New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hogwarts Redux

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hogwarts Redux

What started as a normal enough school year at Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft & Wizardry has taken some strange turns as of late: while most of the student body is unaware of it, there is a massive prank war brewing between a few dozen irksome troublemakers. Common rooms gaudily decorated another house's color, fireworks that explode and leave glitter everywhere being set off in professors' offices, stealing Dumbledore's chair, only for it to be found later in a girl's bathroom - it's a mess, a giant awful mess. As the weeks go by, though, the insidious intent of the pranksters responsible for some of the bigger mischiefs becomes more and more clear, when prankster after prankster is 'caught in the act' and given a month's detention, despite them always vehemently protesting their innocence...and then the pranks continue unabated. It seems that whoever's responsible for these pranks, the real goal is getting other troublemakers caught and punished.

At this point, many of the more dedicated rebels and ne'er-do-wells of the student body each came to a decision that this needed to stop, before they were the one 'caught' red-handed. On October 31st, a stroke of luck saw many unlucky students caught setting relatively minor pranks; while their punishments were rather light given the circumstances, it gave each of them an idea of who they needed to be keeping an eye on. And so began the Hogwarts Prank War of '98.

Spoiler: Game Rules
    Show
    There are two sides in this game: Pranksters, And Anti-Pranksters. The game is over when one side has all been placed into detention. All players start with at least 10 Magic, a magic specialty, and one item. Magic is how you survive pranks unscathed, and how you avoid getting caught by teachers in a sting; if your Magic is reduced to 0 by any means, you're out of the game.

There will be two phases, Day and Night. During the Day Phase, players can use an item (if they wish) and vote on who they wish to get caught and punished by the teachers, as well as one who they wish to not get caught; at the end of the Day Phase, the player with the most 'caught' votes will get caught by a teacher (having been set up by the rest of you to take the fall), placed in detention, and have their items confiscated, while the player with the most "not caught" votes will have their Magic increased by the number of 'not caught' votes they received.

During the Night Phase, players have three time slots in which to use actions (Dusk, Midnight, and Dawn, respectively). Possible Actions:
    1. Stalking A Student: Select one other player. If that player casts a spell, you learn the spell cast, and the target player; if that player visits a location, you learn the location, and the action taken therein; if that player stalks a student, you learn the player getting stalked.
    2. Visiting A Location: Select one location to visit (detailed below in "Locations") and perform an action from the available options.
    3. Using An Item: Use one item you have.
    4. Casting A Spell: Spend up to 3 Magic to cast a spell (detailed below in "Magic").

Spoiler: Magic
    Show
    A player can sacrifice Magic to cast a spell. Casting a spell at a certain level requires the player to spend magic equal to the spell's level; you cannot spend more than 3 Magic powering a single spell. Higher level spells are more powerful, and occur sooner.

There are four kinds of spells: Hexes, Wards, Curses, and Scries (which is also the order in which they act, Hexes first, Scries last). Hexes screw around with your target's ability to act or vote. Wards assist your target in some way. Curses harm your target in some way. Scries teach you something about your target.

