New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Small Task

1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Harley brings Dennis up to the open space, and Dennis parts the branches for all to see.

The area is a circle 80 feet in diameter without any vegetation save for a thick, proportionally squat oak tree in its center, surrounded by a ring of small puddles. The center tree, old and gnarled, is about fifteen feet thick, and stops at the forest's ordinary canopy height to extend its branches over the whole circle, shading the clearing from the sun.

Facing away from the group, shoulders slumped, a giant humanoid (tall as the tree is thick) hacks rhythmically at the tree with a large, silver battleaxe. The being's skin is pale enough to nearly glow, and its ragged long hair draped over its chain shirt glistens a light, celestial blue.

The being has made a dent about a fifth of the way through the tree. At its feet, kept just out of a puddle, is a large burlap sack, closed, that looks to be half filled with objects unknown.

What do you do?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: No Small Task

Remaining as silent as possible, Caoilfhionn follows Dennis into the clearing. She sees the giant and maintains her spellcasting stance, ready to let loose her magic if provoked. She gently touches the spider on the soft spot between chitinous tissue at the joint between the tibia and metatarsus at a height roughly between her own elbow and shoulder. She knows, however, that she lacks the conversational skill to be the spokes-one of the group, and waits for another to decide how conversation should begin. Assuming, of course, that conversation is preferred to more direct interaction.

She holds her spell ready until her next action (or until attacked) no matter how friendly the giant seems. Move silently mod is 0 if it matters.
    Knowledge (Nature) +3 untrained for actual knowledge of those spider leg terms,
    but she knows where to signal it either way because of time spent with Harley, and might know the words because of time spent with Dennis.
    Last edited by Space-Is-Curved; 2017-06-14 at 12:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Griffon

The figure makes no notice as the group approaches slightly.

Aaron do you need to decide what spell Caoilfhionn has prepared? Also, what is everyone's charisma stat and associated skill bonuses?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn has Magic Missile prepared, which I said in my previous post and forgot to mention again. She can't technically ready an action until her turn after initiative order has been established, so if she is surprised or the enemy has higher initiative and acts while she is flat footed, she won't be able to respond until her actual turn and will be able to change her mind.

Caoilfhionn's Charisma is 8, for a -1 modifier, with no other modifier in any Charisma-based skills.

5. - Top - End - #35

Flumph

I have Charisma 8 btw, so I probably shouldn't negotiate. But I'd like to make a Knowledge Nature roll to see if I can determine anything about what this creature is or what it may be doing.
    Roll: 3
    Modifier: 8
    Total: 11

6. - Top - End - #36

Flumph

Actually, I will open a conversation, but I'd like this to kind of take place after everyone else decides if they want to make Knowledge checks. Also, depending on the results of my check or others I may want to change this,
    I just want to try and get the ball rolling if that's alright.

"Hey there friend, you know there are a lot better tools to cut down a tree than battle axe."
    Dennis speaks in his low gravely voice

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

My charisma score is 7, and Allsaghir doesn't have the best grasp of common and speaks with a heavy wildelven accent so I'll leave diplomacy to someone else.
    Allsaghir and Tengu let out a low growl at the sight of a tree being treated so barbarically, drawing themselves ever lower to the ground and keeping their eyes on the giant.
    At Dennis's words, Allsaghir chimes in, barking out "Aye, you oughts to stop that quick ya oaf"
    I get a minus 3 to every knowledge skill, so I doubt I'll be getting much from that anyway.

8. - Top - End - #38

Griffon

It sounds like diplomacy might be up to Inebrano, but given that Casey doesn't post as frequently as some of you guys it would probably be best if Andrew or Aaron took the main reigns as negotiator.

I'll wait till Casey makes a post about what she's doing before I describe any more for now.

By the way, as a general rule, once in a conversation you guys can collude about things among yourselves in character for as long as you want without the NPCs feeling awkward or listening in. In combat you might have to get more clever with discussing plans.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Inebrano sidles up behind Allsaghir and Tengu, sort of peeking out to the side, yet still in clear view of the figure in question.
    He crosses his arms and twists his face, staring at this odd being. He's not intimidated in the least and blurts out in his thick Dwarven accent, "Hey bud, you're a bit far from any town. You live around here?"

Inebrano's Charisma is an 8 -1 (+1 in Diplomacy). I think this is his lowest ability score, to be honest. He DOES have Automatic Language, however. Though I'm not sure how much that can help.

10. - Top - End - #40

Griffon

The highest charisma score among you all is an 8. May God have mercy on your souls.

Dennis attempts to deduce the nature of the being, and recalls that its proportions and size appear consistent with that of some sort of giant.

The giant turns to face the group. It has a long thin beard as blue as its hair and deep-set eyes that betray an unexpected flicker of intelligence. He looks at the group in surprise for a moment, and then immediately his face turns to a grimace of rage.

"WHO ARE YOU? WHAT IS YOUR BUSINESS WHERE I LIVE AND WHAT I DO?" He booms, his voice deep and gravelly. He grips the axe tight.

11. - Top - End - #41

Flumph

Our charisma guy dropped out, so we'll just have to play this adventure with the Old West rules of negotiating. That is to say, we're probably going to end up in a lot of fights.

"Calm down there buddy, we're just passing through and heard you going to town on that tree.
    Any particular reason you're brutalizing hard woods?" Dennis says in a level voice

12. - Top - End - #42

Griffon

"THIS TREE AND WHAT I DO TO IT IS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN." The giant yells.

13. - Top - End - #43

Flumph

So I don't know about you guys but I feel like we should probably just be on our way. I mean he's just chilling in the woods and chopping down a tree doesn't automatically make you evil, or a threat.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn gives a perfunctory nod to the giant humanoid in response.

"Our apologies for the intrusion. My companions and I meant you no offense."

Turning towards the rest of the party, she continues. "We were only passing by and will be on our way."

15. - Top - End - #45

Griffon

The giant merely stares at Caoilfhionn, placing himself between the group and the tree, intensely awaiting your departure.

Caoilfhionn, the copy-pasted one, whose name shall never be typed out from memory.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Allsaghir's eyes dart back and forth between the giant, the tree, and over his left shoulder toward his brother Aldaba's presence. His frusturation builds quickly during the short exchange, until he finally yells out in a shriek of elven, "You bastard of a giant! That tree's twice the man you'll ever be! (for those that speak elven)"
    Then, he lets his spear fly with all of his might towards the giant

(1d20+1)[19]
    Last edited by bigjazzboy; 2017-06-19 at 01:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Griffon

The spear soars through the air and strikes the giant in his right shoulder. It remains embedded for a second, and then slips out, leaving a small, bloodless indent in the giant's callous skin. Unflinching, the giant catches the spear on its fall and snaps it in half, dropping the splintered pieces onto the ground.

The giant steps forward toward Allsaghir. He gestures at Dennis. "THE ONE ON THE SPIDER HAS MADE AN EXCELLENT POINT. THIS AXE IS HARDLY SUITED FOR CHOPPING TREES, SKINNY MAN."

18. - Top - End - #48

Flumph

"Hey now, let's not get carried away. My friend here is just odd fella, and uhhh sometimes he likes to greet new new folk that way. Didn't mean no harm. No why don't we be on our way and you have yourself a pleasant time chopping up that there tree, alright?" Dennis said in the gravely approximation of a soothing tone.

I'm rolling for bluff/diplomacy, I don't know which is more applicable but I have the same modifier for both.
    Roll:5
    Modifier: -1
    Total: 4
    My bad guys

19. - Top - End - #49

Griffon

The giant glares at Dennis, and then back to Allsaghir, grotesque anger washing over his face. He lifts the axe over his head, and then hurls it forward at Allsaghir.

The greataxe embeds itself in the earth at Allsaghir's feet. The giant smiles, hands on his hips. "YOU ARE LUCKY THAT FINDING THIS TREE TODAY HAS PUT ME IN A VERY GOOD MOOD, MOST HOURS I WOULD HAVE KILLED A TROOP OF ELVES LIKE YOU FOR SIMPLY INTERRUPTING MY BREAKFAST. I WILL SPARE YOU ALL - IF YOU DO SOMETHING FOR ME."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn watches the proceedings cautiously. Her right hand holds her staff away from her body but angled in what she hopes appears to be an un-aggressive posture. Her left hand is down by her side, but she keeps her fingers crooked in a position of evocation and slowly moves them along the necessary paths. She watches the giant, but part of her mind begins to find and arrange the glyphs into syllables that she would shout.

The giant moves to throw his axe. Caoilfhionn hesitates. Every instinct, both born and trained, tells her to loose a missile of energy into the giant's abdomen. But Caoilfhionn hesitates. She watches with wretched horror as the axe flies toward Allsaghir. She watches with impossible relief as it lands short. Her hand goes limp and she lets the glyphs fade into her subconscious once again, only registering what the giant had said a second after he had finished speaking.

Caoilfhionn had sworn no oath to Allsaghir. She had not promised her life for his.

"What would you ask of us?" she asks, hearing the tremor of the already-fading adrenaline in her voice.

21. - Top - End - #51

Griffon

"A SMALL TASK ONLY. I TRULY AM SHOWING YOU MERCY TODAY."

The giant gestures to the weapon embedded in the ground and looks to Allsaghir.

"GO SHARPEN MY AXE."

http://craggymrpancakes.tumblr.com/image/162033484061

22. - Top - End - #52

Flumph

Dennis looks from the axe to the giant and back again. Though obscured and unreadable one could almost sense his mouth turned down into a disbelieving frown.
    "Sharpen your axe? Very well, has it been dulled from your enthusiastic lumbering?"
    While he speaks Dennis guides Harley over to the axe so that he may pick it up.

I love the title card Andy, it's a really nice touch.

23. - Top - End - #53

Griffon

thank you thank you

"OBVIOUSLY, AND SO IT IS TAKING FAR TOO LONG." The giant says. "GO INTO THE TOWN AND HAVE IT SHARPENED."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn nods again to the gaint humanoid. Relief floods over her like cool water. They would be on their way again without trouble. The giant, despite his questionable lumberly actions, had shown them mercy.

Reminding herself to speak with Allsaghir in private later, she addressed the giant. "We will do as you have asked."

Knowledge Local, History, and Nobility and Royalty +8, Knowledge Geography +7 for Caoilfhionn to know of any closer towns than Skarrise that the giant might be referring to, or to know of any knowledge of Skarrise that would make the simple request of sharpening a large blade difficult for any reason.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Allsaghir drops to the floor as the axe hurdles towards him, jumping back a few superfluous feet. He turns to his companions as Tengu yaps and bites at the axe's handle in frustration. "Friends, we outnumber the fool 8 to 1! Why should we be the ones doing as told when we ought kill him now," he fumed in a hushed down, unaware of the amount of spit involved in his plea.

It won't let me put a link in my signature until I've made 10 posts on this account.
    Also, you all would know by now that my fakebrother is named Aldaba Majnu and his hyena is Bahbi.
    Aldaba is a wise, stoic barbarian who often tries to rein in Allsaghir's wild side, to no avail.

26. - Top - End - #56

Griffon

"lumberly actions"

And so while Caoilfhionn and Dennis thank the giant for what approximates hospitality, Allsaghir fumes and let's Tengu bite at the axe in the background. The weapon in question specifically appears to be a large masterwork greataxe, weighing 24 lbs and firmly wedged in the ground at the moment. It is a polished silver color, and has some intricately carved details embedded around the leather-wrapped handle.

Caoilfhionn knows from knowledge of the local area that there are two nearby towns, one called Sasserpine a day away to the southeast and a smaller town called Vaardwolg some distance less to the northeast, both requiring some forward travel on the trail in the direction the group was already heading. As far as Caoilfhionn is aware, there should be no issue in having the axe sharpened by a resident blacksmith, though while it is likely she is not fully certain of these towns having any.

The giant has now turned its attention back to Allsaghir and Tengu, who he glares at furiously.

27. - Top - End - #57

Flumph

Dennis rides Harley over to the axe and pulls it from the ground and lays it across his lap.
    "Calm down Al, we'll talk it over in a minute once we're out of the clearing" he whispers to Ben's character who's name is not located on the page that I am typing on.
    Dennis turns Harley around and begins moving back toward the trail.

So I'm good to dip out of the clearing and have a group conversation on the trail out of earshot.

28. - Top - End - #58

Griffon

Dennis must make a strength check to pull the axe out of the ground.

29. - Top - End - #59

Flumph

Roll: 13
    Bonus: 3
    Total: 16

30. - Top - End - #60

Griffon

Dennis pulls the axe from the ground and begins to ride off.

Does the axe put you or your spider in a heavier load?