Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 7: Psychopomp and Circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by theKOT View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    She is about to push him over that rock, then they will fall together and realize their feelings for one another

Also, I was about to say it feels like we are spending too much time establishing that these two characters fell for each other, but then I remembered it hasn't actually been that many strips it just feels that way because the comic only updates three times a week. Reminds me of why I switched to only reading OOTS when the books come out.
    It's been 27 pages so far and they haven't even started falling for each other yet, so I would say it's been slow even based on the page count. Part of the problem is that Tom is showing us how boring it is for Surma, so it's not surprising that it's kind of boring for us, too. Beyond that, it's about characters that many of us don't care about and they aren't doing things that we are that interested in.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

I remember that the library has "insect danger" written in Greek on a wall. I wonder if it will come up. (It was when Zimmy was first introduced, I believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Hm, insects don't typically have babies that look like minature adults. I wonder whether the author knows that.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

he be peepin

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Hm, insects don't typically have babies that look like minature adults. I wonder whether the author knows that.
    Some insects have three cycles instead of four, egg, nymph, and adult. In these cases the adult may not look much different from the nymph stage (praying mantises fall into this category).

I was reading about golden egg beetles. The female lays eggs on a male, which hatch in a nymph form. Female giant water bugs also lay eggs on the male, although I couldn't find out if they hatched in a nymph form or not. I don't know if this was what Surma say, but it's possible she saw a father and his babies rather than the mother.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

I like the idea, put forward on the GK forum, that the 'babies' are actually mind controlling parasites and that Surma (and maybe Tony, but definitely her) are infected now. Hence this strange behavior.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maybe ... the plane passed through the Bermuda Triangle on the way to Brazil?

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I like the idea, put forward on the GK forum, that the 'babies' are actually mind controlling parasites and that Surma (and maybe Tony, but definitely her) are infected now. Hence this strange behavior.
    Or maybe they spread out and created a mind-control field inside their ring. Or maybe that many babies made Tony's and Surma's hormones kick in excessively for some reason...
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-10-04 at 09:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Yep, I'm going with mind controlling parasites.

9. - Top - End - #249

So...what just happened in the last two panels?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks like part of the branch fell over? Pretty exciting stuff there.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Looks like part of the branch fell over? Pretty exciting stuff there.
    Relatively speaking, it is.

Once they are done with this, the Court will want Tony and Surma to observe how the Amazonian humidity affects how various brands of paint dries.

12. - Top - End - #252

BlueWizardGirl

So . . . I'm going to guess the Court thought watching two slugs bring on the next generation of slugs would give Surma and Tony ideas. I guess the Court was deliberately trying to create Antimony.

Granted, the way most people seem to feel about slugs, I would have listed this plan under "doomed to failure," but it seems to have worked. Go figure.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In all seriousness, considering that all we know of James at this point in time is that he is away, Surma has potentially spent more time with Tony than with James.

As for weird reactions, I know stories of people having epiphanies of "I want to learn more about a subject I never found interesting before." from experiences like this. Just because we don't like what Tony becomes in the wake of Surma's death doesn't mean he wasn't a good person prior to that.

14. - Top - End - #254

BlueWizardGirl

Yeah, but . . . slugs.

Having been on camping trips where I woke up and got to observe the shadows of slugs crawling all over the tend, I can tell you that the feelings the inspire are "ick" and not romantic.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2017-10-13 at 10:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Boy, this comic became NSFW pretty quick.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Just because we don't like what Tony becomes in the wake of Surma's death doesn't mean he wasn't a good person prior to that.
    Donald seemed to indicate that Tony was pretty much the same when he was young as when he was older. It's not that he was bad person, but he was odd and unfriendly. Donald was the only person who wanted to be around him.

17. - Top - End - #257

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So . . . I'm going to guess the Court thought watching two slugs bring on the next generation of slugs would give Surma and Tony ideas. I guess the Court was deliberately trying to create Antimony.
    Unless you're suggesting they also engineered the tragic event which caused the last minute change of plans (which I'm inferring was the death of a close family member, but I may be off-base there), I'm not sure that follows. Sure, the Court's powerful and amoral, but they'd have to:
    a) create Anja's family emergency (maybe killing someone)
    b) know that Donny would choose to go with her instead of going with Tony
    c) know that Surma would volunteer to go in his place (an action which surprised even her best friend).

It's possible, but it feels a lot like gambit roulette (warning: tvtropes link).

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Unless you're suggesting they also engineered the tragic event which caused the last minute change of plans (which I'm inferring was the death of a close family member, but I may be off-base there), I'm not sure that follows. Sure, the Court's powerful and amoral, but they'd have to:
    a) create Anja's family emergency (maybe killing someone)
    b) know that Donny would choose to go with her instead of going with Tony
    c) know that Surma would volunteer to go in his place (an action which surprised even her best friend).

It's possible, but it feels a lot like gambit roulette (warning: tvtropes link).
    It would be enough to give her fake news of death in the family. By the time she found the truth, Surma and Tony would be gone on their insectslug-fest quest.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Another option is that the Court took advantage of an opportunity they saw.

Like, okay, let's say the Court wanted Antimony, potentially to study how she grew up. This means having her grow up in the Court, ideally with a parent who would be amenable to the Court's perspective, and let them poke and prod at their daughter for Science.

So, Surma was pretty close to Eglamore, next in line to be the Dragonslayer, he's a pretty good choice as far as things go, but far from perfect, especially on the "Would let them use his daughter for Science" front.

Anthony Carver on the other hand, at least looks to be the ideal member of the Court. Emotionally detached, cold, highly intelligent, methodical, and obedient.

When they heard that Surma an Tony were going on the trip together, they decided to help things along. Give them an assignment that would have them sitting next to each other for several hours each day with nothing to do but talk and stare at a tree.

If nothing happens, whatever, they'll work with Eglamore. But if they can get Surma and Tony together, they imagine that it would be easy to convince Tony to let the Court study his daughter, especially if Surma was stuck in a hospital bed during that time.

But, in the end, Tony showed more spine than they imagined, took Surma and Antimony away from the court, tried to cure Surma himself, and only sent Antimony to the court after Surma died. Maybe it was too late for them to do whatever it is they wanted to do with her at that point, or maybe he was just so out of it with grief that he didn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Boy, this comic became NSFW pretty quick.
    Hot, slimy slug sex. (nod, nod)

21. - Top - End - #261

Imp

Will these two just bone already so we can move on to characters that aren't terrible and/or dead before the start of the comic
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Mind control. No doubt about it.

Or she really got off on watching the slugs...

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it amusingly characteristic of Tony that even now he looks surprised and kind of oblivious.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Will these two just bone already so we can move on to characters that aren't terrible and/or dead before the start of the comic
    Well, there they go apparently.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder how Kat's mom heard this story?

In Donald's room

Surma: At first I was bored out of my skull but then countless little younglings exploded from this amazing beetlette. It happened right under my nose. So hot! And, and! These two slugs dangling from a branch made out in front of us. I just couldn't stop myself after that. I shugged Tony Wonny silly when we returned to the hut.

Anja: You, you what?!

Donald: Way to go, my man!

Tony (seriously): Donald, I managed to grab my thermostat just in time. Surma was smoking hot. 41.3 degrees Celsius to be exact. Can you imagine?

Anja, Donald:

Eglamore: But what about me????

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Not mind control.

Brain damage.

27. - Top - End - #267

DwarfFighterGuy

I sincerely hope we get more explanation, cause otherwise what the frick just happened?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    I sincerely hope we get more explanation, cause otherwise what the frick just happened?
    Surma sexually harassed Tony.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems reasonably in character for Surma, given what we've learned about her.

Spoiler
    Show
    And then the chair fell backward and the both died, leading to Annie looking at Anja very confused.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Did your parents not have this talk with you? OK, when two people love each other very much ...
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-10-20 at 01:33 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.