Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1175
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    You have to catch the 'nades in the air, and even with VATS you really have to be quick. I've only done it once, and it blew up in my face, not theirs.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    If it is shown as being their in-hand weapon, you can shoot it before they lob it. This is particularly relevant in Dead Money when you can snipe the fire bomb out of the dude's hand instead of him tossing it at you. However, that's basically a rigged compressed air tank, so a much larger target than a grenade.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  3. - Top - End - #1083
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Yeah, but it's also a firebomb style explosive, so it's kind of wimpy when you blow it, but nasty deadly when tossed your way.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  4. - Top - End - #1084
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Was playing New Vegas in offline mode for a while cause the storm knocked out all the networks for a few days, but as I was playing I wondered if I'd get the Steam Achievements for the stuff I did. Turns out, the answer is mostly yes.

    Also, collecting 50 Blue Star caps for the Sunset Sarsaparilla challenge was NOT worth it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Was playing New Vegas in offline mode for a while cause the storm knocked out all the networks for a few days, but as I was playing I wondered if I'd get the Steam Achievements for the stuff I did. Turns out, the answer is mostly yes.

    Also, collecting 50 Blue Star caps for the Sunset Sarsaparilla challenge was NOT worth it.
    Depends on your build. If you are an energy weapon build, Pew Pew can absolutely be worth playing with, if for no other reason than being one of the most heavy-hitting concealment weapons, for taking care of the Omertas.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Part 3: Raiders of the Lost Supermarket is up!

    Fun fact: At 100 Repair, "More Scrap Metal CRAFTing" allows me to get enough metal to make two pieces of scrap metal for each shopping cart. The Super-Duper Mart has a lot of shopping carts to disassemble.

    Additional fun fact: Scrap Metal is perhaps one of the best items to use, on a per-weight basis, to gain the Outcasts's trust. You need three, I think, per point of trust, but each scrap can be traded for much more in terms of stimpaks and other niceties.

    Fun Fact the third, FWE only: When the Outcasts trust you, in addition to access to the fort, they also give you power armor and the training to use it!

    Final fun fact of the day: I did not know this when I rocked up with five hundred scrap to turn in.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  7. - Top - End - #1087
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Keep an eye out for an M-14. Strap a scope on and you'll never want another Sniper Rifle.

    Also, New Vegas is Back Baby. And also after episode 1 I figure out that toggling Archive Invalidation fixes the most of the busted textures. (Seriously, I cannot fix the bloody .357 for love or money.)
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2017-09-12 at 10:39 PM.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Keep an eye out for an M-14. Strap a scope on and you'll never want another Sniper Rifle.
    Two problems with that. I've actually found two M-14s already, but was less than impressed by them. 36ish damage with four fire-rate is decent, but my 5.56 pistol and 5.56 sniper rifle do more damage per shot and my chinese assault rifle does more damage per second.

    Plus, I'm not actually playing with WMK enabled. Ever since EVE updated, the FOIP version of the compatibility patch has been outdated. And with no compatibility patch between EVE, WMK, and RH Ironsights, I kinda have to prioritize what I think is most important. I can live without weapon mods, but proper ironsights are absolutely essential for how I play the game.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  9. - Top - End - #1089
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Wow, I'd probably play with an old version of EVE just for WMK. (Though I know they don't always allow that by removing the older ones.) I though Blackened had a newer patch though.

    Also the M-14 is much more accurate farther out than the Chinese Assault Rifle so you spend fewer bullets. The per shot is better, which means less sawn off by the DR. It's less an issue than with DT in NV but it's still useful.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Part 3: Raiders of the Lost Supermarket is up!

    Fun fact: At 100 Repair, "More Scrap Metal CRAFTing" allows me to get enough metal to make two pieces of scrap metal for each shopping cart. The Super-Duper Mart has a lot of shopping carts to disassemble.

    Additional fun fact: Scrap Metal is perhaps one of the best items to use, on a per-weight basis, to gain the Outcasts's trust. You need three, I think, per point of trust, but each scrap can be traded for much more in terms of stimpaks and other niceties.

    Fun Fact the third, FWE only: When the Outcasts trust you, in addition to access to the fort, they also give you power armor and the training to use it!

    Final fun fact of the day: I did not know this when I rocked up with five hundred scrap to turn in.
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar, and I have subscribed to your newsletter channel.

    Also, by using the sarcastic response, you aren't going to get the 'best' reward for Moira's quest, I don't think.

    And yes... 'cute little hot potatoes'... 'surely, there's no such thing as ghosts, so you should be perfectly fine', and of course 'there's nothing quite like tinkering with a live mine'. Ahh, Moira... you are never dull. Although you sound more like a Minnesotan than a Capital Wastelander.

    And the perk from the easiest quest in the game (sit around near a nuke and drink the water) is probably one of the most broken in the game, especially when paired with the perk that lets you regenerate when irradiated. As long as you keep your rads around 200ish, you're pretty much immortal to anything that doesn't one-shot you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  11. - Top - End - #1091
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Caelestion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baator (aka Britain)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    You passed up the opportunity to use "Raiders of the Lost Car Park"? I am disappointed in you!

  12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    You passed up the opportunity to use "Raiders of the Lost Car Park"? I am disappointed in you!
    Nah, just saving it for FO4 when he can use it even better as "Raiders of the Lost Cah Pahk", being in boston and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  13. - Top - End - #1093
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Depends on your build. If you are an energy weapon build, Pew Pew can absolutely be worth playing with, if for no other reason than being one of the most heavy-hitting concealment weapons, for taking care of the Omertas.
    Eh, I brought along Veronica and Rex to do the heavy lifting punching for that part of the quest. Sadly, Troike seemed to have vanished from the game partway through, so I couldn't complete part of the quest and get the Pimp boy 3 Billion. Well, it's okay, I'll live without it. I mean, I used a console code to see it, and it's flashy, but... that's kinda it. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  14. - Top - End - #1094
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Rad Child doesn't exist in F3, unless it's added back by FWE. So it doesn't work, but on the other hand, considering how hard it is to heal limbs in FWE, I always ran around with the 400 rads necessary to trip the limb healing. Stims work just fine on the rest as long as you're not trying to headbutt everything.

    Though I note that playing that way in TTW was basically being a marked man from Lonesome Road.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  15. - Top - End - #1095
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Ahh, Moira... you are never dull. Although you sound more like a Minnesotan than a Capital Wastelander.
    She lives across the crater from a guy with a full-blown Irish accent, and you're complaining about a Minnesotan?
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  16. - Top - End - #1096
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Part 3: Raiders of the Lost Supermarket is up!

    Fun fact: At 100 Repair, "More Scrap Metal CRAFTing" allows me to get enough metal to make two pieces of scrap metal for each shopping cart. The Super-Duper Mart has a lot of shopping carts to disassemble.

    Additional fun fact: Scrap Metal is perhaps one of the best items to use, on a per-weight basis, to gain the Outcasts's trust. You need three, I think, per point of trust, but each scrap can be traded for much more in terms of stimpaks and other niceties.

    Fun Fact the third, FWE only: When the Outcasts trust you, in addition to access to the fort, they also give you power armor and the training to use it!

    Final fun fact of the day: I did not know this when I rocked up with five hundred scrap to turn in.
    I had to stop going to the Outcasts... I think they would take EVERYTHING from Mothership Zeta, without recompense. I didn't find that out last time until they took my overcoat!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.

  17. - Top - End - #1097
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    That's weird. I know TTW changed it to a shop style interface, which I love, but if I recall correctly, FWE did a chest that you manually put things in and then talk to annoying guy. Though I never actually talked to them with Mothership Zeta stuff in my inventory.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  18. - Top - End - #1098
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    She lives across the crater from a guy with a full-blown Irish accent, and you're complaining about a Minnesotan?
    I could buy that Moira migrated in from the west. Maybe she followed the brotherhood here, thinking she can get her hands on some bits of tech they overlook. Run her experiments on it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Wow, I'd probably play with an old version of EVE just for WMK. (Though I know they don't always allow that by removing the older ones.) I though Blackened had a newer patch though.

    Also the M-14 is much more accurate farther out than the Chinese Assault Rifle so you spend fewer bullets. The per shot is better, which means less sawn off by the DR. It's less an issue than with DT in NV but it's still useful.
    Blackened has patches for EVE, FWE, and RH Ironsights, but no patches for WMK. I'll note that while I've managed to get things working before between EVE, FWE, RH_Ironsight, and WMK, it was usually at the cost of borking the ironsights on all but the vanilla weapons. Additionally, I could never manage to equip any modifications to non-vanilla weapons like the M-14.

