Armor Class 16 (studded leather armor)
    HP 32
    Speed 30 ft, climb 30 ft
    -------------------------
    Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2
    Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +1
    Saving Throws Dex +6, Int +2
    Skills Athletics +4, Deception +3, Intimidation +5, Investigation +2, Perception +1, Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +6
    Tools Thieves' tools +8
    Languages Common, Halfling, Thieves' Cant
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Determination. When the thug makes an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check, it can do so with advantage. Once it uses this ability, it can't use it again until it finishes a short or long rest.
    Fast Hands. The thug can take a bonus action on each of its turns in combat. This bonus action can be used to take the Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Item action, or to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, or to use its thieves' tools to disarm a track or open a lock.
    Second-Story Work. When the thug makes a running jump, the distance it covers increases by 4 ft.
    Sneak Attack. Once per turn, the thug can deal an extra 3d6 damage to one creature it hits with an attack if it has advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. The thug doesn't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and the thug doesn't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
    Actions
    Shortsword (melee) +6: 1d6+4 piercing
    Hand Crossbow (ranged 30/120 ft) +6: 1d6+4 piercing
    Reactions
    Uncanny Dodge. When an attacker it can see hits the thug with an attack, it halves the damage of that attack.

Encounter Composition
    Crimson Tiger Thug *4

XP Award: 1800

------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys are built as Level 5 Rogues. My playtest party wrecked them pretty easily, but I think I kept forgetting to use Determination and Uncanny Dodge during the fight. I could see adding a 5th Thug, though, if other people find this encounter too trivial.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-04 at 10:43 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e

Here are two possible versions of Kulkor Zhul War Adept -- one built more like a PC, one based on the Volo's Guide Hobgoblin Devastator (but still with some alterations). Which one should the Red Hand of Doom go with?

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul War Adept
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
    HP 33
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +4, Wis -1, Cha +1
    Saving Throws Int +6, Wis +1
    Skills Arcana +6, Deception +3
    Initiative +6
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, Draconic
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Power Surge. When the war adept forces multiple creatures to make saving throws against lightning bolt, it can add +2d6 damage to the spell's effect. Once the war adept uses this feature, it can't use it again until it finishes a short or long rest.
    Spellcasting. The war adept is a 6th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The war adept has the following wizard spells prepared:
    Cantrips (at will): chill touch, mage hand, minor illusion, ray of frost
    1st level (4 slots): chromatic orb, detect magic, mage armor*
    2nd level (3 slots): mirror image, ray of enfeeblement
    3rd level (3 slots): lightning bolt
    *The war adept casts this spell on itself before combat begins.
    Actions
    Spear (melee) +2: 1d8 piercing
    Spear (thrown 20/60 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Reactions
    Arcane Deflection. When the war adept is hit by an attack, it gains a +2 bonus to AC against that attack.
    When it fails a Constitution saving throw, it gains a +4 bonus to that saving throw. After using either of these features, it can't cast spells (other than cantrips) until the end of its next turn.

Show
    Armor Class 11 (14 with mage armor)
    HP 45
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +2
    Int +3, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Arcana +5, Deception +2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Arcane Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a damaging spell attack if that target is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin and that ally isn't incapacitated.
    Army Arcana. When the hobgoblin casts a spell that causes damage or that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, it can choose itself and any number of allies to be immune to the damage caused by the spell and to succeed on the required saving throw.
    Spellcasting. The war adept is a 7th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The war adept has the following wizard spells prepared:
    2nd level (3 slots): mirror image, ray of enfeeblement, scorching ray
    3rd level (3 slots): fireball, fly, lightning bolt
    4th level (1 slot): Evard's black tentacles
    Actions
    Quarterstaff (melee) +3: 1d8+1 bludgeoning, or 1d6+1 bludgeoning if wielded in one hand.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice, I'm working on this as well. Unfortunately, I'm building the adventure for 6th and 7th level adventurers so I can't just use your work. Still, there are some fine ideas in here that I will be glad to buff up a bit for my players' higher CR requirements.

4. - Top - End - #34

Mercenary Gold

Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    Small Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
    HP 7
    Speed 30 ft
    Str -1, Dex +2, Con +0
    Int +0, Wis -1, Cha -1
    Skills Stealth +6
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1/4 (50 XP)
    Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
    Actions
    Scimitar (melee) +4: 1d6+2 slashing
    Sling (ranged 30/120 ft) +4: 1d4+2 bludgeoning

Spoiler: Ettin
    Show
    Large Giant
    Armor Class 12
    HP 85
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +5, Dex -1, Con +3
    Int -2, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Skills Perception +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Giant, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Two Heads. The ettin has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.
    Wakeful. When one of the ettin's heads is asleep, its other head is awake.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The ettin makes two attacks: one with its battleaxe and one with its morningstar.
    Battleaxe (melee) +7: 2d8+5 slashing
    Morningstar (melee) +7: 2d8+5 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Goblin *5
    Ettin *2

XP Award: 2450

Like many of the "Elsir War" encounters, there are tons of creative things that could be done to spice this encounter up, but lacking any bursts of creativity, I'm going to translate the monsters involved directly.

In a real campaign, the DM will have to pay attention to when the players are getting bored of facing the same Horde creatures repeatedly and get more creative -- but not until the players have gotten a sense for the makeup of the Horde.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-07-14 at 09:19 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Here are two possible versions of Kulkor Zhul War Adept -- one built more like a PC, one based on the Volo's Guide Hobgoblin Devastator (but still with some alterations). Which one should the Red Hand of Doom go with?

Show
    Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
    HP 33
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +4, Wis -1, Cha +1
    Skills Arcana +6, Deception +3
    Initiative +6
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Power Surge. When the war adept forces multiple creatures to make saving throws against lightning bolt, it can add +2d6 damage to the spell's effect. Once the war adept uses this feature, it can't use it again until it finishes a short or long rest.
    Spellcasting. The war adept is a 6th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The war adept has the following wizard spells prepared:
    2nd level (3 slots): mirror image, ray of enfeeblement
    3rd level (3 slots): lightning bolt
    Actions
    Spear (melee) +2: 1d8 piercing
    Spear (thrown 20/60 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Reactions
    Arcane Deflection. When the war adept is hit by an attack, it gains a +2 bonus to AC against that attack.
    When it fails a Constitution saving throw, it gains a +4 bonus to that saving throw. After using either of these features, it can't cast spells (other than cantrips) until the end of its next turn.

