New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Can we talk about Let's Build a Setting threads?

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTapeKatar View Post
    That sounds like it was pretty sweet. Got any specific moments you could share? I'd be interested to see how this was run.
    I could make a highlight reel, but it's not particularly representative, despite having some fun moments. There was the rising rainstorm, with the fisherfolk trying to make sense of the fish that it brought up from the depths. There was a group of scattered islands with somewhat similar cultures and languages from what was an ancient mountain kingdom, perpetually at war, traversed by the PCs by sewing half of one of their sigils into the balloon and then claiming they were either putting it up on a ship they captured or taking it down on a ship they captured depending on who they ran across. There was the time that one of their draft wyverns scuffed a dock, they couldn't pay the dock scuffing fee without exchanging money for a local currency, they couldn't exchange money for a local currency without establishing a predatory account at a bank*, and so they ended up breaking people out of jail and fleeing the city in exchange for what they actually wanted when they landed. There was also a moment where one of the PCs lit a docked guild balloon on fire out of spite, after dealing with several cities in quick succession that had really blatant guild favoritism going on.

The campaign structure was basically that a fishing boat accidentally found an ancient treasure in one of their nets, which included a book written in a foreign script. They then traveled the world to find somewhere which would really value this ancient treasure, to sell it for a get rich quick scheme that ended up taking two in game years. This search took them to several of the places listed in the thread, brought up several of the organizations, and was generally very rooted in that particular setting (with changes) and a lot of fun.

*That whole island society was heavily morphed by the debtors prison it had, and it only had that prison because it needed people to constantly run pumps, as a caldera city with some slight leaks that let the fog in if the pumps weren't worked.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2017-06-26 at 05:36 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.