New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

Why a 1070? Seems WAY overpowered for what you are trying to do. A 1050Ti is a quarter of the price and should easily keep up with 1080p @ 60 FPS. That's what I'm using in my current setup, and I have to run things through WINE for F:NV.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

I assume he's future-proofing.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, mostly it's a matter of trying to get better technology for the future. I know that I'll want to do Fallout 4 eventually, and I can barely run that at 60 fps even without recording. A 1050ti is actually worse than my current GPU, believe it or not, so it's between a 1060 or a 1070.

Plus, that sweet, sweet Witcher 3 at Ultra settings.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, 4's a bit hard on cards. I have a 750Ti, and it was having issues at one or two points.

Also, it looks like Oblivion will be either on Hiatus or totally canceled until I can work out why it won't run through OBSE. Just crashes as soon as the main .exe starts.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Yeah, 4's a bit hard on cards. I have a 750Ti, and it was having issues at one or two points.
    I never really had a problem with Fallout 4 on a 750Ti, although I wasn't trying to record footage at the same time, so I guess that's probably why!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

I only actually lost about 3-5 frames while recording most of the time, and since I had around 40, and was recording at 30, it actually worked out. I suspect it's more due to my processor being AMD than anything to do with the card.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Eh, mostly it's a matter of trying to get better technology for the future. I know that I'll want to do Fallout 4 eventually, and I can barely run that at 60 fps even without recording. A 1050ti is actually worse than my current GPU, believe it or not, so it's between a 1060 or a 1070.
    That is one thing I really hate about the naming/numbering scheme on a lot of video cards. A newer, bigger number doesn't always mean a better card. Gotta read the specs.

Then remember what my current specs are. Geez, this is why I write everything down. ^^;

I only actually lost about 3-5 frames while recording most of the time, and since I had around 40, and was recording at 30, it actually worked out. I suspect it's more due to my processor being AMD than anything to do with the card.
    Up to this point I've never had problems with AMD chips. But up to this point I've never started attempts at recording game plays. so... XD

Probably next computer "upgrade" down the road I'll just build from scratch and switch to Intel.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

Actually I think the reason the frame drop is so small is because I have an AMD so it has no problem running two applications at once. It's just struggling to play the game.

On the other hand, Ryzen and Threadripper are calling my name, and yours. 'Use us, we're vastly superior to Intel, and only getting better...'

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think Intel still has the edge from a purely gaming perspective, but it's a matter of a few percentage points at most these days. On the other hand, Ryzen works better as a general-purpose CPU due to the number of "real" cores it has--multi-tasking loads like capturing video while playing a game will go better on Ryzen than on a typical Intel chip at the same price-point.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly, Intel does better because it's a multi-core pretending really hard to be a very fast single-core. I'm surprised AMD hasn't used their Infinity Fabric to duplicate Intel's approach.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Exactly, Intel does better because it's a multi-core pretending really hard to be a very fast single-core. I'm surprised AMD hasn't used their Infinity Fabric to duplicate Intel's approach.
    That's because (pre-Coffee Lake) Intel was focused on something that AMD can't copy with Infinity Fabric. Intel's processors are better for demanding processes with low thread count (like most games released before the last year or two) because each individual core on the die has higher performance (faster cores with more cycle-efficient processes). Infinity Fabric is the technology that lets AMD more easily produce very large processors (like Threadripper and Epyc) by providing a special high-speed bus that connects multiple processor dies together (i.e. the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is "basically" two Ryzen 7 1800X chips "glued together" with Infinity Fabric, providing up to 16 cores/32 threads) not quite but almost as well as if the cores were all on the same die.

The new Coffee Lake processors have increased core counts (the i3 is now a 4c/4t, up from 2c/4t; i5 is now 6c/6t, up from 4c/4t; i7 is 6c/12t, up from 4c/8t), which brings them closer to their Ryzen counterparts' core counts (the Ryzen 7 still has more cores than the i7, but the i3 and i5 match the equivalent Ryzen 3 and 5 core counts) while maintaining the per-core performance of last year's Kaby Lake line, though the Ryzen processors are cheaper than the equivalent Intel offering.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2017-11-20 at 03:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, so not what I was thinking they were doing.

