New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dreadful aspect + spells; what to do???

TL;DR
    So.... which spell would you use along with dreadful aspect?
    A) Spirit guardians?
    B) Web?
    C) Wall of fire?
    D) Other?
    Spoiler: Dreadful Aspect (paraphrasing from memory)
    Show

Uses an action. Enemies within 30 feet make a wis save against DC, if they fail they are frightened (disadvantage on attacks, skill checks, and cannot move closer to you). If affected, they only get additional saves to end the effect but only if they finish their turn more than 30 feet away from you. If not, they dont get a save.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler: Additional info
    Show
    Toying around with yet another sorcadin build (oathbreaker/ favored soul), and once again I hit a brick wall.
    I'm having a hard time figuring out which spell pairs best with the channel divinity of the oathbreaker, dreadful aspect.

Spoiler: Web
    Show
    I am leaning to web, but since I cannot quicken it and use it carefully at the same time, that probably means that I have to wait 2 turns to use this in the most effective way -ie careful- (and with a low initiative probably, that's doesn't seem like the best plan).

Would quickened web do the trick?

Can I reall justify sth like:
    Action: DA
    Bonus action: Spiritual weapon (or some other bonus action or quickened non-concentration spell) -end of turn 1
    Action: Careful web
    (Bonus action: spiritual weapon) -end of turn 2
    Or does it take too long?

Spoiler: Spirit guardians
    Show
    Then I look at spirit guardians (that everyone loves so much), and I am thinking that the damage is ok, and the slow effect is good enough to prevent anyone adjacent to me (with a move speed lower than 40 feet) to exit DA's radius in one turn while also taking the disengage action (the slow effect is not enough to stop anyone not adjacent to me to exit DA's radius though). Plus, I can also quicken it for great action economy. But then I think that I am stacking two effects that both give enough of an incentive to the enemies to move away from me (while I really want the opposite when DA is in play).

Is spirit guardians that good as people say, to justify quickening it and pairing it with DA?

Spoiler: Wall of fire / Blade Barrier
    Show
    Then I am looking at some wall spells (more specifically wall of fire and blade barrier). I like a lot the flavour of wall of fire (as a ''you are stuck in here with me, muhaha'' kind of thing), but unfortunately I cannot think of a way to make it work with dreadful aspect. Blade barrier seems more flexible, but again, not great, especially considering that it uses a high enough level spell slot and that it cannot be moved/reshaped in subsequent rounds.

Any other good options I have probably missed?

Dont limit yourself to the options I listed, anything from the paladin's, cleric's and sorcerer's spell list is fair game, but I am mostly interested in concentration options (that said, if you have a good suggestion about a non-concentration spell that pairs well with DA, I am all ears).
    ps: Sentinel is not to be picked.
    Last edited by Corran; 2017-05-23 at 12:18 PM.
    Hacks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Dreadful aspect + spells; what to do???

Upcasting Hold Person/Similar spells usually seems to do the trick.

What weapon were you planning on using? (Because if let's say you use a Halberd and UA material is allowed you could just get the tunnel fighter style, everything moving from anywhere between <5 to <15 feet of you is going to give you an AoO once it tries to leave that range. (Ofcourse this only makies Sentinel more attractive, which you don't want to take)

Otherwise Wall of Fire does seem attractive, but I'm put off a bit by its ringed wall diameter (only 20 feet). You could set it up so the inside of the wall deals no damage, but instead the outside of it. Hell, combine this with Tunnel Fighter and anything force-fleeing from you take an AoO + 5d8 (+5d8 if it stops running no further than 10 feet outside of the wall)

If you're able to ''build'' your way around it (huehue) you could consider Wall of Stone, as it can make a much bigger wall in 1 action. But all in all Blade Barrier just seems to be the best option for keeping things walled in with you, considering it's massive 60 feet diameter.

You've also got the slightly more flexible Mass Suggestion and can command twelve creatures to ''Stay put, a terrasque is lurking and its only way of seeing is through sensing movement''. As long as they fail their save they have to follow the command for the entire duration or until damaged. (This way you can just take care of them 1 at a time, but it's also a lvl 6 slot. It's not a huge problem as sorcery point swapping but it's nevertheless a big cost)
    Last edited by Willywilliamrtx; 2017-05-23 at 02:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hold person and... banishment
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywilliamrtx View Post
    Upcasting Hold Person/Similar spells usually seems to do the trick.
    Hmm, I have my reservations about hold person. Paralyzing frightened targets does not have the best synergy (I mean, if you paralyze them, why frighten in the first place?), and the action economy is not great (as you are better off following a quick hold person with an attack sequence rather than with DA. Though it could perhaps work as a 2-rounds combo (meaning using DA in the first round, and quickening hold person and attacking in the second round, targeting enemies that weren't affected by DA -though again, that takes 2 rounds and it is usually best to paralyze during round 1 for the enemies to miss on attack opportunities from the get-go. Moreover, it might have some difficulties pulling it off, as far as positioning is concenred (meaning that you want to stay next to the frightened targets to pose a threat for them not to get out of DA's radius, but you also want to position yourself next to the paralyzed targets to smite the c**p out of them).

But that gave me an idea. Banishment! Use DA with your action in the first round, and use quickened (upcast) banishment with your bonus action in the same turn, targeting enemies that were not affected by DA. That will give you time to deal with the frightened targets as banishment would take care of enemies not affected by DA. Dont think there is anti-synergy here, there is even some synergy I would dare say, as this approach allows you to focus more on dealing with the frightened targets. Hmmm, sounds good enough but I really hope for more...

Spoiler: Details about fighting style
    Show
    What weapon were you planning on using? (Because if let's say you use a Halberd and UA material is allowed you could just get the tunnel fighter style, everything moving from anywhere between <5 to <15 feet of you is going to give you an AoO once it tries to leave that range. (Ofcourse this only makies Sentinel more attractive, which you don't want to take)
    S&B. So longsword (it would be morningstar if I ever played this character -this is just a mental excercise of sorts).
    So no reach (unfortunately). Avoiding tunnel fighting on purpose (I really dont like it, though yeah, it's rediculously strong under the proper build). Sentinel is out too (focusing on warcaster and BB for softer control -hard control would come through spells or CD's).

Spoiler: Wall of fire
    Show
    Otherwise Wall of Fire does seem attractive, but I'm put off a bit by its ringed wall diameter (only 20 feet). You could set it up so the inside of the wall deals no damage, but instead the outside of it. Hell, combine this with Tunnel Fighter and anything force-fleeing from you take an AoO + 5d8 (+5d8 if it stops running no further than 10 feet outside of the wall)
    Perhaps I am reading wall of fire completelly wrong, in that I was thinking that however use it (hot side inwards or outwards), you always take damage when inside it (it does sound somehow a bit silly). But I guess this is more of a question for the RAW thread.

I tend to think that the radius is to small and that I would end up dropping concentration a lot because enemies would probably just choose to take the damage once and escape DA's radius (and the cost -ie a 4th level slot and more importantly, concentration, is too high to risk it)

It would work great with an expanded radius, but as it is, I feel tthe limitations are too severe to make it useful in this context.

Spoiler: Wall spells and... lightning lure?
    Show
    If you're able to ''build'' your way around it (huehue) you could consider Wall of Stone, as it can make a much bigger wall in 1 action. But all in all Blade Barrier just seems to be the best option for keeping things walled in with you, considering it's massive 60 feet diameter.
    Wall of stone (is it in the sorcerer's or cleric's spell list? AFB...) has some issues, in that it might hinder teamplay? Blade barrier has a nice radius and nice damage, but again, like with wall of fire, my gut tells me that enemies will just choose to take once the damage and then not bother again with that zone (and at the cost of a 6th level spell slot and concentration, I dont think it is worth it -I would really like it to work though and I am hoping I am missing sth). I think wall spells work best when you have some form of active movement control over the enemy, such as being a grappler, or repelling blast, or lightning lure, or sth). Hmm, I can get lightning lure...... (better go back and read again what lightning lure does...). Or is it thorn whip I am confusing it with?

Spoiler: Mass suggestion
    Show
    You've also got the slightly more flexible Mass Suggestion and can command twelve creatures to ''Stay put, a terrasque is lurking and its only way of seeing is through sensing movement''. As long as they fail their save they have to follow the command for the entire duration or until damaged. (This way you can just take care of them 1 at a time, but it's also a lvl 6 slot. It's not a huge problem as sorcery point swapping but it's nevertheless a big cost)
    I dont like the overlap of inflicting one condition (charmed) upon another condition (frightened).
    Mass suggestion is serously powerful, but I dont think it plays well with DA.

Thanks for the sugestions!

I am still paused as to if spirit guardians would be a good fit, and if I can make wall of fire really work with it (DA).
    Web seems cool and all, but I really hate how it would take 2 rounds to make it work best...
    Hacks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I still think Wall of Stone is your best Wall spell option, Wall may hinder your teammates if you don't put it carefully, but it can also make a fight quite easy in the right circumtances (separate the enemies, making it easier to gang up in one guy, also great for escapes), it doesn't have the problem that is something that the enemy can deal with by just crossing it once and taking damage (they would need to destroy part of it or climb it -if its not in a room-)

*Spike Growth may work, the detail is getting the spell :S (Druid / Ranger)

Dust Devil may work in some cases, it would be great to block the escape rute of anyone trying to escape out of fear (but only work in small spaces)

Silent Image, as the target is frightened of you, and need to run away from you, you can use this spell to make a copy of you, and they will try to run away from you and your copy (may work when you want to make the enemy move to a certain area in specific).

You could take the Menacing feat so whenever you attack, you can forgo one of your attacks to also fear any humanoid creature (or try to)