New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Do gnomes or halflings look like children?

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Why are you allowing this? Why are you associating with this person? JUST WHY
    Dude... you gotta learn to accept a world-view other than your own, even when it clashes with your particular morals.

Not everyone has the same notions of political correctness as you.

@gogogome, it's serious insofar as some people get inordinately riled up over being PC. You are the one who is interacting directly with that person and so are the best judge of what is or isn't creepy. There is such a thing as "common sense", even if the internet likes to ignore its existence a lot.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm a bit of a Lolicon myself, we're not pedophiles (MOST of us atleast >_>) we just like cute smaller girls over cow-uddered sacks of fat.

i agree with the 2 strikes, if he tries to be creepy about it, warn him.
    Awesome Cardcaptor Sakura Avi done by AsteriskAmp, PRAISE THEIR ARTISTIC SKILL.

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 89: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The word has a bad stigma attached to it. It's not a big deal unless he makes it creepy though. There is nothing wrong with liking cute things after all.

Actually I personally think it's a bit ridiculous that people get up in arms over what others find attractive. As a random aside, my younger sister was married at age 21 and at the time she looked about 12-14 at the most. Her husband is a big tall lumberjack looking dude and they regularly were mistaken for father and daughter instead of husband and wife (which they sometimes used to creep out people who made the mistake by suddenly making out in public). Anyway, my point is he clearly finds his wife attractive and there is nothing wrong with that because regardless of her looks she is an adult and married.
    Last edited by Chronikoce; 2017-05-21 at 09:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    The word has a bad stigma attached to it. It's not a big deal unless he makes it creepy though. There is nothing wrong with liking cute things after all.

Actually I personally think it's a bit ridiculous that people get up in arms over what others find attractive. As a random aside, my younger sister was married at age 21 and at the time she looked about 12-14 at the most. Her husband is a big tall lumberjack looking dude and they regularly were mistaken for father and daughter instead of husband and wife (which they sometimes used to creep out people who made the mistake by suddenly making out in public). Anyway, my point is he clearly finds his wife attractive and there is nothing wrong with that because regardless of her looks she is an adult and married.
    Personally, I think theres a certain creepiness involved in "i am roleplaying out my own sexual fantasy." Now maybe its completely innocuous and it isn't going to affect the game at all except in his mental picture of whats going on, but... I at least wouldn't be especially comfortable playing with that guy if I knew he was doing that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Personally, I think theres a certain creepiness involved in "i am roleplaying out my own sexual fantasy."
    There are (more than) two ways to look at the Player/Character relationship.

The first is the Player pretending to be the character. This is the default assumption with the idea of "role playing;" here's a role, play it. It's the "I want to be a badass," "I want to be a thief," "Wouldn't it be awesome if I could use magic?" attitude.

The second is the Player rooting for the character. The player doesn't see himself as the character, but it's someone he feels an emotional attachment towards. This is basically the concept of Moe put into a game, and it does not need to be sexual. As we are biologically wired to get attached to cute things (which is why the mascot of the WWF is a panda bear and not a cow), it makes perfect sense for someone approaching the game from this angle to choose a child character; it's very easy to get emotionally involved.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I think teenaged (or the equivalent in Halfling/Gnome years) Halflings and Gnomes would look like children to human eyes, but adult ones couldn't pass for children.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Yeah, I'm inclined towards this view: if you're not going to enjoy playing with the person, don't play with them. And if you're not comfortable with a character concept, you are allowed to say no.
    Totally agree. I don't know what a lolicon is and I don't want to even google this. It must be bad based on reactions here.

8. - Top - End - #38

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Personally, I think theres a certain creepiness involved in "i am roleplaying out my own sexual fantasy." Now maybe its completely innocuous and it isn't going to affect the game at all except in his mental picture of whats going on, but... I at least wouldn't be especially comfortable playing with that guy if I knew he was doing that.
    Doesn't sound good.

But it is different than running a pixie courtesan in an Arduin Grimoire campaign back in the 70s. That was all business! haha

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds like this player is asking to act out a sexual fantasy in your game.

If your game is not congruent with acting out sexual fantasies, then this is a HUGE red flag.

IMHO this is not limited to morally repugnant fantasies, it's about the comfort of everyone else at the table.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNoNose View Post
    Totally agree. I don't know what a lolicon is and I don't want to even google this. It must be bad based on reactions here.
    It's a word that's derived from the term 'Lolita Complex', which is a reference to the novel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov where the narrator romantically and sexually pursues a twelve year old girl. The term has come to refer to highly sexualised depictions of underage girls in certain anime and manga.

In short, it is literally paedophilia.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    AFAICT it's a fetish specific to Anime, so it's not literally pedophilia -- just as enjoying western Romance novels isn't the same as literally enjoying rape -- but it's certainly not socially acceptable in general, and it's certainly a sexual fetish, so it's not going to be welcome in most games.

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    It's a word that's derived from the term 'Lolita Complex', which is a reference to the novel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov where the narrator romantically and sexually pursues a twelve year old girl. The term has come to refer to highly sexualised depictions of underage girls in certain anime and manga.

I didn't even think lolita. I was thinking something to do with lollypops!

13. - Top - End - #43

How do people keep finding these old threads to revive? O.o
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

14. - Top - End - #44

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Frick if I know. What was that guy even searching to stumble upon this thread.

Also, due to the nature of this discussion... this is gonna get locked soooo fast.

15. - Top - End - #45

It's a shame that this thread was necro'ed and is at risk for getting locked because it genuinely gave me some insight on what I had planned for a game.

The original idea was to begin the campaign following the story of two child adventurers, deemed as "chosen" by one of the chief deities of my world and heralded by the empire in which they were born. Strangely enough the deity in question is the most well known one; she is a LG deity of light and protection, with the world itself named after her. So this goddess probably knew what she was doing in choosing to bless two children with her power.

Stories would tell of their exploits as they traveled the world, battled the enemies of the empire. Over time though they would come to understand how truly messed up their world was; the nation with which they warred wasn't the horrific evil they were taught about, the empire itself was arrogant wrought with corruption, and the kids were in fact used as tools to further their own ends. One thing leads to another and one of the children falls in with one of the BBEGs of the world. "I may be bad, but at least I was honest with you. And believe it or not, I do care for your well-being, unlike the wretched leaders of your country."

The campaign itself would involve the party of PCs in the aftermath of the empire being taken over and overwhelmed by evil; evil that the child had wrought following her corruption, with the remaining nations of the world banding together to fight this threat.

16. - Top - End - #46

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    People just don't see the dates... I didn't even realize that this was an old thread until I saw your post. It's actually not that hard of a mistake to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by The_Iron_Lord View Post
    People just don't see the dates... I didn't even realize that this was an old thread until I saw your post. It's actually not that hard of a mistake to make.
    If you must respond to me pointing out the date, do it in a PM rather than bumping the thread again.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Hey, look, thread necromancy.

And, for the record, old threads pop up in search engines. I've encountered old stuff that way. Heck, I've gone looking for old stuff that way. There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2018-02-07 at 04:12 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.