Spell Name Class Type Target Effect
    Paralysis Rune Ancient Runes Hex 1 Target cannot visit locations or stalk students during this time slot; any attempt to do so fails.
    Recording Rune Ancient Runes Scry 2/Level Learn what spells your targets cast during this time slot, and who those spells targeted.
    Explosive Rune Ancient Runes Curse 1 Target's Magic decreases by (Level). This curse cannot be blocked by a Ward.
    Protection Ward Ancient Runes Ward 1 Target's Magic increases by (Level)
    Monitoring Charm Charms Scry 2/Level You are told what location your target(s) visited, and the actions they performed there.
    Confundus Charms Hex 1/Level Target's vote power is increased by 1 for next vote, but also secretly casts a random second vote for each category.
    Obliviate Charms Curse 1 Target's Magic decreases by (Level), and their vote in the next vote doesn't count.
    Sensory Charm Charms Scry 1/Level You are told the last (Level) spells that targeted your target, and who cast those spells.
    Dream Journal Divination Hex 1/Level Targets' vote power is increased/decreased (your choice) by 1 for the next vote.
    Tea Leaves Divination Scry 1/Level You are told "Prankster" or "Non-Prankster" for each target, but only one result is true, and any others are false.
    Crystalgazing Divination Scry 1 You are told target's Magic. You are told their specialty and item count (L2+). You are told their allegiance and special power (L3+).
    Premonition Divination Ward 1 Target's Magic increases by (Level) and is unaffected by the next (Level) non-Ward spells that target them.
    Absorbsion Shield Dueling Ward 1 The target is unaffected by the next (Level) spell(s) that target them. The caster gains +1 Magic for each spell so absorbed.
    Blasting Curse Dueling Curse 1 Target's Magic decreases by (twice Level).
    Tarantellegra Dueling Curse 1/Level Target's Magic decreases by 3, but their votes in the next vote counts for 1 extra.
    Status Spell Dueling Scry 2/Level You are told target's current Magic level, and how many items they possess.
    Felix Felicis Potions Hex 1 Target's vote power is increased by (Level) for the next vote.
    Elixer Of Authority Potions Hex 1 Target's vote power is increased/decreased (your choice) by 1 for the next (Level) votes.
    Remedy Potion Potions Ward 1 Target's Magic increases by (twice Level) and is unaffected by the next non-Ward spell that targets them.
    Poison Potions Curse 1 Target's Magic decreases by (Level). This curse cannot be blocked by a Ward.
    Summoning Spell Transfiguration Ward 1 Target's Magic increases by (Level) and is unaffected by the next (Level) non-Ward spells that target them.
    Switching Spell Transfiguration Hex 1/Level Steal one random item from each target.
    Avis Spell Transfiguration Curse 1/Level Target's Magic decreases by 2.
    Vanishing Spell Transfiguration Ward 1/Level Target's Magic increases by (Level).

Spoiler: Locations
    Show
    Players who visit the same location during the same time slot are informed of each other. Students are informed at the beginning of the Day Phase of whether any students not of their house entered their common room during the Night Phase, and if so, who those students were and what time slot they entered during. Here are the actions that can be taken in each location:
    • Any Location
      • Set A Trap: Spend Magic as normal to cast a spell with a single target. During the next Night Phase time slot (which could be during the next Night Phase), that spell affects each target who enters the area. You cannot be affected by your own trap.

• Common Rooms
      • Rest & Relaxation: Your Magic increases by 2 (only available to members of that house), and you are unaffected by the first non-Ward spell to target you during this time slot.

• Forbidden Forest
      • Harvest: Gain the Rare Ingredients item.
      • Hide Out: Your vote in the next vote doesn't count, but the total votes trying to get you not caught are increased by 2.
      • Stargazing With Centaurs: Your Magic increases by 1. Your vote doesn't count during the next vote, but the next Scry spell you cast counts its level as being 1 lower for the purposes of determining Magic cost. This cannot be stacked with itself.

• Hogsmeade
      • Zonko's: Gain the Prank Supplies item.
      • Hide Out: Your vote in the next vote doesn't count, but the total votes trying to get you caught are decreased by 2 each.
      • Madame Puddifoot's: Gain the Love Potion item.

• Hospital Wing
      • Healing: Your Magic increases by 3.

• Kitchens
      • Prank Assistance: Your vote counts 1 extra during the next vote.
      • Request Protection: The next non-Ward spell to target you fails to affect you.

• Library
      • Borrow A Textbook: For the next three Night Phase time slots, any spell you cast from one Spell Class (chosen at the time this action is taken) counts its level as being 1 lower for the purposes of determining Magic cost. This cannot be stacked with itself.
      • Restricted Section: Your vote doesn't count during the next vote, but the next spell you cast counts its level as being 2 lower for the purposes of determining Magic cost. This cannot be stacked with itself.

• Potions Closet
      • Steal Ingredients: Your vote doesn't count during the next vote, but you gain 2 Rare Ingredients items.
      • Basic Potions: You gain one random Potion item.

Players
    • Drakeburn
    • Duck999
    • Duneyrr
    • Eternis
    • Fin
    • flat_footed
    • GrayDeath
    • Iceseer
    • Indarra
    • Logic
    • Ramsus
    • RoTWS
    • Thematthew
    • Tom the Mime
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2017-05-31 at 01:28 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Hogwarts Redux

Sounds fun, In.
    Internet access is consistent now, but I'm about 17 hours ahead of PST these days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I shall also be in this.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll give it a shot. Are alignments revealed on detention? And does one side start in contact while the other doesn't or is it two virtually identical but opposed teams?
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    I'll give it a shot. Are alignments revealed on detention? And does one side start in contact while the other doesn't or is it two virtually identical but opposed teams?
    Alignment, role name, and special power is revealed upon death. Anti-Pranksters are in cahoots! And some pranksters are maybe also in cahoots, but if they are, certainly not as many.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

This looks like a lot of fun. I want in on this game as well!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll play.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess I'm not in enough games as it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Yessss, I'm in!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

OH GOODNESS YES :D
    So, so in for this.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I'll play.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds weird enough, lets hope it finishes, unlike your other (really fun) Hogwarts WW.

I assume you tweaked some of the problems we stumbled upon last time?

Oh, and I am in. :)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

*falls out of the attic that has been storing my avatar for who-knows how long coughing, spluttering and generaly trying to pretend like the whole thing was deliberate*

Ahem, I haven't done one of these for a while. I'm in
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well I'm no good at this type of game. But in.
    thanks for linkele for my avatar

15. - Top - End - #15
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    Well I'm no good at this type of game. But in.

We've all been where you are. The only cure is to keep playing!

In.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I wish to join.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Alrighty, I'm closing up recruitment. I Should have QTs readu to start within ~24 hours.

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

There's some players that need to clear out their inbox if they wanna get their role PM.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry cleared my inbox.
    thanks for linkele for my avatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, once everybody's responded in their QT, I'll get this show on the road.

My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Anyway, once everybody's responded in their QT, I'll get this show on the road.
    Apologies fro my lack of knowledge on this but what do I have to do with the QT? Just post something/anything?
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just posting in it gives AV the indication that you've received it.
    Internet access is consistent now, but I'm about 17 hours ahead of PST these days.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Also you post your InGame Actions (and eventual questions) there, to avoid InBox-Spammage. :)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

In between classes and meals, several students roam the halls with, while certainly not malicious intent, most certainly not altruistic intent either. The prank war was on!

Day One begins. It shall end in ~72 hours.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

*steals one of Duck999's ducks, making him Duck998*
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-06-09 at 12:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    *steals one of Duck999's ducks, making him Duck998*
    I have a spare duck or two, so I'll give a duck to Duck998, to make him Duck999 again. Besides, everyone knows you are permitted Owls and Ravens at Hogwarts, so think of all the mayhem this could cause!

But I will start a practice duel, and I pick my opponents very carefully. It's best to ensure your opponent is flat_footed before you start.

EDIT: Duck is now green, because I missed some rules in my initial reading when I signed up.
    Last edited by Logic; 2017-06-07 at 01:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Public Announcement regarding specialties, since I've received a lot of questions about it:

When you wish to cast a spell, you spend 1, 2, or 3 Magic to do so, and it has a level equal to the Magic spent. You can cast a spell of any kind, but when you cast a spell from your specialty, it counts as one level higher than it would normally (spending 1 Magic gives you a lvl 2 spell, spending 3 Magic gives you a lvl 4 spell). On top of the additional benefits of casting a spell in a higher level as indicated on the chart, higher level spells take place first when actions are all figured out at the end of the night phase.

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Logic, hiding the evidence will not erase your mistake.

Ramsus has my favor this day.
    Last edited by RoTWS; 2017-06-09 at 12:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoTWS View Post
    Logic, hiding the evidence will not erase your mistake.

Ramsus has my favor this day.
    Hiding evidence? I ADDED stuff. E-mail subscribers would know.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Iceseer shouldn't get caught just now, and we should probably all blame Drakeburn for being out past curfew.