New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Reducing a spells level

I can't think of anything off hand, but does anyone know of a class feature or feat that allows a character to actually reduce the level of a spell.

For example, say I want to reduce the level of Magic Missile from spell level 1 to spell level 0, or Fireball from spell level 3 to spell level 2.

I feel it should be easy enough to whip something up. Maybe have Arcane Thesis (Spell) to be able to reduce the actual level of the spell...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Reducing a spells level

Lower spell slot: not that I know of
    Lower the spell level: sanctum spell
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

+0 metamagic feats+metamagic cost reducers that don't have that clause about not reducing metamagic costs below +0
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    I can't think of anything off hand, but does anyone know of a class feature or feat that allows a character to actually reduce the level of a spell.

For example, say I want to reduce the level of Magic Missile from spell level 1 to spell level 0, or Fireball from spell level 3 to spell level 2.

I feel it should be easy enough to whip something up. Maybe have Arcane Thesis (Spell) to be able to reduce the actual level of the spell...
    Other than metamagic shenanigans, no such thing exists.

IIRC, you can grab spell from other spell list where it is lower, but that's for specific spells.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Sanctum Spell is a possible solution but not what I was hoping for due to the lowered DCs and other variables...

The suggestion for adding +0 metamagics with reducers that don't have a minimum +0 bonus is another good possibility... Could someone give a few of those options?

The last option I see would be to homebrew a feat something along the lines of:

SPELL MASTERY
    You have studied and practiced with a particular spell so much and so intensely that you have figured out how to use less magical energy to cast the spell without reducing it's effects.

Prerequisites: Knowledge (Arcana) 9 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks, and Spell Thesis (Spell), maybe Practiced Caster &/or Spell Focus (spells school)

Benefits: The chosen spell can be prepared and cast as a spell of one level lower than normal. The other benefit of this feat is that it allows a spell to keep it's DCs (if applicable) of a spell of it's normal level. A spell mastered with Spell Mastery may be modified by any other metamagic feat as normal (including Heighten Spell).

For example, if Magic Missile is chosen, it can be prepared and cast as a 0-level spell or cantrip. Likewise, Fireball would be considered a 2nd-level spell instead of a 3rd level spell.

It might be a breakable, but I feel that with it only affecting a single spell, and being so feat and skill intensive, that it shouldn't have too many detractors. The biggest 'abuse' I can see is making a spell like Magic Missile a 0-level spell, and thus, in Pathfinder, it could be used all day long, and at higher levels it out-paces the damage of other 0-level spells... As it should still being a 1st level spell in all ways other than it's actual spell level. The level at which this becomes available will keep it out of the hands of the masses and in the ranks of Hero-level characters anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It would be really hard to balance correctly. A cantrip from the evocation school, ray of frost, requires both a ranged touch attack roll and deals 1d3 cold damage on hit. Having magic missile as a cantrip dealing 1d4+1 force damage with no roll to hit would simply render equivalent spells irrelevant.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    It would be really hard to balance correctly. A cantrip from the evocation school, ray of frost, requires both a ranged touch attack roll and deals 1d3 cold damage on hit. Having magic missile as a cantrip dealing 1d4+1 force damage with no roll to hit would simply render equivalent spells irrelevant.
    At higher levels, cantrips are virtually useless, and even at lower levels for that matter. At he level you're able to get this at, you've got access to 4th level spells, or maybe 5th. You're far exceeding things that you could possibly hope to be doing with a cantrip to begin with at that point. Most cantrips or orrisons you're memorizing or taking are just handy, like Resistance, or Prestidigitation. There are some good 0-level spells, but nothing that will every level.

By spending the time, effort and quite probably money in learning a feat to master a spell by this point should be acceptable. It's a single spell, and go a huge distance to help players that want to play the iconic Force Missile Mage / Abjurant Champion / Wizard (or whatever) that specializes in Magic Missile and Shield, so it would go a long way to make them more viable to allow them to take certain spells and figuring out after spending so much time and practice casting them to learn how to make them easier. Force Missile Mage does this to a small extent, but not really, and should have been boosted a bit because by the time a character's level 20... their abilities are a bit lacking...

Maybe there should be some limitations, such as it can't be used with Wish, and each time it's taken it applies to a new spell? How about the level of spell that can be Mastered in this way is equal to 1/3rd the level of spell they are able to cast. Thus if you can cast 6th level spells, you can only master in this way 1st and 2nd or learning a 0-level as a spell-like ability usable at will? How about including that they must have the selected spell as part of Spell Mastery (just realizing I usurped the feat name *DOW*)?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SPELL MASTERY
    Just going to point out that a feat with that name already exists. It's the one that lets a Wizard prepare some spells without their spell book.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Easy Metamagic (Invisible Spell), and Practical Metamagic (Invisible Spell) if you're a spontaneous caster.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show