New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Fighting Games General Thread(Street Fighter, MAHVEL BAYBEH, KOF, Mortal Kombat, etc)

Seeing there wasn't a thread for this genre(or at least there wasn't one I was aware of), I figured might as well make one.

This is for discussing any fighting game, wether classic, upcoming or just released. And to start us off, hey, Injustice 2 is here.

Thoughts? Expectations? Ideas on who the other DLC characters might be besides OBVIOUSLY Raiden and Black Manta. Also, was anyone actually surprised that they brought back Joker for the sequel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fighting Games General Thread(Street Fighter, MAHVEL BAYBEH, KOF, Mortal Kombat,

I've tried more than a few times to make threads for fighting games around here, but they never last long. I do keep making them for specific ones though, not the whole genre, so maybe this one will have a slightly better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    And to start us off, hey, Injustice 2 is here.

Thoughts? Expectations? Ideas on who the other DLC characters might be besides OBVIOUSLY Raiden and Black Manta. Also, was anyone actually surprised that they brought back Joker for the sequel?
    I'm passing on it, personally. After having tried both MK9 and the first Injustice, I don't think I want to try another NetherRealm game until I hear that they make some significant change to the gameplay. Their games just feel clunky to me compared to other fighters. Also, I really came to hate stage interactables in Injustice (transitions were fine, but interactables were awful), and not only are they still around, they've added that whole gear system, which seems like a patently awful idea for this particular genre to me. Balance in these games is hard enough to achieve without being able to be just statistically stronger than your opponents - and I don't think I even trust NetherRealm to have an online mode where gear stat adjustments are turned off by default, since they didn't have a mode with interactables turned off by default in the first game. Pity, since they've added some characters I would be pretty interested in if someone else were making the game (Atrocitus, Firestorm, Doctor Fate, Blue Beetle), but that's where I'm at.

(And no, not surprised in the least that the Joker's back. I'd be stunned if he wasn't.)

I also find myself in the weird position of passing on an ArcSys fighting game - Guilty Gear Rev 2. I picked up the first Revelator, but I actually wound up barely playing it, because I couldn't find a character I really liked, and this time around I don't think I'm willing to spend the money just to find out if the new additions gel with me better. I guess I'm waiting on a full new Guilty Gear with a lot more new/returning characters that I haven't gotten to try before at this point. Weird, considering I've never had that problem in any other fighting game, including ArcSys' other two series, BlazBlue and Persona Arena, which I love.

So for me, this year's big fighting game is unquestionably Marvel Infinite. The gameplay for that already looks pretty darn solid, so I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by rushing it with too little content for the casual fans again. Unfortunately the release date being surprisingly close and less than a year from when the game was first announced doesn't inspire confidence on that front, but yeah, we'll see. Even if they do, well, here's hoping for some good netcode for once. I'd probably still play Marvel 3 from time to time (and have bought it for PS4 when they did that) if the netcode weren't such trash.

Here's hoping for some good character reveals on that one come E3. I'm particularly eager to find out the fate of the Devil May Cry characters. Hopefully we've still got original Dante at least - ideally I'd also like Vergil and Trish, possibly even Lady as a newcomer, but the only one of those I have any real hope for is Vergil. And even there, I have to worry that they'll replace them with the reboot versions...
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fighting Games General Thread(Street Fighter, MAHVEL BAYBEH, KOF, Mortal Kombat,

Well I have a few games, I usually just-

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    and I don't think I even trust NetherRealm to have an online mode where gear stat adjustments are turned off by default,
    ...I'm going back to Skullheart.

Fine, I mostly play Skullgirls. Some Xrd, some Arcana Heart 3 (I love that game but nobody plays it), a little bit of 3rd Strike. That's about it, I'll keep it short.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-05-16 at 07:38 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Well I have a few games, I usually just-

...I'm going back to Skullheart.

Fine, I mostly play Skullgirls. Some Xrd, some Arcana Heart 3 (I love that game but nobody plays it), a little bit of 3rd Strike. That's about it, I'll keep it short.
    I used to play Skullgirls a little, back when it was pretty new. The online seemed pretty dead even then, though, so I fell out of it pretty quick. Plus I had a lot of trouble learning the combos - those air-to-ground juggles seemed mandatory for anything beyond extremely basic ones, but I could never get them to work.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm passing on it, personally. After having tried both MK9 and the first Injustice, I don't think I want to try another NetherRealm game until I hear that they make some significant change to the gameplay. Their games just feel clunky to me compared to other fighters. Also, I really came to hate stage interactables in Injustice (transitions were fine, but interactables were awful), and not only are they still around, they've added that whole gear system, which seems like a patently awful idea for this particular genre to me. Balance in these games is hard enough to achieve without being able to be just statistically stronger than your opponents - and I don't think I even trust NetherRealm to have an online mode where gear stat adjustments are turned off by default, since they didn't have a mode with interactables turned off by default in the first game. Pity, since they've added some characters I would be pretty interested in if someone else were making the game (Atrocitus, Firestorm, Doctor Fate, Blue Beetle), but that's where I'm at.

