New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons and Dreamboats VIII: Bulletproof Nudity

Dwarf, Barefisted, Red hair (some not)

Spoiler
    Show

Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks! I appreciate it.

3. - Top - End - #543

So not an image, but something very interesting nonetheless:

Shad's argument, for those who aren't going to watch, is that Medieval and early Renaissance armor was designed to emphasize male sexual traits, insofar as this could be done without emphasizing safety on the battlefield. Namely, a very thin waist was often considered attractive on a man, so armor was designed to be narrow in that area in regions where that was the ideal, and large codpieces were very often fashionable. Therefore, Shad makes the argument that boob plate on armor specifically designed for women wouldn't be out of line. If historical male armor emphasizes an attractive waistline and a very sizeable manhood, armor which emphasizes female breasts would make complete sense, so long as the means of emphasis doesn't compromise defensive ability. So boob plate is actually realistic and perfectly in line with armor design philosophy, but any sort of exposed cleavage is still ridiculous.

I think it's a very interesting argument, at the very least.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxy View Post
    So not an image, but something very interesting nonetheless:

Shad's argument, for those who aren't going to watch, is that Medieval and early Renaissance armor was designed to emphasize male sexual traits, insofar as this could be done without emphasizing safety on the battlefield. Namely, a very thin waist was often considered attractive on a man, so armor was designed to be narrow in that area in regions where that was the ideal, and large codpieces were very often fashionable. Therefore, Shad makes the argument that boob plate on armor specifically designed for women wouldn't be out of line. If historical male armor emphasizes an attractive waistline and a very sizeable manhood, armor which emphasizes female breasts would make complete sense, so long as the means of emphasis doesn't compromise defensive ability. So boob plate is actually realistic and perfectly in line with armor design philosophy, but any sort of exposed cleavage is still ridiculous.

I think it's a very interesting argument, at the very least.
    Im skeptical. While I have no doubt that there was armor made to be ornate and visually appealing, it was often separate from actual battlefield armor. To say nothing of the fact that there were so many layers worn under the actual plate that a boob plate would not actually conform to the shape of a woman's torso at that point.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #545

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Im skeptical. While I have no doubt that there was armor made to be ornate and visually appealing, it was often separate from actual battlefield armor. To say nothing of the fact that there were so many layers worn under the actual plate that a boob plate would not actually conform to the shape of a woman's torso at that point.
    Shad is specifically talking about battlefield armor. Men did in fact wear thin waisted, large schlonged armor into battle.

As to boob plate, It's not supposed to conform to the shape of the torso, anymoreso than a codpiece conforms to the shape (and size) of the penis. A lot of armor also tends to overemphasize the shape of the hips, because of the narrow waistline. In fact, fitted armor already has a noticeable chest bulge, which doesn't conform to the shape of a man's torso. It's there to direct blows away to either side. What Shad argues is that this existing bulge could easily be moved higher and a bit out to emphasize the breasts, similar to a codpiece, which would fit into existing armor design philosophy, while not negatively impacting the ability of the armor to block incoming blows.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Some of those supposedly "enhancing" features on armor for men have nothing to do with sexuality, and everything to do with making the armor work as armor, in terms of what fit works best for movement, how gaps are covered, what angles work best for deflection and for where armor needs to be thicker and where it can be thinner, and so on.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #547

Some of those supposedly "enhancing" features on armor for men have nothing to do with sexuality, and everything to do with making the armor work as armor, in terms of what fit works best for movement, how gaps are covered, what angles work best for deflection and for where armor needs to be thicker and where it can be thinner, and so on.
    I don't think that really applies to the schlong armor, though, and, while articulated plate does need to rest the weight on your waist, the narrow waisted style isn't really the only way to go about that. To my knowledge, while the lorica segmentata did require the absence of a gut in order to distribute weight properly, it wasn't really narrow waisted compared to later European armors.

8. - Top - End - #548

IDK, a big codpiece or a narrow waist don't fundamentally compromise the armor the way decorative boobs would. I'm especially skeptical of the "move the dome higher" argument, since the ventral dome in most cuirasses is as much or more vertically aligned as it s horizontally aligned--it just wont look like boobs that much. I'm not an armor expert, but I don't think you'd want it that high at all unless it was basically a vertical ridge--you're gonna guide weapons towards your head and neck otherwise.

I think he's right that people's aesthetics influenced design--hell, greek/roman muscle cuirasses were a thing and most likely were worn in actual combat at certain points--so it's not at all implausible that in a world where women regularly operated in plate that plate would often reflect people's idea of a feminine aesthetic. I just don't think boobplate would have been the way to go unless it was pretty subtle.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to jump in with the group who think that the "breasts" on a breastplate would compromise it's effectiveness.

Traditional keel shaped breastplates direct force off to the side if you get hit pretty much anywhere on the breastplate. Having boobs on it would direct the force of some blows to the sternum, which is a really bad idea.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to jump in with the group who think that the "breasts" on a breastplate would compromise it's effectiveness.

Traditional keel shaped breastplates direct force off to the side if you get hit pretty much anywhere on the breastplate. Having boobs on it would direct the force of some blows to the sternum, which is a really bad idea.
    I was going to say this very thing. You could, I suppose, have a break-away boobplate on top of the regular breastplate, something thin and lightly attached, if you really wanted to emphasize your breasts without compromising the effectiveness of your armor.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cleavage in armor unquestionably reduces its effectiveness. You are adding material to deflect strikes towards your vitals: that is a design fail. The proportions of that particular boob plate are also quite absurd for people actually present on the battlefield. If we look at female athletes, a... generous top-heaviness is the first thing to go. That armor would be restricted to an extremely narrow range of women with a weird fat distribution AND a very particular level of fitness.

So sure, put that thing up next to those ridiculous gold leaf and 2000 hours of enamel engraving sets of decorative or trophy suits. But that isn't real armor.

This is real armor. It's just male armor with size adjustments for a female. You want to not die, you don't make boob cups.

Spoiler: real armor
    Show

Last edited by exelsisxax; 2019-01-10 at 09:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Aesthetic wise, I like the male armor fitted for females. Realistic wise, if men's armor accentuated thin waists and large codpieces, it would make sense that women would have boobplates too. But that was then, and women weren't allowed to serve. I see this argument as an argument of both perference and something of realistic value too. Also this thread is a godsend, found some great portraits that sparked some great NPC ideas. Bless this thread. Also can I get a tiefling female with blue skin, dark hair, and sorcerer that is not Jester?
    "I swear to every Mary Sue god you have made Ashe, if you have another settlement be a diet coke hobbit shire, you better believe me when my favored enemy are your bootleg halflings" - Daeshal, ranger

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrownsInCancer View Post
    Also can I get a tiefling female with blue skin, dark hair, and sorcerer that is not Jester?
    Spoiler: Will this do?
    Show

Also, have you tried looking for draenei?
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #554

Quote Originally Posted by DrownsInCancer View Post
    Aesthetic wise, I like the male armor fitted for females. Realistic wise, if men's armor accentuated thin waists and large codpieces, it would make sense that women would have boobplates too. But that was then, and women weren't allowed to serve. I see this argument as an argument of both perference and something of realistic value too. Also this thread is a godsend, found some great portraits that sparked some great NPC ideas. Bless this thread. Also can I get a tiefling female with blue skin, dark hair, and sorcerer that is not Jester?
    Again, as max_killjoy mentioned, these are not aesthetic choices. They are design elements of plate armor to make it more protective. The codpiece is big because it needs to protect your entire groin area, including the upper legs. You'd see the exact same thing on female armor. Some decorative, useless armor suits have stupid codpiece designs because they are not for function, just as some suits for females have boob cups.

Real armor has a boob plate, singular, that deflects blows outwards - in both male and female suits. There's just a difference in contour. No real armor has boob cups.

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    Again, as max_killjoy mentioned, these are not aesthetic choices. They are design elements of plate armor to make it more protective. The codpiece is big because it needs to protect your entire groin area, including the upper legs. You'd see the exact same thing on female armor. Some decorative, useless armor suits have stupid codpiece designs because they are not for function, just as some suits for females have boob cups.

Real armor has a boob plate, singular, that deflects blows outwards - in both male and female suits. There's just a difference in contour. No real armor has boob cups.
    Codpieces and wasp waists were definitely influenced by aesthetics and saw combat; the landsknechts, for instance, had pretty oversized codpieces that were well past the point of strict utility. As long as doing so doesn't come with a serious cost, people will shape equipment to their aesthetic preferences. A sōmen gets turned into a demon face, a helmet gets more crest than strictly necessary, etc.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
    Codpieces and wasp waists were definitely influenced by aesthetics and saw combat; the landsknechts, for instance, had pretty oversized codpieces that were well past the point of strict utility. As long as doing so doesn't come with a serious cost, people will shape equipment to their aesthetic preferences. A sōmen gets turned into a demon face, a helmet gets more crest than strictly necessary, etc.
    While this is technically true, a boobplate will never be anything other than lethally dangerous to actually wear into a fight. Theres a vast difference between taking an existing design element and changing it slightly for aesthetics, and changing it such that it dramatically changes its function.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... there should be something possible for that, if not to the degree fantasy would have you believe.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hmm... there should be something possible for that, if not to the degree fantasy would have you believe.
    Why? Sometimes an idea that seems dumb on the surface really is just that dumb.

19. - Top - End - #559

Honestly, I kind of doubt a boob plate would have any significant detrimental effect [the fact that it would certainly be uncomfortable notwithstanding].

Anyway, back to the shell-trap... I don't think it matters. Being a shell-trap isn't relevant if the penetrator in question won't penetrate anyway. Cutting or stabbing through a steel plate is a largely futile endeavor, and it's not relying primarily on it's deflective properties. Adding cups wouldn't magically compromise the plate's structural integrity. Also, that region is the best guarded part of the body.

That said, I'm sure fighting with cloth, chain, then a steel plate wedged between my breasts would certainly be less comfortable than otherwise, and might impair my ability to fight well, but that doesn't have anything to do with armor weakpoints and shell traps.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2019-01-11 at 02:02 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    Honestly, I kind of doubt a boob plate would have any significant detrimental effect [the fact that it would certainly be uncomfortable notwithstanding].

Anyway, back to the shell-trap... I don't think it matters. Being a shell-trap isn't relevant if the penetrator in question won't penetrate anyway. Cutting or stabbing through a steel plate is a largely futile endeavor, and it's not relying primarily on it's deflective properties. Adding cups wouldn't magically compromise the plate's structural integrity. Also, that region is the best guarded part of the body.

That said, I'm sure fighting with cloth, chain, then a steel plate wedged between my breasts would certainly be less comfortable than otherwise, and might impair my ability to fight well, but that doesn't have anything to do with armor weakpoints and shell traps.
    Even if the armor isn't actually destroyed, that's a lot of force that's suddenly smacking into an area not well suited to resisting that force. That's why armor is designed to deflect force away from the body instead of just absorbing it. It might not kill you outright, but it isn't doing anything good to you, that's for sure.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Firbolg in the Playground

Back on track, too much text.

Spoiler
    Show

Onion Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

And Friends

Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Can anyone help me with images of a heavily armored, female martial artist/unarmed fighter? Lots of monks in robes, not enough in plate. Long red hair preferable but not essential.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post

It's not penetration from the blades you have to worry about (although repeated hits on the armor can still bruise and exhaust), it's the blunts and the armor-piercers. And the bullets. And depending on who you ask maybe arrows and crossbow bolts. Shots in particular are far more likely to skip off of a convex design, following the path of least resistance. Likewise, a mordhau or a warhammer to the chest might fail to connect solidly if it slides off to the side of a convex shape. Concave armor design, on the other hand, may actually channel the force inward, allowing more of the energy to penetrate (resulting in bruising and broken ribs) and more rapidly compromising the integrity of the plate. In the case of something like a pike or an estoc, it might even cause hits to skid upwards towards the throat or downwards toward the pelvis, where there are gaps to be exploited. This is to say nothing of the fact that for boobplate to even be form-fitting on most women, the armor would need to be nearly skintight and thus at an additional mechanical disadvantage (plate is individually fit but not that individually fit).

Some aspects of armor design absolutely reflect an idealization of aspects of the male form. Some cultures and subcultures (Landsknechts have been mentioned) in particular used exaggerated presentation that was occasionally criticized even in its time. But in general plate was around for long enough and faced a consistent enough package of threats that armorers had learned to create idealized elements that were also functional. Boobplate, on the other hand, has no historical basis, would have numerous likely faults, and appears in fantasy art for one reason: to remind us what the character looks like without the boobplate on.
    Last edited by gkathellar; 2019-01-11 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Concave armor design, on the other hand, may actually channel the force inward, allowing more of the energy to penetrate (resulting in bruising and broken ribs) and more rapidly compromising the integrity of the plate.
    I'll add getting knocked off balance being more likely in boob plate for this reason.

Spoiler: No armour
    Show

Spoiler: Yes armour
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    I'll add getting knocked off balance being more likely in boob plate for this reason.

Spoiler: No armour
    Show

Spoiler: Yes armour
    Show
    Hmm...

Okay, "easier to lose your balance" sounds like a good point.

So boobplate at all is totally impossible without more or less negating the entire point of armor?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

So boobplate at all is totally impossible without more or less negating the entire point of armor?
    Depends how you want to define the point of armour. If the point is to strike a sensible balance between protection and ability to fight, all with the materials and the skills available - then no, boob plate is right out. But you don't have to pick that definition. That's just what I would do if I was going into battle, and the smith asked me what principles he should construct my armour on.

Spoiler: Let's not forget why we're here
    Show
    Last edited by hymer; 2019-01-12 at 07:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Depends how you want to define the point of armour. If the point is to strike a sensible balance between protection and ability to fight, all with the materials and the skills available - then no, boob plate is right out. But you don't have to pick that definition. That's just what I would do if I was going into battle, and the smith asked me what principles he should construct my armour on.
    So you can't without sacrificing defense or mobility or something? I know decorative parts tend to in general, but still... eh.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, in a lot of fight situations, a crappy breastplate is still probably better than none. But it would perform badly compared to more practical designs.

A shaped chest-protector isn't completely ridiculous, to be clear - they're worn in fencing under the jacket and in kyudo over the gi - but those are made from leather or plastic, are not the outer layer in a suit of armor, and are certainly not meant to deflect serious and unpredictable injuries (in fencing it's mostly because breast are softer and more prone to bruising than chest, and in kyudo it's because they might get hit by the bowstring).

If you really want form-fitting armor, very fine mail shirts were sometimes worn (often illegally) by the wealthy in civilian settings.

Anyway, fantasy isn't necessarily improved by realism. Boobplate is generally exploitative and completely implausible, but there's potential reasons why a person might like it as an aesthetic element other than simple titillation. Compromising on realism to emphasize aspects of a character's femininity and sexuality is usually suspect but not intrinsically wrong. But it will always be compromising on realism, and the notion that such an item would ever see use in serious fighting in the real world is indefensible.

Here's some other things:

Spoiler: welp
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I love those vegetable knights, Leon.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm...

Okay, "easier to lose your balance" sounds like a good point.

It doesn't "negate the entire point." It's still armor.

It's just worse than it would be without the boobs on it. And being less effective at its job just to look sexy puts it on the "chainmail bikini" scale. Not so far down the scale as that, but on it.
    Last edited by Mike_G; 2019-01-12 at 08:23 PM.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It doen't "negate the entire point." It's still armor.

It's just worse than it would be without the boobs on it. And being less effective at its job just to look sexy puts it on the "chainmail bikini" scale. Not so far down the scale as that, but on it.
    Deflecting blows into the middle of your chest actually is kind of worse than just wearing regular clothes. At least those wont typically guide your enemy's weapon into center mass.