New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e

Into the Horde

Encounter Composition
    To be filled out later, since it's going to be a lot of copypasta from other encounters.

XP Award:
    Irrelevant. There's no way your players are beating this encounter, and if they do, just keep throwing more stuff at them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Like Massacre at Drellin's Ferry, this encounter is intended to be unbeatable. Since nobody's actually going to run the encounter with thousands of individual hobgoblin soldiers being tracked ... I'm not sure I want to translate it directly. Should I just make the Encounter Composition something sane for the DM to actually run, while still numerous enough that the PCs stand no chance?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

2. - Top - End - #62

Blackfens Random Encounters

Encounter #1 (500 XP)
    Stirge *20

Spoiler: Stirge
    Show
    Tiny Beast
    -------------------------
    Armor Class 14
    HP 2
    Speed 10 ft, fly 40 ft
    Str -3, Dex +3, Con +0
    Int -4, Wis -1, Cha -2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages n/a
    CR 1/8 (25 XP)
    Actions
    Blood Drain (melee) +5: 1d4+3 piercing, and the stirge attaches to the target. While attached, the stirge doesn't attack. Instead, at the start of each of the stirge's turns, the target loses 1d4+3 hit points due to blood loss. The stirge can detach itself by spending 5 feet of its movement. It does so after it drains 10 hit points of blood from the target or the target dies. A creature, including the target, can use its action to detach the stirge.

Like the Stirge random encounter in the Witchwood, it is kind of crucial that the stirges start out already surrounding the party at the start of the encounter. Also like that previous encounter, it may turn out pretty easy in spite of the enemy's numbers.

Encounter #2 (1200 XP)
    Harpy *6

Spoiler: Harpy
    Show
    Medium Monstrosity
    Armor Class 11
    HP 38
    Speed 20 ft, fly 40 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int -2, Wis +0, Cha +1
    Languages Common
    CR 1 (200 XP)
    Actions
    Multiattack. The harpy makes two attacks: one with its claws and one with its club.
    Claws (melee) +3: 2d4+1 slashing
    Club (melee) +3: 1d4+1 bludgeoning
    Luring Song. The harpy sings a magical melody. Every humanoid and giant within 300 feet of the harpy that can hear the song must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed until the song ends. The harpy must take a bonus action on its subsequent turns to continue singing. It can stop singing at any time. The song ends if the harpy is incapacitated.
    While charmed by the harpy, a target is incapacitated and ignores the songs of other harpies. If the charmed target is more than 5 feet away from the harpy, the target can take the Dash action on its turn to move toward the harpy by the most direct route. It doesn't avoid opportunity attacks, but before moving into damaging terrain, such as lava or a pit, and whenever it takes damage from a source other than the harpy, a target can repeat the saving throw. A creature can also repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If a creature's saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it.
    A target that successfully saves is immune to this harpy's song for the next 24 hours.

Just as the MM suggests, make sure there's some quicksand or something between the harpies and the party at the start of the encounter. With the harpies working together (targeting different PCs each, not attacking each other's victims), I think this encounter could actually be quite dangerous.

Encounter #3 (1050 XP)
    Lizardfolk *6
    Lizardfolk Shaman

Spoiler: Lizardfolk
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (lizardfolk)
    Armor Class 15 (shield)
    HP 22
    Speed 30 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +0, Con +1
    Int -2, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Draconic
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Hold Breath. The lizardfolk can hold its breath for 15 minutes.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The lizardfolk makes two melee attacks, each one with a different weapon.
    Bite (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Heavy Club (melee) +4: 1d6+2 bludgeoning
    Spiked Shield (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Javelin (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +4: 1d6+2 piercing

Spoiler: Lizardfolk Shaman
    Show
    Armor Class 13
    HP 27
    Speed 30 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +0, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -1
    Skills Perception +4, Stealth +4, Survival +6
    Languages Draconic
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Spellcasting. The lizardfolk is a 5th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The lizardfolk has the following druid spells prepared:
    Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, produce flame, thorn whip
    1st Level (4 slots): entangle, fog cloud
    2nd Level (3 slots): heat metal, spike growth
    3rd Level (2 slots): conjure animals (reptiles only), plant growth
    Actions
    Multiattack. The lizardfolk makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.
    Claws (melee) +4: 1d4+2 slashing
    Crocodile Bite (melee) +4: 1d10+2 piercing. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, the target is grappled (escape DC 12). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the lizardfolk can't bite another target. If the lizardfolk reverts to its true form, the grapple ends.
    Change Shape. The lizardfolk magically polymorphs into a Large crocodile, remaining in that form for up to 1 hour. It can revert to its true form as a bonus action. In lizardfolk form, it cannot use its crocodile bite attack. In crocodile form, it cannot cast spells or use its multiattack, bite, or claws attacks. Otherwise, its statistics (other than size) are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Once it uses this feature, the lizardfolk must finish a short or long rest before it can use it again.

These are out of the MM.

Encounter #4 (2200 XP)
    Chuul *2

Spoiler: Chuul
    Show
    Large Aberration
    Armor Class 16
    HP 93
    Speed 30 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str +4, Dex +0, Con +3
    Int -3, Wis +0, Cha -3
    Skills Perception +4
    Immunities poison; poisoned
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages understands Deep Speech but can't speak it
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Amphibious. The chuul can breathe air and water.
    Sense Magic. The chuul senses magic within 120 feet of it at will. This trait otherwise works like the detect magic spell but isn't itself magical.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The chuul makes two pincer attacks. If the chuul is grappling a creature, the chuul can also use its tentacles once.
    Pincer (melee, reach 10 ft) +6: 2d6+4 bludgeoning. The target is grappled (escape DC 14) if it is a Large or smaller creature and the chuul doesn't have two other creatures grappled.
    Tentacles. One creature grappled by the chuul must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. Until this poison ends, the target is paralyzed. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Nice to get a taste of Aberrations somewhere in this campaign that's otherwise dominated by other creature types.

Encounter #5 (1800 XP)
    Will-o'-Wisp *4

Spoiler: Will-o'-Wisp
    Show
    Tiny Undead
    Armor Class 19
    HP 22
    Speed 0 ft, fly 50 ft (hover)
    Str -5, Dex +9, Con +0
    Int +1, Wis +2, Cha +0
    Immunities lightning, poison; exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
    Resistances acid, cold, fire, necrotic, thunder; bludgeoning/piercing/slashing from nonmagical attacks
    Senses darkvision 120 ft
    Languages Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Consume Life. As a bonus action, the will-o'-wisp can target one creature it can see within 5 feet of it that has 0 hit points and is still alive. The target must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw against this magic or die. If the target dies, the will-o'-wisp regains 3d6 hit points.
    Ephemeral. The will-o'-wisp can't wear or carry anything.
    Incorporeal Movement. The will-o'-wisp can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 1d10 force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
    Variable Illumination. The will-o'-wisp sheds bright light in a 5-to 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional number of feet equal to the chosen radius. The will-o'-wisp can alter the radius as a bonus action.
    Actions
    Shock (melee) +4: 2d8 lightning
    Invisibility. The will-o'-wisp and its light magically become invisible until it attacks or uses its Life Drain, or until its concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell).

Encounter #6 (3900 XP)
    Hydra

Spoiler: Hydra
    Show
    Huge Monstrosity
    Armor Class 15
    HP 172
    Speed 30 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str +5, Dex +1, Con +5
    Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +6
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages n/a
    CR 8 (3900 XP)
    Hold Breath. The hydra can hold its breath for 1 hour.
    Multiple Heads. The hydra starts with five heads. While it has more than one head, the hydra has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.
    Whenever the hydra takes 25 or more damage in a single turn, one of its heads dies. If all its heads die, the hydra dies.
    At the end of its turn, it grows two heads for each of its heads that died since its last turn, unless it has taken fire damage since its last turn. The hydra regains 10 hit points for each head regrown in this way.
    Reactive Heads. For each head the hydra has beyond one, it gets an extra reaction that can be used only for opportunity attacks.
    Wakeful. While the hydra sleeps, at least one of its heads is awake.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The hydra makes as many bite attacks as it has heads.
    Bite (melee, reach 10 ft) +8: 1d10+5 piercing

By this time, the party should certainly be able to handle a full MM hydra. Hopefully if they run into this random encounter, it doesn't detract from the drama they hopefully went through in the Blackwater Causeway encounter.

Encounter #7 (3600 XP)
    Giant Crocodile *2

Spoiler: Giant Crocodile
    Show
    Huge Beast
    Armor Class 14
    HP 85
    Speed 30 ft, swim 50 ft
    Str +5, Dex -1, Con +3
    Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -2
    Skills Stealth +5
    Languages n/a
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Hold Breath. The crocodile can hold its breath for 30 minutes.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The crocodile makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its tail.
    Bite (melee) +8: 3d10+5 piercing, and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the crocodile can't bite another target.
    Tail (melee, reach 10 ft, one target not grappled by the crocodile) +8: 2d8+5 bludgeoning. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Encounter #8 (3600 XP)
    Adolescent Greenspawn Razorfiend *2

Spoiler: Adolescent Greenspawn Razorfiend
    Show
    Large Monstrosity
    Armor Class 13
    HP 120
    Speed 50 ft, swim 50 ft
    Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int -1, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Athletics +7, Perception +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Infernal
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Amphibious. The razorfiend can breathe air and water.
    Spring Attack. The razorfiend can take the Disengage action as a bonus action on its turn.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The razorfiend makes three attacks: two with its wingblades and one with its bite.
    Wingblade (melee) +7: 2d10+4 slashing; crit. 19-20
    Bite (melee) +7: 2d8+4 piercing
    Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6, 20-ft cone): 8d6 poison (Con DC 15 half)

Note that I want the Spawn of Tiamat to be a significant encounter with only one Razorfiend, so I'm using slightly weaker "Adolescent" razorfiends for random encounters and the Town Hall (where fully-grown ones would be overwhelming to a party).
    Last edited by Draz74; 2018-12-30 at 11:45 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Have fun! I don't suppose your DM is on these forums?
    I'm not sure actually. Most of the people in that group of friends were (and possibly still is?) avid readers of order of the stick at one point or another, but I'm not sure if he ever used these forums. I can ask him and point him to this thread:)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I don't think into the horde is supposed to be an automatic defeat, as long as the players are trying to accomplish a specific goal instead of fight. Like, say, assassinating Kharn. It should still be really, really, hard. But maybe not impossible to kill Kharn and get out.

Also, remember that Captured can easily be an encounter for exactly one PC, if one goes down and the party retreats they could easily get captured alone.

5. - Top - End - #65

Good points.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, my players just hit level 6 and they're sneaking into Rhest tonight. I'll be using my Enchanter Mindbender, so we'll see how this goes.

My players are basically all new, and the group tends to hit things until they die. They also seem reluctant to short rest, given how their sorcerer blows his spell slots/sorcery points like crazy when he gets a little freaked, though the warlock and monk are very much in favor of it.

I tend to play the monsters a little too smart, but I'm really trying to cut back on it. They know about Regiarix, but they think that Saarvith is just another name for him (thanks to a Lizardfolk tribe that they talked to that gave the dragon fancy titles), so i think that they'll be "pleasantly" surprised to see the goblin.

I'm going to run the scenario as-is (with my versions of the mindbender/Saarvith/Regiarix, but I think that I'll snatch that juvenile razorfiend) and see how it turns out. I haven't been playing into the extreme racial hatred of hobgoblins vs. elves, mainly because I didn't realize that it was also a non-Eberron thing, so I'll try to play that up tonight.

We're going to be short the Paladin tonight, so wish me luck that I don't kill them all!

My group, for those interested -
    Spoiler: Kuulvheysoon's Party
    Show
    • Belhorn Forestfury: 5th level Half Elf Paladin (Vengeance), swore his oath to Silvanus to kill all giantkind after his home village was eaten by hill giants. He's actually a Dexterity-based Paladin, using a rapier/shield and chose the dueling style. He's a pretty solid member of the team while he's there.
    • Aldalome: 5th level Firbolg Monk (Open Hand), taken in by wandering sages when she was found as an orphan. She's definitely playing to her strengths, having picked up the Mobile feat at 4th level and has started to learn how to use Stunning Strike. Has a pair of senbon in her hair which she poisons (minor changes to Hermit background to give Nature/poisoner's kit instead of Religion/herbalist's kit)
    • Torinn: 6th level Copper Dragonborn* Cleric (Arcana), the player's character actually died in Marauder Attack, so this was his replacement. Apprentice to the priest in Drellin's Ferry. Used to be an Eldritch Knight, but wasn't a fan of mixing it up in melee, and he loved Magic Missile. I helped him write up this character and he seems pretty happy with it.
    • Adrie "Silverbow" Liadon: 6th level Wood Elf Revised Ranger (Hunter), former pirate on the Sea of Fallen Stars whose ship ran through a random portal and ended up in a little stream. We worked out a deal in which her bow (which she silvered for no damned reason) is becoming a Weapon of Legacy, and it's slowly leveling up along with her. Probably the most effective damage dealer in the party, besides the sorcerer.
    • Ezra Khalid: 6th level Half Elf Warlock (Fiend), looking for vengeance on his philandering elven father. Not terribly effective, in all honesty. He seems to have the worst luck rolling, and his character is quite abrasive, and has gotten more than a few NPCs pissed at him.
    • Karall Iltaa: 6th level Half Elf Sorceror (Draconic [red]), actually the half brother of Ezra, got injured in a forge accident and blew off his arm. It regrew as a scaled dragon arm, which he keeps wrapped up and hidden from everyone. My shyest player, he's probably got the best grasp on the rules (besides myself) and he loves spamming his chromatic orb, especially since he's hit 6th level now. HE actually killed the (slightly nerfed) hydra at the Causeway basically by himself in two rounds, thanks to blowing his sorcery points and me missing the rules about bonus action spells.

The monk and paladin miss about every third session due to work, so they're a bit behind.

*Slightly modified Dragonborn - Darkvision 60ft, breath weapon is a bonus action

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Alright, my players just hit level 6 and they're sneaking into Rhest tonight.
    How'd it go?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Id be willing to convert and format the whole adventure to pdf document if you finish the encounters

9. - Top - End - #69

Road Blockade

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Regular
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
    HP 11
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +3: 1d8+1 slashing, or 1d10+1 slashing if wielded in two hands.
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Sergeant
    Show
    Armor Class 17 (half plate)
    HP 39
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +2, Con +2
    Int +1, Wis +0, Cha +1
    Skills Intimidation +3
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, Draconic
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 3d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The hobgoblin makes two greatsword attacks.
    Greatsword (melee) +4: 2d6+2 slashing
    Leadership. For 1 minute after activating this feature, the sergeant can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the sergeant. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the sergeant is incapacitated. Once the sergeant activates this feature, it must finish a short or long rest before it can use it again.

Spoiler: Ogre
    Show
    Large Giant
    Armor Class 11
    HP 59
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +4, Dex -1, Con +3
    Int -3, Wis -2, Cha -2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Giant, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Actions
    Greatclub (melee) +6: 2d8+4 bludgeoning
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +4: 2d6+4 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Hobgoblin Regular *6
    Hobgoblin Sergeant *2
    Ogre *2

XP Award: 2900

More than most encounters, I'm considering deviating from the source material here and beefing up this encounter, probably by making the ogres something nastier. That was a common DM-adjustment to make in 3.5e anyway, because the composition of monsters presented in the module is just not very challenging at this level.

So ... ogres with barbarian features? Any other suggestions?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

10. - Top - End - #70

Spawn of Tiamat

Spoiler: Greenspawn Razorfiend
    Show
    Large Monstrosity
    Armor Class 13
    HP 150
    Speed 50 ft, swim 50 ft
    Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int -1, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Infernal
    CR 7 (2900 XP)
    Spring Attack. The razorfiend can take the Disengage action as a bonus action on its turn.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The razorfiend makes three attacks: two with its wingblades and one with its bite.
    Wingblade (melee) +7: 2d10+4 slashing + 1d8 poison; crit. 19-20
    Bite (melee) +7: 2d10+4 piercing
    Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6, 20-ft cone): 10d8 poison (Con DC 15 half)

Encounter Composition
    Greenspawn Razorfiend

Needs playtesting to make sure it's a good fight with a solo monster.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, in 5E I have as few solo monsters as possible. The action advantage can really wreck them.

As for the road blocks I made them different. One was the chumpy encounter you just presented, and in the other I added a Hobgoblin Paladin and a Devestator.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

How'd it go?
    Well, shenanigans ensued.

Spoiler: Long-ass blow by blow
    Show
    They managed to convince an NPC to give them cover with a good Persuasion roll from the Warlock, so he cast control weather as the party's cleric cast water walk. So they're getting enough rain that I considered it light obscurement. This was the extent of their observations of Rhest, when they knew full well that there was a dragon there. They proceeded to walk straight to the belltower (which I described as shabby and creaky). They got within 50 feet of it before the hobgoblins noticed them (disadvantage on Perception can be brutal).

I only had 7 hobgoblins in this encounter - 6 "veteran" hobgoblins (basically slightly buffed hobgoblin regulars, the one from the MM) and one Sargeant (the hobgoblin captain from the MM, which I've been using instead of the bladebearers). So the second that they saw the adventurers, one of them immediately slammed the bell as initiative was rolled. My players rolled terribly for the most part, and the hobgoblins all ended up going between the arcane spellcasters and cleric/ranger/monk. I decided to give them 3 rounds before the three hobgoblins in the barracks portion got into the fight, 10 full rounds before Regiarix and Saarvith came over to investigate, and 12 rounds [total] before a few reinforcements (4 hobgoblin veterans, 2 ogres and Nurklenak, my mindbender) rowed their way over.

So the party dealt with the archers up top pretty quick, only lasting a round of two under a hailstorm of arrows, fire bolts and eldritch blasts. The archers didn't' inflict much damage, unfortunately - they weren't rolling very well. Things got interesting when the monk decided to storm the tower by herself. She opened the door and walked right into the sargeant, and she blew a ki point to bonus action dodge. Now, important fact: I couldn't find a description for the size of the belltower, so mine was 15'x15' base, standing 30 feet tall. So combat continues with the cleric and ranger (still holding her bow, mind you - she loves her Sharpshooter feat) closing in on the tower and eventually hopping into it, so try and flank the sargeant.

Then the other 4 hobgoblins (one survivor from the top) drop down into the tower. So now there's eight people in the 9 available squares. They try to fight it out a little bit, but the hobgoblin's Martial Advantage along with the sargeant's battle inspiration ability is proving too much for them, and it's dropping their hit points by quite a bit. So the sorcerer decides to drop a fireball in there.

On top of his own party.

He dropped the monk (natural 1 on her save) and ranger to 0 and left the cleric with about 8 hit points, but at least the hobgoblins were dead, right? I let them stay in initiative order for another round as they healed up a bit before I described a mighty roar coming from the south-west (the town hall). They quickly patch everyone up to consciousness and the cleric heads out to check the far side of the tower. He sees the dragon through the rain and flips out, yelling at them that it's a dragon and they should hide in the tower. So I have Regiarix wait a turn as everyone flees into the tower (and the sorceror casts haste) before having him slam into the side of the tower. He succeeds on the Athletic check and the tower comes toppling down. I only catch a few in the rubble - the rest save well enough to get clear. For some reason, the players decided that the tiny goblin riding this dragon must be the bigger threat, so they focused all of their efforts onto killing Saarvith.

He lives for a round before motioning Regiarix to take off, but not before the dragon pops a breath weapon and nearly kills the warlock - Saarvith had dropped him to 0, and the breath weapon rolled low - only 44 damage off of 11d8. Which turned out to be super lucky for the warlock, as his maximum hitpoints (and threshold for Instant Death) was 45. So they take off and fly over the swamp, waiting for Reggie's breath weapon to refresh. The ranger takes a couple of potshots at Saarvith as he's flying off, and manages to get him down to about 20 or so hit points. They heal up a bit, and the warlock casts darkness to give them some room to hide from the dragon (not realizing that dragons have blindsense, I guess).

It's at this point that the boats with the reinforcements arrive, and the sorcerer tosses off his last fireball to take out three of the four hobgoblins, and heavily wound the last while inflicting light damage on Nurklenak (who is invisible at this point) and the ogres. Nurklenak dispels the globe of darkness (swearing ensues), and the ogres toss a couple of javelins. At this point, they'd apparently forgotten about the dragon because the warlock had wandered off a bit from the party to get a better angle at Nurklenak and was Multiattacked by Reggie... who missed with both claw attacks and dove straight down underwater (Saarwith had dismounted and was sneaking towards the crew overland). The ogres fled as the last hobgoblin was killed, and Nurklenak dimension doored back to the town hall (I increased him to a 7th level wizard). We ended there as it was getting pretty late already, and I worked at 5am the next morning.

TLDR: They steamrolled the initial hobgoblins, and only Saarvith and Regiarix presented a credible threat. Players can sometimes be their own worst enemies, and third level spells really start to change the game at this point.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    TLDR: They steamrolled the initial hobgoblins, and only Saarvith and Regiarix presented a credible threat. Players can sometimes be their own worst enemies, and third level spells really start to change the game at this point.
    Thanks for the writeup.

So, overall, it seems like your test might support my theory that your encounter, including a CR 7 Regiarix, was a bit much? Because my rough draft for the Town Hall encounter includes a CR 6 version of Regiarix, CR 5 Saarvith, CR 5 Nurklenak, CR 5 Adolescent Razorfiend, and the giants riffraff. And I still think it might be overwhelming if they don't do a good job splitting up the enemies. (At least your group didn't have the Razorfiend to deal with.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

14. - Top - End - #74

Killiar's Hunters

Spoiler: Killiar Arrowswift
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (elf)
    Armor Class 16 (studded leather armor)
    HP 36
    Speed 35 ft
    Str +1, Dex +4, Con +2
    Int -1, Wis +2, Cha +0
    Saving Throws Str +3, Dex +6
    Skills Animal Handling +4, Athletics +3, Investigation +1, Perception +4, Stealth +6, Survival +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Elvish, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Favored Enemy. Killiar gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against monstrosities. He has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track monstrosities, and on Intelligence checks to recall information about monstrosities.
    Natural Explorer. Killiar ignores difficult terrain. He has advantage on initiative rolls, and on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted (in the first round of combat). When Killiar travels for an hour or more, his group is not slowed by difficult terrain, and cannot get lost except by magical means. Killiar remains alert to danger even while engaged in another activity, such as foraging, navigating, or tracking. When Killiar travels alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace. When he forages, he finds twice as much food as normal. When he tracks other creatures, he learns their exact numbers, sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
    Primeval Awareness. Killiar has an innate ability to communicate with beasts, and they recognize him as a kindred spirit. By spending 1 uninterrupted minute in concentration, he can sense whether any monstrosities are present within 5 miles. Their numbers, general direction, and distance in miles are revealed for each such group of monstrosities.
    Colossus Slayer. Once per turn when Killiar hits a creature with a weapon attack, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage if it's below its hit point maximum.
    Fey Ancestry. Killiar has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put him to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. Killiar can attempt to hide even when he is only lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
    Spellcasting. Killiar is a 2nd-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom. Killiar knows the following ranger spells:
    1st level (3 slots): animal friendship, goodberry, hunter's mark
    Actions
    Rapier (melee) +6: 1d8+4 piercing
    +1 Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +9: 1d8+5 piercing
    Animal Empathy. Through sounds and gestures, Killiar can communicate simple ideas to a beast, and can read its basic mood and intent. He learns its emotional state, whether it is affected by magic of any sort, its short-term needs, and actions he can take (if any) to persuade it not to attack. He cannot use this ability against a creature that he has attacked within the past 10 minutes.

Spoiler: Tiri Kitor Hunter
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (elf)
    Armor Class 13 (leather armor)
    HP 16
    Speed 35 ft
    Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Athletics +2, Nature +2, Perception +5, Stealth +6, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Elvish, Common
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The hunter has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Fey Ancestry. The hunter has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put it to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. The hunter can attempt to hide even when it is only lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The hunter makes two melee attacks or two ranged attacks.
    Shortsword (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +4: 1d8+2 piercing

Spoiler: Giant Owl
    Show
    Large Beast
    Armor Class 12
    HP 19
    Speed 5 ft, fly 60 ft
    Str +1, Dex +2, Con +1
    Int -1, Wis +1, Cha +0
    Skills Perception +5, Stealth +4
    Senses darkvision 120 ft
    Languages Giant Owl; understands Elvish, Sylvan, and Common but can't speak them
    CR 1/4 (50 XP)
    Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Actions
    Talons (melee) +3: 2d6+1 slashing

Encounter Composition
    Killiar Arrowswift
    Tiri Kitor Hunter *4
    Giant Owl *5

XP Award: 1100
    The XP Award can be granted if the encounter is negotiated reasonably smoothly, not only if it turns into a combat encounter (which it probably shouldn't). Whether Killiar's attitude towards the PCs actually becomes friendly doesn't affect the XP the PCs receive, but it will become important when The Elf Alliance encounter occurs later in the adventure.

Like other probably-helpful NPCs, I built Killiar close to a PC, in this case of 4th level. His hunters and owls come out of the MM (Scout NPC block for the hunters), even though that makes them considerably weaker than they were in 3.5e.

Whether they're a challenging combat encounter probably won't matter at this point, because the PCs probably won't fight them, but I do wonder if I should beef them up more so they will put up a better fight if they fight on the PCs' side in Brindol.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-06-20 at 10:50 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the writeup.

So, overall, it seems like your test might support my theory that your encounter, including a CR 7 Regiarix, was a bit much? Because my rough draft for the Town Hall encounter includes a CR 6 version of Regiarix, CR 5 Saarvith, CR 5 Nurklenak, CR 5 Adolescent Razorfiend, and the giants riffraff. And I still think it might be overwhelming if they don't do a good job splitting up the enemies. (At least your group didn't have the Razorfiend to deal with.)
    I wouldn't disagree with that statement, but I'd back it up by mentioning that nerfing Reggie/Saarvith is probably a good idea, but you might want to increase wither the quantity or quality of the 'minor' forces, based on your players.

I mean, I'm probably going to increase the amount of hobgoblins in the Town Hall itself, but I won't even try to unleash the caged razorfiend unless things go really badly for the Red Hand, rather than making it an obvious decision. My party is really powerful when it comes to ranged combat, but they're decidedly average when it come to engaging in melee.

As for Killiar/his hunters, I actually statted him out as a (Champion) Fighter focused on archery and used the Archer (from Volo's) as a CR2 version of the Hunters.

16. - Top - End - #76

Starsong Hill

Spoiler: Sellyria Starsinger
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (elf)
    Armor Class 12 (hide armor)
    HP 35
    Speed 35 ft
    Str -1, Dex +0, Con +0
    Int +2, Wis +3, Cha +2
    Saving Throws Int +5, Wis +6
    Skills Animal Handling +6, Nature +5, Perception +6, Persuasion +5, Survival +6
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Elvish, Common, Druidic, Sylvan
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Fey Ancestry. Sellyria has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put her to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. Sellyria can attempt to hide even when she is only lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
    War Caster. Sellyria has advantage on Constitution saving throws that she makes to maintain concentration on a spell when she takes damage. She can perform the somatic components of spells even when she has weapons or a shield in both hands. When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an opportunity attack from her, she can use her reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.
    Spellcasting. Sellyria is a 7th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). Sellyria has the following druid spells prepared:
    Cantrips (at will): guidance, mending, produce flame
    1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, goodberry, entangle, speak with animals
    2nd level (3 slots): animal messenger, enhance ability, flaming sphere, lesser restoration
    3rd level (3 slots): call lightning
    4th level (1 slot): control water
    Actions
    Scimitar (melee) +3: 1d6 slashing
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8 piercing
    Wild Shape. Sellyria can magically assume the shape of a beast that she has seen before. This beast can have a CR of no greater than 1/2, and cannot have a flying speed. She can stay in a beast shape for 3 hours. She then reverts to her normal form unless she expends another use of this feature. She can revert to her normal form earlier by using a bonus action on her turn. She automatically reverts if she falls unconscious, drops to 0 hit points, or dies. Once she has used this feature twice, she cannot use it again until she has completed a short or long rest. This feature otherwise follows all of the rules for the Druidic Wild Shape ability.

Spoiler: Relivax the Crocodile
    Show
    Large Beast
    Armor Class 15
    HP 45
    Speed 20 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str +3, Dex +0, Con +1
    Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -3
    Saving Throws Str +6, Dex +3, Con +4, Int -1, Wis +3, Cha +0
    Skills Athletics +6, Perception +3, Stealth +3
    Languages n/a
    CR n/a (is a class feature of Sellyria)
    Hold Breath. Relivax can hold his breath for 15 minutes.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +6: 1d10+6 piercing, and the target is grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and Relivax can't bite another target.

Spoiler: Trellara Nightshadow
    Show
    Medium Humanoid (elf)
    Armor Class 17 (studded leather armor, shield)
    HP 25
    Speed 35 ft
    Str +0, Dex +4, Con +2
    Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4
    Saving Throws Str -1, Dex +5, Con +1, Int +1, Wis +1, Cha +5
    Skills Acrobatics +5, History +5, Nature +3, Perception +5, Performance +5, Stealth +5
    Tools lute +5, lyre +5, viol +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Elvish, Common, Sylvan
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Fey Ancestry. Trellara has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put her to sleep.
    Mask of the Wild. Trellara can attempt to hide even when she is only lightly obscured by natural phenomena.
    Song of Rest. Trellara can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize her wounded allies during a short rest. If she or any friendly creatures who can hear her performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points.
    Bardic Inspiration. As a bonus action on her turn, Trellara can choose one creature other than herself within 60 feet who can hear her. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6. Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one weapon damage roll, ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses. Once the Bardic Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time. Trellara can use this feature a 3 times. She regains any expended uses when she finishes a long rest.
    Spellcasting. Trellara is a 4th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). Trellara knows the following bard spells:
    Cantrips (at will): dancing lights, mage hand, prestidigitation
    1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, detect magic, sleep, thunderwave
    2nd level (3 slots): enhance ability, lesser restoration, shatter
    Actions
    Rapier (melee) +5: 1d8+3 piercing
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +5: 1d8+3 piercing

Like other probably-helpful NPCs, Sellyria and Trellara are built close to PC builds. Sellyria is level 7, Trellara is level 4. Sellyria uses the homebrew Circle of the Beast found here. The crocodile isn't really a legal animal companion (slightly too big and powerful), but I decided that was ok for an otherwise-sub-optimal NPC.

Trellara is designed with the idea that she might become a supportive DMNPC in the campaign, since there's no Leadership feat for the players to use to turn her into a class feature.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-07-14 at 10:12 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

17. - Top - End - #77

Lizardfolk Huts

Spoiler: Lizardfolk
    Show
    Armor Class 15 (shield)
    HP 22
    Speed 30 ft, swim 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +0, Con +1
    Int -2, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Worg, Goblin
    CR 1/2 (100 XP)
    Actions
    Multiattack. The lizardfolk makes two melee attacks, each one with a different weapon.
    Heavy Club (melee) +4: 1d6+2 bludgeoning
    Spiked Shield (melee) +4: 1d6+2 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Lizardfolk *6

XP Award: 600

In the original module, this encounter is ridiculously easy, even compared with the likes of Easy Skirmish. I can only assume that it was intended to make the players feel really powerful, or maybe to give them a moral dilemma about whether to slaughter such helpless lizardfolk in the first place. So I haven't tried to make it any more difficult or even more resource-draining in this conversion.

If the PCs turn the lizardfolk into something more significant than they're supposed to be, like by rounding the lake and attacking all the lizardfolk villages one by one, it's easy enough to add a couple of Lizardfolk Shamans or even a Lizardfolk King/Queen (MM) ... or just have Regiarix show up and defend the lizardfolk. That's probably better, since it pushes the PCs towards the real encounter at Rhest.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

18. - Top - End - #78

Bell Tower

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Veteran
    Show
    Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
    HP 27
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +2, Dex +1, Con +1
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 1 (200 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 2d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Actions
    Longsword (melee) +4: 1d8+2 slashing, or 1d10+2 slashing if wielded in two hands.
    Longbow (ranged 150/600 ft) +3: 1d8+1 piercing

Spoiler: Hobgoblin Bladebearer
    Show
    Armor Class 16 (chain shirt)
    HP 67
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int +0, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +3
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the hobgoblin can deal an extra 3d6 damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the hobgoblin that isn't incapacitated.
    Dual Wielder. When the bladebearer takes the Attack action, it can use a bonus action to attack with a weapon in its off-hand.
    Actions
    Shortsword (melee) +5: 1d6+3 piercing
    Off-Hand Shortsword (melee) +5: 1d6+3 piercing

Encounter Composition
    Hobgoblin Veteran *6
    Hobgoblin Bladebearer "Korkulan"

XP Award: 1050

This is where my CR 1 Veterans might be too easy. On the other hand, maybe the point of this encounter is mostly just to see if the bell gets rung to warn the Town Hall that the PCs are coming? CR 1 can ring a bell just as well as CR 2.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2018-01-10 at 10:20 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Started reading Red Hand of Doom. Planning on running it after "Lost mines of Phandelver". I will be using this information and give feedback when necessary.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

First I want to say thank you for doing this. It's a pretty daunting task and I've actually been looking around for a conversion of this module for a bit now. Your hard work is greatly appreciated. I haven't decided but I'm either going to lead in with Sunless Citadel / Forge of Fury or simply just do the Lost Mines and then RHoD. Out of curiosity, Is there any thought to putting all this in a PDF after? If not, no biggy (it's easy enough to do). However, my real reason for registering on this site and posting is to say thanks for your hard work!!

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    First I want to say thank you for doing this. It's a pretty daunting task and I've actually been looking around for a conversion of this module for a bit now. Your hard work is greatly appreciated. I haven't decided but I'm either going to lead in with Sunless Citadel / Forge of Fury or simply just do the Lost Mines and then RHoD. Out of curiosity, Is there any thought to putting all this in a PDF after? If not, no biggy (it's easy enough to do). However, my real reason for registering on this site and posting is to say thanks for your hard work!!
    Hey, way to guilt trip me for not working on this for a couple weeks. I think a PDF would be more likely than a forum thread for WotC to object to, don't you think? But maybe once I feel the encounters are sufficiently refined, if there still hasn't been any word about an official translation of RHoD, I'll convert it to a PDF anyway.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

22. - Top - End - #82

Town Hall

Spoiler: Ogre
    Show
    Large Giant
    Armor Class 11
    HP 59
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +4, Dex -1, Con +3
    Int -3, Wis -2, Cha -2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Giant, Common
    CR 2 (450 XP)
    Actions
    Greatclub (melee) +6: 2d8+4 bludgeoning
    Javelin (thrown 30/120 ft) +4: 2d6+4 piercing

Spoiler: Adolescent Greenspawn Razorfiend
    Show
    Large Monstrosity
    Armor Class 13
    HP 120
    Speed 50 ft, swim 50 ft
    Str +4, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int -1, Wis +1, Cha -2
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Infernal
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Actions
    Wingblade (melee) +7: 2d10+4 slashing; crit. 19-20
    Bite (melee) +7: 2d8+4 piercing
    Poison Breath (Recharge 5-6, 20-ft cone): 8d6 poison (Con DC 15 half)

Spoiler: Ettin
    Show
    Large Giant
    Armor Class 12
    HP 85
    Speed 40 ft
    Str +5, Dex -1, Con +3
    Int -2, Wis +0, Cha -1
    Skills Perception +4
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Giant, Goblin
    CR 4 (1100 XP)
    Two Heads. The ettin has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.
    Wakeful. When one of the ettin's heads is asleep, its other head is awake.
    Actions
    Multiattack. The ettin makes two attacks: one with its battleaxe and one with its morningstar.
    Battleaxe (melee) +7: 2d8+5 slashing
    Morningstar (melee) +7: 2d8+5 piercing

Spoiler: Kulkor Zhul Mindbender
    Show
    Armor Class 14 (studded leather armor)
    HP 52
    Speed 30 ft
    Str -1, Dex +2, Con +3
    Int +1, Wis +0, Cha +3
    Saving Throws Wis +3, Cha +6
    Skills Deception +9, Insight +6, Intimidation +6, Perception +3, Persuasion +6
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, telepathy 30 ft
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Spellcasting. The mindbender is a 7th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The mindbender knows the following spells:
    Cantrips (at will): message, minor illusion, vicious mockery
    1st level (4 slots): charm person, dissonant whispers, heroism, Tasha's hideous laughter
    2nd level (3 slots): crown of madness, detect thoughts, hold person, suggestion
    3rd level (3 slots): fear, hypnotic pattern
    4th level (1 slot): compulsion, confusion
    Actions
    Dagger (melee) +5: 1d4+2 piercing
    Dagger (thrown 20/60 ft) +5: 1d4+2 piercing

Spoiler: Wyrmlord Saarvith
    Show
    Small Humanoid (goblinoid)
    Armor Class 16 (studded leather armor)
    HP 60
    Speed 30 ft
    Str +1, Dex +4, Con +2
    Int -1, Wis +2, Cha +0
    Saving Throws Str +4, Dex +7
    Skills Animal Handling +5, Medicine +5, Perception +5, Stealth +7, Survival +5
    Senses darkvision 60 ft
    Languages Goblin, Common, Draconic, Elvish, Giant
    CR 5 (1800 XP)
    Nimble Escape. Saarvith can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of his turns.
    Natural Explorer. Saarvith has advantage on initiative rolls, as well as on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted during his first turn of combat.
    Greater Favored Enemy. Saarvith has a +4 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against humanoids and giants. He has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humanoids and giants, and on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. He additionally has advantage on saving throws against the spells and abilities of giants.
    Coordinated Attack. When Saarvith uses the Attack action on his turn, if his hawk can see him, it can use its reaction to make a melee attack.
    Spellcasting. Saarvith is a 7th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). He knows the following spells:
    1st level (4 slots): absorb elements, alarm, ensnaring strike, hunter's mark, longstrider
    2nd level (3 slots)
    Actions
    Scimitar (melee) +7: 1d6+4 slashing
    Shortbow (ranged 80/320 ft) +9: 1d6+4 piercing

Spoiler: Hawk
    Show
    Small Beast
    Armor Class 16
    HP 21
    Speed 10 ft, fly 60 ft
    Str -2, Dex +3, Con +0
    Int -4, Wis +2, Cha -3
    Saving Throws Str +1, Dex +6, Con +3, Int -1, Wis +5, Cha +0
    Skills Acrobatics +6, Perception +5, Survival +5
    Languages n/a
    CR n/a (is a class feature of Saarvith)
    Keen Sight. The hawk has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
    Pack Tactics. The hawk has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the hawk's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Beast's Defense. While the hawk can see Saarvith, it has advantage on all saving throws.
    Greater Favored Enemy. The hawk has a +4 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against humanoids and giants. It has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humanoids and giants, and on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. It additionally has advantage on saving throws against the spells and abilities of giants.
    Actions
    Talons (melee) +6: 1d4+6 slashing

Spoiler: Regiarix
    Show
    Large Dragon
    Armor Class 18
    HP 112
    Speed 35 ft, swim 40 ft, fly 70 ft
    Str +4, Dex +2, Con +3
    Int +1, Wis +0, Cha +2
    Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +6, Wis +3, Cha +5
    Skills Perception +6, Stealth +5
    Immunities acid
    Senses blindsight 30 ft, darkvision 120 ft
    Languages Draconic, Common, Goblin
    CR 6 (2300 XP)
    Amphibious. Regiarix can breathe air and water.
    Actions
    Multiattack. Regiarix makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.
    Bite (melee, reach 10 ft) +7: 2d8+4 piercing + 1d8 acid
    Claw (melee) +7: 2d4+4 slashing
    Acid Breath (Recharge 5-6, 30-ft line): 10d8 acid (Dex DC 14 half)

Encounter Composition
    Ogre *6
    Adolescent Greenspawn Razorfiend
    Ettin
    Kulkor Zhul Mindbender "Nurklenak"
    Wyrmlord Saarvith
    Hawk
    Regiarix

I built the Mindbender as a cross between a Bard and a Warlock, with stats fairly close to a PC overall. I'm not opposed to a Mindbender stat block that's less of a standard Vancian spellcaster, like the one provided by Lord Ruby; but I don't want it to be CR 8 like his. Since this project has been stalled for a while, I thought I'd go ahead and post the Mindbender I have, even though I might eventually overhaul it.

Saarvith is pretty close to a PC Revised Ranger. I thought keeping him a Beastmaster was flavorful.

Regiarix is toned down marginally from the MM Young Black Dragon, because I wanted him CR 6 for the sake of avoiding TPKs. I'm not opposed to giving him some innate spellcasting for flavor's sake, but I'm wary of access to Heat Metal or even Darkness pushing him into a higher CR. Besides, this encounter might be plenty complicated for the DM to run even with Regiarix as a "boring" standard dragon that attacks or breathes each round.

Overall, the encounter should be doable and maybe even anticlimactic if the party does a good job of dividing and conquering (attacking when Regiarix isn't home; taking on the Razorfiend by itself; stealthily taking out the Ogres one by one). But if they take on the whole Town Hall at once, it will be extremely lethal.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2017-07-15 at 12:12 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, way to guilt trip me for not working on this for a couple weeks. I think a PDF would be more likely than a forum thread for WotC to object to, don't you think? But maybe once I feel the encounters are sufficiently refined, if there still hasn't been any word about an official translation of RHoD, I'll convert it to a PDF anyway.
    LOL Draz! Honestly there was no intent there but hey if it kicks you in the butt it works for me!! I don't think it's an issue to supply a PDF with just the monster conversions as you've been doing. Where people run afoul of WoTC is when they basically provide the whole module with their conversion (i.e. room descriptions etc.). There's a whole line of products on the DM's Guild that converts old TSR Modules to 5E for sale (see the Classic Modules Today 'brand'). Also, I know on EN World, there's a number of conversions of things like the Age of Worms Adventure Path to 5E. The key is just to stick to the mechanics and not to add any of the module 'fluff' and I'm pretty sure you are OK. However, ultimately, it is how comfortable you feel and that's the most important thing as you're the one carrying the ball right now! I'm very curious to see what you do with the Ghost Lord. For this module, that was the one encounter that kind of 'didn't fit' but it is a pretty unique encounter. Anyway, thanks again for this and all your hard work. It's 'most impressive'!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Thumbs up Re: Converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e

I can't believe nobody's done this (and posted their work online), but that's what my Google-fu suggests. SO I was thinking I may try to convert The Red Hand of Doom to 5e as a summer project.
    THANK YOU! I made an account just to say this. We are currently running Forge of Fury, and I took the opportunity of a lot of player deaths to switch to 5e. I was planning to do RHoD next, and I went looking for guidance and found this.

I expect to get to this module in a couple of months. I will definitely keep tabs on this and contribute if I can.

THANK YOU!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ltab View Post
    THANK YOU! I made an account just to say this. We are currently running Forge of Fury, and I took the opportunity of a lot of player deaths to switch to 5e. I was planning to do RHoD next, and I went looking for guidance and found this.

I expect to get to this module in a couple of months. I will definitely keep tabs on this and contribute if I can.

THANK YOU!

I read talk of a PDF, has this come about? I would like to download the critters and import this game into a roll20 game I wantr to run. I have the original RHoD book/module and all the maps. I could just copy and save the info to a word doc and then use those to fill out my tokens and actions, but a PDF would be easier if it exists :-)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Greetings,

Like I said to Draz in the beggining of the tread, I was planning to DM 5e Red Hand of Doom to my group. I start with a bunch of low level adverntures of my own design, followed by some other adapted stuff of 3.5, and they finally arrive at Drellin's Ferry last session, four level 7 PCs. So I have to made some modifications in the encounters to match that, and i don't know if my experience will help others. Well, that's it.

The group consists of:

Human Divination Wizard 7
    Human Paladin 2 / Infernal Bladelock 5
    Human Fighter 2 / Favored Soul Sorcerer 5
    Human Swashbuckler Rogue 6 / Fighter 1

They are very experient players and have a fair share of magical items.

So, about the first Encounters.

Marauder Attack

Hobgoblin Regular *4
    Hobgoblin Bladebearer "Uth-Lar"
    Doom Hand Cleric "Zarr"
    Hell Hound *2

I gave "Zarr" more HPs, but used the stats suggested by Draz.

The combat starts bad for the group, with only the Rogue not surprised, the Hell Hounds targeting 2 or 3 PCs with breath weapon and the hobgoblins arrow shots with martial advantage. The Palalock even dropped to 0 HPs. But after the inicial shock, they manage the encounter pretty easy, both Hobgobling bosses been paralyzed by a 3rd level hold person.

Blackwater Causeway

MM Hydra

For the BC, I used a full MM Hydra. They avoid the surprise, but lost the iniciative, and again the Palalock have some trouble in the beggining, with the Hydra growing 4 heads after a Smite anda a Critical from the Fighter. But again, after the inicial problems, the Wizard used Fireball to supress the regeneration and they end it in more 2 rounds.

Nonetheless the Hydra have success draining resources, and the Keep should be a real challenge.

I really don't know it this will be useful to someone, but like I promess Draz, I will keep posting my DM experience in this campaign.

Regards,

Arvin

PS: Sorry for eventual english mistakes.
    We are everywhere.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

I think I've decided that instead of starting with the Sunless Citadel, I'm going to combine Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde and this. I'll probably replace the drow in the second dungeon (Temple) with goblinoids and have it as an original attempt to gate in Tiamat which hopefully the PCs thwart and then move onto RHoD. That will also give the SGoS more plot than it currently has so it should hopefully work well together. I've just kind of started this using Fantasy Grounds.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

@Draz74,
    your work is greatly appreciated. I am currently translating RHoD from English and updating everything to 5ed. Your monster stats and experience in playtesting is invaluable, as are the other replies to this thread.
    I am using the FR setting and started my players a couple of months ago on the Lost mines of Phandelver. Because I'm more familiar with the area around Beregost (BG I & II are my all time favorites), I moved Phandelver south of Beregost, in the foothills of the Could Peaks, just east of Nashkel. That allowed me to place the entire Elsin vale west of Phandelver, in the area that was originally the Green Fields (Between the Sharp teeth wood and Berdusk/Iriaebor). I am planning on having them reach lev 5 by the time they finish the adventure. By the end of LMoP they should have a map suggesting there's great treasure to be found in Vraath Keep. And that will be the beginning of my players' adventure in the Elsin Vale. I think the two adventures really fit well together, there's goblins in both and potentially the green dragon in LMoP can be the same one the players first meet at Skull Gorge bridge.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Edit: right now I'm starting to translate Part III. Just started with the random encounters: I've substantially decreased the number of possible encounters to just 5: basilisks, bulette, dire lions, dire lion ghosts, and something else I' still not sure of. I noticed there's a substantial lack of "dire" specimen in 5 ed, but I also found a Dire Template on reddit

Spoiler: Dire template
    Show

/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/46ogcz/dire_template_and_applications_in_5e/

Following the template, I built a Dire Lion for 5 ed.
    Spoiler: Dire Lion
    Show
    Large Beast
    Armor Class 14
    HP 80 (7d12+21)
    Speed 45 ft
    Str +5, Dex +3, Con +3
    Int -4, Wis +1, Cha -1
    Skills Perception +3, Stealth +7
    Senses passive Perception 13
    Languages n/a
    CR 3 (700 XP)
    Keen Smell. The Dire Lion has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
    Pack Tactics. The lion has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the lion's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
    Pounce. If the lion moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the lion can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.
    Running Leap. With a 10-foot running start, the lion can long jump up to 30 feet.
    Actions
    Bite (melee) +7: 1d10+5 piercing.

Claw (melee) +7: 1d8+5 slashing.

Basically what I did is to take the Lion stats (MM, page 331) and apply the template I linked. The only modification I made myself was to keep Strength at 20, because applying the template as is, it would have been 22, which is a bit too much for a lion, albeit a dire version. I instead used those 2 extra points in Strength to buff the Dex up a point, which increases AC to 14. Also, I increased running speed by 5 feet and die for bite and claw attacks, to reflect the increase in size and muscle of the animal.

I'm planning on dropping 3 of these guys on my party. They should all be lev 7 by then. Challenging, but it should be fun.
    I'm looking forward to your version of the Dire Ghost Lion!
    Last edited by Moradin; 2017-11-06 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added Dire Lion

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thumbs up Re: Converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e

Hello Draz,

Just discovered this thread thanks to one of my players (who will atone for thou shalt not spoil your DM campaign on fora...) and your work is amazing.

We're currently playing RHoD in 5e, the PCs just cleared Vraath Keep. I also did a lot of conversion but I tend to toughen the challenges a bit as I want to make combats dangerous.

I'm an old DM with 4 veteran players who played AD&D through all editions except 4e (we chose and still play Pathfinder).

I'll share my thoughts later as I must go to work, but I wanted to let you know that your work is greatly appreciated.

Bran.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello Draz,

I also want to chime in with my applause for your great 5E conversion notes and to encourage you to continue the work. I am prepping RHoD for 5E in Fantasy Grounds and have found your notes tremendously valuable. I really do hope that you will continue with Part III.