New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons and Dreamboats VIII: Bulletproof Nudity

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Deflecting blows into the middle of your chest actually is kind of worse than just wearing regular clothes. At least those wont typically guide your enemy's weapon into center mass.
    Steel is hard to cut or stab through, even if the blow gets channeled into a valley. The force will knock you back more, and maybe do some blunt trauma, but it's better than nothing.

If you said to me, "I'm gonna hit you with this sword, you can wear a boobed out breastplate or your street clothes," I'd take the breastplate.

Good armor > Bad armor > no armor as far as protecting you from sharp things.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Steel is hard to cut or stab through, even if the blow gets channeled into a valley. The force will knock you back more, and maybe do some blunt trauma, but it's better than nothing.

If you said to me, "I'm gonna hit you with this sword, you can wear a boobed out breastplate or your street clothes," I'd take the breastplate.

Good armor > Bad armor > no armor as far as protecting you from sharp things.
    Being hit dead center with a baseball bat still has a moderate chance of killing you. The danger is not necessarily the cutting power of the sword.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Being hit dead center with a baseball bat still has a moderate chance of killing you. The danger is not necessarily the cutting power of the sword.
    A hit that would be deflected into the center of the chest by boob plate is a hit that would still have impacted the side of the chest without it- endangering rather than the sternum, the heart and lungs. I would still take my chances with the boob plate over no armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

But it's better than a cotton sweatshirt is what I'm saying.

It's a bad design. But a badly designed piece of steel is better than no steel at protecting you.

And swords are not baseball bats. The blunt impact is pretty low, the blade is light(ish) and balanced near the hand to be agile, not near the point of impact like a hammer. It relies on the edge or point to do most of the damage.

That's why we can do HEMA with realistic weighted swords with a blunt edge and not die all that often. I wouldn't do HEMA sparring with realistically weighted maces. Because those are just maces.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

We're looking for a narrow condition in which a non-lethal strike becomes potentially lethal because of the shape of the armor plate, and I'm not certain that there is such a condition.

An otherwise ineffective strike would continue to be ineffective, and otherwise penetrating strike would continue to be penetrating. The shape doesn't magnify the force of the strike or anything, and a regular plate isn't notably more deflective in shape.

The only real thing I can see would be if the manufacture of the shape compromised the integrity of the material at the joint, which is I think probably a non-factor.

It's silly, sure, to stamp a plate into the shape of breasts. However, I don't believe doing so would relevantly compromise the mechanical protective effects of the armor, and it definitely wouldn't be a "oh, you shouldn't do that if you want to live".

The most compelling reason, besides aesthetics, to not wear a boobplate would be because armor isn't worn against the skin. There are multiple layers of cloth and chainmail armor underneath the outer plate, and underneath all of that I'm not convinced that my breasts would be well enough defined to place a shaped plate over.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2019-01-13 at 01:47 AM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    A hit that would be deflected into the center of the chest by boob plate is a hit that would still have impacted the side of the chest without it- endangering rather than the sternum, the heart and lungs.
    Allow me to be pedantic. [Granted, just fill in the retroactive forms.] Thank you!
    Whenever you wear armour, even if it somehow did not affect mobility at all, it would sometimes catch things that would not have touched you without it - simply because it enlarges the target box that is you. Certain kinds of boob plate would be particularly egregious about this.

I would still take my chances with the boob plate over no armor.
    Me too. And I don't think anyone in this thread is saying they wouldn't, outside of some pretty specific circumstances. But I wouldn't make boob plate for combat purposes if I had a choice. Fill the gap between the boobs instead. It's quicker and easier to do, and makes stronger armour that is easier to maintain. Make something for parade purposes you can put over it, made of textile, if you absolutely must have boobage.

Spoiler: This is a picture thread, remember?
    Show
    Last edited by hymer; 2019-01-13 at 08:35 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post

Here's some other things:

Spoiler: welp
    Show

Your images don't show up, I think imgur hates us or something.

Edit: Huh, now they do.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-01-13 at 08:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Your images don't show up, I think imgur hates us or something.

Edit: Huh, now they do.
    Imgur doesn't let us embed images anymore, I think.

Who wants that to be the next thread title?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: As long as everyone's arguing about 'realism' in armor...
    Show

Edit to add: By Johnson Ting
    Last edited by Arbane; 2019-01-15 at 12:11 AM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

And yet somehow they manage to have more believable breastplates, and some other bits of the armor, than a lot of fantasy-genre artwork...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Show

Awesome, where did you find those?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Awesome, where did you find those?
    I don't know who made them - someone posted them on RPG.net, so I'm sharing them here.

Spoiler: No rollerblades, alas
    Show
    Last edited by Arbane; 2019-01-13 at 07:18 PM.
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

13. - Top - End - #583
    Pixie in the Playground

Long time lurker here. Need some help. Playing a wolf scarred small aasimar paladin. Basically, I need halfling sized, dog faced male, preferably with armor and shield

14. - Top - End - #584
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonomen20 View Post
    Long time lurker here. Need some help. Playing a wolf scarred small aasimar paladin. Basically, I need halfling sized, dog faced male, preferably with armor and shield
    Small Werewolf fighter which i thought a nice loose term for what was asked got me a lot of Kate Beckinsale...

Spoiler
    Show

Not what you wanted but it looked cool

Last edited by Leon; 2019-01-14 at 11:18 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Oh man, I adore those. I want to play in a roller-jousting game now. 11/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Small Werewolf fighter which i thought a nice loose term for what was asked got me a lot of Kate Beckinsale...
    Sounds nice!

Spoiler: KB Valerious
    Show
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

The rollerblading knights are by Johnson Ting.

18. - Top - End - #588

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

19. - Top - End - #589

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #590
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I've got a fun challenge for the thread. I'm playing a warlock with a celestial pact and flavoring her as a magical girl, a la Sailor Moon or Madoka Magica. Her fully-fledged magical girl outfit won't kick until 2nd level, when she gets Mask of Many Faces. Until then, she's stuck as a human healer-acolyte with leather armor and a crossbow. After 2nd level, I'm planning for her to be a moon-themed magical girl with cold/radiant spells and illusions. I'm interested to see what art out there could apply to her in both her "civilian clothes" and her magical outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

21. - Top - End - #591

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #592

I made slight modifications to some art you all put me towards finding awhile back. Funny how as DM you might get an idea that bounces around in the background of the story for a few months. The original whoever created it is 1,000% better than my clone stamped hack but I felt a calmer version was best for my group.

Original on the right. Be kind about my photoshop skills please.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

Original right next to a mod:

Red Eyes:

Green Eyes:

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    I made slight modifications to some art you all put me towards finding awhile back. Funny how as DM you might get an idea that bounces around in the background of the story for a few months. The original whoever created it is 1,000% better than my clone stamped hack but I felt a calmer version was best for my group.

Original on the right. Be kind about my photoshop skills please.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

Original right next to a mod:

Red Eyes:

Green Eyes:
    Imgur doesn't work on this site anymore.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

I'm seeing them, at least right now.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

25. - Top - End - #595

I'm seeing them, at least right now.
    It worked on my pc but not my cell. Interesting.

What's the preferred hosting site?

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have a bit of a specific request--

Male, human or half-elf looking, with some sort of leaf or branch pattern (like a tattoo) featuring prominently over part of their face. Casting some sort of nature magic is a plus.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure what the campaigns are,

Spoiler: but these are definitely PCs
    Show

By Gael Bertrand

28. - Top - End - #598
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    I've got a fun challenge for the thread. I'm playing a warlock with a celestial pact and flavoring her as a magical girl, a la Sailor Moon or Madoka Magica. Her fully-fledged magical girl outfit won't kick until 2nd level, when she gets Mask of Many Faces. Until then, she's stuck as a human healer-acolyte with leather armor and a crossbow. After 2nd level, I'm planning for her to be a moon-themed magical girl with cold/radiant spells and illusions. I'm interested to see what art out there could apply to her in both her "civilian clothes" and her magical outfit.
    Does it matter how large the crossbow is?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm not sure what the campaigns are,

Spoiler: but these are definitely PCs
    Show

By Gael Bertrand
    First can only be RIFTS.

Second I'd say Spirit of the Century, or a similar pulp-adventure setting.

Dunno about the third.

30. - Top - End - #600

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Leon; 2019-01-20 at 11:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet