New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What happened to #1071?

I am new to the forum, and I looked but couldn't find a topic like this. If this is in the wrong place please move it.

I was used to seeing a new comic about every other week on a Wednesday. However, there have been no new comics in several weeks. Did I miss something? Is there a problem somewhere?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: What happened to #1071?

Rich has been working on the O-Chul story for his Kickstarter backers, which is why he's been a bit quiet for the last few weeks. As he said in his latest tweet:

"That's the O-Chul prequel for Kickstarter backers. Now that that's done, I will be getting back to the main comic."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It's also worth noting that, despite any patterns you might have noticed, there is no official posing schedule and discussion of such matters is discouraged.
    Given that you're new I'm sure the mods will be forgiving, but its worth reading the forum rules to avoid accidentally bringing up banned topics.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

To be fair, the inappropriate topics section only says:

Missed/Late Comics: Threads speculating on when a comic will be posted or why it may be late will be locked; this does not apply to official threads started by site staff providing notification of a late comic.
    Nowhere can a new user be expected to learn that there is no schedule, or that we can sometimes go a month or more between comics. Scaring people with threats of moderators ruling with an iron fist for asking what the schedule is serves no purpose, especially when it's not stated anywhere on the site. Just tell them there's no schedule and that we don't discuss it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Fair point. I meant it in the sense that its not generally discussed but the op shouldn't worry about it, but with hindsight it's easily misinterpreted and the second sentence of my post was probably ill advised.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Have a look at Rich's tweets on the lower left hand side of the
    forum screen. You'll see he told us that he was working on the kickstarter O-chul backstory which was absorbing all his time and energy, and he would resume posting the main comic when it was done. As is normal for such projects, it took a bit longer than expected.

In other threads, Rich has told us that when he gets up to work he has three things to tackle: 1) Kickstarter stories which he promised to deliver. 2) Merchandising which he didn't promise but still pays his bills. 3) The online free comic, which doesn't pay anything but still serves as a kind of 'free advertising' for the stuff which pays his bills.

Although Rich tries to get to it, it's pretty obvious that the online comic is not the highest priority.

It should also be noted that, unlike something like Erfworld or Quantum Vibe, Rich does not have a staff of colorists and artists and other people working with him to churn this out. It's all him.

Rich has occasionally voiced the wish to put the main comic on hiatus and simply push out all the kickstarter rewards so he can get back to focusing on the other two beasts. I, personally, would give him permission to do so, if it was left up to me.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    In other threads, Rich has told us that when he gets up to work he has three things to tackle: 1) Kickstarter stories which he promised to deliver. 2) Merchandising which he didn't promise but still pays his bills. 3) The online free comic, which doesn't pay anything but still serves as a kind of 'free advertising' for the stuff which pays his bills.
    <snip>
    Rich has occasionally voiced the wish to put the main comic on hiatus and simply push out all the kickstarter rewards so he can get back to focusing on the other two beasts. I, personally, would give him permission to do so, if it was left up to me.
    Alternatively, I wish he would consider setting up a Patreon. I - and I'm sure enough other readers - would probably be happy to sign up for a, say $1 per comic that it would allow the online comic to stop being free advertising so he'd feel less bad about having to concentrate on it every so often.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post

Nowhere can a new user be expected to learn that there is no schedule, or that we can sometimes go a month or more between comics. Scaring people with threats of moderators ruling with an iron fist for asking what the schedule is serves no purpose, especially when it's not stated anywhere on the site. Just tell them there's no schedule and that we don't discuss it.
    I agree wholeheartedly that we need to be kind to new users, but how do you not consider this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhair2048 View Post
    I was used to seeing a new comic about every other week on a Wednesday. However, there have been no new comics in several weeks. Did I miss something? Is there a problem somewhere?
    to be:

Threads speculating on when a comic will be posted or why it may be late
    ?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2017-05-16 at 09:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Alternatively, I wish he would consider setting up a Patreon. I - and I'm sure enough other readers - would probably be happy to sign up for a, say $1 per comic that it would allow the online comic to stop being free advertising so he'd feel less bad about having to concentrate on it every so often.

GW
    Personally, I'd vote against it. I started reading this webcomic from when I was in my teens, with no bank account attached to my name to pay on Patreon and no justification on spending even $1 on something like an online webcomic. Though I am capable and willing to pay even more for it now, I would never have gotten to this stage if it weren't free to read at the beginning, and I'm sure many future readers would also agree with me. I remember Rich saying something about this somewhere, that his book sells because readers already know what they're paying for, and it's worth it. Sure, it's a quick boost of income if he starts charging money for the comic, but in the long term that would hinder book sales.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Personally, I'd vote against it. I started reading this webcomic from when I was in my teens, with no bank account attached to my name to pay on Patreon and no justification on spending even $1 on something like an online webcomic. Though I am capable and willing to pay even more for it now, I would never have gotten to this stage if it weren't free to read at the beginning, and I'm sure many future readers would also agree with me. I remember Rich saying something about this somewhere, that his book sells because readers already know what they're paying for, and it's worth it. Sure, it's a quick boost of income if he starts charging money for the comic, but in the long term that would hinder book sales.
    You misunderstand the proposal: I am not suggesting that only people on the Patreon get to see new comics. I'm not even suggesting they'd get an advantage (like, say, "get the comic a day earlier" like some webcomics do). The comic would continue to be free, on this site, as it always has. All it would do is those of us who can afford it would get charged a set amount we pick per comic.

What is the advantage of this? Rich can predict this income. He can see how many people are willing to do so in advance - see that he will make, say, $200 for the next comic. That would allow him to place the priorities slightly differently, strengthening the priority of the comic over the other money-making endeavors by making the comic itself a money-maker.

The disadvantage might be in cannibalizing future book sales, not because he'd have fewer readers but because those who have paid for each page might feel the pinch to pay for them a second time. However, I don't believe it would be that big a risk, especially given the success of the pdfs.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-05-16 at 10:13 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I - and I'm sure enough other readers - would probably be happy to sign up for a, say $1 per comic that it would allow the online comic to stop being free advertising so he'd feel less bad about having to concentrate on it every so often.
    The problem is, he's said that it would put him under *more* pressure if he had a Patreon, because then there would be a bunch of people who *were* directly paying him to produce the comics. As things stand now, it's only the indirect pressure of wanting to put food on the table that drives his comic production.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The problem is, he's said that it would put him under *more* pressure if he had a Patreon, because then there would be a bunch of people who *were* directly paying him to produce the comics. As things stand now, it's only the indirect pressure of wanting to put food on the table that drives his comic production.
    That is certainly true, as we saw recently in the answers to his tweets from a less-than-outstanding human being. Even if the Patreon was, as I suggest, by the comic (rather than a lump sum per month), which makes it more a transaction ("you make a comic, we pay for that comic") than a contract ("we pay you X per month, you make comics"), there will be a-holes that consider themselves entitled to his work because they pay for it.

But I have to say, those entitled a-holes exist right now, even without paying for the comic - people who truly believe they are entitled to the next comic and that Rich is somehow failing on some promise when he takes a month off to do something else. I believe the Patreon idea is a good idea, despite what it would do to the a-holes' sense of entitlement.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-05-16 at 10:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Updating the FAQ in the news section might help new readers to orientate. This subject comes up frequently.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

As far as the Patreon goes, I think it's be better if it worked like an optional donation than setting Rich up for any pressure or expectations on a comic-to-comic basis. That's how Youtuber Jim Sterling operates. He just says, "Hey, if you like my stuff, feel free to support me so I can afford to continue to do this." He doesn't have any exclusive material, but he still makes about $12,000 a month, which is incredible.

Similarly, David "Dumbing of Age" Wills does this, though he also has Patreon exclusive strips. But he also includes them in book collections.

For Rich, I think the Jim Sterling approach would be better. Those that donate do so because they want to, and people who don't or can't donate don't miss out on anything.

I think, though, that Rich said he wants to clear his Kickstarter promises before even considering something like Patreon.
    Author of The Armadillo Mysteries.
    The City of Smoke & Mirrors and The Dame was a Tad Polish are available to buy on Amazon!
    (Yes, this is shameless self-promoting, but really, is there any OTHER type of self-promoting?)
    Blog
    Twitter

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Gifts View Post
    Fair point. I meant it in the sense that its not generally discussed but the op shouldn't worry about it, but with hindsight it's easily misinterpreted and the second sentence of my post was probably ill advised.
    People who step back out of their perspective for a moment, and try to see from someone else's POV, seem like a rare gift nowadays. I wish your temperament were as contagious as "Shut up you're stupid and evil because my TV said so" (on both sides). (^_~)

To be fair, reverse Dunning-Krueger works against all of us at some point: Those who are skilled/knowledgeable in a subject typically underestimate themselves. What's obvious and simple to someone who's known something for years... might not be to a newbie. Especially a rules section so extensive that it genuinely needs its search* function.

* - Not dissing it, it's a great idea. I wish my old D&D group had been thus blessed. (^_~)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I , personally , would want a 'tip jar' with no direct linking to some kind of consequence whatsoever. That way, if people wanted to help pay for the comic, they could do so, with the understanding that Rich was not obligated to any kind of schedule for doing so. That would enable us to help out, ensure Rich wasn't having to take charity (tips aren't charity!) and take away the pressure that would come with coupling the donations to a deadline.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I , personally , would want a 'tip jar' with no direct linking to some kind of consequence whatsoever. That way, if people wanted to help pay for the comic, they could do so, with the understanding that Rich was not obligated to any kind of schedule for doing so. That would enable us to help out, ensure Rich wasn't having to take charity (tips aren't charity!) and take away the pressure that would come with coupling the donations to a deadline.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Rich has been very clear that he does think tips are not dissimilar to donation, and that he wants to be paid only for actual product, precisely because he thinks that some people might misconstrue the tip for a payment for a promise of work.

That said, a tip jar already exists: buy a pdf, then delete it, every time you feel like donating to him.

The problem with that is that it is not predictable. Rich would have no idea, day to day, of how much money he is going to be making. It is better to have a small reliable income than a larger unreliable one. That's the key to my patreon idea: he can tell how much people have pledged. Also fundamental is that it is connected to an action: him publishing a strip, which I would hope would make him feel that he is getting paid for that work, vs his objection to unconnected donations.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-05-16 at 01:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post

This is one of the rules most in need of an update, because enforcement doesn't match the rule as written. Best to treat all discussion of anything relating to the schedule or lack thereof as off-limits, judging by previously closed threads.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that we need to be kind to new users, but how do you not consider this post:

to be:

?
    I didn't post all of his response because it isn't necessary. I have a few questions for you. Has anyone tried to find what you are supposed to know before posting without knowing what you are looking for in the rules? My comment above was not an attempt to demand that OotS return to its regularly scheduled posting. It was simply a comment of what I had become used to. If there was going to be a change of the posting schedule it would have been nice to have seen that posting on or near where the comic is posted, not having to go through hell and creation to find out what was going on. I have appreciated the comic for several years and I will miss it, but I am not staying where I am not welcome. Goodbye.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Rich has been very clear that he does think tips are not dissimilar to donation, and that he wants to be paid only for actual product, precisely because he thinks that some people might misconstrue the tip for a payment for a promise of work.
    [snip]
    Grey Wolf
    Wanted to say thanks for the link; it clarifies a great deal.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wanted to say thanks for the link; it clarifies a great deal.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    NP. To be clear, I disagree with Rich quite a few of the particulars of his position, but I'm not the one publishing the comic, so I just try to find a solution that works for him and me both.

BTW, ThatNickGuy was correct that there is another comment from Rich explicitly saying he might look into Patreon once his KS obligations are complete.

GW