New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Small Task

1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: No Small Task

Allsaghir helps to pry Tengu from the axe as Dennis takes it, glaring at the giant all the while. He whispers on, "Fine. Fine. Fine, we'll go for now but I swear that giant acts badly! We ought to take him..." he continues grumbling as he follows the rest of the party along.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn watches as Dennis pries the ax from the earth. It was indeed a simple task. Any blacksmith at either nearby settlement should be able to handle this, and the cost would be negligible relative to a loss of life.

As she exits the clearing with the party, she opens one of the many pockets on her bandolier belt and removes a dried ovoid leaf. She snaps a portion of the dried leaf off and places it on her tongue, relishing the bitter taste. She feels the tremor in her hands, the tremor that she had fought with all her concentration to suppress, begin to subside.

"Vaardwolg's the closest," she said, adding an 'of course' with her tone, "but Sasserpine isn't much further. Personally, I'd prefer we check Vaardwolg first. We could save a few hours in total there and back."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

"ONE MORE THING." The giant bellows just as the group departs.

He holds a closed fist up to his face and opens it to reveal a handful off course, black sand. He blows the sand out of his hand with one breath, and onto Allsaghir ten feet away. It is an altogether uncomfortable experience for the druid, like a gust of wind in a desert.

The giant gives a treacherous grins. "A PROPER FAREWELL TO MY NEW FRIEND, MAY YOUR JOURNEY PASS SILKEN."

He calls to those just leaving the clearing. "YOU WILL ALL RETURN HERE WITH MY AXE SHARPENED BY TOMORROW NIGHT, OR I WILL FIND YOU AND KILL YOU. AND EAT YOU."

4. - Top - End - #64

Flumph

No the axe doesn't change my carry load.

Once they are truly out of the giants earshot Dennis turns to his compatriots. "Well let's head to Vaardwolg then, and we need to make sure we're out of the village by sundown. I won't have this giant rampaging into an unsuspecting village. Though with that last comment I'm starting to think that maybe we should lay an ambush for this giant, I'm worried what he may do to future travellers."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn considers Dennis's suggestion.

"Perhaps. For now, we should make all haste to Vaardwolg. Perhaps we will be able to find allies among the local constabulary. I don't think it likely, but making a few inquiries shouldn't slow us too terribly as it doesn't take all of us to have one ax sharpened. Besides, we do have the giant's weapon now..." She trails off, thinking.

"What do you make of that business with the sand? Allsaghir, did you feel anything? Are you hurt?"

Knowledge Arcana +8, Spellcraft +11 for identifying the "PROPER FAREWELL" as a ritual or spell.

6. - Top - End - #66

Griffon

Caoilfhionn has no knowledge of the incident with the sand.

Allsaghir feels no different from the incident either

yo ben tell him you dont feel any different.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Allsaghir brushes himself off- "feelin pissed as a hog is what I'm feeling. I say we rush to town, sharpen the damn ax, and cut the fool's head off with it soon as we can..." he turns away for a moment to add through gritted teeth, "You shut your mouth if you know what's good for yah. I coulda taken the bastard all on my own"

8. - Top - End - #68

Flumph

So everyone good to head to town? Also Ben, do our characters know who you're talking to or do they just think you talk to yourself sometimes?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's a solid Affirmativo for Caoilfhionn.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Off we go! And yes- you're all well aware of Allsaghir's brother's "existence,"
    whether or not you believe him is up to you.

11. - Top - End - #71

Griffon

And so the party returns to the path and continues East through the Esdar Forest, the giant's axe strapped with the rest of the supplies on the back of Harley. Very shortly into the journey, the path splits into two routes, one the the Northeast and one sharply curving South. There is one sign at the juncture, which reads "SASSERPINE" and points along the Southward path. From Caoilfhionn's knowledge of the area, the Northeast path will lead to the nearer town of Vaardwolg, and so that is the path that the group takes.

The path diverges again shortly, one path leading due East and the other, a less used trail, curving slightly North. Two signs now stand, several town names displayed on the Eastward path, and only the name of "Vaardwolg" displayed on the Northeast path. The party takes the path toward Vaardwolg.

For a few hours of travel the ground steadily grows more uneven, and the canopy occasionally less dense. Enumerable creeks trickle down the hills that the group skirts. By 2 o'clock these trends of elevation and thinning trees reverts, with the return of level ground and a canopy darker than that of the giant's clearing. With the hills behind, the group proceeds, and the forest around the trail grows thicker and thicker.

The group turns a bend to see three figures in the trail forty feet ahead, standing side by side and facing the party, as if expecting their arrival. The middle figure, tall but hunched, wears a heavy robe and carries a staff in its hand. The other two flanking the middle figure are broad shouldered and wear ponchos and loin clothes, each carrying an un-nocked bow. Even in the low light, their hyena-like heads can be clearly seen, and their identities as gnolls is apparent.

The middle figure speaks loudly in the voice of an old woman. "You are treading through the land of the tribe of Ckaryak. We usually give no heed to travelers, but to you four we extend our warmest welcome."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn hesitates only a moment before speaking. When no one else begins the conversation, she goes to one knee and speaks.

"Your welcome comes without expectation, but our thanks will grace your tables at your next meal."

Knowledge local +8, if I know anything huge about this relationship I might retcon.

13. - Top - End - #73

Griffon

Caoilfhionn has never heard of the Ckaryak tribe, or even that gnolls are native to these woods.

The gnoll woman lets out a joyless, eerie laugh that lasts several seconds, and the two gnolls beside her briefly join in. Her face returns to its sincere grin. "At our next next meal, splendid, you waste no time awaiting a formal invitation. But first forgive me if I must ask your names."

She makes no movement toward the group, and the gnolls flanking her eye the party suspiciously.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Before I forget, one of use should probably cast detect magic, evil, etc. on this axe before too long. Anyway- Knowledge local I guess? one tribesman to another, after all
    (1d20-3)[1]
    inb4 sub10 roll

While it's not his first time ever seeing gnoll, Allsaghir is enchanted by the existence of the half-hyenas. He and Tengu let out a courtesy laugh/howl along with them.
    "Allsaghir. Here Tengu. And Majnu and Bahbi," he says, absent mindedly doing his best imitation of the gnoll's accent as he gestures to his side towards his brother/hyenas.
    Last edited by bigjazzboy; 2017-07-10 at 05:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Griffon

The gnoll woman bows. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Tengu. And Allsaghir." She adds with a glance at the druid. "And... are there travelers among you we cannot see?"

16. - Top - End - #76

Flumph

Dennis keeps his hands on his bow, resting gently in his lap. "Not quite, this fella just likes to talk to himself a bit, you know how it is. Sometimes you just have to have a conversation with the only person who understands you." He says in what could only be described as a 'light tone' of his gravely voice, with a wry smile hidden completely under the bandanna tied over his lower face.
    "Name's Dennis, pleasure to meet you."

17. - Top - End - #77

Griffon

"I see." She replies, eyeing Allsighir.

Instead of us carrying on with the individual introductions, I can generalize the rest of the process in a post. Unless you guys have specific things you want to say.

Hey Casey think of something specific to say.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I am Caoilfhionn," Caoilfhionn says as introduction, "and I meant no forwardness. In my culture.... I feared that I might insult you should I not accept a meal. I do not know of your people. I regret my ignorance."

19. - Top - End - #79

Griffon

"Yes, no insult taken." The old gnoll woman replies. She has not made any effort to move closer.

Inebrano proceeds to introduce himself.

...With all the grace and timeliness of a failed quicktime event.

"My open name is Vil'Katsk, High Shaman of the Ckaryak." The woman says. "I am delighted to make your acquaintance. But, to the point, that axe you carry on your... beast belongs to someone I know. Did you steal it, or are you working for him?"

Her guards tense. The one on her left hovers his hand over an arrow strapped to his hip.

20. - Top - End - #80

Flumph

"To be honest with you, we're still deciding what's going on with this axe. A giant in the forest some ways back bid us, in not the friendliest manner, to sharpen this axe for him by tonight. Then he blew some strange black dust in my friends face here and sent us most ungraciously on our way." Dennis says in response.

"Due to his, let's say 'uncouth', manner of dealings, we aren't sure if this giant is benign or not, and we'd welcome any input you might have in regards to him."

21. - Top - End - #81

Griffon

For the record, you have to sharpen it by tomorrow night.

She laughs abruptly again.

"I know little about strange dust, but I don't doubt that Andernach would send you to perform some task like this. He often does these sorts of things, you know. He likes to hurt people, but he likes to let them disappoint him first so that he feels like they deserve it. He's a horrible creature." She shakes her head with disgust for a moment. "But now then, we'll take the axe off your hands."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Caoilfhionn listens to the conversation,studying the intake of breath and the output of laughter, only interrupting when Vil'Katsk asks Dennis for the axe.

"You know this giant? How might we help you against his terror?"

Caoilfhionn steps away from Dennis and Harley, approaching Vil'Katsk with two hands open and palms up.

23. - Top - End - #83

Griffon

"By giving us his axe. There are many strategies we could employ with such a thing in our hands, in due time." She says.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Allsaghir get's a grip on the continued existence of hyena people, adding with next to no eloquence nor awareness of his own volume, "And why should we trusya? This ax very well gonna be the death of us, not something I'm keen to hand to strangers,"

25. - Top - End - #85

Griffon

"A fair point." She replies. "But we cannot let the giant get the axe back now that it has been delivered right to us, for we cannot be sure you wouldn't hand it back if he threatened you. We are willing to pay you, in fact, three hundred of your 'golden pieces' if you give it to us now and be on your way."

A guard at her side reveals a bag on his loincloth, laden with coins.

"And we insist on this deal." She concludes.

Max and Sean, sorry it's taking so long. I'll try to get you guys in soonish.

26. - Top - End - #86

Flumph

Dennis eyes the gnolls and their offered gold suspiciously. "If this giant really is as bad as you say then I think I might have a proposition for you. Why don't we team up and use the axe to lure the giant into an ambush we lay, I reckon with all of our might combined we'd make quick work of 'em."

I'd like to make a sense motive check on the gnolls
    Bonus to sense motive: +4
    Andy you make these kinds of rolls for us right?

27. - Top - End - #87

Griffon

Either way, I trust you guys to roll too.

You got a 4, so 8 total.

Try getting better.

"An ambush." She repeats skeptically. "We had something of the sort in mind, but you do not seem the type of elf to have thought this through. And why should we include you in our workings when we can't be sure you won't betray us? Would it not be easier for you to help Andernach kill us than help us kill Andernach? And easier still to make this choice when the hour demands it?"

Anyone else is welcome to try to roll for diplomacy.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

A sense motive for good measure (1d20+3)[12]
    and Diplomacy (1d20-2)[5]

inb4 natty20's

Allsaghir scowls in a moment of mild confusion, but pieces together a plan- "Or even better, how's it sound that we'll sell our services to ya for 300 of our 'golden pieces' and we'll kill the giant out your forest with ya. Then, we could just share the axe!" he finishes with a subtle wink to Dennis.
    CHA roll for wink subtlety (1d20-2)[8]

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"We do not yet know your strength," Caoilfhionn Lendlelow adds, "and you can only guess at ours. Might it not be in the interest of both of our parties to exchange a hostage, repair the axe, defeat the giant, and return the hostages?"

30. - Top - End - #90

Griffon

It seems to Allsaghir that the gnolls are mistrustful, though not intimidated by the party, and very concerned with getting their claws on the axe.

Allsaghir's wink is not immensely subtle, but as it turns out gnolls have no familiarity with the gesture, so it is subtle enough. Still, Vil'Katsk is unimpressed with Allsaghir's request.

Rolled for Caoilfhionn's diplomacy check. -1, right?

13-1 = 12

At Caoilfhionn's suggestion, Vil'Katsk pauses a moment before erupting into another eerie laugh, this one lasting for quite some time.

"You truly are such blunt folks." She lets her guard down at last. "We are acquainted dealing with beings of sinister motives and verbal craft. You have neither. It would be cruel to force the axe out of your hands, so I will accept your plea for your life. You will give us a hostage of our choice, we will give you a hostage again of our choice. And yes, you will sharpen the axe, it may be far more useful in that condition. Will that be a fair plan?"