New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1072 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    But bureaucracies hate unambitious people. If you decline a promotion, they will tend to think there's something wrong with you.
    Having dealt with relatively few bureaucracies, I can only say that my experiences so far have not lead me to believe that they dislike unambitious people.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Having dealt with relatively few bureaucracies, I can only say that my experiences so far have not lead me to believe that they dislike unambitious people.
    It is not as pronounced as it once was. During the 90's and a good portion of the 00's, job interviews had a "thing" from trying to select only ambitious people - any indication that you were not there to claw your way up the company ladder was pretty much the death-knell to any chance of surviving the interview process (this is the basis behind the infamous "where do you see yourself in 5 years" interview question).

Recently, that has started to change - or maybe they've gotten a lot better at hiding the question to the point where I can no longer tell they are fishing for that. But I suspect not - I tend to be quite open about not wanting to go into management, and I still have had good success rate in interviews in the last few years.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #153

Part of that is that it's no longer expected you'll spend any real length of time with any one company. Places that still expect you to be there for a term measured in decades do look for people who're going to play the game.

Of course, there are other organizations where if you show yourself unpromotable, they'll put you at the top of the list for the next downsizing. Or just tell you to plan on retirement in the near future, in the case of the military.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It is not as pronounced as it once was. During the 90's and a good portion of the 00's, job interviews had a "thing" from trying to select only ambitious people - any indication that you were not there to claw your way up the company ladder was pretty much the death-knell to any chance of surviving the interview process (this is the basis behind the infamous "where do you see yourself in 5 years" interview question).
    I've always wanted to go to a job interview and give the Mitch Hedberg answer: "Celebrating the five-year anniversary of you asking me this question!"