New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ignition and Reach (feats)

Enflame Wounds

You have the ability to strike already effected areas on an opponent's body with near-surgical precision; for added pain.

Prerequisites:
    - improved critical, weapon focus (selected weapon)

When attempting to hit a flatfooted/prone/or otherwise 'helpless' enemy who has already been wounded, you may use a light weapon that deals fire damage whilst taking a -4 penalty on both your attack roll and your strength for that round, in order to set said enemy's wounds on fire. A character with enflamed wounds suffers damage as if on fire at an increased number 1d6 per round equal to a rolled percentage of the total amount of hitpoints they've lost in the same day. On every round, there's a 30-50% chance that the character will have to make a fortitude save (completely determined by GM, taking into consideration the amount of fire damage caused upon setting the victim's wounds aflame), or double over and fall prone that round as a result of the pain.
    A will save (as determined by GM), or another effect that removes pain (such as a spell, or autohypnosis) will allow them to continue fighting.

The character/monster with enflamed wounds must also roll an additional fortitude save every second round, or suffer constitution damage equal to the amount of damage they've suffered during that day subracted by their total constitution (temp scores included), divided by their constitution modifier.

A character may make a reflex save to avoid having their wounds set on fire.

A character whose wounds are on fire, cannot stabilize if their hit points are at 0 or below.

Improved Enflamed Wounds

You know your technique for causing pain well... well enough that even a prepared warrior isn't prepared for you.

Prequisites: Enflamed wounds

You may spend one round studying the enemy so that you may ignite their wounds without relying on them being flatfooted or made helpless. The amount of d6's rolled for fire damage dealt upon ignition may now be placed at your character's BAB divided by four, if declared so by the player.

Additionally, medium weapons are now permitted for wound ignition.

Improved Reach

You've got a knack for distance and the relation of an opponent in accordance with your position.

Prerequisites: Weapon focus (selected reach weapon), weapon finesse, dex 15

You may hit an enemy from afar with a reach weapon at a range equal to as if you were one size category larger than your character wielding a weapon of the same size category. The weapon need not be extended, because this feat relies on the flexibility and the ability of the character to take advantage of the environment.

Dreadnaught

Now every fictional character can be like Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in 'The Rundown'! Except you'll be wielding swords and stuff, instead of you know... shotguns.
    - Based off of D20 future

Prerequisites: 22 strength, TWF, Oversized TWF, weapon focus (desired weapon), BAB +6

You may now wield a non-reach weapon that normally requires two hands in either the main hand or the off-hand. The threat range die decreases by 1, and the strength modifier damage is now 1 (rather then the usual 1.5 with a two hand weapon). Additionally, double weapons can be wielded in one hand, however they must be in the offhand to take advantage of their double qualities (along with the fact that you must prove capable of performing 3 attacks).

Snag Weapon

You can snag a weapon from right out of a guy's hands.

Prerequisites: Improved disarm, Mobility, Improved trip, Dex 13, Combat Reflexes

Upon a successful disarm attempt, you may grab and wield an enemy's weapon. The enemy is then forced to make a reflex save agaisnt a reflex roll of your own, upon which point you may make an additional attack upon them as a free action with the weapon you snagged, should they fail the save.

Garrote

The perfect and among the most likely feat of any to appear in an 'assassination for dummies' guide.

Prerequistes: Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike, Improved grapple

You may make a grapple check against a flatfooted, prone, or otherwise 'helpless' character to strangle them. Your character is occupied for every round that it takes to render the victim unconscious (a character may release the chokehold at any time during their turn to take another action). The strangled character must roll against your strength with a strength check of their own should they choose to fight against your attempt. The victim may also fight off other opponents adjacent to them, however they are forced to make a fortitude check that is cut into 1/3 against the strength check of the strangler whenever the strangler continues to garrote them or suffer the usual non-lethal damage for that round equal to your character's total strength, not including lethal damage that may be dealt with the improvised weapon used (or non-lethal damage that is dealt with the strangler's unarmed hands). The victim may also use weapons that they are holding to damage a character that is garroting them, as if they were to attack someone that was grappling them, albeit at a -2 penalty to hit. A successful strength check made against the strangler forces the strangler to make a reflex save, or fall prone.

