New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Auxiliarist (PrC for spontaneous casters)

Auxiliarist
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells per Day

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |+4 Bonus Level 1 Spells Known, All Level 0 Spells Known|—

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Spontaneous Metamagic or Skill Focus|+1 Level of Existing Class

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |+4 Bonus Level 2 Spells Known|+1 Level of Existing Class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Metamagic Feat|+1 Level of Existing Class

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |+4 Bonus Level 3 Spells Known|+1 Level of Existing Class

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Spell Enmass|—

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |+4 Bonus Level 4 Spells Known|+1 Level of Existing Class

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Bonus Metamagic Feat|+1 Level of Existing Class

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |+4 Bonus Level 5 Spells Known|+1 Level of Existing Class

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |XP Reduction, Extra Casting|+1 Level of Existing Class

[/table]

Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d6
    Class Skills:
    Existing class skills from one of your classes.
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Requirements
    To qualify to become an auxiliarist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge (either arcana, nature, or religion) 9 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks.
    Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane or divine spells spontaneously.
    Feats: Any metamagic feat.

Class Features
    All of the following are features of the auxiliarist prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Auxiliarists gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each level except 1st and 5th, an auxiliarist gains new spells per day and spells known as if she had also gained a level in a spontaneous spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of this class would have gained. If she had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an auxiliarist, she must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

All Level 0 Spells Known: The auxiliarist knows all level 0 spells for each of her spontaneous spellcasting classes.

Bonus Spells Known: Upon becoming an auxiliarist, the auxiliarist learns four additional level 1 spells. These spells are in addition to her normal spells known and may be divided among each of her spontaneous casting classes if she has more than one. At each odd level thereafter she learns an additional four bonus spells of the level indicated in the auxiliarist table. This class feature has no benefits to a class with a full spell known list, such as the Beguiler.

Spontaneous Metamagic (or Skill Focus): At 2nd level the auxiliarist may apply metamagic feats to spells cast by each of its spontaneous classes without increasing the casting time. If she already has a means of applying metamagic without increasing casting time in this manner, she may instead gain a skill focus feat applying to concentration, spellcraft, or any knowledge skill she currently has a class skill.

Bonus Metamagic Feat: Upon obtaining 4th level, an auxiliarist gains a bonus metamagic feat of her choice of which she meets the requirements for. She gains an additional metamagic feat at 8th level as well.

Spell Enmass (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, an auxiliarist can unleash a flurry of spells at a single time. Once per encounter (or once per minute) she may cast 3 spells, each with a casting time of a standard action or less, as a full round action. The save DC for these spells are reduced by 20 for this casting and each spell may not be of higher level than half the auxiliarists max spell level (rounded up).

XP Reduction (Ex): At 10th level, the auxiliarist reduces the experience cost of each of her spells by half (rounded down).

Extra Casting: Upon obtaining 10th level, an auxiliarist gains an additional spell per day for each of her available spells levels in each of her spellcasting classes. This bonus applies to spell levels or spellcasting classes she obtains afterwards as well.
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2007-08-08 at 06:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Auxiliarist (PrC for spontaneous casters)

I like it. It's definitely something my sorceror would take, Though not until Epic levels, given his nature. XP reduction is a beautiful capstone.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, that's actually a really cool idea for a class! I take it that the fluff would all be about wanting to be prepared for any situation, supporting the party, etc. I really like the idea of giving extra spells known to a spontaneous caster in order to give them more versatility. Definitely a great, balanced PrC for the sorcerror/favored soul for whom raw power is not the number one priority.

Spell Enmass is really cool for when you need to cast a bunch of utility or buffing spells in a hurry.

How does this class interact with beguilers, who automatically know their entire spell list? I think beguilers should not be allowed to take it, or there should be a statement in the description that classes which automatically know their entire spell list gain no benefit from the +4 spells known.
    Last edited by blue_fenix; 2007-08-08 at 06:12 PM.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It would be mainly useless for them. I completely missed Enmass. Great for those very short duration spells, like Protection from Negative Energy, where you need to cast them all at once for full effectiveness.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a strong believer of fluff being what the player wants it to be, in reason - especially to classes that are more functional creations than furry fluffy creations.
    The bonus spells would not (or properly, should not, if I misread something) have any benefit. Added a clause at the end of the bonus spells showing this intent, to make sure of it.

Thankies.