for ranged attacks. It can also smash the ground with it's sword to cause a shock wave, which damages the sword. Once a sword is broken, it'll start fist fighting, doing a shoulder ram or a REALLY huge ground pound attack with it's fists, until finally deciding to get another sword...unless there are no swords left. In all honesty I find this guy easier to dodge when he HAS a sword, so...to each their own strategy wise. Goblin Wizards help support him, but are easily dispatched. And speaking of strategy, there are water pots around the arena that can be used to make massive steam vents to deal damage to the Iron Giant. They're not really that useful, especially given how finicky the lava vents are.

With the Iron Giant slain, we get our drop of Myrrh from atop the volcano, a job well performed. We pick up a Fire Ring for our trouble, which will be useful later. As always, I hope you all enjoyed. I'll see you guys next time.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Looked closer at the Ogre after I saw your comment on them (~21:00)... I think it's a narwhalrus (narwalrus?). Two tusks and a horn.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-06-12 at 10:48 PM.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 10:
    Year 4! I never seen this. This is completely new.....lets see what strange new frontiers we go to now...

the scholar found a knight and is from Malta.....odd.....

Gurdy.......your not being wise right now....

and yep, this is new for both of us, for Zodi playing this and me even seeing this at all.

and yeah, the Crystal we have does seem to get recharged with every drop probably. Whats weird though, is that despite this, it doesn't suck up all the Myrrh after taking its share if it does. Somehow, it only sucks up just enough to keep going and doesn't just sponge it all up to keep going for an incredibly long time, leaving enough for the big crystal.

Hm, perhaps water has purifying properties somehow? Or maybe the Miasma focuses on land?

wait wait.....a guide that didn't go past year three? wow, its not just me and Zodi, I guess most people don't make it past Year three! It is a bit of a slog with the somewhat slow animations involved, and the fact that its not meant for Solo play probably did that.

.......the boss of the Volcano is Cloud?

....well has a big sword and uses lightning magic a lot, so yeah..... totally Cloud. even his spikes make the Iron Giant look like Cloud. Or perhaps Cloud just looks like an Iron Giant....

but yeah, the mystery of Myrrh and the Miasma deepens.......

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

...hooooo boy am I late on this one. Let's just say it was... a week. Anyways, I am now in a better place to count things.

Fiery blaze? Shadow's gaze? Welcome to Mordor, everyone.

Ahriman, Lava: 10
    Blazer Beetle: 9
    Cockatrice: 10
    Coeurl: 17
    Electric Jellyfish: 23
    Gigas: 7
    Goblin: 29
    Killer Bee: 9
    Lamia: 1
    Lizardfolk: 13
    Lizardfolk, Giant: 3
    Lizard Wizard: 5
    Ogre: 13
    Sauhagin: 9
    Squirrel, Lava: 3

Bosses Defeated:
    Crab, Giant
    Mini-Malboro, Giant
    Orc, King
    Goblin, King
    Jack Moschet, Gigas
    Maggie Moschet, Lamia
    Armstrong, Living House
    Golem, Sluice
    Lizardfolk, King
    Worm, Cave
    Giant, Iron

Looked closer at the Ogre after I saw your comment on them (~21:00)... I think it's a narwhalrus (narwalrus?). Two tusks and a horn.
    According to the Yukes, it's three horns.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

What's the expected time until end-of-game? I want to finish up the map before the game ends but I don't know how much rushing that would require.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90

What's the expected time until end-of-game? I want to finish up the map before the game ends but I don't know how much rushing that would require.
    That is a fascinating question that I'll answer more completely later. Suffice to say...I am unsure.