Show
    Armor Class 11 (14 with mage armor)
    HP 45
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +2
    Int +3, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Arcana +5, Deception +2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Arcane Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a damaging spell attack if that target is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin and that ally isn't incapacitated.
    Army Arcana. When the hobgoblin casts a spell that causes damage or that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, it can choose itself and any number of allies to be immune to the damage caused by the spell and to succeed on the required saving throw.
    Spellcasting. The war adept is a 7th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The war adept has the following wizard spells prepared:
    2nd level (3 slots): mirror image, ray of enfeeblement, scorching ray
    3rd level (3 slots): fireball, fly, lightning bolt
    4th level (1 slot): Evard's black tentacles
    Actions
    Quarterstaff (melee) +3: 1d8+1 bludgeoning, or 1d6+1 bludgeoning if wielded in one hand.
    I think I like the Volo version better.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TrinculoLives View Post
    Nice, I'm working on this as well. Unfortunately, I'm building the adventure for 6th and 7th level adventurers so I can't just use your work. Still, there are some fine ideas in here that I will be glad to buff up a bit for my players' higher CR requirements.
    Well in 5e there is not a real need to. You could just use more dudes rather then making them all stronger.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2017-05-28 at 11:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    Well in 5e there is not a real need to. You could just use more dudes rather then making them all stronger.
    Eh... At the very least I'd have to buff up significant NPCs. I don't want a warlord to be one-shot.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, I just saw this. I've actually been running RHoD in 5E for my group for a while now. They're about to head into the stone lion.

A few things that I did differently.

1.) I didn't use Hell Hounds. I find that they've got a pretty good chance of really hurting the PCs if they clump together. That breath weapon is mean at level five. I usually turned the Hell Hounds into two Wargs. This doesn't really apply later, once the demon summing really gets started, and I have Hell Hounds start to appear then.
    2.) That said, I didn't take it easy on my players. I had the first encounter be something like eight regulars, the cleric, two wargs, and the bladebearer. I really wanted to emphasize that the numbers on these guys were a huge threat, even if each of the regulars wasn't a huge threat. This is also the only fight of the day because I don't use random encounters, so it being hard was fine. I gave the bladebearer a few maneuvers and superiority dice in lieu of the martial advantage.
    3.) Jorr was alot weaker in my game. He had survival expertise, a heavy crossbow and about thirteen HP. No actual class levels. I was trying to make sure he didn't upstage the PCs at any point, but I might have made him too weak. Karkillon split him down the middle in one swing and the party ended up burying him at Vraath's keep.
    4.) Hydra was a cakewalk for my party too. The druid summoned up a pack of wolves and it wasn't able to kill them all before the party murdered it from range. I used a MM Hydra, but I have five players.
    5.) My Vraath's keep was similar to yours, but I use Wargs again. Koth had lightning bolt instead of fireball, and a few other small differences. Fight was pretty brutal, and the party druid died. This was even using the goblins from the MM as the riders. They also fought the whole keep at once, after having the shack fall on their heads. Eventually both the party and Koth were out of resources at about the same time as the Manticore neared 1/4 HP. It was probably a coin flip between TPK and victory at that point, but I didn't have Koth or the Manticore willing to risk death for victory. My Vets were also a bit tougher, having about 40 HP each instead.
    6.) Ozzy is interesting, he did a pile of damage to my party with his breath weapon and then went down almost instantly. The fighter action surged and rolled really well though. I also made the Sarge a level five paladin with 50~ HP and a greatsword, but he got beaten by the fighter too. I also had them at level six at this point, and energized with a pile of loot from Vraath's Keep.
    7.) Koth got away from my party and showed up as the boss of this raid. Not much else really changed. Koth got away from them again after a tough battle. For the War Adapt I just pulled the guy from Volo's.
    8.) Easy skirmish is easy. My party killed them in one fireball.
    9.) The thugs are all about terrain. Still, this one should also be really easy.
    10.) The one thing I'd consider is taking Miha into account. She can easily be in communication with the Red Hand if the party doesn't unmask her early. That lead to a much different encounter for Mercenary Gold and Marked for Death for my party.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me about my experiences with this if you're interested.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    A few things that I did differently.

1.) I didn't use Hell Hounds. I find that they've got a pretty good chance of really hurting the PCs if they clump together. That breath weapon is mean at level five. I usually turned the Hell Hounds into two Wargs. This doesn't really apply later, once the demon summing really gets started, and I have Hell Hounds start to appear then.
    The Hell Hounds are pretty tough at Level 5. Is that a reason to actually get rid of them, though? I thought they were intended to be there to show right from the beginning of the adventure that some fiend-summoning is going on within the Hand.

2.) That said, I didn't take it easy on my players. I had the first encounter be something like eight regulars, the cleric, two wargs, and the bladebearer. I really wanted to emphasize that the numbers on these guys were a huge threat, even if each of the regulars wasn't a huge threat. This is also the only fight of the day because I don't use random encounters, so it being hard was fine. I gave the bladebearer a few maneuvers and superiority dice in lieu of the martial advantage.
    Is Marauder Attack the best encounter to emphasize the Hand's numerical danger? That should happen at some point, but I think I like the drama of the players only discovering the Hand's numbers at Cinder Hill.

That said, your encounter sounds reasonable too. Maybe a bit too easy? Did you base the cleric on the Priest NPC stat block too?

3.) Jorr was alot weaker in my game. He had survival expertise, a heavy crossbow and about thirteen HP. No actual class levels. I was trying to make sure he didn't upstage the PCs at any point, but I might have made him too weak. Karkillon split him down the middle in one swing and the party ended up burying him at Vraath's keep.
    I suppose it really all depends how much you want to reward the players for recruiting Jorr. I know at one point my players complained because he didn't have Extra Attack; they weren't worried about being upstaged. Haha.

4.) Hydra was a cakewalk for my party too. The druid summoned up a pack of wolves and it wasn't able to kill them all before the party murdered it from range. I used a MM Hydra, but I have five players.
    Yeah, with 5 players I would definitely upgrade to the MM Hydra.

5.) My Vraath's keep was similar to yours, but I use Wargs again. Koth had lightning bolt instead of fireball, and a few other small differences. Fight was pretty brutal, and the party druid died. This was even using the goblins from the MM as the riders. They also fought the whole keep at once, after having the shack fall on their heads. Eventually both the party and Koth were out of resources at about the same time as the Manticore neared 1/4 HP. It was probably a coin flip between TPK and victory at that point, but I didn't have Koth or the Manticore willing to risk death for victory. My Vets were also a bit tougher, having about 40 HP each instead.
    How did you decide how much HP to give the Veterans? I felt like I was just making up numbers for that. I definitely liked Koth having Fireball instead of Lightning Bolt -- Fireball did most of the damage to the party in my playtest, and I feel like RHoD has plenty of lightning damage attacks (mostly in line shapes) anyway. (War Adepts, Varanthian, Ulwai, Tyrgarun, Kul ...)

Lately I've been thinking that the only way I'll boost Vraath Keep is by giving them some magic items, mostly potions. I may give Koth a Potion of Fly even though he knows the Fly spell, just so he doesn't get shot down by making him lose Concentration.

6.) Ozzy is interesting, he did a pile of damage to my party with his breath weapon and then went down almost instantly. The fighter action surged and rolled really well though. I also made the Sarge a level five paladin with 50~ HP and a greatsword, but he got beaten by the fighter too. I also had them at level six at this point, and energized with a pile of loot from Vraath's Keep.
    Was your Ozzy pretty similar to mine? Mine didn't do much but a breath weapon either, but that was enough. (I guess I rolled pretty well on the breath weapon damage.)

