New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Skulls and Shackles pt 1: The Wormwood Mutiny (IC)

Alistair Notelgamore, esq.

"I agree. Building a powerbase, so to speak, should be our main priority right now." Alistair agreed.
    Even as he said it, it felt weird how fast it had come to an 'us'. However, it was only natural - they were, after all, quite literally all in the same boat. Also, Alistair, by his nature, felt better within a group.
    Even though it was unlikely someone would listen in, he lowered his voice a bit further.
    "Although, if I may be so bold, Sandara - what is your endgame, here? Mutiny? Escape?"
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Sandara smirks, "I'm a pirate through and through, navy man. I may not want to be sailing under these men but my whole life has been lived before the mast and under the proper colors. Can't go changing now." Sandara pulls out a pipe and begins packing leaf into it. "I'm not sure just what I'm gonna do, but like I said, for now I just want to see the next full moon."

3. - Top - End - #63

He wasn't sure he believed her, but he still returned her smirk with one of his own after that. "I see. Well, black and red or black and white, when beating Andorans black and blue we're all the same, I suppose. Surviving to the next full moon sounds great, for a start."

4. - Top - End - #64

SwashbucklerGuy

Grayson Wilkes

His piece said, Grayson let's the conversion go on without him. Trying to take in all aspects of characters around him without presenting too much of himself. At the mention of feeding Plugg and Scourge to the sharks, his teeth ground together with anger? Hunger? He couldn't tell.

He worried that Anika was going in over her head and resolved to double check with her that the kitchen was truly safe before doing anything dangerous. The blustering from Black didn't impress him, he had seen it done before, and done better. Alistair seemed to have a good handle on the situation. And the other three, Grayson still didn't know their names, kept their mouths shut, something that kept Grayson on edge even more than planning a mutiny.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Sandara glances around and shrugs taking a pull on her pipe. "Well, guess we've got an accord. I'll see you lot around the ship, and I'll be watching your backs." The dim orange light from the pipe casts her face in sharp shadows.

The night ends with nearly a score of drunken sailors staggering down to the lower hold and fumbling with their hammocks in threes and fours. Most of the sailors are much friendlier in this state and throw arms around their new crew mates showing them where spare hammocks are kept and how to string them between the pillars and the hull. A pair of surly drunks sneer at the rest of the hands, especially the rookies, and take their hammocks towards the forward section of the hold behind the stairwell. The others make obscene hand gestures and noises at them.

For some the night passes restfully, others stay up until the wee hours and get little sleep. The rocking of the waves is familiar and soothing to some, but others are not so comfortable with the ocean and awake to a slight queasiness that passes quickly. As the lip of the sun breaks over the water the loud constant clamoring of a bell rouses everybody from their racks. As pirates rush to don boots and hats and get up on deck the two mean drunks from the night before gather another pair of their friends and position themselves between the stairs and the new recruits.

The group looks tough and like they mean business. Punching fists into open palms they let all but the new recruits past. "Got somewhere to be pretties?" one of them cackles.

"We gunna knock youse down a peg. Gotta learn you dat newbies go to da bottom, unda our boots."

6. - Top - End - #66

SwashbucklerGuy

Grayson Wilkes

Grayson groggily gets up from bed, pulling the knife Sandara had given him from underneath him and tucking it into the small of his back under his pants. As he rises he stumbles slightly from the pain of his peg leg hitting the floor. He waited for it to die down like normal, only the pain wouldn't stop, what is it this time? He finds his footing and goes to head upstairs when a group of thugs stop him and his coconspirators.

He sizes the foes blocking his way. The thought of pummeling them to the point no one could recognise them seemed very pleasant, and he could feel the monster urging him to do so. His hand was stayed though by the idea that it would probably get him in trouble with the officers, so he decides to see just how brave their antagonizers actually were.

Grayson steps in front of the child in a protective stance, a cold look on his face. As he moves he passes the dagger Sandara had given him to Alistair.

"I've had a trying day being followed by a sleepless night, I'm in no mood for your childish games. So I'm going to cut to the chase, get out of our way, or I will beat you so hard Besmara will mistake you for one of her monsters and flay you for leaving the ocean."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    sleight of hand to pass the dagger (1d20+2)[20]

intimidate (1d20+4)[12] depending how long the charisma bonus from the grog lasts, add 2 to that roll
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2017-05-25 at 06:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

The pair of thugs that are flanking the two leaders glance between their supposed victims and their allies. "Maybe this ain't such a good idea," the one on the left mumbles.

"Ya, there's more o' them den us," the one on the right jumps in.

"Shuddap youse morons! We're bigger'n um. Plus we gots our orders." One of the pirates walks up to Grayson, "I'll give you da first shot," he says smugly throwing out his chin and slapping his cheek. "Lay one on me."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The effects of the grog have worn off by now, fatigue and bonuses.

Two of your opponents are shaken, but they are still blocking your path.

No one seemed to notice your hand off.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-05-25 at 06:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Anika

Scrambling to her feet to attend her duties she stops up short when the thugs block the path. Her fatigue making her cranky she decides she wants none of this, and when Mr. Grayson steps up and growls at them she decides to play too. Clutching Dolly firmly she waves her hand a little and invokes some of her power.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Invoking Haunted Fey Aspect, designating the fellow who's leading them as her target for the DR, Then attempting intimidate as well by seeming to be a mad creature. (1d20+3)[18]

She starts shrieking in her most terrifying scream, "GET OUT OF THE WAY, WE'RE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH MORTALS" While Dolly adds, "Flense the Flesh from their bones!" Her form wavers and dances like some sort of nightmarish creature as she advances slowly, hand clenched into a fist and Dolly shaking as its held against her with the stump.
    Last edited by Ravenica; 2017-05-25 at 06:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gale stares back unflinchingly at the bully band, not intimidated in the least. The folks on this boat are quite rude - it's no way to run a ship, pirates or not; in her opinion, reward is usually a better motivator than punishment in these parts. She's ready to crack some skulls, but the others seem to have it well in hand, so she sits back and just watches for now.

Show
    heh, Gale still hasn't used her speech yet. "What's up with that, puppetmaster?" There we go.

10. - Top - End - #70

Beniel

Beniel shook his head as his new friends tried to talk down the pirate thugs. He's all for talking, but sometimes you just gotta leave the words behind and deck a man who won't get out of your way. He stepped up next to Grayson to face the pirate barring their path. "Oho, it's a brawl you want? It's been too long since I got my fists bloodied. If'n were goin' to do this, then let's get on with it already." With those remarks, he threw a punch at the pirate who challenged Grayson.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8] nonlethal

Of course - max damage with nearly a natural one on the attack to waste it.
    Last edited by Nomrom; 2017-05-25 at 09:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Beniel's swing passes right through the air where the man's face was moments before. Unfortunately, for Beniel's pride more than anything else, the man was so horrified by Anika's display that he had fallen clean over. Amid terrified, and rather girlish, shrieks of "Demon!" "Monster!" and "Run for your lives!" the four pirates turn and flee, tripping over each other and the stairs in the process. The heavy thuds of their boots can be heard all the way to the main deck.

Show
    Conflict averted but the party can never attempt to influence those pirates.

Heading up the stairs all but Anika see the four sailors blubbering before Master Scourge who cracks his whip and orders them into line with the rest. Glaring daggers at the recruits he sentences the four sailors to three lashes each for lies and cowardice, not realizing the contradictory nature of those "crimes." Really, there is little else he can do, he's not about to entertain the idea that the new cook's mate is possessed.

"A'right ye dogs! Listen up for the day's assignments!" Scourge begins barking order as the anchor is weighed and the sails are unfurled. "Navy boy, move those coils up to the fore! Scarface, go tell Grok we need nails and timber. Ratcatcher, these decks are filthy. Stumpy, tie off those lines. Frogman, go see if your tongue is as good for catching rats as it is at spinning yarns."

Spoiler: Alistair
    Show
    Profession Sailor DC 10 or Strength DC 10

Spoiler: Salazar
    Show
    Acrobatics DC 10 and Constitution DC 10. Also running around the ship you have the opportunity to pick up an avian familiar (Dodo, Parrot, Thrush)

Spoiler: Thellan
    Show
    Strength DC 10 or Constitution DC 10

Spoiler: Grayson
    Show
    Profession Sailor DC 10 or Strength DC 10

Spoiler: Beniel
    Show
    Stealth DC 10 or Survival DC 10 or Dexterity DC 10

Mr. Plugg similarly begins barking orders to his riggers. "Pinkie, you're on lookout, get your ass up there."

