New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help me brainstorm: Why might a Good fertility deity smile upon homosexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    ...who do women pray to when they don't want a child?

I'd guess Tyche.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Help me brainstorm: Why might a Good fertility deity smile upon homosexuality?

Well, how broad is her portfolio?

I mean, the good points previously raised about not caring being default nonwithstanding, I can see how you might want to address the implied connection between fertility and couples capable of producing children -- and it's always nice to have an answer in case a player feels the need to ask. In which case, the relevant dogma might point out that optimizing the number of births over the expected duration of the biosphere would necessarily entail optimizing the chance that any given kid will survive to reproductive age, and their children and so on; the optimal number of children at any one time is almost certainly less than the maximum number of children that all fertile people can produce anyway. Between adoption and just being a contributing member of society, it's totally possible for an individual to contribute significantly to the local carrying capacity without themselves having children. The same logic would include people anatomically or genetically incapable of reproducing -- some of whom would likely have some interest in a goddess of fertility.

Thus you could have her church's official stance be that it takes a village to raise a child and all contributions to that process are valued. This might involve adoption. It might be education. It might be pediatric chirurgery. There are a lot of ways for someone to lower the cost of having children and maximize the chance that those kids grow up to perpetuate the process, any of which would logically be blessed in Dalya's eyes.

I'm not saying that she needs to push people to do these things, of course -- only that, should someone who for whatever reason cannot have children show up at the temple door one day to ask if they have a place, there is a sound, logical way to answer in the affirmative.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd focus on her community aspect. Presumably as a good aligned goddess, she's not terribly into the whole idea of women staying home and cranking out babies until they drop. But that's how you'd get the most babies, if you didn't care for anyone's welfare in the process.

Focus on her being a goddess of family, and promoting large, extended families that have close knit ties. The focus isn't on the production of as many children as possible, but large, welcoming families that love and accept the children they are blessed with. Any child-free people would be expected to aid their family. A woman who decided never to marry or have children but spent her life healing and aiding her family is held in higher esteem then the one who popped out 12 children and didn't take care of them. Forcing people who have no interest in children to have them will just result in misery and resentment.

Given how...Well, dull farming can be, you could say that homosexual male couples might just adopt children from accidental pregnancies especially if the couple is in no condition to take care of them on their own, even if the young couple in question retains their status as the mother and father of the children. If the couples are related, this might even be the norm as the entire family pitches in to take care of all children.

Half-orc or tiefling children might be another source of adoption for all couples, given this is a good aligned goddess and those children run a high risk of becoming abandoned for whatever reason. Would be somewhat amusing if communities devoted to this goddess weren't pure human due to a tendency to adopt unwanted children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'd guess Tyche.
    Or Apollo
    A popular (and now extinct because of its popularity) birth control herb was seen as a gift by him
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    Or Apollo
    If I was a woman praying not to get pregnant, I don't think Sir Rapes-A-Lot would be high on that list.

A popular (and now extinct because of its popularity) birth control herb was seen as a gift by him
    It was a type of fennel, and associated in many places with Dionysus, actually. The thrysus that he carries is often a fennel stalk for this reason. And it wasn't birth control, but an abortifacient.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-06-02 at 03:44 PM.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    ...Half-orc or tiefling children might be another source of adoption for all couples, given this is a good aligned goddess and those children run a high risk of becoming abandoned for whatever reason....

That's some good worldbuilding.

I can imagine a clever/cruel DM planting "village of monsters" rumors, and then pulling an The Eternal Champion switcheroo.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

If I was a woman praying not to get pregnant, I don't think Sir Rapes-A-Lot would be high on that list.
    I believe that's actually an epithet of his father's.

It was a type of fennel, and associated in many places with Dionysus, actually. The thrysus that he carries is often a fennel stalk for this reason. And it wasn't birth control, but an abortifacient.
    As to why Apollo: his role as a god of medicine, poison and herbs probably had to do with his association with the plant and its effects.
    Also him and Diana were seen as protectors of pregnant women because of their mother's trials at the hands of Hera.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    That's some good worldbuilding.

I can imagine a clever/cruel DM planting "village of monsters" rumors, and then pulling an The Eternal Champion switcheroo.

Even most murderhobos aren't going to want to go to the trouble of hunting down and killing every single PHB race individual in the setting. After all, if they kill everyone, there won't be anyone to kill and loot in the next dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Even most murderhobos aren't going to want to go to the trouble of hunting down and killing every single PHB race individual in the setting. After all, if they kill everyone, there won't be anyone to kill and loot in the next dungeon.
    Maybe not PHB races, but drow might direct an elven murderhobo away from a dungeon for a spell. If this village is centered around an ancient shrine with rumors of artifacts, they'd kill their own race to get it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe not PHB races, but drow might direct an elven murderhobo away from a dungeon for a spell. If this village is centered around an ancient shrine with rumors of artifacts, they'd kill their own race to get it.
    Eh, a Drow genocide would legitimately improve pretty much any setting where they're present.

Funnily enough there's not nearly as much of a push to suggest that Duergar or Illithid are redeemable, probably because they aren't hot.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Eh, a Drow genocide would legitimately improve pretty much any setting where they're present.

Funnily enough there's not nearly as much of a push to suggest that Duergar or Illithid are redeemable, probably because they aren't hot.
    I mean.... Tentacles are a thing in some parts of the internet. It's less common than elf fetish, but it DOES happen.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    I mean.... Tentacles are a thing in some parts of the internet. It's less common than elf fetish, but it DOES happen.
    There's a redeemed Illie in the BoED

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a redeemed Illie in the BoED
    This requires treating the Book of Exalted Deeds as a good thing. Or even reading it.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This requires treating the Book of Exalted Deeds as a good thing. Or even reading it.
    I mean.... Ambrosia farming, the druids beloved exalted wildshape, and sanctified spells for anyone who's interested ALL come from there.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    I mean.... Ambrosia farming, the druids beloved exalted wildshape, and sanctified spells for anyone who's interested ALL come from there.
    Ah, the Book of Mangled Alignment Understanding.... Always a pleasure to see it mentioned in a serious way.

@Malimar:

I think itīs best to reassemble the cookie again and go back to the drawing board.

At the moment, Holy St. Uterus is neither a racial patron, doesnīt have sole dominion over her portfolio, lacks love, bed fun and family in return. That gives of an eerily unfinished vibe.
    Either make her the TN goddess of fertility for all races, no exceptions. Or reshape her to be more of a racial goddess for your Mongrelfolk, emphasizing sex and fun more.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

How about an illithid who drew the Balance card or put on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, then? As long as they're kept away from the Elder Brain's telepathic control, I don't see why their alignment would change back.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!