7.) Koth got away from my party and showed up as the boss of this raid. Not much else really changed. Koth got away from them again after a tough battle. For the War Adapt I just pulled the guy from Volo's.
    OK, that's another vote for using the Volo's-based War Adept?

8.) Easy skirmish is easy. My party killed them in one fireball.
    9.) The thugs are all about terrain. Still, this one should also be really easy.
    10.) The one thing I'd consider is taking Miha into account. She can easily be in communication with the Red Hand if the party doesn't unmask her early. That lead to a much different encounter for Mercenary Gold and Marked for Death for my party.
    Miha's what I've worked on most recently. It's difficult to make her a respectable CR 8 when she's so much weaker in 3e, and so focused on illusion/enchantment. How did you get her stats?

Good luck, and feel free to ask me about my experiences with this if you're interested.
    Thank you much! Keep the advice/experiences coming -- or maybe I'll catch up enough that you can use some of my stuff and let me know how it goes. What does your Ghostlord look like?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hell Hounds are pretty tough at Level 5. Is that a reason to actually get rid of them, though? I thought they were intended to be there to show right from the beginning of the adventure that some fiend-summoning is going on within the Hand.

Is Marauder Attack the best encounter to emphasize the Hand's numerical danger? That should happen at some point, but I think I like the drama of the players only discovering the Hand's numbers at Cinder Hill.

That said, your encounter sounds reasonable too. Maybe a bit too easy? Did you base the cleric on the Priest NPC stat block too?
    I changed a bit of the fluff around, so it made more sense for the fiends to show up later. I made it so that Azur Kul needs a huge blood sacrifice to make the ritual work, which will be the battle of brindol. Until then the fiends are minimal. As far as the priest I built a PC Death Cleric 3 and threw that at the party, I hadn't DMed 5E before this so I ended up falling back into 3.5 habits of just giving NPCs class levels for the first few encounters.

TheI suppose it really all depends how much you want to reward the players for recruiting Jorr. I know at one point my players complained because he didn't have Extra Attack; they weren't worried about being upstaged. Haha.
    Yeah, he was supposed to be a (really racist) knowledgeable guy and a good tracker. I was going to use him to help the PCs get to Rhest and give them info about the ghostlord, but his corpse didn't end up helping them much.

How did you decide how much HP to give the Veterans? I felt like I was just making up numbers for that. I definitely liked Koth having Fireball instead of Lightning Bolt -- Fireball did most of the damage to the party in my playtest, and I feel like RHoD has plenty of lightning damage attacks (mostly in line shapes) anyway. (War Adepts, Varanthian, Ulwai, Tyrgarun, Kul ...)

Lately I've been thinking that the only way I'll boost Vraath Keep is by giving them some magic items, mostly potions. I may give Koth a Potion of Fly even though he knows the Fly spell, just so he doesn't get shot down by making him lose Concentration.
    I just made up a number and went with it. As for lightning bolt I specifically used it to make the fight easier, but I also let Koth have Shield and some metamagic. I also liked that my caster and Koth used different blasting spells.

Was your Ozzy pretty similar to mine? Mine didn't do much but a breath weapon either, but that was enough. (I guess I rolled pretty well on the breath weapon damage.)
    Yup. Ozzy was somewhere between the two stat blocks and rolled well on breath weapon damage. It didn't hurt that the whole party failed the save.

OK, that's another vote for using the Volo's-based War Adept?
    I found it works pretty well.

Miha's what I've worked on most recently. It's difficult to make her a respectable CR 8 when she's so much weaker in 3e, and so focused on illusion/enchantment. How did you get her stats?
    I didn't worry about her being a reasonable combat encounter. She's a spy, so I focused all her abilities on disguise and evasion. I'd suggest having her infiltrate the party and having her use sending stones to stay in contact with Ulwai and Kharn/Koth (if alive) to set up Marked for Death. That said, I have a stat block for her.

Spoiler: Miha Serani
    Show

HP: 70
    AC: 13
    Speed: 30, Spider forms 40, with climb
    STR: 8 Dex: 16 Con: 13 Int: 12 Wis: 15 Cha: 19
    Saves: Wis: +5, Cha: +7
    Skills: Bluff: +10, Acrobatics: +6, Stealth: +9, Arcana: +4, Perception +5, Sleight of Hand: +6, Persuasion: +7, Intimidate: +7

ACTIONS:
    Shapeshift: Mira can turn into a half-elf, a tiny spider, or a creature with a humoniod torso and spider body.

Spellcasting:

Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Firebolt, Friends
    1st: Shield, Burning Hands, Sleep, Magic Missile 4 slots
    2nd: Invisibility, Suggestion 2 slots

Can cast Web at will without using a spell slot in half-spider form.

Dagger (Half-Elf and Half-Spider): +6 (1d4+3)
    Bite: (Half-Spider form only) +6 (1d4+3) and DC 14 Constitution save or take 1d10 Str damage and be poisoned.

Miha can Dash, Disengage, or Hide as a bonus action.
    If Miha has advantage or (flanking) she deals and extra 1d6 damage with her melee attack.

I made sure that the players didn't know she had the Cunning Action or the Invisibility.

Thank you much! Keep the advice/experiences coming -- or maybe I'll catch up enough that you can use some of my stuff and let me know how it goes. What does your Ghostlord look like?
    I'll get back to you on the Ghostlord, I built him but haven't run him yet, and I think I'm going to redo his stats before my players encounter him.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, just found this. I'm certainly glad that someone is taking it upon themselves to start converting this beast.

I'll be able to reply in greater detail tomorrow, but I can give you some of the basics in what I've been using (and how it's worked out).

MM Hobgoblins as the basic warriors have been doing alright (mooks anyways), and I've been using slightly buffed versions for the veterans (doubled the hp, increased its stats a little bit).

I did the same thing as you for the Sargeants and the Doom Hand Clerics, except that I gave the cleric martial advantage instead of the smite feature and slightly reworked the spell selection.

Hell hounds, Ogres, Manticores and most basic monsters I basically took wholesale from the MM. I scaled down a hydra a bit for my party (I usually have 5/6 players, so they're actually a level below typical, 4th level at this point) because I was hesitant to throw a CR 8 creature their way. I needn't to have worries, because the dragon sorcerer blasted his way past in two rounds (by blowing all of his sorcery points and a good chunk of his spell slots).

Ozyrrandion was a slightly adjusted dragon- I think that I took a young white and changed a couple things (as the CR was a better fit)? Regardless, he made my players crap their pants when he dropped 3 of them to zero in a single breath weapon (new players, didn't think twice about clustering up). 10d8 poison damage is no joke at 4th level. Ozzie managed to get away, so they'll be seeing him later.

I just made a 6th level bugbear sorcerer for Koth, and gave him the draconic bloodline (red) to enhance his fire spells. He worked out okay- he actually managed to escape the PCs here to re-engage then at Skull Gorge Bridge, where he fell to a lucky crit.

