New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Would a Lizardfolk be too much for a Out of the Abyss campaign for fun?

So me and my friends are probobly finishing up Curse of Strad soon run by our novice DM friend. The campain went mostly fine although he was probobly too lenient to us in some places and we probobly chose strong characters in the first place (one of my friends was a homebrew class I was a Sun Soul Monk)

I have heard that out of the abyss is very resource managementy, would a Lizardfolk break that too much given that he can create simple weapons with dead bodies. I mean sure he needs a knife but how hard is that to obtain or will that be what hinders him too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would a Lizardfolk be too much for a Out of the Abyss campaign for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    So me and my friends are probobly finishing up Curse of Strad soon run by our novice DM friend. The campain went mostly fine although he was probobly too lenient to us in some places and we probobly chose strong characters in the first place (one of my friends was a homebrew class I was a Sun Soul Monk)

I have heard that out of the abyss is very resource managementy, would a Lizardfolk break that too much given that he can create simple weapons with dead bodies. I mean sure he needs a knife but how hard is that to obtain or will that be what hinders him too.
    Lizardfolk Revised ranger... Or just underdark ranger.

Easy mode.

Deepstalker/Assassin Rogue. would be a good combo two. So is deepstalker/Warlock 2. 150ft darkvision capable of seeing through magical darkness?

Do Ranger 3/Warlock 2/Shadow sorcerer 1, cast darkness 4 times per short rest :)
    Last edited by Khrysaes; 2017-05-25 at 09:24 PM.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Would a Lizardfolk be too much for a Out of the Abyss campaign for fun?

I'm not looking for easy though.

4. - Top - End - #4

Then don't play a ranger?

Lizardfolk will still have a better early game than other characters because of the racial. It is still good later on as well.

But later you can get items easier.

Also, you could supply your team with crappy weapons or bone arrows.
    Last edited by Khrysaes; 2017-05-25 at 09:40 PM.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

No way. It's a good resource to have that is no better than having a ranger in the party.
    The character are going to find weapons. They might kill a few drow on the way out of Velkenvelve and loot the swords and armor. They might run into goblins, orcs, kuo-toa, or other things that will drop weapons.
    My players were fully equipped, but not optimally equipped, within the first two days out of Velkenvelve.

On Lizards:
    I am running a game and all my players are Lizards. It feels weird, but it's fun. We have:
    1. Dragonborn Bard
    2. Kobold Warlock
    3. Shifter (were-Lizard) Fighter
    4. Homebrew Lizard-man Artificer

6. - Top - End - #6

Normally if they end up killing something for the Lizardfolk to craft items, they would already get weapons by the creature they killed. (It would be a boost though, but not so... OMG! It will break the campaign!)

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X View Post
    No way. It's a good resource to have that is no better than having a ranger in the party.
    The character are going to find weapons. They might kill a few drow on the way out of Velkenvelve and loot the swords and armor. They might run into goblins, orcs, kuo-toa, or other things that will drop weapons.
    My players were fully equipped, but not optimally equipped, within the first two days out of Velkenvelve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Normally if they end up killing something for the Lizardfolk to craft items, they would already get weapons by the creature they killed. (It would be a boost though, but not so... OMG! It will break the campaign!)
    Thanks guys that was all i was looking for.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, it will be totally fine. I'm running oota at the moment. I doubt the crafting ability will make any difference.

Not having dark vision, on the other hand, will matter. So on the whole a lizardman has at least as big a penalty as it has a benefit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blind Lizard folk without arms who specialized in two weapon fighting before the "accident"?

10. - Top - End - #10

I don't think improvising weapons from enemy corpses will make things feel too easy, and the 'fish out of water' vibe of OotA will easily be maintained if your lizard folk is a surface dweller with no special Underdark knowledge. That said, if you'd like the most adventure-as-intended experience you could stick with anything in the PHB other than drow.
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Princess View Post
    I don't think improvising weapons from enemy corpses will make things feel too easy, and the 'fish out of water' vibe of OotA will easily be maintained if your lizard folk is a surface dweller with no special Underdark knowledge. That said, if you'd like the most adventure-as-intended experience you could stick with anything in the PHB other than drow.
    I mean it was mainly the whole resourse gathering part I was worried about breaking out of the prision with extra weapons and such. Since other friends have told me its very resource managementy
    Last edited by Dman; 2017-05-26 at 10:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

I mean it was mainly the whole resourse gathering part I was worried about breaking out of the prision with extra weapons and such. Since other friends have told me its very resource managementy
    Sure, but you either have people with survival and craft skills, or you don't. Neither should break the campaign, and if they would, the DM should be very upfront about it before play starts.
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

13. - Top - End - #13

I guess I forgot about that since that basic level of survival has never come up in a game. Although I do look forward to seeing how my companions plan to escape and if we can come up with something creative and fun.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not too familiar with OotA, but... seems like the natural armor and weapons would be useful for about one fight with your jailors, then everyone loots the bodies and has at least some crude weapons ready to go. Making crappy weapons during a short rest-- one/rest, from only certain creature types, mind-- is unlikely to be particularly useful.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use