A critical threat on a D20 roll is automitically gauranteed as a critical hit if your character is garroting. Critical damage is double the total non-lethal damage that your character deals on a garrote for the specific round that a critical threat was scored.

A character may garrote with one hand, however they take a -10 penalty on all checks and rolls made in the process of the garrote with the main hand, and a -14 on an offhand. The two-weapon fighting feat reduces this check similair to when attacking with two weapons, however the -4 penalty always applies on a one-handed garrote and all checks made to damage the victim during a garrote. An additional strength check may be made against a victim's strength check at a +4 bonus to drag the victim that is being garroted. The victim's weight may also be applied on all movements with the garroted victim.

Improvised weapons allowable by the GM (such as durable string, or hemp rope, or even non-improvisable weapons, such as medium and light weapons like quarterstaffs and daggers) make garroting easier and offer a +2 bonus to garroting, in addition to excluding the -2 penalty that is made to touch/hit the opponent with the weapon on a garrote attempt. Improvised weapons may also deal lethal damage rather then non-lethal as if you're character were unarmed (unless you have improved unarmed strike, of course).

The weapon finesse feat allows for your character to make dexterity checks against a victim's strength checks in the process, instead of the usual strength checks.

A victim with uncanny dodge may make a reflex save (albeit without their dexterity mod) to avoid being garroted on that round; upon which point they must then avoid being grappled. A grappled character may be garroted without the victim being able to perform a reflex save to avoid it. Improved uncanny dodge allows the victim to include their dexterity mod in the reflex save to avoid being garroted.
    Last edited by ImpFireball; 2007-08-15 at 10:07 PM.
    Y'know, the chair isn't exactly a chair and it's actually an imp fireball disguised as a chair and if you sit on it, it'll cast 'imp fireball' on you with an imp fireball, or something.

Or wait, maybe that imp fireball happens to actually be a chair disguised as an imp fireball. A chair disguised as an imp fireball disguised as a chair.

Yah.

My City Proverbial reference to my hometown, yo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ignition and Reach (feats)

Quote Originally Posted by ImpFireball View Post
    Enflame Wounds
    How is that physically possible? Blood doesn't burn all that well.

Dreadnaught
    Isn't that the same as Monkey Grip?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't have the books to be honest. And besides, this is D&D dude, so anything's possible if your guy's got the talent.

And doesn't improved critical require like BAB +9? Seeing as among the highest level people in real life are only 5th level, according to some guy's research, then at 9th level, it makes sense to perform the impossible. :D

BTW, you could easily say that magical fire burns blood. :P

And if it isn't burning blood, then it's burning muscle tissue and organs, hence the hideous constitution damage.
    Last edited by ImpFireball; 2007-08-02 at 10:20 AM.
    Y'know, the chair isn't exactly a chair and it's actually an imp fireball disguised as a chair and if you sit on it, it'll cast 'imp fireball' on you with an imp fireball, or something.

Or wait, maybe that imp fireball happens to actually be a chair disguised as an imp fireball. A chair disguised as an imp fireball disguised as a chair.

Yah.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Prerequisites:
    - improved critical, weapon focus (selected weapon)

When attempting to hit a flatfooted/prone/or otherwise 'helpless' enemy who has already been wounded, you may use a light weapon that deals fire damage whilst taking a -4 penalty on your attack roll, in order to set said enemy's wounds on fire. A character with enflamed wounds suffers damage as if on fire at an increased number 1d6 per round equal to a rolled percentage of the total amount of hitpoints they've lost in the same day. On every round, there's a 30-50% chance that the character will have to make a fortitude save (completely determined by GM, taking into consideration the amount of fire damage caused upon setting the victim's wounds aflame), or double over and fall prone that round as a result of the pain.
    A will save (as determined by GM), or another effect that removes pain (such as a spell, or autohypnosis) will allow them to continue fighting.

The character/monster with enflamed wounds must also roll an additional fortitude save every second round, or suffer constitution damage equal to the amount of damage they've suffered during that day subracted by their total constitution (temp scores included), divided by their constitution modifier.

A character may make a reflex save to avoid having their wounds set on fire.

A character whose wounds are on fire, cannot stabilize if their hit points are at 0 or below.
    Okay...first nitpick...HOLY CRAP this feat is complicated. Next...broken? Lets take just one part.

Constitution damage = to the damage they've suffered THAT DAY?!...I mean if this happned to you at the end of a long days fight in a dungeon...that could easily be 200 damage with resting and healing since you can fit 2 rest periods in 24 hours and sitll have plenty of time to fight. That means if, for this example you have 18 Con. 200-18 = 182, 182/4 = 45 CON DAMAGE. So you just died almost 3 times over because of one hit. Yes, they do get a Fortitude save but with Improved Enflame Wounds, that is basically save or die every other round. Next...this seems to be geared toward the fighter types...fighters have basically no magical feats to even think of this. So I have to go with Kurald with that. This feat sounds more like a metamagic feat when something takes fire damage. Finally...how would you not stabilze if your "wounds" are on fire...isn't that cauterizing 101?
    Last edited by olelia; 2007-08-02 at 04:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Agreed with above on all counts, holy crude is that over powered.

Improved Reach
    I think there is an epic feat that does this

Dreadnaught
    This is monkey grip an over powered feat, mixed with improved crit way way overpowered.

Snag Weapon
    This may actual be a good feat I have no issue with it.

Garrote
    There are rules for Garrotes out there and they are a heck of a lot simpler than that.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

O... rly now?

Enflamed wounds or no, let's change it a bit... missing the attack results in the provocation of an attack of oppurtunity on all sides, however the character may drop to the ground and fall prone to avoid them. Additionally, a simple heal check with water can be made to 'cure' someone of the effect.

BTW, simpler rules means simpler outcomes. Can you grab someone and then sneak drag them into a bush to be torn apart by a few assassin buddies laying in wait there, ie.? (not to mention garrote limits speech and calling for help)

I might also add that suffering 200 damage in a single day... barely any character even has that amount of health. As for epic level fighters, For every 50 hit points that a character has as a maximum, that can be their 'bottom zone' of constitution droppage from the enflamed wounds feat. 50 hit points = 3 constitution bottom zone, 100 hit points = 6 consitution minimum, 150= 9, etc...

Perhaps I'll refine it a little. But seriously, complexity only exists to create more odds and outcomes and thus possibilities. I mean, c'mon guys this is AD&D! Players who can stand the core rules eventually put up. Especially those who look into homebrew for added possibilities (which is essentially among the only reasons people turn to homebrew).

Yah.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I might also add that suffering 200 damage in a single day... barely any character even has that amount of health. As for epic level fighters, For every 50 hit points that a character has as a maximum, that can be their 'bottom zone' of constitution droppage from the enflamed wounds feat. 50 hit points = 3 constitution bottom zone, 100 hit points = 6 consitution minimum, 150= 9, etc...
    If you read what I said you can fit in 2 rest periods in 1 day easily, this is kinda determined on how the players play. A fighter that that has a 14 Con and is 8th level (bare minimum for imp crit) takes lets just say average hp each level, 5.5. We'll also say that he has +4 con from enhancements because the cleric/wizard is intelligent and buffs the fighter. Also we'll say that they've been going through the dungeon and this one is a toughy and they've had to walk out twice but each time the fighter still has 20 hp at each return. This being said hes taken 80 points out of his possible 120 total, the +4 doesn't count because that is only during the fight where he will be hit. He gets hit and now has to make a fortitude save. Let's do the math. 80-18 = 62, 62/18 = 15.5, this being said...as soon as that buff spell wears off he dies...Better hope the cleric immiedietly hits him with restoration because in two more round he could easily be hit again because he might fail his save and go prone. I'm not saying its a bad concept I'm just saying its VERY overpowered because on the sheer fact that the damage is based off of the damage he has taken ALL DAY. Maybe if it was changed to just the collective damage he has taken before he has gotten healed. Because in truth there are no wounds to speak of since he was hopefully magically healed which basically means that the wounds never existed...unless this is like the psionic ability recall agony or something where it affects your mind.

Just curious though...why did you say that this is AD&D? Is this supposed to be geared for AD&D?
    Last edited by olelia; 2007-08-02 at 09:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

3.5 is, according to wikipedia AD&D, so yes.

And anyway, I'm horrible at wording things. What I meant was damage that he'd suffered in relation to his max health at that point in time. When I said it was during that day, I essentially ask that the DM take into consideration that specific day, because the person suffering enflamed wounds has what you call 'fresh' wounds that haven't healed and are still all bloody from being wounded that day. So the fighter with 60/80 health or whatever, suffers around 3 constitution damage that can easily be recovered if he's got 14 constitution (18 = 0 constitution damage; 0.5 rounded down, rather then up). He'll have to make a will save + his character level to survive a loss-of-con check when he's only got 3 constitution left. That might overcomplicate things, but then again, no one's ever tried to actually set someone's bruises on fire before. I haven't even taken into consideration slashing damage, which I won't because that's all immediate with damage reduction or whatever else. I might have to do something about people with only a con mod of +1 rather then +2. Perhaps I could subtract the mod as well and then divide with the mod.

Additionally, dungeoneering isn't all that popular these days from I've heard. :P

As for improved reach... the size mod doesn't increase damage, only reach. Treat REACH as if you were one size higher, and as if your weapon was appropriate to that specific size, being one size higher. Let's say you had a spiked chain that was 10'. This feat would somehow allow the M-sized wielder to use the weapon at 15'. I made the feat so that people wouldn't have to be half-ogres to do the spiked chain fighter trick. :P

In fact, I think I'll make it so that improved reach only allows you to specify one reach weapon that can be modified.

It exists for more possibilities, whereas enflamed wounds exists for the attempt at creativity. >_>

Here's another (slightly humorous) feat:

The Crime of Wrist Breakage

Prerequisites: Snag Weapon

On a successful disarm attempt, you may, instead of snagging the victim's weapon, grab a hold of said victim's wrist. The victim must then make a reflex save against your strength check or have his wrist horribly broken. Upon having their wrist broken, the victim suffers non-lethal damage, and must make a fortitude save or spend their turn kneeling in pain, provoking attacks of oppurtunity.
    The victim will no longer be able to hold a weapon, or anything else with the hand of the aforementioned wrist until healed to full health, with a full night's rest, and non-lethal damage fully recovered back to 0.
    Last edited by ImpFireball; 2007-08-03 at 05:54 PM.

Yah.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

And anyway, I'm horrible at wording things. What I meant was damage that he'd suffered in relation to his max health at that point in time. When I said it was during that day, I essentially ask that the DM take into consideration that specific day, because the person suffering enflamed wounds has what you call 'fresh' wounds that haven't healed and are still all bloody from being wounded that day. So the fighter with 60/80 health or whatever, suffers around 3 constitution damage that can easily be recovered if he's got 14 constitution (18 = 0 constitution damage; 0.5 rounded down, rather then up). He'll have to make a will save + his character level to survive a loss-of-con check when he's only got 3 constitution left. That might overcomplicate things, but then again, no one's ever tried to actually set someone's bruises on fire before. I haven't even taken into consideration slashing damage, which I won't because that's all immediate with damage reduction or whatever else. I might have to do something about people with only a con mod of +1 rather then +2. Perhaps I could subtract the mod as well and then divide with the mod.
    Okay!! Now it makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up. I know how sometimes ideas can be hard to articulate. Okay...I still feel the feat is mildy overpowered because rogues can only do 2 STR damage at level 10 or so. So then a rogue could do two STR and 3 Con or so. But regardless the feat is looking a lot more promising now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does that mean you're willing to snag, use or recommend them?

NOTE: I might compile all of this into another thread. Or maybe include a list of feats there so that they're easy to find.

The next thread will be entitled 'Speedy Weapon Feats'.

Yah.