I had to completely homebrew a Greenspawn Razorfiend for our session last night, and it seemed pretty faithful- a little tanky, but able to drop PCs (5th level at this point) if it crit, which it did twice thanks to the expanded crit range I gave it. Built using the DMG guidelines for a CR6 monster and the 3.5e one for basic reference.

I've got prepped stats for Saarvith and Regiarix ready, but my players skipped Rhest for now and are probably going to head baxk within the next week or two. I used a straight Young Black dragon for Regiarix (as the CR matches) and I built Saarvith as a Ranger 7- my group uses the Revised Ranger, so those stats might not be as helpful for you.

For mindbenders, I basically made hobgoblin wizards (enchanter) 6, with Martial Advantage and proficiency in light armour from Volo's Guide. Didn't get the chance to use them yet, but they look alright.

Okay, that was a lot more in depth than I thought I'd go. I can post any stats tomorrow, I don't you're interested.

12. - Top - End - #42

I decided that Captain Soranna's description in the roleplaying encounters didn't match the high-ish Charisma that she had in her stat block, so I re-wrote her without the Charisma or the corresponding Leadership feat. Those are things that are more likely to show up on Captain Ulverth.

I changed a bit of the fluff around, so it made more sense for the fiends to show up later. I made it so that Azur Kul needs a huge blood sacrifice to make the ritual work, which will be the battle of brindol. Until then the fiends are minimal.
    Ah, I've heard of that, but I never thought it was a necessary change myself.

I didn't worry about her being a reasonable combat encounter. She's a spy, so I focused all her abilities on disguise and evasion.
    How much experience is she worth to kill, then? Is it based on her combat strength, or on how much damage she could do behind the scenes? I'm guessing the latter.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I did the same thing as you for the Sargeants and the Doom Hand Clerics, except that I gave the cleric martial advantage instead of the smite feature and slightly reworked the spell selection.
    Mine has a slightly reworked spell selection too. How much martial advantage damage did you give him?

Ozyrrandion was a slightly adjusted dragon- I think that I took a young white and changed a couple things (as the CR was a better fit)? Regardless, he made my players crap their pants when he dropped 3 of them to zero in a single breath weapon (new players, didn't think twice about clustering up). 10d8 poison damage is no joke at 4th level. Ozzie managed to get away, so they'll be seeing him later.
    Uh yeah, 10d8 sounds incredibly brutal. Interesting idea to convert him from a different color of dragon. I'll look at that and see if I want to make any changes to Ozzy based on the White template.

I've got prepped stats for Saarvith and Regiarix ready, but my players skipped Rhest for now and are probably going to head baxk within the next week or two. I used a straight Young Black dragon for Regiarix (as the CR matches) and I built Saarvith as a Ranger 7- my group uses the Revised Ranger, so those stats might not be as helpful for you.
    I'm using the Revised Ranger too. What subclass of Ranger did you go with? I was thinking of keeping the animal companion, since it actually doesn't suck with Revised Ranger, and I thought it would be an interesting enhancement of the fight (since it was pretty much negligible in 3.5e).

For Regiarix, I was thinking of being merciful and toning him down to CR 6 instead of CR 7, since he could potentially be in the same fight as Saarvith, a Mindbender, a Razorfiend, and some giants. I suppose it really depends how much I want to count on the PCs being smart about dividing up the Town Hall encounter into separate fights.

For mindbenders, I basically made hobgoblin wizards (enchanter) 6, with Martial Advantage and proficiency in light armour from Volo's Guide. Didn't get the chance to use them yet, but they look alright.
    My rough draft of the mindbender stuck with Bard rather than Wizard, like the mindbenders in 3.5e. I am concerned, though, that they're a bit one-dimensional, since everything they can do is opposed by a Wisdom Save.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-05-31 at 11:43 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

How much experience is she worth to kill, then? Is it based on her combat strength, or on how much damage she could do behind the scenes? I'm guessing the latter.
    The latter, although I tend to use milestone level-ups for this campaign. Another way to use her, is that if the PCs don't manage to kill or capture her she opens the hole in the wall that leads to Streets of Blood rather than a second Hill Giant Battery.

I'm using the Revised Ranger too. What subclass of Ranger did you go with? I was thinking of keeping the animal companion, since it actually doesn't suck with Revised Ranger, and I thought it would be an interesting enhancement of the fight (since it was pretty much negligible in 3.5e).

For Regiarix, I was thinking of being merciful and toning him down to CR 6 instead of CR 7, since he could potentially be in the same fight as Saarvith, a Mindbender, a Razorfiend, and some giants. I suppose it really depends how much I want to count on the PCs being smart about dividing up the Town Hall encounter into separate fights.

My rough draft of the mindbender stuck with Bard rather than Wizard, like the mindbenders in 3.5e. I am concerned, though, that they're a bit one-dimensional, since everything they can do is opposed by a Wisdom Save.
    I also built Saarvith as a revised ranger, but my PCs managed to isolate him and Reggie and killed them before the main brawl. Saarvith didn't even get a chance to fire his bow. As for the mindbender, I ended up homebrewing something up that doesn't even use PC class levels. It's significantly more dangerous than his 3.5 version. I also did a Greenspwan Razorfiend in the homebrew section here. I was fairly happy with it.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know most of the discussion has moved on from this, but I think that the easy skirmish encounter, you are missing part of the and one of the important ways that it can be interesting rather than a waste of time:

You, the DM know that it is easy, but the players don't. From the players' perspective, it's another Red Hand encounter. And it's one they should blow through without blinking. While that may seem pointless and it doesn't actually pose much of a threat unless you run it on the same day as some more threatening encounters, it does have a number of things that make it interesting and enhance the fun of the campaign as a whole.

1. For the players, they will probably treat the encounter seriously until they win. They don't know it's easy yet. If the hobgoblins are cleverly positioned, using cover, etc it won't be clear that they have no chance until one or two rounds in when the players have killed most of them. A steady diet of speedbumps would be boring but one or two mixed in here and there is not. Indeed, it can break up the monotony of all-out kill-fests.

2. It lets the players strut their stuff a little. In my campaign (which is Pathfinder, not 5e, but the encounter dynamic is not system dependent), nearly every battle has been a knock-down drag out fight and the current joke is that it's not a battle if the wizard hasn't been to negatives at least once. That's fun, but it can get tiring after a bit. Let the pace change a little and this has several effects:

A. It lets the players feel powerful. By the time they get there, they are among the more powerful characters in the vale even if they don't overshadow Immerstal and Lord Jaarmath yet. Let them feel powerful by stomping something that would have made them work several levels ago.

B. It introduces uncertainty to the beginning of encounters. Some encounters are obviously tough, but if there are a few easy ones mixed in, players may decide to start out with some probing attacks to see if they need to go all out or conserve their ammunition/abilities. That dynamic will make future encounters a little more interesting than if it's always, "Pull out all the stops, right away!"

3. It also serves as a reminder to the players that the world doesn't necessarily scale with them. They are better than this easy skirmish. All of the Red Hand are not the elites that they often face. However, the non-scaling sandbox style nature of the encounter is a subtle reminder that there might be encounters that are not scaled in the other direction as well. That realization is supposed to be important when the players deal with the ghostlord since choosing to destroy him rather than negotiate is supposed to be a choice where the players are deliberately taking what they know to be a very risky path rather than assuming that the ghostlord is scaled to their level just like everything else.

16. - Top - End - #46

As for the mindbender, I ended up homebrewing something up that doesn't even use PC class levels. It's significantly more dangerous than his 3.5 version.
    That would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Basilisk View Post
    I know most of the discussion has moved on from this, but I think that the easy skirmish encounter, you are missing part of the and one of the important ways that it can be interesting rather than a waste of time:
    Helping me figure out the purpose of Easy Skirmish is still germane, so thanks for the comments. You make some good points. So, what monsters do you think I should put into the encounter? Just Hobgoblin Regulars? I was thinking of making a Hobgoblin version of the Tribal Warrior NPC stat block, to make it even easier than Hobgoblin Regulars ... and maybe throwing in some straight MM Goblins as well. But there should be something that's a little challenging to spice things up, like the Bladebearer and Hell Hound in the original RHoD. (But the Bladebearer and Hell Hound make it too similar to what I have for Marauder Attack.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

17. - Top - End - #47

Small update: I changed the Kulkor Zhul War Adepts to the version that's similar to the Volo's Guide mage. I also added a table of contents of sorts to the first post.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That would be interesting to see.

Helping me figure out the purpose of Easy Skirmish is still germane, so thanks for the comments. You make some good points. So, what monsters do you think I should put into the encounter? Just Hobgoblin Regulars? I was thinking of making a Hobgoblin version of the Tribal Warrior NPC stat block, to make it even easier than Hobgoblin Regulars ... and maybe throwing in some straight MM Goblins as well. But there should be something that's a little challenging to spice things up, like the Bladebearer and Hell Hound in the original RHoD. (But the Bladebearer and Hell Hound make it too similar to what I have for Marauder Attack.)
    Easy skirmish is EL=party level so it doesn't have to be that easy. I would go with a scaled down version of one of the other encounters. Maybe hobgoblin regulars and an ogre or something. I would want it to look like the other encounters and play like the other encounters, just easier. That way it's not necessarily obvious from the get go that it's an easy encounter and it won't be obvious from the get go that other encounters like it are tougher. Bonus points if it looks like the bait in "Marked for Death."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Draz, if you're (still) interested, here's the statblocks that I've been using/intend to use, along with some personal musings behind them.

Spoiler: Ozyrrandion
    Show
    Large Dragon, Lawful Evil
    Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
    HP 133
    Speed 40 ft, swim 40ft, fly 80ft
    Str +4, Dex +0, Con +4
    Int +2, Wis +0, Cha +1
    Saving Throws Dex +3, Con +7, Wis +3, Cha +4
    Senses blindsight 30ft, darkvision 120ft, passive perception 16
    Skills Deception +5, Perception +6, Stealth +3
    Damage Immunities poison
    Condiditon Immunities poisoned
    Languages Common, Draconic
    CR 6 (2300 XP)
    Amphibious Ozyrrandion can breathe air and water.
    Innate Spellcasting The dragon's spellcasting ability is Charisma (Spell save DC 12). The dragon can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    1/day: gust of wind
    Actions
    Multiattack. Ozyrrandion makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.
    Bite (melee) +7: 2d10+4 piercing plus 1d8 poison, reach 10ft
    Claw (melee) +7: 2d6+4 slashing
    Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6) 30ft cone, DC15 Constitution saving throw or take 45 (10d8) poison damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful save.

So I've checked it out, and I did base it pretty heavily off of the Young White, which checks out at a CR 6 monster. I've added Innate Spellcasting because I'm still a 3.5e at heart, and gust of wind seemed fitting.

Spoiler: Regiarix
    Show
    Large Dragon, Chaotic Evil
    Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
    HP 150
    Speed 40 ft, swim 40ft, fly 80ft
    Str +4, Dex +2, Con +3
    Int +1, Wis +0, Cha +2
    Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +6, Wis +3, Cha +5
    Senses blindsight 30ft, darkvision 120ft, passive perception 16
    Skills History +4, Perception +6, Stealth +6
    Damage Immunities acid
    CR 7 (2900 XP)
    Amphibious Regiarix can breathe air and water.
    Innate Spellcasting The dragon's spellcasting ability is Charisma (Spell save DC 13). The dragon can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    1/day: ensnaring strike, heat metal
    Actions
    Multiattack. Regiarix makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.
    Bite (melee) +7: 2d10+4 piercing plus 1d8 acid, reach 10ft
    Claw (melee) +7: 2d6+4 slashing
    Acid Breath (Recharge 5-6) 30ft line, DC13 Dexterity saving throw or take 50 (11d8) acid damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful save.

Regiarix is basically straight out of the MM except for his skills and spells. I tend to give black dragons History because it even calls out in the MM description how much they value historical artifacts. He's gone up against adventurers before, so he knows of some of their common weaknesses versus him. Hence ensnaring strike which could help root a problematic foe, and heat metal, which is useful against arms and armor.

Spoiler: Greenspawn Razorfiend
    Show
    Large Monstrosity, Lawful Evil
    Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
    HP 130
    Speed 50 ft, swim 50ft
    Str +4, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +1, Cha +1
    Saving Throws Dex +5, Wis +4
    Senses darkvision 90ft, passive perception 14
    Skills Perception +4, Stealth +5
    Damage Immunities poison
    Condiditon Immunities poisoned
    CR 6 (2300 XP)
    Amphibious A greenspawn razorfiend can breathe air and water.
    Mobile A greenspawn razorfiend can take the Dash or Disengage action on it's turn as a bonus action.
    Actions
    Multiattack. A greenspawn razorfiend makes three attacks: two with its' wingblades and one with its' bite
    Wingblade (melee) +7: 2d8+4 slashing plus 1d8 poison; crit. 19-20
    Bite (melee) +7: 1d10+4 piercing
    Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6) 20ft cone, DC15 Constitution saving throw or take 24 (6d6) poison damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful save.

So this is my take on a CR 6 Greenspawn Razorfiend - it proved to be pretty deadly, dropping both my Paladin tank and Ranger archer with a pair of crits. Bonus action Disengage isn't quite equivalent with the Spring Attack chain of feats in 3.5e, but its undoubtedly effective. I don't know how I feel about the breath weapon, given how many dragons there are already in this campaign (in addition to the Hell Hounds), but I was trying to pretty faithfully reproduce the original.

Spoiler: Wyrmlord Saarvith
    Show
    Small Humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
    Armor Class 16 (leather)
    HP 80
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2
    Int +0, Wis +2, Cha +0
    Saving Throws Str +3, Dex +8
    Skills Acrobatics +8, Perception +4, Stealth +8, Survival +4
    Senses darkvision 60ft, passive perception 15
    Languages Common, Goblin
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Nimble Escape Saarvith can use the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on his turn
    Natural Explorer Saarvith gets advantage on attacks against foes who haven't acted yet in the first round of combat, as well as advantage on Initiative checks and the ability to ignore difficult terrain.
    Favored Enemy Saarvith deals an additional +4 damage to creatures of the humanoid type
    Greater Favored Enemy Saarvith deals an additional +4 damage to creatures of the aberration type
    Fighting Style Archery; adds +2 to all ranged weapon attacks rolls
    Hunter's Prey Colossus Slayer; once per turn Saarvith may deal an additional 1d8 damage to a creature already below it's hit point maximum
    Defensive Tactics Multiattack Defense; when a creature hits you with an attack, you gain a +4 bonus to AC against subsequent attacks by that creature for the rest of the turn
    Spellcasting Saarvith is a 7th level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (Spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). Saarvith knows the following ranger spells:
    1st level (4 slots): ensnaring strike, hail of thorns, hunter's mark
    2nd level (3 slots): pass without trace, spike growth
    Actions
    Multiattack. Saarvith makes two shortbow attacks, or two scimitar attacks
    Shortbow +1 (ranged 80/320 ft) +11: 1d6+6 piercing; 1d6+10 piercing if the target is a Humanoid or an Aberration
    Scimitar (melee) +8, 1d6+5 slashing; 1d6+9 slashing if the target is a Humanoid or an Aberration

So I made Saarvith a 7th level ranger (Hunter Conclave) because I did want him to be able to work as he was originally intended, that being mounted on top of his dragon friend. Given how mounted combat works in 5e, I decided that giving him the Mounted Combatant feat would likely be overkill, and instead pushed his Dexterity to 20. He's got some support/offensive spells, and he'll probably drop at least one of my players to 0 if they aren't careful.

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul Mindbender
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid), lawful evil
    Armor Class 14 (studded leather armor)
    HP 50
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +3, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Saving Throws Int +6, Wis +4
    Skills Arcana +6, Deception +3, Insight +4, Persuasion +3
    Senses darkvision 60ft, passive perception 11
    Languages Common, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Arcane Advantage Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 7 (2d6) damage to a creature it hits with a damaging spell attack if that target is within 5ft of an ally of the hobgoblin and that ally isn't incapacitated.
    Army Arcana When the hobgoblin casts a spell that causes damage or that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, it can choose itself and any number of allies to be immune to the damage caused by the spell and to succeed on the required saving throw.
    Spellcasting A kulkor zhul mindbender is a 6th level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (Spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). A kulkor zhul mindbender has the following spells prepared:
    Cantrips (at will): chill touch, friends, frostbite, message
    1st level (4 slots): alarm, color spray, grease, magic missile
    2nd level (3 slots): cloud of daggers, crown of madness, phantasmal force
    3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, melf's minute meteors
    Actions
    Rapier (melee) +5, 1d8+2 piercing
    Reactions
    Instinctive Charm When a creature within 30ft makes an attack roll against a kulkor zhul mindbender, they may use their reaction to force the attacker to attack the nearest creature that isn't the attacker or the mindbender (DC 14 Wisdom saving throw negates). If there is multiple creatures within range, the attacker chooses a target. this ability can be used multiple times against the same foe until it successfully saves; at that point, it may not be used on it again until the mindbender completes a long rest.

So here we come to my version of the Mindbender. I chose a wizard (enchanter) for a couple of reasons:
    • I was getting armor anyways from the hobgoblin race (VGtM), so that got the armored requirement out of the way
    • Instinctive Charm is just too awesome to not use - and it's a use for it's Reaction, which it otherwise wouldn't use.
    • I feel like manipulative hobgoblins would be smarter rather than more charismatic, but that's entirely my own opinion, so YMMV.

I think that that's all that I've got for now - I can continue updating this as I go, if you wish.

EDIT: Also, my Soranna was a Paladin (Crown) 3/Fighter (Purple Dragon Knight) 3. Let me know if you want her as well.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, here's my take on the mindbender. He should be about CR 8.

Spoiler: Mindbender
    Show

HP: 122
    AC: 15
    Speed: 30 ft

Str: 10 Dex: 14 Con: 15 Int: 19 Wis: 8 Cha 10
    Saves: Int+7, Wis: +2

Actions:

Dominate Person
    : The mindbender can cast dominate person as a fifth level spell once per day with a save DC of 15.

Charm Monster: The mindbender can cast Charm Monster as a fourth level spell five times a day with a save DC of 15.

Bend the Weak Mind: The mindbender can immediately gain control of one creature and force them to take once action. If they have not already used their reaction it is expended. This can be negated by a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw. This counts as a third level spell for all purposes.

Befuddle the Senses: As a bonus action the mindbender can cause the target to act as if under the effects of the spell confusion until the end of its next turn. This effect can be negated by a DC 15 Intelligence save from the target. This counts as a cantrip for all purposes.

Firebolt: +7 2d10 fire damage.

Whip: +3 1d4+2 slashing damage.

Reactions:

The mindbender can cast counterspell as a third level spell once per day.

The mindbender can cast shield as a first level spell four times per day.
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2017-06-02 at 12:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

The Not-So-Sick Spy

Spoiler: Miha Serani
    Show
    Medium Monstrosity (shapechanger)
    Armor Class 13 (15 with mage armor)
    HP 95
    Speed 50 ft, climb 40 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +2, Wis +1, Cha +4
    Saving Throws Con +5, Cha +7
    Skills Arcana +5, Athletics +3, Deception +10, Intimidation +7, Perception +4, Persuasion +7, Stealth +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Sylvan, Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Orc, Thieves' Cant
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Cunning Action. Miha can take a bonus action on each of her turns in combat. This bonus action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
    Spider Climb. Miha can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
    Spellcasting. Miha is a 7th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). She knows the following spells:
    Cantrips (at will): acid splash, friends, mage hand, message, minor illusion
    1st level (4 slots): charm person, disguise self, mage armor,* shield, Tasha's hideous laughter
    2nd level (3 slots): invisibility, suggestion
    3rd level (3 slots)
    4th level (1 slot): greater invisibility
    *Miha casts this spell on herself before combat begins.
    Actions
    Shapechanger. Miha can polymorph into a specific Medium half-elf or a Medium spider-half-elf hybrid or a Tiny spider, or back into her true form (that of a Medium monstrous spider). In half-elf form, her Speed is reduced to 30 ft, she cannot use her climb speed, her spider climb ability, or her bite or web attacks. In hybrid form, her spider-like nature can either be obvious or obscured; if obscured, it requires a DC 18 Perception check to spot. In Tiny spider form, her Speed is reduced to 20 ft, her Climb speed is reduced to 20 ft, and she cannot cast spells or use her bite or web attacks. Otherwise, her statistics (other than size) are the same in each form. Any equipment she is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. She doesn't change form if she dies.
    Bite (melee) +5: 1d8+2 piercing + 1d8 poison. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
    Web (Recharge 5-6) (ranged 30/60 ft, one Large or smaller creature) +5: The creature is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained creature can make a DC 13 Strength check, escaping from the webbing on a success. The effect ends if the webbing is destroyed. The webbing has AC 10, 15 hit points, resistance to bludgeoning damage, and immunity to poison and psychic damage.