Spoiler: Gale
    Show
    60 ft. climb followed by Perception DC 10

In the galley Anika finds a bleary eyed Fishguts chopping vegetables for the night's stew. "Run those biscuits up to the crew," he says pointing with a knife at a basket of hardtack. "And when you're done come get this rod and go catch us the fish for this soup."

Spoiler: Anika
    Show
    Profession Fisherman DC 10 or Survival DC 10
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-05-25 at 09:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

NecromancerGirl

Anika

Grinning as they flee she dismisses the glamour then turns to the others and dimples, "Ok, not everyone likes me, but the people that don't learn to leave me alone." Dolly whispers, "They should not be mean to little girls."

As she delivers the biscuits she makes sure to give the sailors who tried to torment them each a innocent little grin.

As she carries the pole on deck she frowns, not accustomed to these tasks she vows to pay extra careful attention to her tasks today. Being cranky was spoiling her mood and she didn't want to get sneaking around anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[7] untrained survival with +4 for diligence

As the day goes on and she finds herself losing fish after fish she starts getting worried.
    Last edited by Ravenica; 2017-05-25 at 10:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Aye, sir!" Gale takes her time getting up to the top, at least compared to the race. Once on top, she spends about as much time looking out over the horizon as studying the ship's sails and layout, and also looking for any useful unattended objects that she could possibly pilfer on her way back at the end of the day.

Show
    climb checks (7.5 ft each):
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[20]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[25]
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[9]

perception (lookout): (1d20+9)[12]
    perception (sneak): (1d20+9)[29]
    Last edited by theasl; 2017-05-25 at 10:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying to avoid further floggings, Salazar jumps to find Grok and deliver the message. "Scourge says we need nails and timber, Grok. And I'm needing my gear, if you please. There's potent magic in there that could curse the whole ship,
    if handled incorrectly." Sal looks concerned, but continues, "I need it to craft a charm to protect us from storms, and it won't work without the things in my pack." He grins up at her, trying to appear earnest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Acrobatics Take 10 (16)

Constitution (7 was the previous roll)

Finally, Sal will attempt to influence Grok.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2017-05-26 at 10:36 AM. Reason: didn't remember that editing messed up my roll, but it is a 7.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

As the sun passes it's apex, Sal realizes he is behind on today's assignment. Fearful of what another evening at the mast might do to him, he redoubles his efforts to clean the deck.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Working Diligently in the afternoon.

Acrobatics Take 10 = (16)

Constitution [roll]1d20+2+4[/roll]

As Sal works through the afternoon, he notices a little thrush flitting around.
    Whistling to it, he holds out his hand, and is amazed when the tiny brown bird lands on his palm.

Show
    Taking the thrush familiar.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Alistair had shown no outward reaction when Grayson had subtly given him the dagger. He appreciated the gesture, though, and he would not hesitate to use it, if it came to the worst.
    He wouldn't let it come that far, though, if he could at all prevent it.
    "We do, don-" Alistair had just begun to try to talk the thugs down, when a rather peculiar transformation happened to the little girl.
    Instinctively, he backed away, staring wide-eyed at her, only half-heartedly nodding when she adressed the group after the thugs had fled. A sorceress? The child sorcerers in Chelish society had always seemed fairly creepy to him as well, and who knew how they were if they weren't educated the right way? Like this, apparently.

Back on deck, they were given their daily tasks, just as yesterday - this time, Alistair was supposed to move coils of rope around on deck, a work that didn't seem too difficult.
    The former-Lieutenant-now-swab immediately got to work, giving a friendly nod to whomever was assigned to this duty alongside him.

As he worked, he came across Tilly Brackett, who he had seen yesterday running messages - she had seemed quite the joker, so he thought he might get on her good side with a little joke of his own.

"Hey Brackett, do you know this one?" He asked, stopping next to her, eyebrows raised and twirling his mustache.
    "A great and very rich pirate captain wants to reward the three men who had fought best in the last few boarding actions. So he calls them before him, every last one of them tall and broad-shouldered, and, impressed by their stature, he tells them he will measure them in whatever way they choose, and he will give them the inches in gold coins.

The first steps forward, asking to be measured from the tips of his toes to the parrot on his hat, the captain does so and the man gets his gold. The second asks to be measured from his boots to his outstreched arm, the captain does so, and the man gets his gold.

When the captain comes to the third, he asks to be measured from the tip of his sword to the pommel of his sword. The captain is astonished, but agrees, and orders him to drop his breeches.

The pirate does so, and seeing the situation, the captain, flabbergasted, asks him: 'By Besmara, man, where is your pommel?!' To which the pirate replies 'On deck of the Andoran frigate below the fever sea, Captain!'"

Show

Going to take ten again on my Profession (Sailor).

Also trying to influence Tilly Brackett via diplomacy:
    (1d20+9)[15]

17. - Top - End - #77

SwashbucklerGuy

Grayson Wilkes

A low growl escapes Grayson's lips as the thugs run away, realizing he was angry at the missed opportunity to let the monster out. He looks down at little Anika, and does his best to smile at the child. He places a hand on her shoulder and says "Well done" before heading up.

The pain in his leg didn't leave though, and when Scourge started calling assignments, his body tightened with anticipation and the monster was pressing right up against him.

"That's cute Scourge, you came up with nicknames for all of us." he speaks with a low growl, whether it was him or the monster talking he had no idea. "We are not friends though so you can keep calling me by my name, Grayson Wilkes."

Show
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2017-05-26 at 01:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Anika sits amidships all morning casting her line over the side only to have it snap or go slack or anyone of a dozen other catastrophes that end with her having a tiny basket of undersized fish at high noon. She takes the meager haul down to Fishguts who runs a hand over the loose sagging flesh of his face. "Uh-oh, girl, we're in for it now. Why didn't you tell me you couldn't fish?" He begins to bustle around the room muttering to himself while collecting up the utensils he will need to clean the half dozen or so fish. "Can't add a chicken, folks'll notice. Maybe if thar's just more vegetables." Fishguts begins to sweat in a way that has nothing to do with the heat of the kitchen. Plunking a cutting board on the floor and passing Anika a knife and some turnips he says, "Chop, lass. We may get out of this pinch yet."

From her position in the crow's nest and with nothing much to do Gale has a unique perspective on the poop deck. While keeping an eye open for sails or reefs she can also spy on Harrigan, Plugg, and a female officer. The captain mans the helm while the woman appears to be showing the first mate how to operate a pistol and several gunshots make the whole crew jump over the course of the day as the officer trains with the exotic weapon. It would appear that Harrigan has over a dozen of them and intends for his officers to wield them in boarding actions.

Salazar is kept busy the whole day running back and forth trying to keep up with the needs of all of the officers. He learns of an arcane laboratory in one of the small private cabins attached to the officer's quarters and he gets alittle more acquainted with the "stitchman" than he really wanted to. As he tries to persuade Grok to return his stuff he sees that his lie gives her pause for a moment but in the end she shakes her head "What was yours is now da capt'n's booty, and you wouldn't want ta be stealin' from tha capt'n now would ya?"

Alistair's joke causes Tilly to double over with laughter. After being shouted at by Scourge for slacking off she gets back to work but when Alistair is next within earshot she whispers, "You're alright, Navy."

Spoiler: Tilly Influence Check Results
    Show
    Tilly is now friendly towards Alistair.

A twinge of fear flickers across Scourge's face as Grayson menaces him. "You can't talk to me like that! I'll call you what I please, St-stumpy!" the boatswain attempts a show of pirate-ly bravado but his voice cracks as he tries to muster up the courage to insult Grayson a second time. He lashes at his challenger with his whip in frustration.

Spoiler: Combat Rolls
    Show
    To Hit: (1d20+6)[18]; Crit Confirmation: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d3+2)[3] Nonlethal; Crit Damage: (1d3+2)[5]

The whip strikes Grayson in the face and Scourge's courage seems to be bolstered. "To work, maggot!" he shouts

Thellan and Beniel both keep their heads down and go straight to work. Thellan labors all day with a bucket and a holystone as Scourge does his best to walk through his working area and berate him for the marks left by the officer's rather poorly kept boots. Beniel spends the day chasing rats and cockroaches of rather alarming size through the holds. The little bastards seem nigh endless.

Spoiler: Thellan and Beniel Work Diligently
    Show
    Thellan Strength: (1d20+5)[13]
    Beniel Dexterity: (1d20+5)[19]

The two are able to complete their chores without incident, despite the fact that Scourge generally belittles their efforts at every turn.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-05-26 at 08:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

As the day drags on the seemingly endless seas pass away around the ship. Finally the sun touches the water and the call to drop anchor goes out. As on the previous day, punishments are meted out before the evening meal. It would appear that more sailors took their duties seriously this time and far fewer punishments are necessary. However there is an uproar on deck shortly after the soup is served by a hammered Fishguts and his mate.

"Never been fed like a sea rabbit before!" one angry sailor shouts. "'ow we 'sposed ta live on broth 'nd turnips!" another demands.

Mr. Plugg gets in Fishgut's face. "I saw that worthless girl o' yours up here losing fish after bloody fish. Maybe if she's no good in the kitchen she can practice her fishin' in the bilges tomorrow!" he says with a snarl giving the cook a hard shove in the chest.

Fishguts has a stupid drunken look on his face. "But, she's my mate. I give her orders," he mumbles, unable to look Plugg in the eye.

"Not if you can't make her work. Then she's mine!" The first mate stomps off shouting at the pirates to eat the food and be happy they have anything in their bellies at all. There is a general grumbling, but food is food and the crew is hungry.

After the meal, Grok brings up the rum again and begins passing it out.

Show
    Commence Nighttime Activities
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-05-26 at 11:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

SwashbucklerGuy

Grayson brings his hand to where the whip struck him, a fierce grin spreading across his face. He takes a menacing step forward, the monster yelling inside, but he stops, calming the monster within with the knowledge that one day their mutiny would be fulfilled and Scourge would grovel under his peg leg.

"That's better Scourge, you just forget this maggot, and this maggot will scuttle away without sending someone to Besmara's arms."

He strides away, offering his back wide to another attack, knowing that none would come. He goes off to his work and focuses on the task at hand, figuring he had caused enough trouble as it was.

Show
    strength check (1d20+7)[24]

At the sound of Plugg's displeasure with Anika's fishing, Grayson begins to rise, but at Fishguts words he takes a seat glad to see the man was trying to take care of her. He eats quietly and thanks Grok warmly for the grog, "One day Grok, that wine will be a good chaser to the uncultured life we have here."

Having little interest in the conversations of the crew, he instead finds Salazar, who he had heard was working with wood and such during the day. If there was some left over he could get to work on those stakes, if this morning was any indication, a weapon was going to be very important in the coming times. When he gets a chance he pulls Black aside and inquires about any remaining bits of lumber.
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2017-05-26 at 10:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As she watches the officers messing around with the pistol, Gale alternates between envy and comfort. The occasional whiff of powder and bang put her at ease, though she's reminded of her poor, lonely musket - thankfully it's still on board and not dumped anywhere, if Sandara's right. Gale has never used a pistol before, so she probably wouldn't be of much use if she got her hands on one in a fight, though. She does have to wonder, though - the Crimson Tide's guns cost them a small fortune; where did these hacks get theirs if they couldn't even afford to hire some proper sailors? They're so shorthanded that they had to abduct a little girl! Well, they are pirates after all, maybe they seized them from someone else who didn't know how to use them properly.

Feeling a bit more chatty tonight after the daily drink, Gale once again takes to the rigging - she chats briefly with Ratline again, then spots another rigger - a woman who doesn't seem to be wearing any shoes. Why could that be - the crew didn't have any the right size? they make her uncomfortable? Gale curiously approaches and, quite out of character from the rum, asks brazenly about her bare feet.

Show
    if we're doing the same checks:
    con damage (1d3)[2]
    fatigued time (1d8)[2]
    cha bonus (1d4)[4]
    fort save (1d20+4)[6] - 1 for con damage = 5

diplo roll (22/nat 20) in ooc (assuming the same people are up there; this could probably be used later in the convo if it wouldn't make sense here)
    Last edited by theasl; 2017-05-27 at 12:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Alistair was impressed by Grayson standing up to Mr Scourge. That took guts, and the Lieutenant respected that - especially since the pirate was cowed by his words, which was almost funny. Even though he wisely didn't comment directly, he made sure to give the man an approving nod once he was sure Scourge wouldn't notice.

After the work of the day was done, Alistair, put in a good mood by his success with Tilly, didn't complain at all when he noticed the food was more vegetable than fish. He was a bit concerned when Mr. Plugg got involved, fearing the little girl would get whipped, but luckily, even Plugg wasn't that monstrous.

He took his time in repeating the manoeuvre of yesterday, still being not too keen on drinking pirate poison.

Spoiler: action
    Show

Taking 10 on disposing of the rum today, for a total of 17.

As the evening entertainment began, Alistair, after making sure he was in a good position so Grok could see and hear him, rose from the bench, put one foot on it, put his left arm behind his back and, accentuating the story with sweeping gestures by his right arm, began reciting a ballad, of which Chelish culture had no shortage.

"Due to popular demand, I will now recite 'Guarding the broken gate'." he began, omitting that "popular demand" was Grok, and even that only indirectly. He made sure to exaggerate his gestures and speech a bit, as to seem comical, as he was more likely to get the pirate's attention that way.

"The gate had been broken
    and they left as a token
    a warrior guarding the gate.
    He knew he was lost,
    but the war it was just
    so he slowly accepted his fate.
    Just a spear in his hand
    he took to his stand
    guarding the broken gate."

His recitation grew more serious in time, once he had their attention, he could keep it with the fight scenes that followed. He executed some fencing tricks with his hand while narrating about the different and increasingly dangerous foes storming against the broken gate.

"The angels they came
    and called out his name
    promising and pleasing his eye.
    His soul they did want
    but he only did taunt
    heartbreakingly they would cry.
    Never! he cried, you will only do wrong.
    and he remained standing, steadfast and strong,

Alistair grew increasingly grave during the recital, his gestures growing more subtle and measured.

"The scales made of gold,
    though his grip had grown cold,
    were broken by a thrust of his spear.
    The dragon did fall,
    still lost was it all
    with his life there escaped a small tear
    A last time, in stubbornness, his body did rise,
    then the warrior met his final demise,

Alistair abruptly fell silent.

He took a bow, regardless of the pirates approved of this form of entertainment or not, and afterwards sat down next to Grok.
    "As you can see, I am a man of culture." he declared, smiling.
    "Where there is no culture, it can always be created." Alistair hoped she had been serious the last night, and he had not alienated her and half the crew by reciting an actual ballad.
    "Tell me, do you have any special tastes in poets and composers?"

Show

Entertaining the crew: (1d20+8)[19]

Influencing Grok: (1d20+9)[29]

Con check to avoid being fatigued: (1d20+2)[3]

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGirl

Anika

Bone tired, Anika looks pleadingly up at Grok as she hands out the rum ration, waving it off.

The day had been tiring, emotionally and physically and her already fatigued body was ready to drop. Slipping below deck she crawls into her hammock and is asleep before Dolly can even tuck her in.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Grayson gathers up several bits of scrap wood that might serve his needs but halfway through his first attempt to whittle out a serviceable he hits a knot which gives way sharply and splits the wood. His next attempt isn't much better as he ends up with a steak that is too delicate for his purposes which snaps when he gives it a practice thrust into the rail.

Gale spends her evening with Samms "Barefoot" Toppin, a salty old sea hag out of the Sodden Lands. Samms is old enough to have given birth to most of the crew and even to some of their parents. As for why she forgoes the usual pirate boots, Samms says that she prefers to feel the deck and the rigging beneath her toes, and that she never liked the way her feet smelled after being confined for hours of sweaty work. She also boasts that she can hang by her toes from the ropes but declines to demonstrate. The old crone takes an immediate liking to Gale, saying that she sees a lot of her self in the young pirate.

Spoiler: Samms Influence Check Result
    Show
    Samms is now Helpful towards Gale. Gale receives 200 XP

When Alistair gets up to give his performance most of the pirates are instantly dismissive. Snorts and jeers and shouts of "Navy boy" ring out all over but as the former Lieutenant goes on with his performance these quickly fade away. Soon everybody is listening closely and those who know the story quickly snatch up instruments and begin a musical accompaniment.

As the performance ends and the final mournful strains of the accordion die away there are more than a few, admittedly drunk, misty-eyed pirates. It takes a few moments for the crew to go back to their usual rowdy selves.

Spoiler: Entertainment
    Show
    Alistair's performance grants him a +2 on all charisma based checks to interact with any of his listeners for the next 24 hours.

Also I missed this the first time so Beniel should record this as well but the successful performance grants 100 XP to the performer.

Grok wipes a single tear from her face and downs another cup of grog. "Aye, that it can Navy." she says throatily. The two spend the next several hours, as Grok gets progressively more drunk debating the finer points of art, music, and performance.

Spoiler: Grok Influence Check Results
    Show
    Grok is now Helpful towards Alistair. Alistair receives 300 XP and Grayson receives 100 XP

Salazar tries to take advantage of the goings on topside to explore the ship, specifically with an eye towards the laboratory he discovered in his assigned task. However he is thwarted by the fact that the door to the lab, which was open during the day is now closed. His curiosity very nearly gets the better of him but a fraction before he touches the latch to check if the portal is locked he notices faint arcane sigils etched to match the grain of the wood. Upon careful inspection he notes that the door is magically sealed and that it is trapped. There are a few stanzas that the young mage doesn't fully comprehend but what he goes glean is that most individuals touching the door would be in for quite a shock.

Thellan and Beniel join Anika in retiring early. Soon enough the whole crew is snoring loudly in the hold.

The next morning the bell rouses the crew of the Wormwood from their beds. The procedure is much the same as the second day except nobody messes with the new recruits this time around. Scourge is just as gruff and unsavory in handing out assignments as he was the day before to all but Grayson. One would think "Wilkes!" was the foulest of oaths the way the boatswain spits it out when giving orders. Alistair is assigned to check and double check nearly every knot on the ship. Thellan is hung over the side of the ship in a makeshift sling and ordered to scrape barnacles from the hull. And Grayson is assigned to ferry messages.

Mr. Plugg has Gale rerunning pulleys and working with the ship's smaller sails all day. When Anika appears on deck to serve the biscuits, left overs from yesterday seeing as Fishguts was still in his bunk and too inebriated for the girl to rouse, the sadistic first mate zeroes in on her and grabs her by the arm. "You sorry little wench," he says with an evil sneer, "It's the bilges for you today!"

"You two, with me!" he says pointing a Salazar and Beniel. The officer practically drags the little girl down the stairs into the hold of the ship. Pulling open the hatch he pushes her towards the ladder and barks at the two men, "Go with her. Make sure she learns to pull her weight on this ship!"

Spoiler: Alistair
    Show
    Profession Sailor DC 10 or Strength DC 10 and Constitution Check DC 10

Spoiler: Thellan
    Show
    Sailor DC 10 or Dexterity DC 10

Spoiler: Grayson
    Show
    Acrobatics DC 10 and Constitution DC 10

Spoiler: Gale
    Show
    Profession Sailor DC 10 or Dexterity DC 10

Spoiler: Anika, Salazar, & Beniel
    Show
    Strength Check DC 12 and Constitution Check DC 10
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-05-29 at 02:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

SwashbucklerGuy

Grayson grins wickedly to himself as Scourge calls his name. He sighs though as he becomes tasked with running. Step thunk, step thunk, step thunk. He runs around the ship back and forth, pain shooting up his leg as his weight lands on his wooden prosthetic.

He takes time to figure out how he can be helpful on the ship. Knowing full well that he had little skill with people he needed to figure out what else he could do to gain their trust. As he runs back and forth across the ship, he keeps his eyes on the other swabs, trying to glean whatever information he can about them.

Show
    Shirking duty taking 10 on the acrobatics for a 14
    Con (1d20+5)[24]
    Taking 10 on Perception for a 12
    If there is a swab who is struggling with their tasks he will try and aid them so they can avoid the whipping
    Sneak (1d20+2)[6]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gale is tired out from the previous night again, so she focuses on her work to avoid slipping up.

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    prof sailor (1d20+11)[29] (auto success)

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGirl

Seeing how hard the work is going to be Anika steels herself for another day diligent labor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    see ooc for str check XD total 15
    (1d20+1)[4] Con, assuming the +4 for diligence doesn't help here, its four higher if it does XD

She works the pumps vigorously but feels her energy flagging rapidly by the end of the day. She tries to keep her cheer up by telling the others tales of her last ship.
    "And the boatswain was nick'n things from the first mate, just cause he didn't like the color of his hat. They found it all stuffed in the pig pen, smellin to high heaven."
    Last edited by Ravenica; 2017-05-29 at 05:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

When Alistair arose that morning, he was already feeling tired. It seemed he had spent too much time with Grok last night - time well spent, that half-orc was full of surprises - but it remained to be seen if it had been prudent as far as today's duties were concerned.

Checking nearly every knot on the ship didn't sound like a lot of work, but... there was a lot of them. Which was an understatement. While running around on the ship, Alistair noticed a half-orc who had been assigned to provide a counterweight to Thellan.

"Heavy load on the other end?" he asked, trying for some humourous small-talk.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Taking 10 on the profession: sailor roll again.
    Constitution roll: (1d20)[16] (+2 Con -2 fatigue)
    Influencing the half-orc: (1d20+11)[24] (assuming he was part of the crowd listening to the ballad. If not, it's probably wiser to find somebody else and influence them.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Salazar and Beniel do their best to help Anika stay dry in the bilges, carrying her from the ladder, and pulling a rotted box over to the pump so that she can take a turn when they both tire out. The slimy dank hole is cold and dark, filled with scummy water and various piles of refuse. The manacles bolted to the hull clank softly with the rocking of the ship. Every so often there is the eerie feeling that something hungry and malevolent is watching and waiting. Sometimes the thick cobwebs quiver with motion not caused by the sea.

Spoiler: Salazar and Beniel Rolls
    Show
    Salazar Strength: (1d20)[13] ; Constitution: (1d20+2)[5]
    Beniel Strength: (1d20+2)[10] ; Constitution: (1d20+2)[14]
    Nomrom: If we don't hear from you by Friday Beniel will become an NPC

Up on deck a gnome with a rather obvious glass eye is struggling to fight the wind that is picking at the sail he is trying to mend. He grunts his thanks and stitches like mad when Grayson's peg leg stabs down onto the canvas, holding it in place. Nearby the half-orc that Alistair addresses turns out to be a surly mute. He is grey skinned instead of green, a malady that has earned him the name Jaundiced Jape. He hauls on the rope in a hard and unnecessary manner attempting to make it look like an accident when he swings an elbow at the Chelish sailor. Alistair manages to sidestep the clumsy maneuver and Thellan gives a cry of triumph and appears over the side of the ship holding a nearly record sized barnacle. The orc seems surprised by Alistair's reflexes but his response is merely to snort deep in his throat and spit on the deck near the ex-navy sailor's boot. The action reveals that the end of the orc's tongue has been cut off.

Spoiler: Influence Check Results
    Show
    Jape is now unfriendly towards Alistair.

As the sun begins to set the tell-tale grey splotch of land appears on the horizon to the west.

Fishguts serves the meal after bloody hour, the whole time barely able to stand with a heartbroken expression on his face and an inability to look Anika in the eyes.

Show
    Nighttime.

Merecat If we don't hear from you by Friday Thellan will become an NPC
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-05-30 at 10:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

SwashbucklerGuy

Grayson Wilkes

Grayson smiles inwardly, glad that one disabled was able to help another. "Us cripples need to keep an-" he stops himself realizing he was about to break his own rule. "We need to be there for each other." and he goes off to finish his work.

After the beatings he takes his meal and quickly goes below decks to take another crack at his woodworking project. "The stakes just get higher and higher." he mumbles to himself as he gets to work.

Show

Con loss (1d3)[2]
    Fatigue duration (1d8)[4] hours
    Charisma gain (1d4)[3]
    Craft woodworking (1d20+5)[10]
    DC=12