New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Spell without component?

So, for a new game, i am going to a stealthy sneaky build, with some splash of caster (probably bard/rogue for starter).
    I thinked of some way to deal a decent sneaky touch attack and i think i'm going to use a lot silent sound (Book of Eldritch Might, p 26), only a somatic component, sound dmg and touch attack, why not?
    And now i wonder... why not make it one step higher, and use still metamagic on it?

And here come my questions :

1) Is it even possible to have a spell without any component, like this exemple or by combo silent/still metamagic?
    2) If yes, does it work basically only by mind, and so usable in every situation till i'm conscious?
    3) Still if yes, is there any visible sign that i'm the user of the spell, without detect magic/arcane sight?
    4) What if i use the skill trick conceal spellcasting, same situation or anything different?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spell without component?

Quote Originally Posted by CrepeUscule View Post
    1) Is it even possible to have a spell without any component, like this exemple or by combo silent/still metamagic?
    2) If yes, does it work basically only by mind, and so usable in every situation till i'm conscious?
    3) Still if yes, is there any visible sign that i'm the user of the spell, without detect magic/arcane sight?
    4) What if i use the skill trick conceal spellcasting, same situation or anything different?
    1. Yes, why wouldn't there be? You've proven that it's possible already, Silent Flare is another example.
    2. Essentially, yes, barring any Concentration issues. Just like how a psionicist can manifest as long as they can think straight.
    3. Yes, there is. Casting a spell without components still requires you to concentrate noticeably (since it still provokes AoOs).
    4. Conceal Spellcasting is unrelated to components. If you use it, it's sleight of hand vs. spot to notice you casting, regardless of all other circumstances, including components.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Slap on invisible spell. Level Adjustment +0 for colorless fire... And possibly invisible monsters
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Along the same lines as the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick, page 117 of the Rules Compendium mentions the "Unobtrusive Spellcasting" use for sleight of hand, which should allow you to cast unnoticed by any that fail their spot checks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems to me that you are playing 3.5, but on the off chance that you are playing Pathfinder instead: The Unchained Rogue can get the Minor Magic rogue talent and pick up a level 0 spell (e.g. Acid Splash) as an at-will spell-like ability (which has no components in the first place).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Should i mention that Beguiler is a skill monkey, full caster, that gets silent and still as bonus feats, and sneak attack ... ?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Spell without component?

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Should i mention that Beguiler is a skill monkey, full caster, that gets silent and still as bonus feats, and sneak attack ... ?
    It does not grant sneak attack.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2017-05-23 at 12:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    The beguiler doesn' get sneak attack.

Coming back to the original post, I think the single class, that does everything that you want, is the psychic rogue. You just need hidden talent to get energy ray, and you're done.

It has a pretty decent sneak attack (probably more than a dual-class'd rogue), it provides most of the other rogue signature features (including trapfinding), full manifesting and obviously without any components, powers up to 5th level from a nice selection, 6 skill point per level.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2017-05-23 at 12:45 AM.