    Also, I feel like there's something wrong with your math there. If someone is taking a certain percentage of damage less, then it shouldn't matter whether that damage is done in chunks or in one big shot. 10 shots each doing 50 damage, at 25% damage resistance, is still going to be around 370 damage even if you round down after DR. By comparison, one 500 damage shot at 25% DR is going to do 375 damage per shot. The difference in damage is miniscule. As such, you should either prioritize for weapons that do the biggest burst damage possible--rendering DPS moot--or for weapons that can put the largest amount of hurt downrange in the shortest amount of time.

    Your points regarding ammo efficiency and accuracy are well taken, but I feel like they're ultimately undone by the M-14's use of 7.62 ammo. The rarer, more expensive round means that until you build up an easy source of them through good barter or sheer amount of stuff to trade, you're usually going to be hurting for ammo. By comparison, the combination of Chinese Assault Rifle, .223 pistol, and DKS-501 sniper rifle means I have a good balance of short range DPS and long-range hurt that all use the same cheap, common 5.56 round.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar, and I have subscribed to your newsletter channel.

    Also, by using the sarcastic response, you aren't going to get the 'best' reward for Moira's quest, I don't think.
    Good to hear! I hope I can live up to your expectations.

    As for the responses and rewards: There are five main rewards for completing the quest. One gives you rad resistance, one health, one DR, one some skill bonuses, and one gives extra critical chance. As a general rule, I think it's better to go for the Endurance or the sarcastic responses, because they give you things that are hard to obtain otherwise (rad resistance and better critical chance, respectively.)

    And the perk from the easiest quest in the game (sit around near a nuke and drink the water) is probably one of the most broken in the game, especially when paired with the perk that lets you regenerate when irradiated. As long as you keep your rads around 200ish, you're pretty much immortal to anything that doesn't one-shot you.
    Especially worthwhile when FWE makes crippled limbs even worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    You passed up the opportunity to use "Raiders of the Lost Car Park"? I am disappointed in you!
    Well, they're not really at a car park...

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Though I note that playing that way in TTW was basically being a marked man from Lonesome Road.
    Cancerous Growth from More Perks does the same thing, except with no requirement to be irradiated. It's stupidly broken and I love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    That's weird. I know TTW changed it to a shop style interface, which I love, but if I recall correctly, FWE did a chest that you manually put things in and then talk to annoying guy. Though I never actually talked to them with Mothership Zeta stuff in my inventory.
    True. And good to know, when I ever get around to doing Mothership Zeta.

    I'm trying to do the DLCs only when I actually get around to those areas, so it's not just going to Rivet City at level 1 to get the bobblehead, dashing to Operation Anchorage for power armor and training, and then rushing through the main quest to spawn those sweet, sweet, energy weapon loot squads,
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  20. - Top - End - #1100
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Caelestion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baator (aka Britain)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Well, they're not really at a car park...
    There would have been a car park at one point. This was America, after all.

  21. - Top - End - #1101
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Yes and no. Ten shots at fifty damage does the same as one five hundred damage shot yes, but that one shot doesn't give them a chance to heal up unlike the ten fifty damage shots. One clear shot kills them instantly without giving them time to dive into Cover, or toss grenades. Personal choice of playstyle I guess.

    Milgram's shack is definitely World of Pain. If you're really interested in some fun, head south of Megaton into the city, more or less towards Grayditch, for one of my favorite AWoP encounters.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Yes and no. Ten shots at fifty damage does the same as one five hundred damage shot yes, but that one shot doesn't give them a chance to heal up unlike the ten fifty damage shots. One clear shot kills them instantly without giving them time to dive into Cover, or toss grenades. Personal choice of playstyle I guess.

    Milgram's shack is definitely World of Pain. If you're really interested in some fun, head south of Megaton into the city, more or less towards Grayditch, for one of my favorite AWoP encounters.
    Eh, I don't think it is playstyle preference. I just think that the FWE M14 is in a weird spot. The Chinese assault rifle puts out more damage at short to medium range, and makes for an excellent "let's go loud" weapon. The DKS-501 does more damage per shot and is more accurate, which makes it a more potent one-shot-one-kill machine. I guess I'd just rather carry two weapons, each specialized for their task, than one weapon which is kinda mediocre at both and uses more expensive ammo to boot.