Encounter Composition
    Miha Serani

XP Award: 3900
    The XP Award should be adjusted based on how much damage Miha is prevented from doing to the defense of Elsir Vale. Merely defeating her in combat is only worth 1800 XP (e.g. if she's already done maximum damage as a spy). The full award of 3900 XP should be granted if she is caught just after the PCs meet her, before she can do anything nefarious. Intermediate outcomes can lead to intermediate XP Awards.

Since 5e doesn't have an Aranea stat block yet, and Miha really can't just be built using PC rules, I was kind of winging it with this stat block, just combining PC levels with a shapechanging Ettercap and hoping that it ended up being a good CR. Thanks to Lord Ruby for his stat block for ideas.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-04 at 10:46 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

22. - Top - End - #52

Barghest Reavers

Spoiler: Barghest
    Show
    Large Fiend (shapechanger)
    Armor Class 17
    HP 90
    Speed 60 ft
    Str +4, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +1, Cha +2
    Skills Deception +4, Intimidation +4, Perception +5, Stealth +4
    Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning/piercing/slashing from nonmagical attacks
    Immunities acid, poison; poisoned
    Senses blindsight 60 ft, darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Infernal, Goblin, Worg, Common
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Shapechanger. The barghest can use its action to polymorph into a Small goblin or back into its true form. In goblin form, its Speed is reduced to 30 ft, and it cannot use its bite attack. Otherwise, its statistics (other than size) are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. The barghest reverts to its true form if it dies.
    Fire Banishment. When the barghest starts its turn engulfed in flames that are at least 10 feet high or wide, it must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or be instantly banished to Gehenna. Instantaneous bursts of flame (such as a red dragon's breath or a fireball spell) don't have this effect on the barghest.
    Keen Smell. The barghest has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
    Innate Spellcasting. The barghest's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12). The barghest can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    At will: levitate, minor illusion, pass without trace
    1/day each: charm person, dimension door, suggestion
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +6: 2d8+4 piercing
    Claws (melee) +6: 1d8+4 slashing

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Regular
    Show
    Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
    HP 11
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +3: 1d8+1 slashing, or 1d10+1 slashing if wielded in two hands.
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Barghest *3
    Hobgoblin Regular *6

XP Award: 3900

The barghest is minimally altered from its stat block in Volo's, partly so that I'm not posting copyrighted material unchanged.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-07 at 10:43 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thank you so much for doing this, now I can run the adventure without doing any work!
    Last edited by Wampyr; 2017-06-05 at 10:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, how were you planning on doing treasure? Red Hand of Doom is a 3.5 module, and so there are a lot of magic items scattered throughout. That isn't the base assumption of 5E, so dealing with that becomes interesting. Personally, I left most of the magic items in (though I homebrewed most of it because I love doing it), and just made the encounters a little harder, but I could see it going the other way. Either way though, treasure should be taken into account when designing stat blocks.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

So my crew is playing tonight, and I've been thinking over this Enchanter vs. Bard thing. I had some time this afternoon, so I made up a Bard version. I honestly cannot decide which I like better.

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul Mindbender (Enchanter)
    Show
    HP 50
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +3, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Languages Common, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Arcane Advantage Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 7 (2d6) damage to a creature it hits with a damaging spell attack if that target is within 5ft of an ally of the hobgoblin and that ally isn't incapacitated.
    Army Arcana When the hobgoblin casts a spell that causes damage or that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, it can choose itself and any number of allies to be immune to the damage caused by the spell and to succeed on the required saving throw.
    Spellcasting A kulkor zhul mindbender is a 6th level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (Spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). A kulkor zhul mindbender has the following spells prepared:
    Actions
    Reactions
    Instinctive Charm When a creature within 30ft makes an attack roll against a kulkor zhul mindbender, they may use their reaction to force the attacker to attack the nearest creature that isn't the attacker or the mindbender (DC 14 Wisdom saving throw negates). If there is multiple creatures within range, the attacker chooses a target. this ability can be used multiple times against the same foe until it successfully saves; at that point, it may not be used on it again until the mindbender completes a long rest.

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul Mindbender (Bard)
    Show
    Armor Class 15 (breastplate)
    HP 64
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +1, Con +2
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +3
    Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis +6
    Skills Athletics +5, Deception +9, Insight +4, Persuasion +9
    Languages Common, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Bardic Inspiration (d8) Once per turn as a bonus action, the mindbender can give one creature that can hear it within 60ft a Bardic Inspiration die. They can add it to an ability check, attack roll, weapon damage roll or saving throw within the next 10 minutes after they've rolled the die, but before they know the result. They can alternatively use a reaction to add that die to their Armor Class against a single attack, before the result is known but after the die is cast. A mindbender can use this ability 3 times before needing to take a short or long rest.
    Jack of All Trades A kulkor zhul mindbender can add +1 to any ability check that doesn't already include his proficiency bonus.
    Countercharm A kulkor zhul mindbender can, as an action, give advantage to saves against being frightened or charmed to all allies within 30ft. This performance lasts until the start of his next turn. This benefit ends if the mindbender is incapacitated, or if their allies can no longer hear his performance.
    Multiattack A kulkor zhul mindbender can make 2 longsword attacks when taking the Attack action.
    Spellcasting A kulkor zhul mindbender is a 7th level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Charisma(Spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). A kulkor zhul mindbender knows the following spells:
    Cantrips (at will): message, prestidigitation, vicious mockery
    1st level (4 slots): bane, faerie fire, healing word, tasha's hideous laughter
    2nd level (3 slots): crown of madness, invisibility, phantasmal force, zone of truth
    3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, stinking cloud
    4th level (1 slot):
    Actions
    longsword (melee) +5, 1d8+2/1d10+2 slashing (versatile weapon)

This version is actually a 7th level bard (Valor). It works pretty nicely too.

Opinions?

26. - Top - End - #56

Oh, how were you planning on doing treasure? Red Hand of Doom is a 3.5 module, and so there are a lot of magic items scattered throughout. That isn't the base assumption of 5E, so dealing with that becomes interesting. Personally, I left most of the magic items in (though I homebrewed most of it because I love doing it), and just made the encounters a little harder, but I could see it going the other way. Either way though, treasure should be taken into account when designing stat blocks.
    Ideally, I'd like to spell out a 5e-appropriate amount of magic items to be the adventure's treasure. However, I'm not sure exactly what "a 5e-appropriate amount" IS exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    So my crew is playing tonight, and I've been thinking over this Enchanter vs. Bard thing. I had some time this afternoon, so I made up a Bard version. I honestly cannot decide which I like better.

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul Mindbender (Enchanter)
    Show
    HP 50
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +3, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Languages Common, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Actions
    Reactions

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul Mindbender (Bard)
    Show
    Armor Class 15 (breastplate)
    HP 64
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +1, Con +2
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +3
    Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis +6
    Skills Athletics +5, Deception +9, Insight +4, Persuasion +9
    Languages Common, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Bardic Inspiration (d8) Once per turn as a bonus action, the mindbender can give one creature that can hear it within 60ft a Bardic Inspiration die. They can add it to an ability check, attack roll, weapon damage roll or saving throw within the next 10 minutes after they've rolled the die, but before they know the result. They can alternatively use a reaction to add that die to their Armor Class against a single attack, before the result is known but after the die is cast. A mindbender can use this ability 3 times before needing to take a short or long rest.
    Jack of All Trades A kulkor zhul mindbender can add +1 to any ability check that doesn't already include his proficiency bonus.
    Countercharm A kulkor zhul mindbender can, as an action, give advantage to saves against being frightened or charmed to all allies within 30ft. This performance lasts until the start of his next turn. This benefit ends if the mindbender is incapacitated, or if their allies can no longer hear his performance.
    Multiattack A kulkor zhul mindbender can make 2 longsword attacks when taking the Attack action.
    Spellcasting A kulkor zhul mindbender is a 7th level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Charisma(Spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). A kulkor zhul mindbender knows the following spells:
    Cantrips (at will): message, prestidigitation, vicious mockery
    1st level (4 slots): bane, faerie fire, healing word, tasha's hideous laughter
    2nd level (3 slots): crown of madness, invisibility, phantasmal force, zone of truth
    3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, stinking cloud
    4th level (1 slot):
    Actions
    longsword (melee) +5, 1d8+2/1d10+2 slashing (versatile weapon)

This version is actually a 7th level bard (Valor). It works pretty nicely too.

Opinions?
    I'm probably too late, but out of these I like the Enchanter though. Neither of them seems as purely "mind-bender" focused as the original, though.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm in the middle of an this campaign with my buddies myself (5e of course)! I'm a player myself though so I haven't actually read a lot of the info you made because I don't want to spoil future encounters for myself. I highly recommend the red hand of doom though cause I'm having a blast with it, so keep up the good work :)

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstick View Post
    I'm in the middle of an this campaign with my buddies myself (5e of course)! I'm a player myself though so I haven't actually read a lot of the info you made because I don't want to spoil future encounters for myself. I highly recommend the red hand of doom though cause I'm having a blast with it, so keep up the good work :)
    Have fun! I don't suppose your DM is on these forums?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

29. - Top - End - #59

Marked for Death

Show
    HP 11
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +3: 1d8+1 slashing, or 1d10+1 slashing if wielded in two hands.

Spoiler: Ogre
    Show
    Large Giant
    Armor Class 11
    HP 59
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +4, Dex -1, Con +3
    Int -3, Wis -2, Cha -2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Giant, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Actions
    Greatclub (melee) +6: 2d8+4 bludgeoning
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +4: 2d6+4 piercing

Spoiler: Barghest
    Show
    Large Fiend (shapechanger)
    Armor Class 17
    HP 90
    Speed 60 ft
    Str +4, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +1, Cha +2
    Skills Deception +4, Intimidation +4, Perception +5, Stealth +4
    Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning/piercing/slashing from nonmagical attacks
    Immunities acid, poison; poisoned
    Senses blindsight 60 ft, darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Infernal, Goblin, Worg, Common
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Shapechanger. The barghest can use its action to polymorph into a Small goblin or back into its true form. In goblin form, its Speed is reduced to 30 ft, and it cannot use its bite attack. Otherwise, its statistics (other than size) are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. The barghest reverts to its true form if it dies.
    Fire Banishment. When the barghest starts its turn engulfed in flames that are at least 10 feet high or wide, it must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or be instantly banished to Gehenna. Instantaneous bursts of flame (such as a red dragon's breath or a fireball spell) don't have this effect on the barghest.
    Keen Smell. The barghest has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
    Innate Spellcasting. The barghest's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12). The barghest can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
    At will: levitate, minor illusion, pass without trace
    1/day each: charm person, dimension door, suggestion
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +6: 2d8+4 piercing
    Claws (melee) +6: 1d8+4 slashing

Spoiler: Blackspawn Raider
    Show
    Medium Monstrosity
    Armor Class 15
    HP 105
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +2, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha -1
    Skills Perception +3, Stealth +5, Survival +5
    Immunities acid
    Senses blindsight 10 ft, darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Draconic, Common
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Actions
    Multiattack. The blackspawn makes two weapon attacks.
    Scimitar (melee) +5: 1d6+3 slashing
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +5: 1d6+3 piercing
    Acid Breath (Recharge 5-6, 15-ft line): 5d8 acid (Dex DC 13 half)

Encounter Composition
    Hobgoblin Regular *5
    Ogre
    Barghest *2
    Blackspawn Raider *4

XP Award: 7550

5e seems to have done away with having "Greater" Barghests be a thing. They were only 1 CR higher anyway. So I just re-used regular Barghests.

My Blackspawn Raiders are CR 4 by the numbers, but I'm afraid they might be a pretty easy CR 4, and also boring (not much for special abilities, sacks of lots of HP). Are there any great special abilities I should be giving them that thematically fit the 3.5e original monster?

This encounter definitely needs playtesting to make sure it's difficult as advertised. Not one you want to whiff. The XP budget seems to indicate that it should be Deadly indeed, but I don't trust it. The ambush conditions and the raiders' to-the-death fanaticism should help.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-07 at 11:05 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

30. - Top - End - #60

Captured!

Show
    HP 11
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Actions

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Sergeant
    Show
    Armor Class 17 (half plate)
    HP 39
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +0, Cha +1
    Skills Intimidation +3
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 3d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The hobgoblin makes two greatsword attacks.
    Greatsword (melee) +4: 2d6+2 slashing
    Javelin (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Leadership. For 1 minute after activating this feature, the sergeant can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the sergeant. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the sergeant is incapacitated. Once the sergeant activates this feature, it must finish a short or long rest before it can use it again.

Spoiler: Worg
    Show
    Large Monstrosity
    Armor Class 13
    HP 26
    Speed 50 ft
    Str +3, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int -2, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Skills Perception +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Worg, Goblin
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Smell. The worg has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +5: 2d6+3 piercing, and if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Spoiler: Goblin Wolf Rider
    Show
    Small Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 13
    HP 16
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Athletics +2, Nature +2, Perception +5, Stealth +7, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The wolf rider has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The wolf rider makes two melee attacks or two ranged attacks.
    Shortsword (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Shortbow (ranged 80/320 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Hobgoblin Regular *4
    Hobgoblin Sergeant *2
    Worg
    Goblin Wolf Rider "Lupe"

XP Award: 2000

I never noticed before how easy the "Captured!" escape encounter really is. Oh well, I guess that's intentional in an effort to move the story along after a big PC blunder.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note: