New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Shadow men? Quick, somebody tell Coyote so he can sue for copyright infringement!!

It's also false advertising, as neither of them are men. I think.
    One of them is a Man, but not a man, and the other is a man, but not a Man.

This means that, as a team, they're qualified to take down Witch-Kings.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I kind of hope Kat had the prescience to set up defensive systems in her lab, just in case. These two don't seem hostile, even though they know WAY too much for comfort; but still, they are the Court.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Huh. Maybe they really were trying to bait a response out of Kat. If they are such a secret group, there's no way for Kat to verify what their name actually is.

Though since A&J already know about Shadow, there's also no real point to it.

Jones never guaranteed that Shadow would remain hidden, just that their odds were better if he attended classes at Foley. Wonder if she knows about the Shadow Men.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While Jones may not know the names of the members, I suspect she is at least aware such an organization exists.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    While Jones may not know the names of the members, I suspect she is at least aware such an organization exists.
    Jones was giving them instructions, so yes, she knows about them, assuming anyone with the insignia is a member.

I'm wondering what makes them be a secret organization. So far, I haven't seen them behaving any differently than a non-secret security force would behave.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Huh. Maybe they really were trying to bait a response out of Kat. If they are such a secret group, there's no way for Kat to verify what their name actually is.

Though since A&J already know about Shadow, there's also no real point to it.

Jones never guaranteed that Shadow would remain hidden, just that their odds were better if he attended classes at Foley. Wonder if she knows about the Shadow Men.
    Well, Jones said that if anyone asks about Shadow, they should be referred to her. Hopefully Annie shared that information with Kat....

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I had missed that they had the badges in that scene as well.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Even though Jones does seem to have the authority to give instructions to the Shadow Men, she doesn't seem powerful enough to overrule them in a direct conflict. It could be that as the Court's consultant, they simply deferred to her expertise during the station incident. She lied about Annie being instructed to get close to Jack, and aided them in hiding Shadow from the rest of the Court (for her own curiosity it seemed).

She openly admits that some secrets are kept from even her: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=723

It seems to me that she didn't know how close the Shadow Men were to discovering Shadow, and even if she did she wouldn't be able to tell them to stop their snooping.

Nevertheless, she does seem like the logical person to turn to if the Shadow Men have ill intentions for Shadow.

EDIT: Friday's comic because I am an impatient person with no patience

Spoiler
    Show
    So the pair are aware of their river adventure, but haven't shared it with the other Shadow Men. I wonder why? Potential intrigue incoming. They may be working their own agenda, or trying to shake down Kat for something.

If they were Jones' people, it seems unlikely they would approach Kat like this.
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2017-06-09 at 02:12 AM. Reason: I post too hastily it seems
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

So they know some stuff...

What she didn't say is that she knows what they were doing off campus. And we still have no idea what their motives are.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So they know some stuff...

What she didn't say is that she knows what they were doing off campus. And we still have no idea what their motives are.
    Maybe they intend to pressure Kat to cooperate in some way. Perhaps to let them study Shadow? To share the information that Kat has figured out about robots?

I checked, but there didn't seem to be any indication of where the kids were before Parley blipped them into the gorge. Maybe they met outside at the bridge (technically outside the Court) and blipped from there and that's all that Juliette and Arthur know. That alone would probably make Juliette and Arthur assume that they were up to something that Kat would want to keep hushed up.

ADDED: Just spotted this:
    EDIT: Friday's comic because I am an impatient person with no patience

Spoiler
    Show
    So the pair are aware of their river adventure, but haven't shared it with the other Shadow Men. I wonder why? Potential intrigue incoming. They may be working their own agenda, or trying to shake down Kat for something.

If they were Jones' people, it seems unlikely they would approach Kat like this.
    I doubt they are Jone's people. She doesn't seem to be the type to want to have a secret Court organization reporting to her. Still, Juliette seems to be acting rather independently of her chain of command, so I don't think we can conclude if Jones is a boss from Juliette's behavior. Anyway, I wouldn't conclude that Jones wouldn't have the authority to get the Shadow Men in trouble if she chose to. Jones was advising the Headmaster, so apparently she has a fair amount of influence at the Court. I think it's likely that Juliette would think it's best to obey her if Jones becomes involved.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-09 at 05:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Goddamnit. This woman clearly paid no attention to the PSA.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-12 at 02:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Fascinating. I mean we knew they were buddies, but I didn't think they were heading in that direction.

Gunnerkrigg fan art is going to go nuts over this. Heh, nuts.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Didn't the last time this s**t went down, it was super-bad? Yeah, the lovesick ship that wanted to be a whale.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Didn't the last time this s**t went down, it was super-bad? Yeah, the lovesick ship that wanted to be a whale.
    This time it's mutual. The ship was a lame stalker.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just as long as the request isn't to make Arthur "fully functional".

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Just as long as the request isn't to make Arthur "fully functional".
    But. That's the most important part! Obviously.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Goddamnit. This woman clearly paid no attention to the PSA.
    Don't you mean THIS PSA?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Didn't expect THAT. Everybody who can blush or assume an embarrassed posture, is.

I wonder what Robot's religion is going to make of this. He and Arthur should talk first; becoming organic and experiencing physical sensation is a WORLD of difference.

Extortion or not, Kat, you should go along. Once Arthur is organic, these two will be in your pocket (and probably close friends) because they'll have no choice. Don't know how they're going to explain it to the other Shadow Men, though ("Yeah, I woke up one day and BOOM! Suddenly, I was muscle and blood, skin and bones. Must have been something I ate.")

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, they had been finishing each other's sentences. Still, although she didn't come across as a very ruthless or efficient secret police agent, I didn't expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Extortion or not, Kat, you should go along. Once Arthur is organic, these two will be in your pocket (and probably close friends) because they'll have no choice. Don't know how they're going to explain it to the other Shadow Men, though ("Yeah, I woke up one day and BOOM! Suddenly, I was muscle and blood, skin and bones. Must have been something I ate.")
    Maybe they intend to leave the Court?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-06-12 at 08:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I wonder what Jones will think about this?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Don't you mean THIS PSA?
    That assumes that Arthur, luckiest dog of a robot in the world, initiated the relationship.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Faye and Bubbles are up to here in Gunnerkrigg Content.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Whenever Robot says something is wonderful, that makes me think it's not.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Well, they've made a friend of Kat now.

(Perhaps bottled tea she had there for her use. She heated it up and served it because that's what you do in situations like this. I think.)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well Kat and Robot seem on board at least. Kat is just bursting with enthusiasm.

I must say Arthur and Juliette do a pretty good job of keeping this hush hush from the rest of the court, assuming nobody else knows. Though I guess being part of the Shadow Men makes that easier.

25. - Top - End - #55

BarbarianGuy

Kat's face in Panel 5 is pure Betty Rubble cartoon. Brilliant style switch mid-comic.
    The Giant

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Comic
    Show
    Ooh, backstory.

I find it hilarious that Arthur and friends apparently had a thing where they gave love letters to people. That's some kind of fad, coming from robots.

Although, with all the odd behaviours exhibited by robots in this series maybe it's not so unexpected.

So...it seems that Arthur received progressively upgraded bodies over time. I wonder if that's the norm for all robots, and if so why.

Those childhood flashbacks are adorable.

27. - Top - End - #57

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Comic
    Show
    Ooh, backstory.

I find it hilarious that Arthur and friends apparently had a thing where they gave love letters to people. That's some kind of fad, coming from robots.

Although, with all the odd behaviours exhibited by robots in this series maybe it's not so unexpected.

So...it seems that Arthur received progressively upgraded bodies over time. I wonder if that's the norm for all robots, and if so why.

Those childhood flashbacks are adorable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mk 1 seems disturblingly similar to Pintisze. No child should ever recieve a love letter from Pintsize.
    The Giant

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    That assumes that Arthur, luckiest dog of a robot in the world, initiated the relationship.
    It seems to be an issue with robots in this world. They attach to humans, but it's like someone didn't program that part right and there's no middle ground in far too many.

Which is why the PSA is needed in the first place.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    It seems to be an issue with robots in this world. They attach to humans, but it's like someone didn't program that part right and there's no middle ground in far too many.

Which is why the PSA is needed in the first place.
    I can't help but wonder if it's Diego's influence. All the Court robots are his, or descended from his works if I recall correctly. Their AI (by design or not) might lean towards forming these kinds of attachments, and Arthur is just lucky that Juliette reciprocated.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I can't help but wonder if it's Diego's influence. All the Court robots are his, or descended from his works if I recall correctly. Their AI (by design or not) might lean towards forming these kinds of attachments, and Arthur is just lucky that Juliette reciprocated.
    Yes, I think that fits with the laser cows not taking care of Young's monument and not liking Eglamore, also. IIRC, Diego didn't like Young, so he programmed his robots to not like him.