New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Wow. That was unexpected for many reasons. But as mentioned he is currently missing a hand.

Kat's hairstyle looks pretty weird. But I guess it is functional? The super weird part is Kat getting along with him. I thought she didn't like Tony for reasons everyone can understand.

It's not clear how much time has passed. There's no reason for Kat to keep this a secret from Annie, is there. But that's clearly a surprised face.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

"So since you're here, and you are now in on Kat's Super Secret Robot Plan, why don't you tell us about the Omega Device?"
    ...is what I'd probably say in Annie's place. Or, what I'd try to say, at least, I might not be able to get any words to come out at all.

I don't think I can guess what Annie is actually going to do, though.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Wait! (he said, clutching at straws). Could this be a dream? That would explain the anomalous things like Annie and Kat's hair, Annie's really casual attire, Tony's LEFT hand being so deep in his pocket you can't tell if it's a stump or not, Kat being able to be in the same room as Tony and laugh...

I am just not buying this situation as presented.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Kat's hairstyle looks pretty weird. But I guess it is functional? The super weird part is Kat getting along with him. I thought she didn't like Tony for reasons everyone can understand.
    I think it's supposed to be a fun haircut. I suspect the idea is that she is enjoying working with Anthony or is in a good mood because it's going well and so she felt like getting a more fun haircut. It adds to the sense that things changed in a surprising way.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't believe Kat would help Anthony regain his arm. What's more, he said to her dad that he doesn't regret losing it. The only way they could get along that well together is if it was for Annie's sake. Anthony wasted his youth on trying to science away Annie's mom condition (can't live long once her daughter is born) and than another 5-10 years on magicking her back. So my guess is, he turned to Kat with the idea to develop an artificial body for Annie or for her Fire Elemental. Kat can't refuse to at least try. It is her best friend's continued survival.

Doubt it could work. Would it still be Annie without her original fiery soul?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if he's helping simply because it's an interesting medical project.

But geez, Kat, you should have at least told Annie this was happening, if not asked if it was OK.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Monday

Spoiler
    Show
    This doesn't explain anything. Kat doesn't seem to think anything is strange, and neither does Anthony, but Annie still looks stunned. Are they messing with her? Is Tom messing with us?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Monday

Spoiler
    Show
    This doesn't explain anything. Kat doesn't seem to think anything is strange, and neither does Anthony, but Annie still looks stunned. Are they messing with her? Is Tom messing with us?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tom is always messing with us.

Was hoping to get some answers here, but oh well. I guess we'll have to wait until Wednesday. I do love Annie's expression throughout this page.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

PLEASE, God, let that be a shape shifter or illusionist pranking Annie! Let this be a hoax, a dream, an imaginary story! Let Annie be hallucinating! ANYTHING, just don't let that really be Anthony Carver! T_T

10. - Top - End - #100

Maybe it's actually a robot decoy Kat that real-Kat is using to mislead Anthony as part of a cunning plot.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Monday

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's another example of Tom messing with us. I doubt it, but it's possible that Kat assumed that Anthony told Annie what's going on over dinner. Althought I don't like the idea, it's possible that either Anothony or Kat just assumed that Annie was told of the collaberation by the other person.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

I hope it's just a misunderstanding, cause Kat going behind Annie's back over this feels a bit ****ty otherwise. :/
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Colour me curious, and hoping this will eventually sort itself out.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    it's possible that either Anothony or Kat just assumed that Annie was told of the collaberation by the other person.
    Erm, no offence intended, that feels logically clumsy to me, I'd want it to be "... both Anthony and Kat just assumed ...". Not that logic and English play nicely at the best of times, English "or" is usually logics "XOR".
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

I'VE GOT IT! It's the Kat Nobody! It survived the switch from Zimmyworld to here, and it's been hiding all this time until it managed to replace Kat and is now pretending to be her! But it doesn't know about her feelings towards Anthony, and so it's not raging as the real Kat would be!

Oh please let it be. (whimper, whimper)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've got a sneaking suspicion that this ties in to Red's sudden change of heart two chapters ago.

My guess is that the Court is doing...SOMETHING to Annie's friends as a means to manipulating her into doing...SOMETHING. Running away from the Court, going beyond the Forest?

I'm a little disapponted that Kat wasn't putting on an act around Anthony and is just pretending to get along for the sake of her research.

...unless there's surveillance technology hooked up and Kat still needs to put on the act?

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Mogotoo View Post
    I'm a little disapponted that Kat wasn't putting on an act around Anthony and is just pretending to get along for the sake of her research.

...unless there's surveillance technology hooked up and Kat still needs to put on the act?
    It's hard to imagine Kat successfully putting on an act.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Erm, intervention by Donald? As in Kat's father and Tony's best friend and generally awesome person.

Why didn't Kat tell Annie? Um, she was wating for the right moment?

All numbers are grammatically correct

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mogotoo View Post
    My guess is that the Court is doing...SOMETHING to Annie's friends as a means to manipulating her into doing...SOMETHING. Running away from the Court, going beyond the Forest?
    I don't think the court is that competent and I doubt that they have anything that they want Annie to do. OTOH, the pomps want Annie to join them. AFAIK, they can't manipulate people, though.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the behavior of Annie's friends is a plot device that causes her to become more involved with the pomps, I doubt that there is in-story manipulation involved. I am unsure, though.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Annie recognizes signs of mental illness and is dragging Kat to treatment. There is hope.

I wonder where they're going...

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I feel like this chapter is making fun of all the people who came up with ridiculous theories and explanations for the previous pages. Which includes me, so there. The idea that Kat could learn to get along with Anthony totally slipped my mind. In fact they seem to be of similar viewpoints when it comes to Etheric matters.

Also bear in mind that Anthony is friends with Kat's parents. That probably counts for something.

Kat's dad did say that Anthony has a tendency to hide aspects of himself from different people. It's possible that he opens up to Kat much better than he does the average person. Which probably doesn't make Annie feel any better.

That said, I would have thought Annie would be happy her best friend and dad (who she is still close to and defensive of) were getting along.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I feel like this chapter is making fun of all the people who came up with ridiculous theories and explanations for the previous pages. Which includes me, so there. The idea that Kat could learn to get along with Anthony totally slipped my mind. In fact they seem to be of similar viewpoints when it comes to Etheric matters.

Also bear in mind that Anthony is friends with Kat's parents. That probably counts for something.

Kat's dad did say that Anthony has a tendency to hide aspects of himself from different people. It's possible that he opens up to Kat much better than he does the average person. Which probably doesn't make Annie feel any better.
    Also Kat might simply remind him of Donald, as father and daughter they might have same mannerisms and such that would subconsciously put him more at ease. And considering their personalities, it's not actually that much of a stretch that they could get along IF there wasn't the fact that Anthony still acts so cold towards Annie. I wonder how Kat can simply ignore that, though I guess if you work long enough with someone then it's hard to stay on grumpy mode for very long if the other person doesn't actively piss you off.

That said, I would have thought Annie would be happy her best friend and dad (who she is still close to and defensive of) were getting along.
    If Anthony acted the same way around her, she might well be happy. But he doesn't, and instead is cold and aloof. He might not want to be like that exactly, based on what Donald showed Annie her father has some serious difficulties in getting along with people in general, and there's the extra baggage with Annie. Still, basically her father appears to be better friends with her own best friend than herself. Especially considering the circumstances, that's got to hurt, and I don't find it strange that she'd try to deny it.
    Last edited by CWater; 2017-07-14 at 08:49 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

When Annie was emotionally frozen and devastated by her mother's death, desperately in need of support, Tony shipped her off to GC and disappeared from her life for years.

Annie spent her first summer break at the Court hoping her father would come visit her. He didn't. Kat is aware of this.

Anthony almost killed Annie. He was deceived into it, but Anthony almost killed Annie.

When Anthony DID finally return - without letting Annie know he was coming - he delivered an emotional bootstomping on her, had her held back a grade, AND ordered her to give him control of Rey.

Given what we know of Kat and her temper AND her ability to hold grudges, I would not expect laughter and camaraderie. Rather, I would expect her to start from the far corner of her lab, run towards him at maximum speed, just before reaching him to launch herself into the air, and then do a Zimmy and slam her fist into the other side of his nose, breaking it the other way, while screaming "MESSAGE FROM YOUR LITTLE GIRL, MATE!!"

She's not doing that.

Maybe Annie is right and she IS being mind controlled.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, if there are no shenanigans involved, I'd says this is a pretty disappointing development.

25. - Top - End - #115

Hmm, honestly kat is being a poor friend imo you don't forgive the horrible father of your friend because he is capable of being pleasant to you and is smart. Also if you do warn your friend at least.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

We've had a timeskip, can we at least wait until the flashback to see what changed her mind before we pass judgement? Given than Annie is pretty much saying what we're thinking, a proper explanation is most likely forthcoming.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    We've had a timeskip, can we at least wait until the flashback to see what changed her mind before we pass judgement? Given than Annie is pretty much saying what we're thinking, a proper explanation is most likely forthcoming.
    Where's the fun in that?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, now I'm thinking there's definitely something strange happening.

I mean here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1836 Annie's about to have dinner with her dad. She looks happy about it, Kat hesitates as if she doesn't want to say what she's thinking. Which is consistent with previous events.

And now she's accusing him of brainwashing both Kat and Surma. Kat and Annie have kind of switched positions almost. Has she been talking to Eglamore or something?

Probably something did happen in the timeskip, which we still don't know how long it was. I'm trying to compare Annie's hair length before and after the jump, but it's kind of hard to estimate. Could be a month?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Urk. That was... unexpected. Both Kat and Anja are obviously shaken by Annie's comment. And yet, from her point of view, it makes perfect sense. And moves Anthony into the 'villain' category...

We may be about to find out how Anthony wound up with Surma, at last.

Okay, now I'm thinking there's definitely something strange happening.

I mean here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1836 Annie's about to have dinner with her dad. She looks happy about it, Kat hesitates as if she doesn't want to say what she's thinking. Which is consistent with previous events.

And now she's accusing him of brainwashing both Kat and Surma. Kat and Annie have kind of switched positions almost. Has she been talking to Eglamore or something?

Probably something did happen in the timeskip, which we still don't know how long it was. I'm trying to compare Annie's hair length before and after the jump, but it's kind of hard to estimate. Could be a month?
    Two months at least, I would say.

Some things to keep in mind. Wanting your father's approval and not to hear bad things about him doesn't equate with not thinking he's a jerk or monster, yourself. Annie STILL seems separated from her fire elemental emotions, which means the hate and rage that her father causes her only show up occasionally. And it is the very change in Kat's position - Annie KNOWS Kat hates him and is only not saying so in that scene for love of Annie - that has rattled Annie so much. If Kat had reacted to being in his presence with barely controlled distaste, that would be normal. But she was laughing.

Something's wrong.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Some things to keep in mind. Wanting your father's approval and not to hear bad things about him doesn't equate with not thinking he's a jerk or monster, yourself. Annie STILL seems separated from her fire elemental emotions, which means the hate and rage that her father causes her only show up occasionally. And it is the very change in Kat's position - Annie KNOWS Kat hates him and is only not saying so in that scene for love of Annie - that has rattled Annie so much. If Kat had reacted to being in his presence with barely controlled distaste, that would be normal. But she was laughing.

Something's wrong.
    It's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kat has simply changed her mind.