New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VII - Vault-Tec calling

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Admittedly, the frozen specimens were never intended to ever be revived(and were seemingly expected to eventually all die).
    The idea behind 111 was to see how people would react to being put in cryo-stasis with out their knowledge....so we can presume that they were intended to be thawed at some point. The revolt by the vault staff threw a big monkey wrench into the works, and the residents were never thawed as planned.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    The idea behind 111 was to see how people would react to being put in cryo-stasis with out their knowledge....so we can presume that they were intended to be thawed at some point. The revolt by the vault staff threw a big monkey wrench into the works, and the residents were never thawed as planned.
    The staff in the vault actually weren't in charge of the thawing at all, they were just there for the short term. Vault-Tec itself was supposed to handle 111 remotely from there, but the bombs dropped a little differently than the mad scientists expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Well, Vault 111's experiments are certainly lacking in that sinister twist most Vault-Tec experiments have. It is really a thing that struck me as odd and not very "fallout-like" in FO 4. Vault-Tec and Vaults are not the focus of the game
    The Vaults aren't the focus of New Vegas at all, and the "wacky experiments" purpose of the Vault system wasn't explicitly revealed until the end of Fallout 2.

Interestingly, FO4 also has the most Vaults once you install the DLC, at 7 (NV and 3 have 6 each, though NV also has non-Vault-Tec vaults in both the base game and Dead Money). The games with the fewest are the first two, and FO1's Vault experiments seem totally mundane compared to 3's (12 has a faulty door, 13 was supposed to stay locked for 200 years, 15 had an adversarially multicultural dweller makeup; 112 has the VR loungers of eternal life, 108 is Gary, 101 is 13 taken to the extreme) while FO2 recycles two of 1's Vaults while also introducing the first of two known control Vaults.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2017-06-06 at 12:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fallout 2 #9: The Road to Vault City

We'd spent a few days with the Umbra Tribe before Sulik was finally ready to head out again. Apart from one surly guard, they were pleasant folks who only needed a few easy chores done. We put a ghost to rest--my second exorcismsince leaving Arroyo, now that I think of it--and gathered firewood for a woman. Finally, Sulik sidled up to me, commented that the village had begun to feel small, and that he and Grampy Bone were ready to move out.

Vic had said that he got his Vault canteens from Vault City, far away to the East. After grilling the rotund trader a bit more, I felt pretty confident that we could get there with a minimum of fuss.

Minimum of fuss translated to a few highwayman that were easily gunned down, some geckos that we ran from to save ammo, and a small family. Sulik yelped when, after machine gunning the mantises that had bothered the family, I turned my barrel on the family as well. I'm trying not to let the guilt get to me; I just murdered five people because I wanted the ammo from their SMGs, and the caps from the guns themselves.

Am I a bad person?

We were just outside of Vault City when the slavers hit. They jumped us, guns raised. Before we could even put our hands up, though, two of them fell, shredded by a hail of assault-rifle fire. Eight men, all well-armed and wearing combat armor, mercilessly tore them to pieces. I could only worry that they'd already heard about my crime, and nervously unload my SMG into the slavers. I didn't have to worry, though; they swung their guns up, and told me that we were almost there.

I've decided to stay the night outside of Vault City's walls. Something about this place feels off.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

This time most of my settlements won't be something to write home about, at least not design wise. Instead of walls I secure everthing with turrets on towers, and an occasional robot.
    Sanctuary is still mainly only the two "main" houses; no need to spread out further except a strongpoint by my Purified Water "factory" by the river.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    It's the same way with the Institute. Right now, their operations are disjointed, scattered, working at cross purposes. Their actions are evil, yeah, but hardly organized. They're only threatening because there's no organized competing faction until the Brotherhood arrives. They're nothing compared to what they might be with some actual organization. Instead of sporadically replacing farmers, they could seize control of the region.
    What the Institute needs is a figure like the Master, or Caesar. Someone with the conviction to organize a robot army effectively and shoot you in the head if you get in their way. Father... didn't seem to have that kind of personality to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    In a way, that would be cooler. Descendants of the actual Vault-Tec scientists, invovled in the experiments? It would certainly play oddly for the Sole Survivor... On the one hand, Vault Tec saved your life. On the other hand, the Institute killed your spouse and stole most of your son's life from you.
    That would tie the beginning game much better to the main story arc. As well as at least one NPC you meet later on. ;)

Iirc, that's actually one of the common theories. That or the Zetans having helped prod it to starting.
    Yeah... Mothership Zeta was cute and amusing as a 50s alien abduction sidequest, but I dunno that I'd invest into them prodding the war.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

BALROG II heading into Boston as Supply Line Bot from the Boathouse to Hangman\s Alley.
    Spoiler
    Show

Question: Is the AI more aggressive on Assaultrons than on ADA? I am thinking of custom-building an Assaultron follower for me to bring to known tough fights. ADA does not seem to be as aggressive as the supply line Assaultrons I have.

Edit: question II: How to get the Bunker Hill settlement?

Edit: I have given up on Sentry legs. Never on followers, ever, but that's not news. The thing is that even on provisioners they lead to A) VERRRY slow motion and B) Utter STUPIDITY. I had Patton II stuck against a lightpost on an empty street because he couldn't handle his awesome legs. I put Robobrain tracks on him, and he is super fast and navigates anything.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-06-06 at 02:19 PM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    You have to complete the quest "The Battle of Bunker Hill", which is partway through the Institute questline--so make sure you don't get kicked out of the place before you do that mission!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Question: Is the AI more aggressive on Assaultrons than on ADA? I am thinking of custom-building an Assaultron follower for me to bring to known tough fights. ADA does not seem to be as aggressive as the supply line Assaultrons I have.
    A quick search here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ada and http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Assaultron#Assaultron

says no and yes. Agressive is http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gamebr...tes#Aggression

Ada is aggressive as is the standard Assaultron. Higher Assaultron enemies are VERY aggressive and kill innocent bystanders too.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...
    What stats seem like the most worth potentially bumping to a base of 12?(via You're SPECIAL + bobblehead)
    Agility or Luck maybe?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say Luck (for crit builds), Agility for stealth/VATS builds and Endurance for anyone else.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Luck seems to reach a point where it doesn't speed the Crit rate at all. I don't know what the cut off is.

Personally, I'd stick with Agility and endurance. That boosts AP and slows use, and let's you sprint for longer.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

12. - Top - End - #192

Quick question - I like sci-fi games where you can do a little something besides just fire a gun. Whether it's Mass Effect-style biotics and tech powers, Deus Ex style cloaking/remote-hacking/concussive arm-blasts, many of the abilities in the Borderlands games etc., I like a little paranormal activity to go with my gunplay. I've never played a Fallout game - do they give your protagonist any powers along those lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Quick question - I like sci-fi games where you can do a little something besides just fire a gun. Whether it's Mass Effect-style biotics and tech powers, Deus Ex style cloaking/remote-hacking/concussive arm-blasts, many of the abilities in the Borderlands games etc., I like a little paranormal activity to go with my gunplay. I've never played a Fallout game - do they give your protagonist any powers along those lines?
    No. You have variations on "I can beat on things", but nothing paranormal or even particularly higher tech than "different kind of gun."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, afraid not. Probably the best you get there is the ability to dance on land mines, and even that is phrased in terms of your ability to avoid triggering proximity sensors via being good at sneaking.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No Fallout game so far has given the player paranormal abilities, although all of them support rudimentary stealth gameplay and a consumable invisibility potion stealth device.

The main "not gunplay" features available to players in Fallout 4 are the intimidation perks (force enemies to back down and maybe even turn on their own allies) and Automatron (turn your dapper British robot butler into a flying harbinger of laser-y death).

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Can't help but wave the Mod For That flag.

A couple actually, one recent one that makes you into a mutant X-Men style, and an older one to give Skyrim Dragon Shouts. Those are for Fallout 4

On the other hand, Fallout has always had some powers like that but subtle. For example, I've found a character build in Fallout 3 that basically stays radiated, and then regenerates completely if they aren't killed outright.

Fallout New Vegas with Project Nevada and it's Cybernetics expansion gives you the ability to throw fireballs like Mario, or more usefully, EMP's to fight robots. Turn invisible, or scan enemies to learn their health. Just useful, simple powers but very subtle mostly.

