New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1071 - The Discussion Thread

I was going to say tattoos, but from the glimpse of the Frost Giant not in battle, I'm gonna go with Grey Wolf on this .
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I was going to say tattoos, but from the glimpse of the Frost Giant not in battle, I'm gonna go with Grey Wolf on this .
    Most of the giant clerics lack visible tattoos/paints (with the exception of the one seemingly in charge) so they could be tattoos indicating status or role in society. I'm a little skeptical that they could get any sort of plant based dye or paint in the climate theyre in, though admittedly, they could be traveling through the mountains in wintertime.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Most of the giant clerics lack visible tattoos/paints (with the exception of the one seemingly in charge) so they could be tattoos indicating status or role in society. I'm a little skeptical that they could get any sort of plant based dye or paint in the climate theyre in, though admittedly, they could be traveling through the mountains in wintertime.
    There are probably *some* plants, which may also be the reason the paint is reserved for the warriors. Also, not all paints are plant-based. Many blues are extracted from rocks.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Would a good answer to Elan's question be "1 in 4 people"?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The giantess is not thinking very rationally, although she believes that she is. She's not going to get very far attacking the ship with Roy whaling on her. Also, Elan can cast Minor Confusion again. This will not end well for the Furkini Menace, I'm afraid. It is interesting, though, that her instructions are "Destroy the ship", not "kill them all". Delay is good enough.

"I could have sworn I saw" counts as foreshadowing if ever a shadow has been cast before a cast of characters. Dragon? Roc? Return of Julio, just in the nick of time?

Andi's ability to rationalize that her decisions are good ones is remarkable.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #156

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And apparently Andi isn't even a very good engineer, given that she just said she fixes things via trial and error...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    No she doesn't. It rather proves that her job may be engineer, but she's not an engineer, she's a dilettante.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm inclined to say it suggests the true job Julio selected her for is not "engineer," but "antagonist on an episode where I leave the ship in Bandana's hands at some point."
    To quote the great Stan Kelly-Bootle in The Devil's DP Dictionary
    • I heurist
    • You trial and err
    • He/she flounders

If you are fixing something on a spacecraft in orbit you don't just randomly command the hardware or upload new data and see if it works. That's a good way to lose a spacecraft. Making reasoned choices about the probably source of the error using a fishbone analysis of the possible causes of the observed error signature and eliminating them one by one before issuing any commands is the way to go. I think repairing a flying ship in flight is fairly similar to fixing a flying spacecraft.

Back in the day the best problems were the ones that went away when you put in print statements to help diagnose them, because those usually meant you were overwriting your own code somewhere.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The giantess is not thinking very rationally, although she believes that she is. She's not going to get very far attacking the ship with Roy whaling on her. Also, Elan can cast Minor Confusion again. This will not end well for the Furkini Menace, I'm afraid. It is interesting, though, that her instructions are "Destroy the ship", not "kill them all". Delay is good enough.

"I could have sworn I saw" counts as foreshadowing if ever a shadow has been cast before a cast of characters. Dragon? Roc? Return of Julio, just in the nick of time?

Not going to lie, if this forum had a like button I'd click the one for this post juuust for the words "Furkini Menace". Pretty sure that's the first time since the birth of the universe that someone's said those words.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Back in the day the best problems were the ones that went away when you put in print statements to help diagnose them, because those usually meant you were overwriting your own code somewhere.
    Or the compiler you were using had a bug which only manifested with a particular arrangement of code...I recall once trying to work out why some code I'd written ran really slow, and hit on the idea of getting the C compiler to output the intermediate assembler is was generating. When it spat out about 2k of assembly code from 5 lines of C I knew I'd hit a bug somewhere, and just refactoring the code to use a not equal operation rather than an equal one made it work fine.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Or the compiler you were using had a bug which only manifested with a particular arrangement of code...I recall once trying to work out why some code I'd written ran really slow, and hit on the idea of getting the C compiler to output the intermediate assembler is was generating. When it spat out about 2k of assembly code from 5 lines of C I knew I'd hit a bug somewhere, and just refactoring the code to use a not equal operation rather than an equal one made it work fine.
    My "favorite" is a project where the behind-the-scenes multithreading code inconsistently broke when compiled in debug mode, so there were issues while debugging that never occurred in the production code (which complicated figuring out what the production code was smoking).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

I read "I could've sworn I saw..." as a reference back to #1067, when Andi made the choice on which way to go around the mountain. Her reason for the path she chose was that she thought she saw plains in the distance.

Which is not to say it can't also be foreshadowing! What would make her see that and then have it turn out to be wrong? I mean, it could just be her own ego, making her sure that she has a solution that doesn't actually exist, but it could also be illusion, or...?
    Last edited by ella ventic; 2017-05-20 at 04:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pretty sure it just means whatever she thought she saw isn't really there.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

12. - Top - End - #162

Yeah it's just further proof that her thought processes are basically delusions and wishful thinking.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    My "favorite" is a project where the behind-the-scenes multithreading code inconsistently broke when compiled in debug mode, so there were issues while debugging that never occurred in the production code (which complicated figuring out what the production code was smoking).
    My 'favorite' was a piece of multithreading code that broke only on single-core machines. Of course, all the developers had multicore machines so they could compile faster...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Playful natural lighting can make wonderful optical illusions. Mighty glaciers thousands of feet tall could look like flat frozen plains until you're closer.
    Wishful thinking only make it worse.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

15. - Top - End - #165

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You know, I like quoting from the Order of the Stick.

But it's going to be hard to find a way to work "Compel discerning peanut butter droplet ladders" into a conversation.
    I managed to work variable speed corn muffins into conversation; don't sell yourself short.

Q
    No one expects the Bardic Exposition!

Quibblicious.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The part that's confusing is that Andi told Mateo to go head back to the fork, not the ridge....but they went over the ridge after the fork. Are they going to try going over the ridge again (despite being unable to gain more altitude than they had the first time), or does Mateo have a navigational frame of reference to allow bypassing the ridge?
    I think they will just either get stranded due to being unable to gain enough altitude, or they will crash while trying...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Weren't Saturns made by Toyota?
    GM, in Spring Hill, TN.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Or is Andi so out of her element and incompetent that she doesn't even understand that what she's asking for is literally impossible?
    That's an Andi thing. Just don't argue with her, because she's right ... uh, because.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ... the words "Furkini Menace". Pretty sure that's the first time since the birth of the universe that someone's said those words.
    Hmm, perhaps it is the name of an edgy all female punk band from the Yukon. It is a great neologism, and ought to be the subject of a t shirt or something.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Not going to lie, if this forum had a like button I'd click the one for this post juuust for the words "Furkini Menace". Pretty sure that's the first time since the birth of the universe that someone's said those words.
    Probably because Furkini is a crazy idea. By crazy I mean crazy counterproductive.

You are wearing clothes with fur on it, probably for keeping warm. But you are cutting out the majority of the torso area, thereby keeping the wearer from warmth, but on a hot day, it still feels warm. Therefore making it useless.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

19. - Top - End - #169

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Probably because Furkini is a crazy idea. By crazy I mean crazy counterproductive.

You are wearing clothes with fur on it, probably for keeping warm. But you are cutting out the majority of the torso area, thereby keeping the wearer from warmth, but on a hot day, it still feels warm. Therefore making it useless.
    Or, stylish and edgy for a Frost Giantess teetering on the edge of rebellion against the patriarchy! Not that I'd expect a Paladin to understand that.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Meanwhile, I don't think Andi has many more tries she can do in any event; they just cleared that last mountain and they have less magic gas now than they did then. I suspect they won't be able to go back.

Which means the Mechane is stuck in a valley or crater and isn't going anywhere until they can effect repairs, if then, since even if the ship is fully repaired they still need more magic gas.

Here's hoping they have the OOTS equivalent of Road Service. But I suspect this means the party is going to have to journey on without the airship for now.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

21. - Top - End - #171
    Colossus in the Playground

I doubt the Order will be continuing without the Mechane. Both because this would not, by any stretch, be "arriving in the nick of time" and because...while I won't be at all surprised if Andi exits the story (and probably the world of the living) any strip now, I don't think Bandana's role in the story is finished, or will be as anticlimactic as "guess our leaving you to deal with a busted airship is how your stint as captain ends after all" when it is.

22. - Top - End - #172

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ariko View Post
    It's an ice thought, though.
    That was cold hearted.

Q
    No one expects the Bardic Exposition!

Quibblicious.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Quibblicious View Post
    That was cold hearted.

Q
    Just couldn't let that one slide, could you?

If you're not careful we'll find ourselves in a frozen pundra again...

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
    Just couldn't let that one slide, could you?

If you're not careful we'll find ourselves in a frozen pundra again...
    I get the feeling that things are going to snowball very quickly ...
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I get the feeling that things are going to snowball very quickly ...
    Ooooh, that gave me the chills....

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #176

OldWizardGuy

Ooooh, that gave me the chills....
    The blizzard of puns might derail the thread!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Well, if this is how Andi tackles engineering issues, she's also a rotten engineer. "Trial and error" is NOT how you fix a machine, in my experience. That approach implies that you just replace every part at random until you get around to the one that's actually broken. Maybe I'm wrong here, but don't actual engineers know enough about their machines to have a pretty good idea what's wrong before they start working on them?
    Symptoms have an annoying tendency to have several possible causes, and that makes fixing machines frequently involve multiple checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As I edited above: she is suggesting finding an exit from the mountain range by randomly trying every valley they come across, so I think I am in quite solid ground when I say that her definition of trial and error is closer to what I'm using than to yours.

GW
    This assumes one definition of trial and error, and that's a really dubious assumption. Every indication we've seen so far indicates that she's good as a ship engineer, starting with how she managed to jury rig the engines to work after the ship took severe damage in a thunderstorm quite possibly caused by a god. That doesn't mean that she can apply anywhere near that level of finesse when applying broad engineering principles to something she knows basically nothing about, and she knows basically nothing about navigation.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This assumes one definition of trial and error, and that's a really dubious assumption.
    No, it assumes that Rich has one definition in mind when he has her use the words, regardless of how many others there are. And the implication is that her "blindly try things until one works" navigation (rather than at the very least consult a navigation chart) matches her engineering approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Every indication we've seen so far indicates that she's good as a ship engineer, starting with how she managed to jury rig the engines to work after the ship took severe damage in a thunderstorm quite possibly caused by a god
    The jury rigging had to be carefully undone, or risked exploding the ship. That is not an indication of great engineering. It is also not an indication of bad engineering - we simply don't know how dangerous the engine was before she jury-rigged it. Therefore, we don't know that she is as good as you claim: the evidence is mixed at best.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-05-22 at 06:06 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    The blizzard of puns might derail the thread!
    I'm actually amazed we've managed to stay this level of on track for a comic thread. Kinda cool, really.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The jury rigging had to be carefully undone, or risked exploding the ship. That is not an indication of great engineering. It is also not an indication of bad engineering - we simply don't know how dangerous the engine was before she jury-rigged it. Therefore, we don't know that she is as good as you claim: the evidence is mixed at best.

GW
    The gnomes were obviously lying in order to inflate the price that they got from the Order. Diplomancy joke or not, you cant just talk somebody into speeding up a process that physically needs to be done at a certain pace.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”