13. - Top - End - #1333

So, I figured out what was giving my TTW installation so many problems. When I cloned my existing Mod Organizer TTW profile for recording, it gave it a new set of profile .ini files that were still using the default New Vegas values. So, when I entered lab cell in the Citadel, it promptly choked and died on the number of AIs it had to manage.

Of course, the 1070 is still on its way. So now I get to play around and find the new graphical breaking point of my install.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

So... I just got the Fallout 4 GOTY using the last steam sale. Which mods would you guys recommend?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    So... I just got the Fallout 4 GOTY using the last steam sale. Which mods would you guys recommend?
    TBH I don't see much need for mods.
    I mainly have a few mods for graphics, and hmmm... Sorry can't check actual mod names right now but:

The mod that replaces Brahmin with eyebots for your traders is handy.
    The mod that adds extra songs without disrupting the DJ's dialogue is great.
    The mod, if you have a rig that can handle it that removes the restriction of number of items placed in bases is awesome.
    A good weather mod is great.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

By and large (and this comes from a mod-happy guy), you really shouldn't worry much about mods until you've played for a while. Learn what you like (and want more of) and what you don't like (and want to fix), then we'll know what mods to suggest.

That said, here are a few no-brainers I'd suggest in any event (all of it is on NexusMods.com, but a number are available on the in-game mod list):
    • Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch: Fixes a lot of errors and oversights in the original game. Some of the bugs were in the player's favor, some of them ruined the game, and a lot of them are just things that didn't make much sense.
    • Mod Configuration Menu: Not critical up front, but it's a really cool system to configure mods in-game easily.
    • Everyone's Best Friend: Dogmeat doesn't count as a companion, allowing you to have him and someone else, just like in previous games.
    • Extended Dialogue Interface: Shows what you're actually going to say, and has icons that show what options actually do.
    • Proto Vault Suit: Just a quick retexture of the vault suits that (in my opinion) looks a lot better than the default jumpsuits.

A few mods I personally enjoy:
    • Heather Casdin: A new companion, done by the modder who made Willow in New Vegas. Heather is a better companion than the ones available in the vanilla game, though the recording quality of the voice acting doesn't exactly match the game.
    • Nora Companion Mod WIP: If you're playing Nate (the male main character), you can recruit Nora (the female main character) as a companion. She's voice acted using her existing lines re-edited, so the dialogue can get a bit wonky, but the way they handle her is pretty solid.
    • Automatron EyeBot Companions: Lets you create EyeBot robots in the Automatron DLC. EyeBots are small and don't get in the way, so they're nice, but there are still bugs where they lose their modifications at times.
    • Useful Crank: Makes the laser musket weapon not consume ammo, you just crank it up to fire it. Makes it a pretty useful backup weapon.
    • Colt Delta Elite Reanimated: A very nice looking pistol that is starts out balanced, but can be upgraded to end-game quality. My primary weapon every time I play, just because of the style.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

My mod tastes are a tad more eccentric, and the ones I like tend to spin between perfectly lore friendly and weirdly not.

Darker Pipe Weapons This makes the weapon textures darker, and I think they look better darker.

Wetness Shader Fix It stops everything from being crazy shiny when it rains.

War Veteran Female Sole Survivor Exactly what it says on the tin.

Vibrant and More Sharp DLC Robots Better colors on the Automatron robots. Vanilla is more Lore friendly, but these are supposed to be newly built robots, so they should be in better shape paintwise in my opinion.

Angry Artillery Because the vanilla sound is extremely wimpy.

And on the gameplay side:

Vertibird Jump Because waiting for landing is for wimps.

Assaultron Helmet with Glasses Because there's more than enough room and the helmet looks awesome.

Armorsmith Extended Between non-power armor jetpacks, expanded lists of what you can wear as under armor, and expanded selections you can add modifications to, I consider this an essential 'why wasn't it vanilla' mod.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sim Settlements yet. It would be buying as a DLC if it wasn't free.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2017-11-28 at 07:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1339

All right. So i also got myself Fallout 4 recently, and I wanted to share my initial impressions.

I absolutely loved Fallout 3 when it got out. Man was it fun; never did the main quest beyond.. ****. I don't think i even went in the black and white simulation. I was too busy having fun.

I was wary of New Vegas when it came out. But it certainly proved to be my single favourite Fallout game of all. And the most played.

Since I enjoyed my "science geek" setup from FO3 (science-energy), i thought i would do the same for FO4.

The opening is ok. Kind of clunky, but ok. I disliked being in the house, and i was relieved when we finally got the bomb warning signal.

The running scene is GREAT. A+, reminded me of the early escape scenes from Half Life 2. I dont care that i am being railroaded, the immersion is great.

Getting into the vault.. its okay. I like some of the touches, but there is a lack of interactivity to make the entire thing a bit more believable. But its fine.

The whole I-Get-Frozen is a bit cheap, but necessary. Its stupid that i get awaken SPECIFICALLY to see my wife buying it, and then go back to sleep.

Okay, start of gameplay. The "get out of the vault by walking through the ruins" is great. Immersive.

The first steps outside the Vault is also faaaaaaantastic. I really have the feel of "last man on earth". Although, i keep hating that there was still ruins standing when the entire town should have crumbled to dust centuries ago.

I am alone. Forgotten. Lost. Last man standing in the Ruins of my life..

Hey! Its Mr Robot Exposition!! Talk about stupidly forced scene. It distracted from the feel of the scene. But eh, I'll survive. Its not really immersion-breaking, its just.. odd.

I explore a bit the neighborhood.. and i finally come across...

OH MY GOD A FIRECAMP! THERE ARE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE AROUND HERE! I AM NOT THE SOLE SURVIVOR!

... Wait. There is no-****ing-body around here. Why is there a lit firecamp?

..."crafting station"?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Bethesda, you completely ruined the immersion of what is probably the most important introduction scene, JUST TO HAVE A CONVENIENTLY PLACED CRAFTING STATION WITHIN SPITTING DISTANCE OF THE STARTING LOCATION?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. You know what, i can survive this. I am genuinely upset, but i can survive this. Lets go find the town..

..hey a body. Okay, so this man was alive recently.. ...but no idea how early ago he died. He is just... There. Mkay, lets move on to the.. gas station. I guess.

...oh my god! THERE IS POWER HERE! FRIGES STOCKED WITH FOOD! SOMEONE IS LIVING HERE!

...wait, nobody *again*?!?! Shouldn't have I met someone by now?!

I really bore of this location-obviously-meant-to-be-just-convenient-crafting-stations.

I walk into town... And i hear gunshots. I walk slowly go reach them and i see...

..raiders attacking a New England Minuteman museum.. what?

Who are these peope?
    Why are they attacked?
    Why should i help them?
    Why should i care?

I actually fought inside, reached the top, and now i am apparently recruited into stealing a power armor to use a heavy machine gun meant to help these ****ing nobodies i know nothing about, protected by mister Ranger outfit i know nothing about, fight off the attackers i know nothing about.

Man, this game is a masterpiece. I never felt so totally non-engaged by the world, the story and the gameplay.

Yes, the gameplay. The combat is clumsy and chaotic (strangely moreso than previous Fallout games), but the ****ing dialogue is ATROCIOUS. Oh jeebus, i want to shoot everyone in the face just so i dont have to engage.anyone else in dialogue.

What. The. ****. Happened.

Does the game gets better? Has it only been designed as a "LOOK HOW COOLZ THIS WEAPON IS" simulator?

The starting location in New Vegas was.. clear. You had the Powder Gang and the villagers. Then the NCR vs. the Powder Gang. Then you get to meet the.NCR more thoroughly. Then you meet the Legion in a bloodchilling scene.

I am so repelled by this game.at this point.. please tell me it gets better so i build the courage to try again.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    All right. So i also got myself Fallout 4 recently, and I wanted to share my initial impressions.

I absolutely loved Fallout 3 when it got out. Man was it fun; never did the main quest beyond.. ****. I don't think i even went in the black and white simulation. I was too busy having fun.

I was wary of New Vegas when it came out. But it certainly proved to be my single favourite Fallout game of all. And the most played.

Since I enjoyed my "science geek" setup from FO3 (science-energy), i thought i would do the same for FO4.

The opening is ok. Kind of clunky, but ok. I disliked being in the house, and i was relieved when we finally got the bomb warning signal.

The running scene is GREAT. A+, reminded me of the early escape scenes from Half Life 2. I dont care that i am being railroaded, the immersion is great.

Getting into the vault.. its okay. I like some of the touches, but there is a lack of interactivity to make the entire thing a bit more believable. But its fine.

The whole I-Get-Frozen is a bit cheap, but necessary. Its stupid that i get awaken SPECIFICALLY to see my wife buying it, and then go back to sleep.

Okay, start of gameplay. The "get out of the vault by walking through the ruins" is great. Immersive.

The first steps outside the Vault is also faaaaaaantastic. I really have the feel of "last man on earth". Although, i keep hating that there was still ruins standing when the entire town should have crumbled to dust centuries ago.

I am alone. Forgotten. Lost. Last man standing in the Ruins of my life..

Hey! Its Mr Robot Exposition!! Talk about stupidly forced scene. It distracted from the feel of the scene. But eh, I'll survive. Its not really immersion-breaking, its just.. odd.

I explore a bit the neighborhood.. and i finally come across...

OH MY GOD A FIRECAMP! THERE ARE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE AROUND HERE! I AM NOT THE SOLE SURVIVOR!

... Wait. There is no-****ing-body around here. Why is there a lit firecamp?

..."crafting station"?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Bethesda, you completely ruined the immersion of what is probably the most important introduction scene, JUST TO HAVE A CONVENIENTLY PLACED CRAFTING STATION WITHIN SPITTING DISTANCE OF THE STARTING LOCATION?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. You know what, i can survive this. I am genuinely upset, but i can survive this. Lets go find the town..

..hey a body. Okay, so this man was alive recently.. ...but no idea how early ago he died. He is just... There. Mkay, lets move on to the.. gas station. I guess.

...oh my god! THERE IS POWER HERE! FRIGES STOCKED WITH FOOD! SOMEONE IS LIVING HERE!

...wait, nobody *again*?!?! Shouldn't have I met someone by now?!

I really bore of this location-obviously-meant-to-be-just-convenient-crafting-stations.

I walk into town... And i hear gunshots. I walk slowly go reach them and i see...

..raiders attacking a New England Minuteman museum.. what?

Who are these peope?
    Why are they attacked?
    Why should i help them?
    Why should i care?

I actually fought inside, reached the top, and now i am apparently recruited into stealing a power armor to use a heavy machine gun meant to help these ****ing nobodies i know nothing about, protected by mister Ranger outfit i know nothing about, fight off the attackers i know nothing about.

Man, this game is a masterpiece. I never felt so totally non-engaged by the world, the story and the gameplay.

Yes, the gameplay. The combat is clumsy and chaotic (strangely moreso than previous Fallout games), but the ****ing dialogue is ATROCIOUS. Oh jeebus, i want to shoot everyone in the face just so i dont have to engage.anyone else in dialogue.

Does the game gets better? Has it only been designed as a "LOOK HOW COOLZ THIS WEAPON IS" simulator?

The starting location in New Vegas was.. clear. You had the Powder Gang and the villagers. Then the NCR vs. the Powder Gang. Then you get to meet the.NCR more thoroughly. Then you meet the Legion in a bloodchilling scene.

I am so repelled by this game.at this point.. please tell me it gets better so i build the courage to try again.
    Unfortunately, I really can't tell you that...

You see, the problem is Plot. It sucks worse than FO3's plot. Which is bad. But, unlike FO3's plot, you CAN'T AVOID IT. Because the game hard-locks content BEHIND certain main-quest checkpoints. So while in FO3 you can basically shrug off your dad's fate, and do whatever you want in the capital wasteland... you can't do that in FO4. Or rather, you can do that up to a point... then you find yourself hitting a wall of sorts, which is basically the game saying 'hey, stop having fun and play the game we intended it to be played!'. Which... kind of ruins the point of the game.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Well I would have recommended never talking to Preston Garvey and Crew but then again I despise him from my first playthrough. The main story is just kind of okay... I still say the game has lots of merits in the world building and dlc's stories those are much more "fallout" especially far harbor. Although you did find what's basically the worst thing in the game Preston Garvey...

Hard to say if you don't like the combat system whether you will enjoy the actual game. I found the combat system to be much nicer for gunplay and melee play then F:NV much smoother and the slow time effect rather then pause of VATS I found disorienting at first but really enjoy in the long run.

I find the settlement building to be a bit like power leveling tedious but makes things far easier plus you can make some nice looking stuff. Plus there are many cool mods based around it as well as some DLC and I know they make it far better and less grindy. But realize its not for everyone.

I would definitely say the game has its merits it may not be quite as enjoyable as F:NV but before you quit you should probably get away from Preston Garvey and do a little bit of exploring and see if the combat system grows on you a bit. Oh and if you have the DLC go find Nick real quick then promptly head up north to Far Harbor and forget the main story : ).

22. - Top - End - #1342

So Mr Ranger i Dont Care About is.. the worst thing in the game?

Okay. Thats interesting. Why?

Edit: also, I appreciate the comments above. I may have misjudged the combat mechanics. I kind of liked the combat against the raiders, but got attacked by bugs near the gas station, and I just couldn't make head or tails where were the enemies. The environment is cluttered with useless things.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2017-11-28 at 10:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As someone who really enjoys the game and has put more hours into it than I care to admit...

The story and setting are pretty dumb. There's a reason you're awake when your spouse dies (the kidnappers wake everyone up before taking Shaun, you're just the only one they re-froze), but Bethesda's sense of time is almost as bad as that seen in Star Wars (tech and culture doesn't evolve in 30,000 years? Really?), ranging from buildings not falling apart to desks not being looted to bloody skeletons not only remaining intact for two centuries but not getting jostled at all? If you allow fridge logic to dictate your enjoyment, the game is maddeningly stupid. If you just accept it as an aesthetic they were going for rather than a logic bomb nuking the insides of your skull, it can be quite enjoyable. Getting to see glimpses of what was happening when the bombs fell has been a staple of the "shooter" Fallout games and there are a lot of compelling stories being told with just the placement of objects and a terminal entry or two. Let's be honest, though, if you're bringing logic to Fallout, you're making your first mistake - even FO1 had a plethora of oddities that can only be brushed off with the MST3k Mantra.

Just like FO3, the main plot is simultaneously oversold and undersold. It's a maddened race to find your kidnapped son... though it's alright if you want to go wander through an old automobile plant or string up a series of machine gun turrets to help pair of farmers sleep soundly in their little shack. And then there's that fish packing plant over there, and you could really stand to set up trade routes between those farmers and your home town... And of course they'll need crops and power, and you'll have to loot that old hardware store over here to get the parts to make a generator... Oh, and this old robot keeps asking you about some kid named Shaun... whoever the expletive that is...

But, again, the game can be a lot of fun if you aren't putting that much thought into things. The gunplay (while by no means top-of-the-line) has improved immensely over previous games. The atmosphere can be tense, silly, or horrifying, sometimes all at the same time, like a proper Fallout game. The characters are far more interesting and useful than FO3, and in some cases can even rival FONV.

The DLCs are pretty good, too, if overpriced for what some of them provide. A couple are just more bits for settlement building, which I appreciated but weren't vital. Automatron is a pretty decent short series of missions (about 6 missions) that give you the ability to create and modify robots with a lot of variety in available parts. Vault-Tec Workshop gives you a massive settlement complex, some new pieces, and a short series of missions that let you experiment on the residents of the vault (primarily a guy named Clem) with new technologies, with all the amoral comedy normally ascribed to Vault-Tec. Far Harbor is a new landmass with a new plot revolving around three competing factions. It's a great DLC that adds a LOT of stuff. Nuka World, on the other hand, adds a somewhat smaller landmass where you're handed the reins of a corporation of raider gangs looking to take over an old theme park. You can work with the Raiders (and even go back home and conquer settlement sites as a hostile version of the Minute Men), or you can wipe the raiders out and claim Nuka World for yourself (the good path isn't so rewarding as the evil one, here, but it's still heart-warming).

And, of course, there's the modding. The best part of the game, allowing you to twist it into whatever form you want. Just don't use the Creation Club - everything they offer is over-priced, under-developed, and poorly thought out. Mods can do everything they've done, and far better, for free. If you're gonna spend money, donate it to the mod-makers, not to Bethesda.

Edit: also, I appreciate the comments above. I may have misjudged the combat mechanics. I kind of liked the combat against the raiders, but got attacked by bugs near the gas station, and I just couldn't make head or tails where were the enemies. The environment is cluttered with useless things.
    Preston Garvey is the source of a massive amount of "Radiant" (random) quests. Radiant quests are not typically interesting in the slightest, and it often seems like Preston cannot talk to you (or even walk within 10 feet of you) without handing you a new one. It starts out okay, gets annoying, gets infuriating, and then gets to the point that people avoid Concord more than they do the Glowing Sea (a wasteland filled with heavy radiation and extremely powerful monsters). Garvey is a nice enough guy and it's possible to like him, but if you don't get a mod that stops the quest-giving mechanic you will end up shooting him in the face. It's just going to happen. Not that it helps, it's just therapeutic.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2017-11-28 at 11:40 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Well Preston Garvey ,without getting too much into his awful dialogue and boring backstory, is the worst... because of the fact he's the first and most active hub of the radiant quest system which just has flaws... And he never shuts up about you helping people. He is one of like 5-6 people that you cant kill ever... without some major mods... though his immortality makes him an excellent deathclaw snack I guess

Oh one other thing about the combat that I thought was annoying when I started but kind of just got accustomed too when you said you were attacked by bugs using VATS just to find where enemies are is not only valid but I recommend it helps you find where to shoot run etc...

Edit: I will echo the sentiment about mods being pretty great there are mods that add nearly as much as the DLCs and I heartily recommend the nexus.

Edit: I am one of those people that avoids Concord like its the plague I think of my probably 15 run throughs only 2 have bothered to rescue Preston Garvey and company.

Edit: Ninja'd and Edit Ninja'd : )
    Last edited by Nokrud; 2017-11-28 at 11:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Two words: Radiant Quests.

"Oh by the way, there's a settlement that desperately needs your help! Like FIVE of them! And if you don't go there, you will fail the quests, and possibly lose stuff you had there.

The gas station fight was Mole Rats. Their shtick is to burrow, making them a bit difficult to target, as you saw. There's another enemy that does this that is FAR more dangerous.

One thing I like about FO4's weapons is the mod system. Picking up Gun Nut and Science! are very valuable.

One thing I don't like about FO4's weapons is the arbitrary usefulness. SMG's, for example, are inherently inferior to an equally modded up pipe pistol with an automatic receiver. And weigh a ton more. And shoot expensive .45 ammo instead of .38. So yea... there is never a scenario in which you ever want to equip an SMG. Ever. No exceptions.

Oh, and 'legendary' enemies can drop a piece of legendary gear. What it is... is completely random. It could be anything from an Explosive Combat Shotgun to an Assassin's Leather Shoulder. Which... ugh, don't get me started. They apparently tried to copy Diablo3's random gear acquisition stuff. Sure, there's some guaranteed affix weapons out there, but they're generally less useful (although there are exceptions... OSG for example, or Le Fusil). I strongly suggest using a mod to fix this. There are ways to cheese the RNG to force a given weapon at given spots. For example, near the place you found Preston Garvy, there's a sewer. Right in the sewer is a trio of radroaches, one of which is almost always a legendary, and almost always drops a pipe pistol. So you can kill it, if you get the cool affix (kneecapper or explosive), awesome. If not, reset, kill it again until it does. But really, use a mod to make legendary affixes moddable.

Honestly, if I were to make a single FO4 mod (which I can't, because I don't have the tools that will work on Linux), it would be a weapon rebalance. SMG's would be lightweight, but capable of semi-auto or full-auto, and do okay damage, especially with the 5.56 receiver that turns it into a Carbine. Combat Rifles would become Battle Rifles, would be bolt action or semi-auto, and do more damage per shot, while weighing slightly more. Assault Rifles would become LMG's and have an option to be chambered in 7.62, do more damage than SMG's, but also weigh more. And the Western Revolver would be chambered in .45, because the Peacemaker is generally more 'iconic' than the Colt Walker.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

I refuse to acknowledge the combat being improved in Fallout 4, given the number of times I've been killed when the gun did not fire for a full second after I pressed the trigger. I realize they're trying to simulate Colonial times, but there's a reason we abandoned Matchlocks.

The plot is... awful, and awfully boring.

@Shneekey: I think it was the two bloodbugs south of there feasting on the dead Brahmin he was talking about.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

I refuse to acknowledge the combat being improved in Fallout 4, given the number of times I've been killed when the gun did not fire for a full second after I pressed the trigger. I realize they're trying to simulate Colonial times, but there's a reason we abandoned Matchlocks.

The plot is... awful, and awfully boring.

@Shneekey: I think it was the two bloodbugs south of there feasting on the dead Brahmin he was talking about.
    Oh, right... them. Flying enemies suck. There's bloodbugs and there's stingwings. Either one of them are a royal PITA. Stingwings are this game's Cazadores. Smaller and more mobile, so even harder to hit, and just as damaging if you aren't careful.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

Many good mods have already been suggested, but I recommend picking up the following:

Atomic Radio: adds immersion to the radio with setting appropriate ads.

Tales From the Commonwealth: adds a ton of interesting miniquests that really make the game feel more like Fallout. I highly recommend it.

Sim Settlements: really it simplifies the whole settlement thing, get it.

Fusion City: at least I'm pretty sure this is the quest mod I'm thinking of. Adds a stupid location BUT there's some great story there that ties a lot of places and factions together in a way that gives great depth to the world. A lot of stupid things finally make sense and it's a good tie in to Fallout 3.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2017-11-28 at 04:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That depends greatly on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a cool action sandbox with satirical science fiction elements, then it's great. If you're looking for a tight-immersive story with a well-through-out backstory, NO. I really enjoyed FO4, mainly because I didn't come to it with a bunch of sprite-based text RPG baggage. The game is mechanically very good, and the perks, weapons, and enemies are far better designed, with less runaway power creep than your typical Bethsoft title. However, if you're looking for an in-depth, dialogue driven, choose-your-own adventure experience, Obsidian is over there.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Oh, right... them. Flying enemies suck. There's bloodbugs and there's stingwings. Either one of them are a royal PITA. Stingwings are this game's Cazadores. Smaller and more mobile, so even harder to hit, and just as damaging if you aren't careful.
    Wait til they get close, shoot them in VATS, enjoy a milk bone in a commmie-free world.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2017-11-28 at 05:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

I've always found Bloodbugs worse. I've been killed a couple times by legendary ones. Including once in Survival, because it seems they're poisonous. Which is supremely unhelpful.