17. - Top - End - #197

Thanks all. A bit disappointing but I'll still play (that just moved it down my backlog a bit.) And I'll look into some of those mods as well.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Could just say the teleportation from the Blitz perk is actually teleportation... there's supernatural elements in several of the Fallouts, but not ones the player can take by default.

And I wouldn't recommend FO4 as someone's first Fallout game. It can be stupidly fun and addictive, but hoo boy does it have no idea how to be a Fallout RPG.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

19. - Top - End - #199

Well, given that I ALSO have no idea what it takes to be a Fallout RPG, that may be to my advantage
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Could just say the teleportation from the Blitz perk is actually teleportation... there's supernatural elements in several of the Fallouts, but not ones the player can take by default.

And I wouldn't recommend FO4 as someone's first Fallout game. It can be stupidly fun and addictive, but hoo boy does it have no idea how to be a Fallout RPG.
    Personally I consider it not only a fallout game but the best one in the series.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BALROG II heading into Boston as Supply Line Bot from the Boathouse to Hangman\s Alley.
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: I have given up on Sentry legs. Never on followers, ever, but that's not news. The thing is that even on provisioners they lead to A) VERRRY slow motion and B) Utter STUPIDITY. I had Patton II stuck against a lightpost on an empty street because he couldn't handle his awesome legs. I put Robobrain tracks on him, and he is super fast and navigates anything.
    I find Ada is about as aggressive as your flesh and blood companions. A normal, scratch built bot, seems to be more aggressive, which is not always a good thing (Hence my earlier suggestion to boost Chr. up to 8 and get 1 rank of Influential, to keep your bot from nuking you along with the enemy).

Robobrain tracks are the way to go, hands down. Faster than 2 legs, more mobile than 4. Add on a sentry torso with mortars (or nukes if you're feeling lucky (punk)) and either a robobrain head (for the mesmer attack) or the Assultron laser head. An explosive gatling laser and the stealth blade for arm weapons and a tesla coil torso mod...throw on the armor that deals poison damage and your good to go every time.

As for supply routes, I tend to pick the shortest route available. So I have a line from Starlight to the Boathouse, or Starlight to Greygarden, to Oberland, to Hangman's Alley. The longer the route, the more chances there are for things to get mucked up. On a side note, yesterday I surprised a gang of Rust Devils as they started to attack one of my supply bots. Two-shot Gauss Rifle to the face for everybody!
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-06-07 at 02:35 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. I suspected as much. Follower Codename Katana will be created momentary!
    I am not really interested in mortars for followers, only for supply bots.
    I can't do sentry torsos yet. However on a heavy bot like that I would go hammer-saw instead of stealth blade because of stagger and bleed combo.

Edit: I'm deliberately roleplaying as strongly preferring energy weapons. Also yes. I will upgrade BALROG II so BALROG iii will have threads.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-06-07 at 05:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Can't help but wave the Mod For That flag.

A couple actually, one recent one that makes you into a mutant X-Men style, and an older one to give Skyrim Dragon Shouts. Those are for Fallout 4

On the other hand, Fallout has always had some powers like that but subtle. For example, I've found a character build in Fallout 3 that basically stays radiated, and then regenerates completely if they aren't killed outright.

Fallout New Vegas with Project Nevada and it's Cybernetics expansion gives you the ability to throw fireballs like Mario, or more usefully, EMP's to fight robots. Turn invisible, or scan enemies to learn their health. Just useful, simple powers but very subtle mostly.
    Happen to know the names of those two Fallout 4 mods?(I'm also sort of curious now if there's any bow and arrow mods... I kind of want to rp as "inexplicably the dovakiin")
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

I've never played a Fallout game - do they give your protagonist any powers along those lines?
    I mean, some perks add REALLY weird functions to your character. Fallout 4 allows for Nightvision, Life Regeneration (while irradiated, while in the sun, and just because), Immunity to Radiation, Underwater Breathing, Immunity to crippled Limbs, you can upgrade your dog companion with several perks and armor pieces from mere trusty (and invincible) German shepherd to your main source of damage, aforementioned Blitz perk gets you teleport, a mysterious stranger follows you and kills your enemies sometimes. And as always you can science pretty hard that it looks like magic to the outside. Animal Friendship is a lame power but still one you can get.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. I suspected as much. Follower Codename Katana will be created momentary!
    I am not really interested in mortars for followers, only for supply bots.
    I can't do sentry torsos yet. However on a heavy bot like that I would go hammer-saw instead of stealth blade because of stagger and bleed combo.

Edit: I'm deliberately roleplaying as strongly preferring energy weapons. Also yes. I will upgrade BALROG II so BALROG iii will have threads.
    The mortars are nice if you are playing a range type...using rifles more than pistols or melee combat, since they can take down a swarm of charging ghouls pretty quickly, before they can teleport that last couple of feet and hit you. Actually it works well with any swarming enemy...ghouls, mole rats, rad spiders, the baby sand worms and pesky flys in nuka world...

- L. Long

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

There are also some hints of the supernatural in Fallout, like with
    Spoiler: Spoilered just in case you are worried about a (very) early game plot element
    Show
    mama Murphy's "wait a second, she actually is accurate in her predictions" special sight thing.
    Meow(Steam page)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Happen to know the names of those two Fallout 4 mods?(I'm also sort of curious now if there's any bow and arrow mods... I kind of want to rp as "inexplicably the dovakiin")
    You should antagonize the Brotherhood then. Their giant fire spewing robot with the world devastating nuclear powers and their base upon the clouds - just like Sovngarde - must be brought down. For Preston and citizens of Whiterun Sanctuary...

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

The Lone Dovahkiin is the Dragonborn mod, but I can't remember the name of the other one, or find it via description search.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, there's been supernatural stuff in Fallout since the beginning. While [Mama Murphy] is the most recent example (as Togath pointed out), Psychic powers have been an uncommon facet of the setting since the very first game, though they've never been available to the player*.

*Well, unless you count the Animal Friend perk, since developing mind powers to dominate animals is a valid interpretation of what's going on there.

Spoiler: Spoilers for older Fallout games, if anyone at all actually cares
    Show

The most powerful Psyker seen in the series so far was the very first game's Master, who has mutated to the point of more closely resembling some horrid Lovecraftian thing than a human being. While he didn't showcase much of his power ingame, attempting to approach him without appropriate protection results in repeated mindrape, intense enough to do physical damage to the player. Tabitha in New Vegas also claims that he gave her commands telepathically, but she's actually insane so maybe not the best source.

Tabitha: Do you remember the good old days, where the Master ruled over us all?
    Rhonda: When his gentle, compelling, and yet oddly insistent voice crawled through your mind, and told you exactly what to do?

(Rhonda is a robot, and is almost certainly repeating something Tabitha told her.)

There are a few other psychic characters in the first Fallout, but they represent failed experiments by The Master and don't actually use any of their powers ingame.

Fallout 2 has Hakunin, who is also probably a Psyker, and like Mama Murphy uses drugs to enhance his powers. At first he seems like a pretty typical tribal shaman, until he starts sending you status updates in your dreams...

New Vegas has The Forecaster, a young boy wearing a psychic nullifier from the first game. You can pay him to take it off and "think about something" for you. He's accurate, though often cryptic.

Fallout Tactics has the Beastlords, an entire faction of mutant Tribals who have mutated (though in the form of a population like that, one might say "evolved") the ability to dominate many types of animals with their will. Fallout Tactics is not strictly canon, but I'm reasonably sure the broad strokes of it still are.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the Dunwitch Bore and the Tooth of Krelm in FO4 that approach the supernatural. The effects aren't that supernatural (legendary effect on a bladed weapon that just causes it to do more damage), but the area around it... leaves itself open to interpretation.

And that's really mostly how Fallout handles such things. 95% of it is unable to be definitively proven, simply implied. Those few things which are not able to be wholly explained by science can generally be explained by SCIENCE!! or at least might be able to be.

Also don't forget that aliens are canon, who might be involved in screwing around with things as well. Therefore, those things which cannot be adequately explained by human tech can generally be adequately explained by alien tech (such as the mysteries surrounding the Cabot House).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora