New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Quickdraw light shields, quickdraw feat, and full attacks? PF

Okay so after a bit of googling without finding any satisfactory answers, I was going to post this question in the simple RAW answers thread but it seemed to me like this conundrum needed some more "breathing room" so to speak to get worked out.

WARNING: the following question may involve semantics, poorly worded RAW and copious use of the words 'quickdraw' and 'Quick Draw'.

So for getting on to the actual question. I was reading about quickdraw light shields which states;

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Quickdraw light shield
    Benefit: If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may don or put away a quickdraw shield as a swift action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw a light or one-handed weapon with one hand and a quickdraw shield with the other in the time it would normally take you to draw one weapon. If you have the Quick Draw feat, you may don or put away a quickdraw shield as a free action.
    So, lets have Joe be are example character. Joe is a Fighter type. He has the Quick Draw feat and uses a quickdraw shield. In his main hand he wields a typical longsword. Lets say Joe is currently adventuring in a dungeon, so he has his sword drawn (but not his shield). Suddenly, a dastardly orc rushes Joe, and and attacks him with a spoon. Fortunately, the orc misses, and it's now Joe's turn.

Joe is a pragmatic veteran, who knows that as a free action he can two hand his longsword for extra damage on his attacks. So he makes a full attack with his longsword against the orc. Joe gets in a couple of hits, but the orc isn't down. So to better defend himself, Joe makes use of the Quick Draw feat and his quickdraw shield in order to defend himself against the orc's imminent counter attack. So, as a free action, he switches to one hand on his longsword, as another free action he draws his shield, and since it's a quickdraw shield, as a free action he is also able to don it.

****So, for part 'a' of my question. Has all of this been kosher so far according to RAW? The way I read it, the last sentence of the quickdraw shied text by RAW seems to support my above scenario. However I have the inkling feeling that RAI was meant for the donning and putting away to be part of a move action, as implied by the first sentence of the quickdraw shield description.

Next, the Orc jabs at Joe with his spoon, but his blocked by Joe's shield. It's back to Joe's turn, and now he's faced with a dilemma. He can't do as much damage with his longsword if it's only in one hand, but he can't two hand his longsword as his other hand is holding his shield. But he has the Quick Draw feat and a quickdraw light shield, so he can put it away as a free action, two hand his longsword, full attack, and (if danger is still about) whip out his shield again and don it, both as free actions.

****Which brings me to part 'b'. Is that second part all good according to RAW? The only wrinkle I can find is that donning a shield (or strapping as they describe it) is a move action (made into a free action by Quick Draw and the quickdraw light shied), and removing (or unstrapping) is also a move action, and unstrapping is not called out in the item as something it covers. But at the same time if donning it is a free action, and putting it away is a free action, why is "removing" a move action?
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2017-05-23 at 01:47 AM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Quickdraw light shields, quickdraw feat, and full attacks? PF

You overlook the point that you can put on a quickdraw shield with a swift actions _as part of_ a move action.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    You overlook the point that you can put on a quickdraw shield with a swift actions _as part of_ a move action.
    I believe I did acknowledge that. Joe has both a quickdraw shield and the Quick Draw feat. The first sentence of the shield description boils down to: "If you possess +1 BaB then you can don or put away the shield as a swift action while you are moving".

But the last sentence clearly says "If you have the Quick Draw feat, you may don or put away a shield as a free action". It does not say that if you have the Quick Draw feat, the time is reduced to a free action. In other words, the last sentence seems independent from the first.

Also, by "put on" do you mean don? I take it you meant don.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    Okay so after a bit of googling without finding any satisfactory answers, I was going to post this question in the simple RAW answers thread but it seemed to me like this conundrum needed some more "breathing room" so to speak to get worked out.

WARNING: the following question may involve semantics, poorly worded RAW and copious amounts of the word 'quickdraw'.

So for getting on to the actual question. I was reading about quickdraw light shields which states;

So, lets have Joe be are example character. Joe is a Fighter type. He has the Quick Draw feat and uses a quickdraw shield. In his main hand he wields a typical longsword. Lets say Joe is currently adventuring in a dungeon, so he has his sword drawn (but not his shield). Suddenly, a dastardly orc rushes Joe, and and attacks him with a spoon. Fortunately, the orc misses, and it's now Joe's turn.

Joe is a pragmatic veteran, who knows that as a free action he can two hand his longsword for extra damage on his attacks. So he makes a full attack with his longsword against the orc. Joe gets in a couple of hits, but the orc isn't down. So to better defend himself, Joe makes use of the Quick Draw feat and his quickdraw shield in order to defend himself against the orc's imminent counter attack. So, as a free action, he switches to one hand on his longsword, as another free action he draws his shield, and since it's a quickdraw shield, as a free action he is also able to don it.

****So, for part 'a' of my question. Has all of this been kosher so far according to RAW? The way I read it, the last sentence by RAW seems to support my above scenario. However I have the inkling feeling that RAI was meant for the donning and putting away to be part of a move action, as implied by the first sentence of the quickdraw shield description.

Next, the Orc jabs at Joe with his spoon, but his blocked by Joe's shield. It's back to Joe's turn, and now he's faced with a dilemma. He can't do as much damage with his longsword if it's only in one hand, but he can't two hand his longsword as his other hand is holding his shield. But he has the Quick Draw feat and a quickdraw light shield, so he can put it away as a free action, two hand his longsword, full attack, and (if danger is still about) whip out his shield again and don it, both as free actions.

****Which brings me to part 'b'. Is that second part all good according to RAW? The only wrinkle I can find is that donning a shield (or strapping as they describe it) is a move action (made into a free action by Quick Draw and the quickdraw light shied), and removing (or unstrapping) is also a move action, and unstrapping is not called out in the item as something it covers. But at the same time if donning it is a free action, and putting it away is a free action, why is "removing" a move action?
    As far as I can tell, you've got it right. By RAI, quickdraw shields basically seem to be intended to function like weapons with regards to how you "draw" them, with only two minor differences. First, it also takes a swift action to don them as part of a move with a +1 bonus; this seems primarily intended to give characters with TWF a small advantage over those without any draw-affecting feats. The second is being able to put it away as a free action using the Quick Draw feat. Frankly, this is a little odd, but since there's no language anywhere else that I know of to suggest "putting away" a shield, as an action, doesn't include removing it from your arm, I have to assume that the intention is for you to be able to don and store it both in the same round.

Until errata or FAQs suggest otherwise, I'd just consider it a little bonus for being sufficiently unoptimized that you actually took Quick Draw. :P

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks all good to me, though you should keep this little sentence in mind:
    [T]here may be limits to the number of free actions you can perform in a turn.
    So the GM can limit this if they think it is too much, you are up to four free actions in example b (if you don the shield again at the end).