I also find myself in the weird position of passing on an ArcSys fighting game - Guilty Gear Rev 2. I picked up the first Revelator, but I actually wound up barely playing it, because I couldn't find a character I really liked, and this time around I don't think I'm willing to spend the money just to find out if the new additions gel with me better. I guess I'm waiting on a full new Guilty Gear with a lot more new/returning characters that I haven't gotten to try before at this point. Weird, considering I've never had that problem in any other fighting game, including ArcSys' other two series, BlazBlue and Persona Arena, which I love.

So for me, this year's big fighting game is unquestionably Marvel Infinite. The gameplay for that already looks pretty darn solid, so I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by rushing it with too little content for the casual fans again. Unfortunately the release date being surprisingly close and less than a year from when the game was first announced doesn't inspire confidence on that front, but yeah, we'll see. Even if they do, well, here's hoping for some good netcode for once. I'd probably still play Marvel 3 from time to time (and have bought it for PS4 when they did that) if the netcode weren't such trash.

Here's hoping for some good character reveals on that one come E3. I'm particularly eager to find out the fate of the Devil May Cry characters. Hopefully we've still got original Dante at least - ideally I'd also like Vergil and Trish, possibly even Lady as a newcomer, but the only one of those I have any real hope for is Vergil. And even there, I have to worry that they'll replace them with the reboot versions...
    - I'm waiting for the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC packs added, like I did for the first game. I'm not really much of an online player because of my country's horrid broadband, and most fighting games I play are usually among my friends or in local tournaments(where I get to be used as a mop, but it's still fun).

- I don't know how to feel about GG. On one hand, Blazblue was what got me into anime fighters in the first place, but I don't know why I don't feel like even trying GG, even though I like the characters and obviously the music. I'd like to be able to play P4U2 but region lock f'd me in the ass.

- I'm also suspicious of Marvel Infinity's release date, but who knows? Maybe going back to the original MvC's 2v2 formula is good. I like that this time we might have an actual plot with the characters interacting, instead of the 12 page intro comic that's basically "Doom knows how we can power our machine!"
    - Gilligan Cut to Galactus -
    "Who's been racking up Galactus' electricity bill?!"

- I would like to see Dante make a return, as well as Vergil. Maybe even Nero. I doubt they'll use the reboot ones, considering CAPCOM has been denying that game hard and pinning the blame almost entirely on Ninja Theory. I'd also like some actual info about either Resident Evil 2's HD Remake and/or an actual DMC5(or DMCV, if they wanna go the Kojima route).
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I'm getting more and more excited about Injustice 2, but I'm trying to keep it down and wait for the complete edition. I'm not even any good at fighting games, I'm not going to spend full price for this and then have to pay more for 20 billion DLC characters or whatever.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I used to play Skullgirls a little, back when it was pretty new. The online seemed pretty dead even then, though, so I fell out of it pretty quick. Plus I had a lot of trouble learning the combos - those air-to-ground juggles seemed mandatory for anything beyond extremely basic ones, but I could never get them to work.
    The game's changed a lot, but yeah off-the-grounds are really important. I figured out the timing when practicing my first Filia combo by using slow-mo in Training Mode (funny that the only other game I've played with Training slow-mo is Smash Bros). Setting the dummy to tech is important to get the exact timing too.

It's not super-active but most of the time I can find a match without red ping. Skill levels may vary. I'm on PC, I think most of the players have migrated there since it included the Endless Beta which, well, ended about a month ago for hopefully the last time (so Mike Z can finally get some sleep focus on Indivisible, also so the physical copy that's coming out really does carry the final update).

I play Ramlethal in Guilty Gear. She doesn't exactly click, but she plays so differently from anyone else and she's cute. I'm terrible with her.

Edit: Also the Rev 2 demo is available for PS+ members until the 26th.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-05-17 at 01:00 PM.
    My Steam profile

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love swamp thing, I have no worlds know that I found out he will be playable since he's kind of obscure.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-06-02 at 08:02 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

- I'm waiting for the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC packs added, like I did for the first game.
    I can understand that, but I never do that, personally. I'd always rather get the games when they come out - especially for fighting games, whose online is always most active within the first month after their release (and if they're not named Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, tend to end up with pretty limited online communities after that time). And I feel no desire to have all of the DLC - I just buy characters whose play style piques my interest, which rarely seems to happen with fighting game DLC. I never buy cosmetic stuff like costumes and stages, I don't see those as worth extra money.

- I don't know how to feel about GG. On one hand, Blazblue was what got me into anime fighters in the first place, but I don't know why I don't feel like even trying GG, even though I like the characters and obviously the music. I'd like to be able to play P4U2 but region lock f'd me in the ass.
    BlazBlue was actually the franchise that got me into the fighting game genre in general, and is still one of my all-time favorites. I actually prefer it to Guilty Gear even on base mechanics. But I think I like Guilty Gear in terms of gameplay as well - it's just the character issue that keeps me from getting into it. Which is kind of the reverse of what I've had in BlazBlue lately, where there's now a number of characters I enjoy and wish I could get better with, since the last two iterations added several that I liked.

- I'm also suspicious of Marvel Infinity's release date, but who knows? Maybe going back to the original MvC's 2v2 formula is good. I like that this time we might have an actual plot with the characters interacting,
    Yeah, that would be a step up, to be sure. Hopefully more of a step up than Street Fighter 5's story mode though - that was serviceable, but wound up kind of bland and dull. Not to mention hamstrung by Capcom deciding that it didn't need to be in the game at launch and could just be released four months later...

- I would like to see Dante make a return, as well as Vergil. Maybe even Nero. I doubt they'll use the reboot ones, considering CAPCOM has been denying that game hard and pinning the blame almost entirely on Ninja Theory. I'd also like some actual info about either Resident Evil 2's HD Remake and/or an actual DMC5(or DMCV, if they wanna go the Kojima route).
    The worst I've seen Capcom say about the reboot was that it didn't meet their (absurdly high) sales expectations. Granted, they've given no indication that they want a sequel to it, but that doesn't tell us much.

I'd love to find out that an actual DMC5 was going to be a thing, but I don't have high hopes for it. I think it's more likely that the reboot not meeting Capcom's expectations has killed the franchise, at least for the foreseeable future.

Nero I'm kind of ambivalent on. Even in DMC4 a lot of his playstyle is basically a more limited version of Dante, and the main thing that sets him apart, the arm, is too reminiscent of Spencer, whom I figure will probably be back. I guess if they do things right they could make him fun and different from Dante, but he doesn't really interest me as-is.

The game's changed a lot, but yeah off-the-grounds are really important. I figured out the timing when practicing my first Filia combo by using slow-mo in Training Mode (funny that the only other game I've played with Training slow-mo is Smash Bros). Setting the dummy to tech is important to get the exact timing too.

It's not super-active but most of the time I can find a match without red ping. Skill levels may vary. I'm on PC, I think most of the players have migrated there since it included the Endless Beta which, well, ended about a month ago for hopefully the last time (so Mike Z can finally get some sleep focus on Indivisible, also so the physical copy that's coming out really does carry the final update).
    I was playing on the 360 at the time, and these days would have to pick it up on PS4 to get back into it. I'm a console player, so if most of the players have migrated to PC, then unless cross play is a thing that would mean the online would be effectively dead for me. Which kind of kills the game for me, since that's the main thing I do in fighting games.

I play Ramlethal in Guilty Gear. She doesn't exactly click, but she plays so differently from anyone else and she's cute. I'm terrible with her.
    Ramlethal is who I played for much of the relatively small amount of time I've spent with Guilty Gear. She seemed fun, but I was frustrated by how complicated anything beyond the bare basics felt like it was, since it would involve setting out her swords, which always felt awkward to me. Plus, she seemed kind of weak, with a general lack of strong mixups - though that could just have been me not knowing what her good mixups are, I guess.

I played some Ky as well, since he's the most shoto-y of Guilty Gear's characters, but while I could play him to some small extent, I didn't really enjoy it very much. Just not a play style I want to play anymore, I guess, even though I can.

Edit: Also the Rev 2 demo is available for PS+ members until the 26th.
    Ah, really? I could try that then. Hm, I guess it might be worth a short break from Persona 5 to find out for sure whether Baiken or Answer gel with me better than the previous characters, if it's free.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I was playing on the 360 at the time, and these days would have to pick it up on PS4 to get back into it.
    Hm... a friend of mine said he was ranked highly on 360, I think he was the #1 player? Played Parasoul/Filia, not sure if he had a third.

(funny thing is that's also my team. Now, should I add Painwheel, or Squigly, or Eliza...)

I'll check the PS4 playerbase when I get the limited edition physical copy that ran back in November... SoonTM (about a month, probably).
    Ramlethal is who I played for much of the relatively small amount of time I've spent with Guilty Gear. She seemed fun, but I was frustrated by how complicated anything beyond the bare basics felt like it was, since it would involve setting out her swords, which always felt awkward to me. Plus, she seemed kind of weak, with a general lack of strong mixups - though that could just have been me not knowing what her good mixups are, I guess.

I played some Ky as well, since he's the most shoto-y of Guilty Gear's characters, but while I could play him to some small extent, I didn't really enjoy it very much. Just not a play style I want to play anymore, I guess, even though I can.
    I haven't grasped Ram either, but there are three, well actually with Dizzy it's four, characters who are considered bad in Xrd, and Ram isn't one of them. I've seen one person say that it's really hard to beat her pressure, but that was a comment on YouTube so who knows. I have no idea how to wield her remote swords since if an opponent attacks and you block, the sword won't swing.

But I mostly just play it with my friends relatively casually, and I keep trying to do standard combo chains with her when she doesn't have those. >_<

Ky and Sin are just way easier though.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-05-17 at 08:50 PM.
    My Steam profile

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't played very much (mostly Smash 4 at this point, although I've played all the Smash games by now), but currently I'm playing Revelator...well...kinda. I'd messed around with X2 Reload (thanks, GoG!), and when Rev came out, I bought it. So I've been slowly training my way, using the Guilty Gear Crash Course as a guide. I'm, uh, still working on internalizing the Episode 1 stuff, so I have a ways to go.

Been focusing on Ky, with an intent to maybe branch into Jack-O and Faust. (BTW, neat quiz I found that suggests mains to you. Apparently my suggested main is Ky, with Jack-O/Faust/Millia as runners-up...what?)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2017-05-17 at 10:22 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12

The worst I've seen Capcom say about the reboot was that it didn't meet their (absurdly high) sales expectations. Granted, they've given no indication that they want a sequel to it, but that doesn't tell us much.

I'd love to find out that an actual DMC5 was going to be a thing, but I don't have high hopes for it. I think it's more likely that the reboot not meeting Capcom's expectations has killed the franchise, at least for the foreseeable future.

Nero I'm kind of ambivalent on. Even in DMC4 a lot of his playstyle is basically a more limited version of Dante, and the main thing that sets him apart, the arm, is too reminiscent of Spencer, whom I figure will probably be back. I guess if they do things right they could make him fun and different from Dante, but he doesn't really interest me as-is.
    Well, considering it's been said that the X-Men Characters might not return because of licensing squabbles between Disney and FOX, it's likely some CAPCOM characters might not make a return from Marvel 3. If they remove Spencer in favor of Nero, I'm not against it. I've seen plenty of DMC4 Combo Videos and participated in some Vstyle Torunaments to know that while Nero's movest might not be the biggest, some people can still pull off impressive, flashy stuff on par with anything Dante players can make. I would like to see Dante in his DMC4 version, which would streamline some of his combo abilities, but still keep him a complex character.

As for DMC5, I just want some answers about certain plots, like whatever became of Sparda after he left Eva and the twins, what happened to Vergil after Mundus' defeat, or maybe a game with new protagonists to advance the plot forward. Dante's son getting his regards from Mundus(as Dante requested when he sent Mundus back to hell) would be nice.
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

I enjoy fighting games but have no desire to play online. Beating the CPU and the occasional IRL friend (when I can get one to play anything other than Smash) is enough for me.

I petition that we add indie entries like Divekick and One Finger Death Punch in here

(Okay, that second one is really a beat-em-up, but still.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Man, there is only one fighter where I enjoy fighting CPUs, and that's Arcana Heart 3's Trials. I still don't enjoy the CPU actually trying to win, but some of the Trial requirements encourage learning more about the game (though still not a substitute for a complete lack of tutorial in a game that otherwise has fantastic extra features for the PC port). I haven't tried M.O.M. in Guilty Gear Xrd.

I mean, I'll still play Story Mode because LORE and CHARACTER (sidenote: I am a massive Skullgirls lore nerd), but I think GGXrd had the right idea. And then Episode Mode in Revelator was kind of annoying.

The upcoming Them's Fightin' Herds seems to be developing a promising system. There are single-player-only enemies, one with a basic overhead, one with speed but unable to beat blocking, one with zoning but no close attacks. The full character AI has been/is being programmed to learn (and be conditioned), so we'll see if that ends up like Smash 4 amiibos.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-05-19 at 08:15 PM.
    My Steam profile

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... a friend of mine said he was ranked highly on 360, I think he was the #1 player? Played Parasoul/Filia, not sure if he had a third.
    I guarantee I was nowhere near that good. I mean, I played Ms. Fortune/Peacock, and couldn't use Ms. Fortune's head to save my soul nor combo basically at all with Peacock. I basically played Ms. Fortune because she seemed fun and Peacock for aesthetics (love how she's a throwback to classic cartoons - always used her black & white color pallet).

Ky and Sin are just way easier though.
    Yeah, they're among the most commonly played online I noticed. But unfortunately I don't find myself wanting to play either of them.

Having tried the demo for Rev 2 now, Baiken seems okay, but isn't really grabbing my interest a ton. And Answer I don't really like - he feels like a less interesting Chip (probably due to superficial ninja stuff being similar, but still), and Chip already wasn't high on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Been focusing on Ky, with an intent to maybe branch into Jack-O and Faust. (BTW, neat quiz I found that suggests mains to you. Apparently my suggested main is Ky, with Jack-O/Faust/Millia as runners-up...what?)
    Yeah, the issue I have with quizes like that is that I often have no good answers to a lot of their questions, because how I pick characters in fighting games doesn't really track with how other people do. It's really just a matter of which one feels best when I try them out, or something particular about them catching my attention. I've played everything from rushdown (X-23, Rise Kujikawa, Rashid, Makoto [SF4]) to zoning (Dormammu, Doctor Doom, R.O.B, Lambda-11), heavyweight brutes (King Dedede, Labrys, Ares), and middle-weight all-arounders (Platinum the Trinity, Dante, Vergil, Green Lantern, Sakura). About the only consistent playstyle thing is that I don't like grapplers - which in Guilty Gear mostly just crosses Potempkin off the list.

Oh, and I can't play charge characters, I just suck at actually employing those moves in an actual fight. Which has at times caused me to not play characters that would otherwise interest me, like Mitsuru in Persona Arena, Urien in SF5 - and actually, May in Guilty Gear.

For what it's worth, my best-faith effort at taking that quiz returned the following results:
    Top character: I-No
    Others you tied for: Slayer, Jam
    Close second: Millia

Which, well, I-No and Millia were among those that interested me a little more than the rest of the cast initially, but neither really clicked enough for me to stay with them. Slayer and Jam didn't even do that, though.

Well, considering it's been said that the X-Men Characters might not return because of licensing squabbles between Disney and FOX, it's likely some CAPCOM characters might not make a return from Marvel 3. If they remove Spencer in favor of Nero, I'm not against it. I've seen plenty of DMC4 Combo Videos and participated in some Vstyle Torunaments to know that while Nero's movest might not be the biggest, some people can still pull off impressive, flashy stuff on par with anything Dante players can make. I would like to see Dante in his DMC4 version, which would streamline some of his combo abilities, but still keep him a complex character.
    Oh, I'm sure Capcom will change up some of their characters, just for the heck of it. Spencer wouldn't be near the top of the list of characters I'd expect them to consider swapping out though. Sadly, I think near the top of that list will be Trish, who was one of my favorites in Marvel 3, and I worry that even Vergil may get the axe if they're really looking at DMC as a dead franchise at this point.

As for Dante, I'd be fine with getting his DMC4 look, but I want his moveset back as-is. Part of the fun of it is how ridiculously many moves he has - literally more than any other fighting game character in history. Besides, I like DMC3's weapons best out of the series anyway. Though if they wanted to add some DMC4 stuff to what he already has, I wouldn't complain about that.

As for DMC5, I just want some answers about certain plots, like whatever became of Sparda after he left Eva and the twins, what happened to Vergil after Mundus' defeat, or maybe a game with new protagonists to advance the plot forward. Dante's son getting his regards from Mundus(as Dante requested when he sent Mundus back to hell) would be nice.
    I can't say I really play DMC for the plot - but I do have an idea of what I'd like from DMC5 in terms of setup. Just pick up literally right where DMC2 left off. Yes, that game sucked, but it ended with Dante stranded in hell and riding off into it on a motorcycle, which is absolutely ridiculous and, in my opinion, totally the perfect setup for a Devil May Cry game. Heck, it would even allow them to easily re-introduce Vergil even though he died in DMC1 - because of course someone like him would be in hell after dying.

I don't want Capcom trying to replace Dante as the main character though, so if they made it Dante's son, that I wouldn't like at all. I would like if they followed up making Trish and Lady playable in the PS4 version of DMC4 with giving them playable parts in a DMC5 though. Especially Trish, she was a blast to play in DMC4.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-05-19 at 08:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Apologies for the double post, but interesting Marvel Infinite news: Marvel is doing a promotion for the game around when it comes out, where various comics of theirs will feature variant covers tying into the game. And there's a full list of the twenty that will be doing that, which could offer hints about playable characters.

So, the comics in question, and best guess as to the characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket, I Am Groot - Rocket Racoon and Groot are already known to be in (likely as a team or with Rocket playable with Groot showing up for some of his moves, given the brief glimpse we saw). Next most likely character is Starlord, easily. If there's a third, either Gamora or Drax would be the likely candidates, but they're more a stretch than Starlord.

Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man - Spider-Man is obvious despite not being announced yet, but there's multiple Spider-Man titles, so perhaps other Spider-Man characters will be in. In the video above Max speculates about Doc Oc, which seems like a decent choice to me.

Spider-Man & Deadpool - I really hope this means Deadpool gets to be in the base roster despite being a Fox character, and not that we'll get even more Spider-Man characters.

Champions - In the video Max says people are speculating this will be Ms. Marvel, but this is obviously a team book and I know nothing about the team in question, so I have no idea if there are other options here.

Defenders - Iron Fist or Daredevil, maybe Luke Cage. My money would be on Daredevil, given his Netflix series, though Max favored Iron Fist due to him being in Marvel 3.

Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Thanos, Venom - The title characters of course. Mostly not surprising, given the MCU, though Venom is a bit of a surprise.

Generations: Thor & Might Thor - Thor's obviously already confirmed, but the interesting thing here is that there's two Thor comics involved in the promotion. So perhaps a second Thor character - Loki would be an obvious choice.

Secret Empire - Captain America, according to Max. The cover he showed would make me think it's a team book and there were other options, but I really don't know.

Avengers - Max suggests Ultron is the one for this, I'd say it could also be Captain America. Not a telling one in any event.

Hawkeye, Invincible Iron Man, Generations: Hulk, The Mighty Captain Marvel - All obviously the title characters, all already known.

If all of that guesswork were correct, I'd be pretty happy about Starlord, Loki, Venom, and Deadpool potentially being in the base roster rather than DLC.

An interesting thought: could these twenty be the entire launch roster on the Marvel side? That's a possibility, I think - which would be a 18-20 characters per side (depending on the actual number of Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor characters) for a 36-40 total roster size, assuming they kept it even as in past games. Which tracks with where Marvel 3's roster was at launch or is slightly larger. Looking at the list as a whole, yeah, aside from the X-Men and Doom, whom we knew were likely to be an issue, there's nothing glaringly missing, it does include all of the known characters, and it would generally seem like a reasonable roster. Perhaps lacking a left-field pick ala M.O.D.O.K. or Shuma-Gorath, which Capcom usually seems to like to have one or two of, but eh, I could live with that. In that case, I would be disappointed to lose Dormammu, but eh, there's always DLC to get him back.

I mean, I'll still play Story Mode because LORE and CHARACTER (sidenote: I am a massive Skullgirls lore nerd), but I think GGXrd had the right idea. And then Episode Mode in Revelator was kind of annoying.
    I didn't play Revelator's story mode, so not sure about that one. I did play Xrd's, and honestly, while I definitely respect them not trying to force a bunch of fights into the mode just because it's a fighting game, I do dislike that they didn't even include them where it would make sense. I prefer their approach in recent BlazBlue titles - still have the fights, just don't force silly misunderstandings or minor confrontations nobody will care about to meet some frequency quota for them, the way many fighting game story modes do.

The upcoming Them's Fightin' Herds seems to be developing a promising system. There are single-player-only enemies, one with a basic overhead, one with speed but unable to beat blocking, one with zoning but no close attacks. The full character AI has been/is being programmed to learn (and be conditioned), so we'll see if that ends up like Smash 4 amiibos.
    That still exists? Huh, I haven't really heard anything about it since they were forced to switch it away from being a My Little Pony game. Well, good to hear it's showing some promise I suppose.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

So, for Marvel Infinite, there's been a very credible leak - coming from one of the people who leaked the game's existence and a few details about it before its initial announcement - of the game's starting roster, minus only one character. And it's... kind of bland, honestly. And a little on the small side, at only 28 characters on the starting roster, 14 per side, which is 8 short of where Marvel 3 started and around half the size of its final roster.

The Marvel side is basically the MCU, but with fairly few choices that are even interesting there. Oddly enough Gamora is in as a second Guardians character, but no Starlord. The one and only non-MCU character is Nova, returning from MvC3. And yet the MCU character I most wanted to see, Loki, is absent - the only villains are Ultron and Thanos. Yeah...

The Capcom side is a lot of returning MvC3 veterans, but with some odd choices in both who is in and who isn't. There's both Arthur and Firebrand from Ghosts & Goblins, for instance, but no Zero, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, or Vergil. Nor Felicia, whom I just sort of assumed came as a package deal with Morrigan in any Capcom vs game - instead they're including a different Darkstalkers character, Jedah. Also, very strange in my mind, no additional Street Fighter characters beyond Ryu and Chun-Li. One positive note is that the leaker doesn't know one of the characters on Capcom's side - though he says he suspects it's Frank West...

In general, it's a lot of Marvel 3 characters, with only a tiny handful of actual newcomers. I mean, the full list of newcomers is:
    Capcom:
    Mega Man X
    Jedah
    Monster Hunter

Marvel:
    Ant-Man
    Captain Marvel
    Gamora
    Rocket & Groot (Unclear how new this is though - could just be Marvel 3 Rocket Raccoon with some new moves involving Groot)
    Thanos (Debatable, since he was in pre-MvC3 titles, and they could reuse his moveset from there. I'm hoping he gets a new one though.)
    Ultron

That's... not much. And honestly, they cut most of my favorites from Marvel 3: Dormammu, Vergil, Trish, Zero, some of the Fox characters - basically the only returning character I liked much in Marvel 3 is Dante. Assuming he is returning Dante, not reboot Dante, which I really hope at this point. This is pretty disappointing even if he is, much less if he isn't. As-is, I'll I have to try all the new characters to find someone to pair with Dante for my team; if I don't even have Dante, though, I really don't know what I'll do.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-05-31 at 07:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It has been some years since I played fighting games for any length of time. Since none of my friends were into them, it was either play online against (toxic) randoms, or stick to single player content. Single player content got old, so I mostly moved on.

I used to enjoy the Tekken games, but I discovered that I apparently do not play them like normal Tekken players do. I have no interest in juggle combos, which to me break verisimilitude and therefore kill my interest in the game. To me, the appeal of fighting games is having a fantastic martial arts duel that, while not realistic exactly, at least bears some resemblance to the kind of fight you'd see in a martial arts film or at least anime. Air juggle combos don't give me that feeling, so I didn't use them, which means that I basically wasn't playing Tekken "correctly." Between that and the stupidly hard bosses (single player, remember), I eventually got burned out on the series.

I used to play some Soul Calibur too, but I was not especially good at it. I could do pretty well as Xianghua, and in SC2 I was pretty good with Ivy, but she seemed to change too much in later games and I lost whatever skill with her I had once had.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, here's something for the "did not see that coming" category: ArcSystem Works, the guys behind BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and Persona Arena, have announced a new fighting game, and it's a Dragon Ball Z one. It will have the visual style of Guilty Gear Xrd and 3 vs 3 teams, and being and ArcSys game will almost certainly be extremely fast-paced.

So basically, we're getting a cross between Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom, with Dragon Ball Z characters. I haven't even been into DBZ in over a decade, and that still sounds awesome to me . And since it's ArcSys, there will probably be a huge, cheesy-as-hell story mode, too.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

So what do you all think of Injustice 2 Wifigate?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So what do you all think of Injustice 2 Wifigate?
    Huh, hadn't heard about that. Sounds good to me - anything that might help with finding good connections is a boon when playing fighting games online, since lag is one of the biggest fun-killers out there. Especially since the general "connection strength" indicators fighting games tend to use have always been pretty unreliable, in my experience.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

For lobbies? Sure. Make sure they have it for online tournaments or long training sets.

For randoms? Uhh... this wouldn't actually tell me who just has slight input delay, which is still playable, and who has an actually bad connection with stuttering or rollback (I've played green ping people who just have awful connections). It's being picky at a level that matters a lot less for randoms than another issue. I mean, if it's wired it probably won't be stuttery anyway, but that's like burning your lawn to get rid of dandelions (I'm ignoring that it might not get the roots >_>).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-06-09 at 08:36 PM.
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #23

Okay, here's something for the "did not see that coming" category: ArcSystem Works, the guys behind BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and Persona Arena, have announced a new fighting game, and it's a Dragon Ball Z one. It will have the visual style of Guilty Gear Xrd and 3 vs 3 teams, and being and ArcSys game will almost certainly be extremely fast-paced.

So basically, we're getting a cross between Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom, with Dragon Ball Z characters. I haven't even been into DBZ in over a decade, and that still sounds awesome to me . And since it's ArcSys, there will probably be a huge, cheesy-as-hell story mode, too.
    I'm hype for this game, since I stopped playing Dragon Ball after Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

The only fighting game I've ever liked is Super Smash Bros.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

So, do you want a recommendation, or are you here to just say you like Sakurai's party game which he and Nintendo refuse to officially support competition for?

Oh yeah, Nintendo made a Twitter account called Nintendo VS for Pokken, Splatoon, and... ARMS. And one bright red square with nothing in it. Yep.

Anyway, looks like the sixth fighter in the DBF trailer is Gohan, no surprises there. Add Gohan's wife pls
    My Steam profile

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

So, Dragon Ball Fighter Z got a gameplay trailer, and it looks just as sick as I'd hoped. Goddamn ArcSys does good work.

So, do you want a recommendation, or are you here to just say you like Sakurai's party game which he and Nintendo refuse to officially support competition for?
    Smash is very much a fighting game. And what are you talking about "refuse to support competition for?" Nintendo's been an Evo sponsor for the past couple of years at least IIRC. And weren't they briefly running their own tournaments back around when Smash 4 released?

Anyway, looks like the sixth fighter in the DBF trailer is Gohan, no surprises there. Add Gohan's wife pls
    That is the one thing you might not want to get your hopes up about too much with Dragon Ball Fighter Z: the roster, particularly its size. The first games in ArcSys' series tend have smaller rosters than other companies' fighting games - BlazBlue started with 12 in Calamity Trigger, Persona 4 Arena had 13, and Guilty Gear Xrd Sign had 15 before DLC. While I never played them, my understanding is that the existing Dragon Ball fighting games tended to have pretty darn large rosters, including minor characters and multiple versions of major characters, which may well not be the case with this one.

Granted though, ArcSys has never done a team fighter before, and that does seem as though it's a format that would want a larger roster than they've typically started with, so maybe this one will be larger than their other series out of the gate. Still wouldn't bet on it being as large as some people might assume, if they base it on the rosters of other DBZ fighters, though.

(Personally though, they've got Vegeta in there already, so I'm already set on characters. Give me him and whichever two wind up feeling like the most fun to play as his teammates and I'm good. )

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, sure? It has attack, block to beat attack, grab to beat block, dodge to beat grab but punishable if predicted.

But the game has two completely different audiences; those who don't actually understand it beyond basic controls but call it a fighting game anyway, even though they're playing it as a party game, and those who are actually kinda good at it and could go into other fighting games if they tried.

And while it does have an interesting core loop, there are characters who are clearly designed around a theme without actual consideration for their balance, even in Smash 4, "the balanced one."
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-06-11 at 09:32 PM.
    My Steam profile

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

So, since Injustice 2 doesn't seem to be coming to PC soon, I'm thinking of scratching the old fighting game itch witl MKX. The thing is, I remember from a while back that the PC was horrible on launch. Is it any better now? And is the online scene alive?

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

No idea about the online mode of MK X (XL?), because the PC version is still as unplayable as ever.
    Source: I couldn't run this game storymode in a frigging alienware 17 R4 without getting some nasty audio bugs and framerate drops from the get go. So yeah, I would recommend you to look elsewhere to get your fix. Like MK IX, any of the The King of Fighters games, or the new Tekken 7.
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oh boy, time to check "Smash isn't really a fighting game" off of the bingo card.

(Thought the FGC had grown out of that one, but I guess not entirely.)

DBZ + ArcSys is pretty ace, and hopefully this brings new attention to the rest of ArcSys' anime fighters! They certainly deserve the love.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.