    Mind you, I think that a lot of FWE weapons are either weirdly balanced or incorrectly statted out.
    • The Bozar, a big gun, "the culmination of the sniper's art," does 42 damage per shot at 2ish shots per second. The 10mm pistol you start with does more damage than that. The google-sites spreadsheet says that the bozar is supposed to be 50 damage per shot, and five shots per second.
    • The Lewis Mk.II Machine Gun, a WWI-era light machine gun, uses the 30-06 ammo, does 42 damage per shot and fires them at a staggering twelve shots per second. It is a big gun in every sense of the word, but is classified as a Small Gun.
    • The .223 pistol has a long history in the franchise. It's a .223 calibre rifle that's been lovingly chopped down to pistol size. And yet, it does the same amount of damage and is just as accurate as a sniper rifle firing the same cartridge.


    EDIT:
    Spoiler: RE: Creation Club
    Show
    Last edited by Balmas; 2017-09-13 at 09:41 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Eh, I don't think it is playstyle preference. I just think that the FWE M14 is in a weird spot. The Chinese assault rifle puts out more damage at short to medium range, and makes for an excellent "let's go loud" weapon. The DKS-501 does more damage per shot and is more accurate, which makes it a more potent one-shot-one-kill machine. I guess I'd just rather carry two weapons, each specialized for their task, than one weapon which is kinda mediocre at both and uses more expensive ammo to boot.

    Mind you, I think that a lot of FWE weapons are either weirdly balanced or incorrectly statted out.
    • The Bozar, a big gun, "the culmination of the sniper's art," does 42 damage per shot at 2ish shots per second. The 10mm pistol you start with does more damage than that. The google-sites spreadsheet says that the bozar is supposed to be 50 damage per shot, and five shots per second.
    • The Lewis Mk.II Machine Gun, a WWI-era light machine gun, uses the 30-06 ammo, does 42 damage per shot and fires them at a staggering twelve shots per second. It is a big gun in every sense of the word, but is classified as a Small Gun.
    • The .223 pistol has a long history in the franchise. It's a .223 calibre rifle that's been lovingly chopped down to pistol size. And yet, it does the same amount of damage and is just as accurate as a sniper rifle firing the same cartridge.
    Bozar in F:NV is an okay weapon, but an ammo hog of .308 ammo, and while DPS is good, F:NV cares less about DPS due to how DT works. If I'm going to be using a weapon chambered in .308, it's almost certainly going to be Christine's. Which IS the culmination of the sniper's art.

    Being chambered in 30-06 makes it the same size roughly as the BAR. It's not like it is a minigun or bazooka, after all. So yea, small guns. I generally consider 'big guns' to be 'would this normally be crew-served in reality'.

    I never did care much for That Gun. If I wanted a pistol that packed a punch, Light Shining In Darkness was my go-to. With WMX, it could accept the .45 ACP's silencer, condition boost, and damage boost mods, making it one of the best pistols in the game. But mostly, by the time I got to NOVAC, I was probably sporting some kind of rifle with better stats, or I was doing energy weapons and thus more interested in Hyperbreeder Alpha.
    EDIT:
    Spoiler: RE: Creation Club
    Show
    I hate to nitpick a joke, but that's not really true.

    Morrowind was on the predecessor engine, developed before Bethesda purchased Fallout's rights. Oblivion, FO3, and F:NV are on the same game engine. Skyrim and FO4 are on the same game engine. These are three different game engines, and the only one that can really be said to be a 'mod' of a previous game is F:NV when compared to FO3.

    I don't know who that is cosplaying as Benny, but he deserves a f**king medal. And hey, the punchline made me chuckle.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2017-09-13 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mando Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I don't know who that is cosplaying as Benny, but he deserves a f**king medal. And hey, the punchline made me chuckle.
    It doesn't look like it's actually cosplay (unless it's buried beneath a half dozen "artsy" filters and HDR to make it look more like a painting and to blend in the photoshopping in the face swap and Yes Man in the background), but the face is Todd Howard's.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2017-09-14 at 01:27 AM.
    Avatar by Mr. Saturn

    3DS Friend Code: 4742-9573-4652

  25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Bozar in F:NV is an okay weapon, but an ammo hog of .308 ammo, and while DPS is good, F:NV cares less about DPS due to how DT works. If I'm going to be using a weapon chambered in .308, it's almost certainly going to be Christine's. Which IS the culmination of the sniper's art.

    Being chambered in 30-06 makes it the same size roughly as the BAR. It's not like it is a minigun or bazooka, after all. So yea, small guns. I generally consider 'big guns' to be 'would this normally be crew-served in reality'.

    I never did care much for That Gun. If I wanted a pistol that packed a punch, Light Shining In Darkness was my go-to. With WMX, it could accept the .45 ACP's silencer, condition boost, and damage boost mods, making it one of the best pistols in the game. But mostly, by the time I got to NOVAC, I was probably sporting some kind of rifle with better stats, or I was doing energy weapons and thus more interested in Hyperbreeder Alpha.
    Last I checked, the Bozar uses 5.56 ammo in New Vegas. That makes sense, since it used .223 ammo when it was first introduced in Fallout 2. I'm mostly peeved at the FWE Bozar because in Fallout 2 it was such an amazing weapon, capable of spewing out a hail of thirty heavy-damage armor-piercing bullets per round. Instead, the FWE bozar fires relatively low-damage rounds of the wrong caliber at a slow rate of fire. It's almost enough to get me to make my own rebalance mod. Yes, I know 5.56 rounds aren't that powerful in terms of damage, but it should be better than what it is right now.

    Small guns is described as small firearms like pistols, SMGs, and rifles. Anything larger than that, like LMGs, light support weapons, and above, would fall into big guns. The Lewis Gun was an LMG, but also it was big enough to be commonly used on airplanes. And, as an additional argument that it should have been classified as a Big Gun, that's what it was in Fallout Tactics.

    Eh, I like That Gun because it's available in the base game, uses a good selection of different ammo types, doesn't need Rapid Reload to work well, and doesn't need WMX to be installed. Granted, LSID is probably better purely in terms of stats, but I still like That Gun. Besides, it looks cool. Same reason I like This Machine over things like the All American or the Survivalist's Rifle.

    I don't know who that is cosplaying as Benny, but he deserves a f**king medal. And hey, the punchline made me chuckle.
    *squint* ...I'm not sure whether you're joking or not.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  26. - Top - End - #1106
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Dang, didn't know that if you replace McNamara with Hardin as elder of the Brotherhood in NV, you can't broker a peaceful resolution between them and the NCR. Shame, really. Guess Hardin pulled the fast one over me in thinking he'd make a decent leader. Welp. Time to nuke the bunker...

    ...nah, just kidding. I reloaded an earlier save and changed a few decisions to keep McNamara in charge. I like Veronica as a companion, and even though McNamara is killing his chapter by keeping them in that little basement, I guess I just have to come to terms that the BoS aren't really the good guys and it is better to keep them penned up in their little hole than to let them wader about shooting everyone for their tech. Pretty sure the Van Graffs owe me for that. At least I managed to get other factions to join the NCR club without issues. Okay, time to go meet the president. Should be a cakewalk.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Last I checked, the Bozar uses 5.56 ammo in New Vegas. That makes sense, since it used .223 ammo when it was first introduced in Fallout 2. I'm mostly peeved at the FWE Bozar because in Fallout 2 it was such an amazing weapon, capable of spewing out a hail of thirty heavy-damage armor-piercing bullets per round. Instead, the FWE bozar fires relatively low-damage rounds of the wrong caliber at a slow rate of fire. It's almost enough to get me to make my own rebalance mod. Yes, I know 5.56 rounds aren't that powerful in terms of damage, but it should be better than what it is right now.
    Ahh, you are quite correct, I was confusing it with the Automatic Rifle from Dead Money for some reason.

    Small guns is described as small firearms like pistols, SMGs, and rifles. Anything larger than that, like LMGs, light support weapons, and above, would fall into big guns. The Lewis Gun was an LMG, but also it was big enough to be commonly used on airplanes. And, as an additional argument that it should have been classified as a Big Gun, that's what it was in Fallout Tactics.
    I suppose you have a point, I guess it depends on where you draw the line at.

    Eh, I like That Gun because it's available in the base game, uses a good selection of different ammo types, doesn't need Rapid Reload to work well, and doesn't need WMX to be installed. Granted, LSID is probably better purely in terms of stats, but I still like That Gun. Besides, it looks cool. Same reason I like This Machine over things like the All American or the Survivalist's Rifle.
    All American and LISD are both affected by the Grunt perk, while Bozar is not, due to cross-mod integration not really being a thing. I've never really liked This Machine, despite it being an expy of the M1 Garand. Mostly because it is completely outclassed by Christine's, which I generally end up with first, since I tend to hit up OWB as soon as I can for lots of very good things (including immunity to poison), and also because Contreras is kind of obscure to find, and his quest is unmarked. I always end up with All American before I hit up Camp McCarren, though, which is another factor in the decision.
    *squint* ...I'm not sure whether you're joking or not.
    trollface.jpg

    My work here is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  28. - Top - End - #1108
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    I prefer to carry lots of weapons and not overlap ammo. And yes, you're right the M-14 is not a sniper rifle, nor is it a close in assault rifle. It's a battle rifle, meant to shoot things in between the best distance for the sniper rifle and best for the Assault Rifle. The ammo is heavy and expensive, yes, but that's to remind you not to simply spray it at things. (Ah, I recall now. I hate the scope on the DKS, which is why I never used it.)

    The other side, is when you're fighting say Super Mutants, or Feral Reavers and you want lots and lots of fast damage, the M-14 is a good choice.

    The big advantage to That Gun in Novac is that not only does it use the most common rifle round you've found yet, but is also the only pistol that fires AP rounds, which are very handy. Plus it's affected by Cowboy, which is also true for almost all the guns you've found up to that point.

    The LSW in Fallout 2 was basically the lightest big gun. I thought the Lewis Gun was a Big Gun in F3, but perhaps they were treating it like an Assault Rifle, which is silly.

    The Bozar has something of an odd history. Basically it was originally envisioned as being the AMR of Fallout 2, and then got changed to a full-auto big gun at the last minute.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    So, with all this talk of weapon rebalances, I've been considering doing a rebalance of my own for FWE. The idea would be to make FWE and Fallout 3 weapons roughly equivalent to the Fallout 2 versions of weapons, with the higher damage to fit FWE's greatly increased lethality. This would have the advantage, I feel, of making guns feel much more distinct, as well as making energy weapons and big guns the true powerhouse they were in the earlier Fallouts. The disadvantage, of course, is that any semblance of balance would go straight to hell in a hurry.

    Thus far, I'm working off a rough formula as follows:

    Assume the 10mm pistol to be roughly baseline. The FWE version does 20 damage per shot, compared to the Fallout 2's 5-12 per shot. Average those two damage figures out and you get roughly 9. I'm working off a very rough damage calculation of F2FWE damage = 2x(average F2 base damage for that weapon). Thus, the 10mm pistol would have a base damage of 17 damage in this system, the .44 magnum would deal 30, and the .223 revolver would deal 50 damage per shot. Meanwhile, things like the Wattz laser rifle, the Bozar, and the gatling laser would be dealing 75, 60, and 60 damage per shot respectively.

    I'd also be determining rate of fire based off the AP cost in Fallout 2. Let's assume that 6 F2 AP is roughly equivalent to one second of fire, since both the F2 assault rifle 8-shot burst and the F3 assault rifle 8 rounds per second match up nicely. If that's the case, it would be a simple matter of determining how many shots a F2 weapon can fire in those 6AP, and that would be how many shots an F2FWE weapon can fire per second. The DKS-501, for example, would be a round 1 shot per second. Most single-shot weapons would do 1.2 shots per second, based on 1.2 5AP shots per 6AP second.

    Admittedly, this is all tentative right now. Any pretense at being balanced would go out the window. While assault rifles and combat shotguns would remain relatively balanced, you'd have weapons that are much more powerful late-game than their early-game counterparts. Big Guns and Energy Weapons would be these terrifying things to face, with things like the gatling laser putting out 10 60-damage shots per second, or the 132-damage-per-shot pulse rifle, or the 825 DPS Vindicator minigun. Even the regular minigun becomes a 40-shot-per-second lead storm, which might actually pose problems for the game engine to calculate.

    I dunno. The more I think abut it, the more it seems like it's stupid and that it'd be stupidly awesome, all at the same time. I'd have to edit a lot of leveled lists so that you find high-power equipment only on enemies of appropriate level, so you don't defuse the bomb and instantly get murdered by talon company mercs wielding weapons way above your current gear level.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  30. - Top - End - #1110
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

    I think perhaps the .223 and .44 should have their damage reversed. I hate to bring realism into it, but a .44 is a much larger round than the 5.56. Out of the very short barrel on a revolver, or any pistol, the round is much slower, and wouldn't do the same damage.

    On the other hand, I never quite agreed with the stupid high damage from all the FWE'd weapons.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •