New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons and Dreamboats VIII: Bulletproof Nudity

Spoiler
    Show
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: I have a GREAT idea for my animal companion!
    Show

Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

well you'll learn fast to feed it on time
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Spoiler: I have a GREAT idea for my animal companion!
    Show

Spoiler: Realism Nitpicks
    Show
    That seems like a poor trigger mechanism for the cat. Is the intent that you have to pick the cat up and point it in the right direction to shoot?

Also, the cat's going to have to get human assistance to reload.

That's pretty awesome. Also, it's a cat's dream come true. Finally it has the secret of the humans' loud noise death ray.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-01-23 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Spoiler: Realism Nitpicks
    Show
    That seems like a poor trigger mechanism for the cat. Is the intent that you have to pick the cat up and point it in the right direction to shoot?

Also, the cat's going to have to get human assistance to reload.

That's pretty awesome. Also, it's a cat's dream come true. Finally it has the secret of the humans' loud noise death ray.
    Maybe its a psychic cat. It can telekinetically reload and press the trigger.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #606
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Can I have some help with a character portrait? I need a picture of someone who is equally at home digging through accounts and interrogating syndicate members about where loaned money has gone, possibly after knocking them unconscious with a quarterstaff.
    Some magic is fine, nothing major or offensive, a D&D Prestidigitation or Mage Hand is the limit.
    Quarterstaff would be nice, but not needed
    1880s Chicago is the setting
    Suit or coat would be nice.
    Human Male.
    Thank you for your time and effort.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Can I have some help with a character portrait? I need a picture of someone who is equally at home digging through accounts and interrogating syndicate members about where loaned money has gone, possibly after knocking them unconscious with a quarterstaff.
    Some magic is fine, nothing major or offensive, a D&D Prestidigitation or Mage Hand is the limit.
    Quarterstaff would be nice, but not needed
    1880s Chicago is the setting
    Suit or coat would be nice.
    Human Male.
    Thank you for your time and effort.
    Okay, let's see. This sounds like a mixup of Wax and Wayne from the second Mistborn series, with a personality trending towards Wax, and a general fighting style trending towards wayne.

Spoiler
    Show

edit: those should be three images. If any don't show up, please do tell.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-01-29 at 08:53 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

8. - Top - End - #608

SamuraiGuy

Thanks! Found one from the suggestions, but I'm not sure it fits entirely. Also, cool books, looking now.
    Edit: My charecter also has some of Wayne's methods, given +12 bluff, +8 disguise at level 1
    Last edited by JMS; 2019-01-30 at 10:08 AM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

9. - Top - End - #609
    Pixie in the Playground

I need a picture of tanks fighting monsters, or a dragon fighting aircraft, or just anything modern fighting a fantasy army. Even a superhero fighting them would work. I havent been able to find much so Im hoping someone here has something.
    Beyond Heroes: A site dedicated to heroic roleplaying of all eras including fantasy, pulp, modern and future with my own magic system and compatible with OD&D, AD&D 1E and 2E. And a section for the Palladium rpgs. Most articles available as downloadable PDFs either from the main site or the Facebook group.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksteel View Post
    I need a picture of tanks fighting monsters, or a dragon fighting aircraft, or just anything modern fighting a fantasy army. Even a superhero fighting them would work. I havent been able to find much so Im hoping someone here has something.
    The recent anime GATE might help. That was basically its entire premise.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    The recent anime GATE might help. That was basically its entire premise.
    There's also stuff from the movie Reign of Fire:

Spoiler: Fairly crap film, in all honesty, but it had some fairly decent imagery.
    Show

Spoiler: I also happened to find this image from GURPS on TVTropes
    Show

Spoiler: And this from the Korean disaster movie D-War
    Show

Beyond that, the TVTropes pages for "Weird Historical War" and "Magic Versus Technology War" might also lead you to other stuff you could use.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-02-02 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

But it's better than a cotton sweatshirt is what I'm saying.

It's a bad design. But a badly designed piece of steel is better than no steel at protecting you.

And swords are not baseball bats. The blunt impact is pretty low, the blade is light(ish) and balanced near the hand to be agile, not near the point of impact like a hammer. It relies on the edge or point to do most of the damage.
    There's also the matter of how swords are a lot more flexible, in terms of a stab.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #613

Funny you should speak of it! I have a pencil sketch of a SAM launcher engaging dragons that I made when I was bored a few days ago.

It's not high quality art, but since it came up...

Spoiler
    Show

There is a dearth of art of FlaK guns and missiles swatting dragons from the sky. I like to feature VT-fused quick-firing air-defense weapons mounted on castle towers and city walls in my D&D games; to explain why the kingdom isn't perpetually threatened by dragon raids, and why dragons live in mountain caves instead of the flaming ruins of cities and farms.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2019-02-02 at 02:26 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    There is a dearth of art of FlaK guns and missiles swatting dragons from the sky. I like to feature VT-fused quick-firing air-defense weapons mounted on castle towers and city walls in my D&D games; to explain why the kingdom isn't perpetually threatened by dragon raids, and why dragons live in mountain caves instead of the flaming ruins of cities and farms.
    VT? What's VT, precioussss?
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

15. - Top - End - #615

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Variable Time
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

16. - Top - End - #616

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    It stands for "Variable Time", which is a code word used to refer to proximity fuses.

Hitting fast moving aircraft with antitaircraft fire is very hard. Most AA was [and to some degree still is], conducted by firing lots of shells very quickly in the general direction of a flyer. However, this isn't very efficient, and a lot of small-caliber AA fire also isn't very lethal.

Heavy AA guns, like the 8.8cm FlaK gun, were much more destructive. They didn't need to score a direct hit; since the shells exploded, a near miss could still be lethal. The question is, how do you get the shell to explode near the target. At the beginning of WWII, this was accomplished by having rangefinders determine the altitude and bearing of the aircraft, and setting a altitude or time fuse to explode when the shell arrived at the height the airplane was flying. However, if the airplane was maneuvering, or your rangefinding was slightly off, your shells would explode too early or too late, and not threaten the plane. Late in the war, the allies invented a proximity fuse for the 5" DP guns, codenamed "Variable Time" fuses to hide their nature from Axis spies, which didn't need to predict how high the plane was. They had a miniature radar set that would tell the shell when the plane was close so it could explode. This increased the lethal area pretty drastically, reduced the rounds-per-kill by like half, and was generally a massive boost for allied AA.

The majority of kills was still accomplished via more dakka, but the VT fuses were a major breakthrough in AA warfare.

I imagine that this effect can be fairly easily accomplished with D&D magic; by enchanting a shell or bolt with a detection spell linked to whatever creates the explosion; since both detection and explosion magics are widely available [and at fairly low level]. Something salvoing large volumes of such projectiles into the sky should be reasonably sufficient to deter all but the most determined of dragon/airship/flying nasty assault, especially considering that most artillery options would fairly easily outrage most retalitory magic options.

There fundamentally must be some kind of anti-monster magic/technology mix reasonably available to kingdoms and cities for society to exist in a world where a random flying sky-lizard could swoop in and burn your wheat fields on tuesday. I chose to feature heavy defensive emplacements protecting cities, because I like artillery and have faith in engineering to overcome natural challenges. Theoretically, a dedicated rapid-response dragonslayer corps, or preemptive measures like hunting them down and killing them before they can grow, etc. could also serve to secure the cities and the countryside against monster threat.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2019-02-02 at 05:06 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

17. - Top - End - #617
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks very much for all the pictures and the links.
    Beyond Heroes: A site dedicated to heroic roleplaying of all eras including fantasy, pulp, modern and future with my own magic system and compatible with OD&D, AD&D 1E and 2E. And a section for the Palladium rpgs. Most articles available as downloadable PDFs either from the main site or the Facebook group.

18. - Top - End - #618

RangerGuy

Might not be quite what you wanted, but here is a link to one of my favorite pictures.
    https://goo.gl/images/ZeXLiw
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

19. - Top - End - #619

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    It stands for "Variable Time", which is a code word used to refer to proximity fuses.
    *slaps own head*... I really should have recognised that. Spent enough time on military history, and I knew perfectly well about the introduction of proximity fuses, just had forgotten the codename. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

But it's better than a cotton sweatshirt is what I'm saying.

It's a bad design. But a badly designed piece of steel is better than no steel at protecting you.

And swords are not baseball bats. The blunt impact is pretty low, the blade is light(ish) and balanced near the hand to be agile, not near the point of impact like a hammer. It relies on the edge or point to do most of the damage.

That's why we can do HEMA with realistic weighted swords with a blunt edge and not die all that often. I wouldn't do HEMA sparring with realistically weighted maces. Because those are just maces.
    Well, yeah, that's the thing--you don't bash away at plate armor with a sword. Ideally, if you're fighting an opponent wearing plate, you want to use a mace or war hammer or the like, not a sword. If you do have to use a sword to fight a plate armor-wearing opponent, you try to get the point of your blade into one of the gaps in the armor, not bash it against the plates (which is just a good way to damage the edge of your blade).

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Well, yeah, that's the thing--you don't bash away at plate armor with a sword. Ideally, if you're fighting an opponent wearing plate, you want to use a mace or war hammer or the like, not a sword. If you do have to use a sword to fight a plate armor-wearing opponent, you try to get the point of your blade into one of the gaps in the armor, not bash it against the plates (which is just a good way to damage the edge of your blade).
    Yeah. I know.

This was in response to somebody a million pages back who said that boob plate armor was worse than no armor at all, specifically referencing swords in the previous post.

To clarify, a piece of badly shaped but hardened steel is better to have on when hit by any pre-gunpowder weapon than no armor. Not as good as properly shaped piece of steel, but better than linen.

There will come a day when a reply on the internet does not focus on the least relevant detail of a lengthy post...

BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!!!!!
    Last edited by Mike_G; 2019-02-04 at 03:51 PM.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Actually, depending on the sword and quality of the plate, that's exactly what you would do. Beating somebody with a sword isn't great for the sword, but they still have mass, and will still disfigure the armor similar to an axe or mace if you hit them hard enough. It wasn't ideal, but penetrating plate was perfectly possible with a sword, if harder.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #623

By all means have the discussion but try and post a picture with the text at the very least.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Leon; 2019-02-05 at 09:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Actually, depending on the sword and quality of the plate, that's exactly what you would do. Beating somebody with a sword isn't great for the sword, but they still have mass, and will still disfigure the armor similar to an axe or mace if you hit them hard enough. It wasn't ideal, but penetrating plate was perfectly possible with a sword, if harder.
    Good plate (hell, good mail) will rarely, if ever, deform under the kind of weight you can put behind any slashing weapon lighter than a pole axe. We can see this reflected in how period European fighting systems dealt with armor - usually a combination of half-swording (a technique where one hand grasps the sword halfway up the blade, allowing for powerful and precise thrusts at extremely close range), so called “murder strokes” (blows delivered with the pommel or studs on the guard, sometimes while holding the sword by the blade like a long mace or warhammer), and wrestling (usually with the intent of immobilizing the opponent for a killing blow through the gaps in the armor). Similar doctrines can be found in surviving battlefield martial arts from Japan, where armor was slightly less robust - swordfighters were trained to attack the gaps found at an armored opponent’s joints.

Armor piercing weapons work by focusing a lot of energy in a small area, either by accelerating a heavy object around a pivot (maces), by presenting an extremely small striking point with strong mechanical support (estocs), or both (warhammers). Slashing weapons simply do not work these ways (although many can approximate the second on the thrust), instead distributing energy along a line.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

25. - Top - End - #625

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #628

I... don't have any offerings. But I was wondering if I could get some help. I've been having a bit of trouble looking so this seemed the place to check.

I'm looking for a picture of a middle aged gentleman in ragged clothing. Someone who looks like they live on the street. Not someone particularly old, or dirty, just someone that would blend into the background on the street.

Spoiler: example
    Show

Someone like the topsy king from fallen london if that helps but with greying hair.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-02-11 at 01:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Captain Braxton the Vagrant
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630

I'm looking for a "powerhouse" style character. Basically a physical combatant that augments him/herself with supernatural power. In other words, a 3.5 or Pathfinder style psychic warrior. Preferably in the act of using their powers, maybe punching through a solid object, partially transforming them self or wreathing them self in some sort of energy. I'd appreciate it if someone could find this for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic