New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Cursed Pathfinders (IC)

Shocked the Sheriff
    Matthew seemed to understand Vanthas explanation but was mildly put out about Octy not being home. At least that got a reaction out of him beyond placid acceptance. I know the way back, Mr. Vanthas. You should help your friend. Sheriff Bishop is scary when he's angry. The boy turns on his heels and waltz back down the road. Bishop, meanwhile, inhales slowly obviously trying to keep his cool. Miss, I assure you, I would find it all interesting. This disease is killing my friends, my people. Whatever you've found, I'd like to hear it.

Bringing a Gun and Magic to a Knife Fight
    The trio noticeable recoil at the mention of their deceased friend, but quickly recover. Pft, he died like a chump. We don't let no chumps in our gang! Ya! No fooken chumps! The Halfling chimed in. The remaining human teenager Besides, e'rebodeh knows that fooken witch Grat that cursed 'em, cause we stole her ****! Why the fook that damn Sherreef ain't cuffed her yet is beyond us. If ya OOF- he was cut off as the Halfling punched him in the groin. Da fook you sa that fer!?

Spoiler
    Show
    You can tell by their interactions with each other their group dynamic is in flux. It seems Dagda was the backbone of the group and without him, they are struggling to work together in their illicit endeavors.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Quetzalli filed the inadvertent confession for a later date. "A witch, you say? That does sound serious. Can you tell me where I can find this Grat? If for no other reason it will get us out of your hair?"
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+7)[11]
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-09-18 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dr. Berenice Asher

Berenice nodded her head eagerly in support. "We'll be gone. Honestly!"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20)[19]
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Bringing a Gun and Magic to a Knife Fight
    You see that raggedy ass tent on the main road? Weird Witch lives in that thing. Fooken savage. Now sod off! They waved you off dismissively, though they made no move from their little hang out spot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grat's Tent is noted on the map BTW
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Quetzalli smiled at the thugs. "Thank you for your cooperation." Her smile grew far colder as she said: "Of course if I find that you are lying to me, or that your stupidity of stealing a witch's property actually is the cause of this mess, let's just say you'll be begging the sheriff to save you from me."

And with that, she turned towards the witch's home.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Gilgad decided not to press his luck further, and started to head back to the sheriff's office.
    But he went there by a circuitous route, namely he went back to where their carriage was stored and climbed inside for some privacy.
    Once there, he spent the next hour carefully reassembling the exact formula he had used for the last vial in the event that he would need to play the role of bloodhound again today.
    Once that was completed, Gilgad indeed traveled to the sheriff's office, looking for the others - if they were not there, then he would go looking for them.
    The group needed to know what he had found, so that they could investigate the water route together - Gilgad really would prefer not to have to go for a swim if he didn't absolutely have to.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

7. - Top - End - #427

Vanthas looks at Matthew questioningly, before relenting:

"Alright, you go straight back. Thank you for your help, I'll come tell you when we have figured everything out. "

He watches Matthew walk for a while, then turns to Elena:

"I am sure you have a story to tell about that thing. Maybe we should wait for the others, it looks like something that might require strength in numbers to investigate further. Not that I doubt your abilities, of course... I am sure you are the one who took this monstrosity down?"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Elena looks at Bishop for a moment, eyes unblinking, then replies in her normal monotone. "Understood. I was attempting to study local animal populations in the hopes of identifying a possible vector for the plague. I was unable to locate any living wild animals anywhere within the confines of the town; while I was able to identify several nests and dens, all were unoccupied. There are no mosquitos present near the riverfront, and during my investigations there I encountered this creature, clearly a victim of the plague itself." She gestures to the corpse behind her. "This rules out both of Dr. Highmoor's hypotheses regarding a transmission vector for the plague. Combined with the fact that at least some of the victims are clearly reanimated as undead post death, I strongly suspect that the illness is purely magical in nature. We may need to be on the lookout for other reanimated wildlife in the region."

She raises one hand to pull an errant hair out of her eyes. "Hopefully, a dissection of this creature will provide more data on the nature of the disease, or the investigations of my companions will reveal an avenue of investigation. I am hoping that most of the animal life in the region fled prior to succumbing to illness, or at least was not reanimated. The alternative is extremely troublesome."

Finally, she turns to Vanthas. "You are correct. I no longer believe it is safe for others to investigate alone. This was no threat to me, but if it caught one of us by surprise or if someone was swarmed by a large number of such creatures, the results could be catastrophic."
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2017-09-19 at 12:09 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

The Witch's Abode
    It isn't difficult to find Gratz's tent. Its just off the main road a few blocks down from the sheriff's office. You do spot your companions Vanthas and Elena talking with the Sheriff along with... a crocodile corpse? And Gilgad passes you on the street as well. The tent isn't a shabby looking thing, made of sturdy canvas. Ornate patterns inscribe its outside and a faint smell of spices and incense waft from the open flap. Before you can enter, a hunched figure emerges. An Orc woman, most likely middle aged and a kind (for an Orc) face greets you with a toothy smile. Welcome Pathfinders! What can old Gratz do for ye? She splays her arms wide and bows slightly. She has the candor of a merchant buttering up a client.

Nose to the Grindstone
    While you pass no one of interest on your way to the cart, after brewing a new concoction you pass by not one but all of your able-bodied compatriots. Vanthas and Elena (who has been carrying a rotting crocodile corpse!?) are conversing with an exasperated Sheriff and Milos, Quetz and Berenice are at a fancy looking tent with a comely looking Orc woman greeting them. What will you do from here?

I Stress the Sheriff!
    Bishop rubbed his face vigorously, unsure how to respond to all the revelations that, by all accounts, these Pathfinders deduced in a matter of hours that they couldn't figure out in nearly a week. Well... I... Take that thing out back and throw some of the tarp back there over it. Don't want it scaring anyone. Y'all can have a talk with Lucian later tonight. We discuss what new information we've discerned at my house before sunset before he goes off on his night time research. You ain't emptying your guts, so I doubt you got the bug from that thing but you can use my shower to clean up. He gestures vaguely towards a house across the street.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #430

"Thank you, Sheriff. We will confer with the good Lucien tonight, where everything will hopefully be solved. As you say, we have discovered many clues already. I assume the others have not been idle, either...wait, there they are!"

Vanthas exclaims excitedly as he spots most of the others just a little distance off. They seem to be talking to an...orc?

"That will be all for now, I believe. I think we should rejoin the others, see what they are doing."

Vanthas starts walking towards the group by the tent, moving slowly to avoid alarming whoever they are talking to unduly. He lifts hand in greeting as he gets close, but avoids interrupting the conversation that seems to be going on.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Quetzalli is surpised by the jovial attitude of the orcish woman, but does her best to get down to business. "Hello. If you know we're Pathfinders, you must know what we're here to investigate. Do you have any insight to the plague that, well, plauges the town?" She grimaced slightly at the mangled sentence.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Gilgad, suspicious as to what the hell the robot found, heads over towards Elena and the kid, only to watch as the kid walks off to join the others chatting up some old orc.
    He decides whatever Elena had found could wait, and moves over to join the others . . . were they doing some shopping!?
    No, it sounds like they were trying to find out what this old orc shaman-like merchant knew about what was going on.
    Gilgad perked his ears up as he silently joined the back of the group, interested in what the woman had to say - from what he had seen it seemed not everyone was avoiding the undead, which was *very* suspicious.

13. - Top - End - #433

Dr. Berenice Asher

As soon as Berenice spotted the crocodile corpse, she immediately headed towards it. The orcish witch seemed friendly enough, she was sure Quetzalli would have no problems talking to her.

Once she arrived at the corpse, she started examining it closely.

"Where did you find that? Or did it find you?" she asked, as she looked up to Elena with a smile.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Witch's Abode
    Gratz cracks a wide smile and cackles softly. She turns slightly wagging a finger at the group with her left hand. Ahahaha! To the point! Expect nothing less from Pathfinders! With a flourish she revealed a vial of pearly pale blue liquid in her right hand. For the less observant it would seem as if the vial appeared in her hand magically but the keen eyes of the gathered Pathfinders saw through her mild deception and saw her retrieve it from within her bulky sleeve while she waggled her other hand at you. She held it aloft, waving her hand around it as if casting a spell though certainly no actual magic was worked. This here concoction will cure anyone afflicted! I should know! I'd be dead as ol' Lucie's love life if not for this beauty! For you Pathfinders, I'll give you a special deal. She leaned in close, making a point of looking one way and then the next to check for eavesdroppers. 50 gold a dose. One a night and your right as rain! She raised her eyebrows looking at you with barely concealed anticipation.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Elena turns to Dr. Asher, leaving the Sheriff for the moment. "Dr. Asher. I believe that both descriptions are accurate. I encountered this creature while checking for insects near the river, where it attacked me. It has clearly succumbed to the plague, which has the same revivification effect described by the Hobgoblin we spoke to. I now believe that both settlements are faced with the same affliction. More, it clearly affects a much wider range of animals than previously suspected; there are no signs of living wild animals anywhere in this town, of any size." She gestures to the corpse. "I brought this as intact as possible. I believed you might be able to study it to learn more about the nature of the illness and its effects on the body."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Quetzalli wanted to slap her for trying to make a buck off people being deathly ill, but she could play to the orc's greed. She fished out her coinpurse. "Tell you what. I'll give you 30 for it, and if it works as well as you say it does, the Pathfinders Guild will compensate you for the price of any more that are required. How much of this can you make? We might need to mass produce this while we search for a cure."
    Show
    Bluff to convince her that we've got that much pull with the rest of the Guild. I am allowed to Take 10, so I get a 20 on the check
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-09-25 at 12:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Gilgad examined the concoction in the vial suspiciously, but relaxed as he recognized the hue and viscosity.
    He had prepared a few similar brews himself back in the village.

"You seem to know your brews, ma'am."

Gilgad said from the back of the group.

"Although I must profess I am curious as to how you can claim that this will cure the disease. It will certainly help one resist the initial contagion, but have you had the opportunity to confirm it will cure someone already afflicted? If so I imagine that Lucian would be quite interested in working with you."

18. - Top - End - #438

Dr. Berenice Asher

"We came to the same conclusion for now." "We" meaning her and Highmoore. "The symptoms are similar, and there have been cas..." her eyes fell upon the sheriff, and she hesitated for a second.
    "Casualties? Yes, exactly. Casualties. There have been casualties. Anyway, it's mostly the symptoms why we think it might be the same affliction." She bowed down to look the crocodile over in detail. "I.. would indeed like to take a closer look... thank you, Elena!" The last part, brought forth by a smiling Berenice, almost sounded like she had gotten a birthday present.
    Abruptly, she rose and turned to the sheriff. "Do you have a table and some surgical tools somewhere in town? Normal knives would do as well, I suppose."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Witch's Abode
    Gratz salesmen-smile faltered, cracked and swiftly replaced with a surly grimace. Promises don't buy bread, Pathfinders. And if Lucian would listen to me for a moment, I'd love to work with the sod. She quickly stuffed the vial back into her sleeve. If you have no business here, then begone. You'll scare away the rest of my customers. She twisted on the spot and huffed back into her tent. She pulled the flaps closed aggressively. The effect is not nearly as impactful as a forcibly shut door, unfortunately.

Awkward Autopsy
    Bishop stares in disbelief at Berenice before responding. His speech is slow, though you can't tell if he isn't sure what to say or isn't sure you understand what he is saying. You... can use my desk table. You'll have to ask Lucian for surgical tools. He should be awake in an hour or two. Just do it outside. I'd rather not having.... that all over the office.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #440

Vanthas has been observing the conversation, unusually quiet and contemplative. After Gratz has slammed her "door" and disappeared, he speaks up, trying to stand out of earshot of the tent.

"Hmm... it is possible she just trying to take advantage of the situation and does not know more than that. Surely infecting an entire city with a potent magical disease would be a far too elaborate scheme just to sell a few bottles of whatever she is cooking in there."

As he starts talking, he seems to get warmed up again and his contemplative expression disppears, replaced by some of his usual excitement.

"Regardless, I learned a few things too. It seems the town gravedigger has disappeared recently. Since this is clearly related to the undead, given..."

He gestures towards Elena and Berenice, who seem to be arguing a little tooe excitedly with the sheriff over the twice-dead crocodile.

"...it might be useful to investigate the cemetery. There is also that shed I found nearby, with some more of the infected inside. We can also wait and see what they figure out by...doing whatever they intend to do with the...thing over there."

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Quetzalli rubbed her face with both palms. This was getting nowhere fast. She started to talk aloud to get all the pieces together. "Okay. Let's review. This town is stricken by a sickness that kills and revivifies its victims, We found evidence that that the Freitas residence was broken into on the night the father and child got sick, and it was an adult male judging by the footprints. This means there it's not a disaster, but a plot; someone is doing it on purpose.

But who benefits from it?"

The question lingers in the air as Quetz tries to piece it together.

22. - Top - End - #442

Dr. Berenice Asher

"Outside? Here? In front of... everyone? Are you sure?"

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, whoever is doing it is buddies with undead - I found human tracks mingled with that of one undead. And they walked off away from one of the infected houses together - so they weren't getting chased by it. They got in a boat on the docks - hard to say where they went from there, but the buildings on the other bank might be a place to check as well."

Gilgad growled, adding his own findings to the mounting pile of evidence that there was something very rotten in this town - and it wasn't just the undead created by this malady.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Out back, please, Miss Berenice. He let out another withering sigh. You get the distinct feeling he's starting to regretting hiring the lot of you.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

25. - Top - End - #445

Vanthas observes the exchange with the sheriff with interest, but quickly pulls himself away.

"I suppose I have one more lead to follow on my own. I will go talk to the widower while our experts investigate...that thing. I will return posthaste! "

He dashes off, mumbling to himself and sighing:

"Talking to bereaved people all day...is this what adventure is really like...."

He follows the directions given to the widower's house and tentatively knocks on the door.
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2017-10-05 at 10:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Dr. Berenice Asher

"Actually, it's Dr. A-" she began, but she stopped. "Never mind."

She turned to look at the crocodile, and began to lift it's tail haphazardly before looking sheepishly to Elena and the Sherriff.

"Would you mind giving me a hand carrying it back outside? And the table?"

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Autopsy
    Begrudgingly, the Sheriff lugged the table out to the back but made a point of leaving before the actual autopsy. As you dig into the corpse you find a lot of nothing. There was no obvious signs of injury and the state of decomposition caused a lot of post-death tissue damage which was difficult to differentiate from pre-death damage. However, all is not lost. You do notice that what remains of the its internal organs had were abnormally small. Given that it resided in the river for some portion of its Unlife, the tissues should have been swollen with water but these are positively desiccated. Drawing upon your medical knowledge a sense of dread fills you as you realize the most likely cause of death. Acute negative energy necrosis. The typical cause of death for victims of creatures such as Ghouls whose very touch infuses their victims with negative energy.

Spoiler: Clarification
    Show
    In case it wasn't obvious, the croc died from having Negative Levels equal to or in excess of its HD.

Grieving Widower
    Vanthas knocks on the front door of the modest home. It takes a few minutes before a young man, not much older than Vanthas opens the door. His eyes were bloodshot and face red and puffy with some snot streaking down from his nose. It was clear he has been crying heavily. Hullo? If your selling something, I'm not interested. His voice is hoarse and raw.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #448

"I assure you, I am not here to sell anything. My name is Vanthas and I come on behalf of the Pathfinders. I know this must be a terrible time for you, but we are trying to figure out where this...sickness came from and time is very short. If there is anything you can say to help us, we will be most grateful and we may be able to stop this from spreading even further. I understand if you do not wish to talk of this, but any bit of information you can give us about unusual occurrences in your lives lately might be an important lead towards finding a cure. "

Vanthas bows his head solemnly, awaiting a reply.

Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+16)[28]

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Grieving Widower
    The man sniffles and almost breaks out into sobs but he manages to keep himself together. I'm sorry, but I can't really help you. Nothing was out of the ordinary. My wife contracted that plague and got swept into that damn quarantine! I haven't- hadn't seen her in 3 days. I was told she didn't get inside before nightfall but I know her! She wouldn't have let time slip away like that! She was helping Henry over at the tavern. Even if she did lose track of time, Henry wouldn't have let her go out if he didn't think she could make it home before nightfall. He grabbed an ornate urn that was sitting on a nearby table and cradled it, holding back sobs. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye! Gods I miss her face! He started swaying slightly, the motion of which disheveled the lid of the urn. In a flash he fumbled with the urn causes a bit of its contents to spill out to the floor. However, instead of the expected grey, fine ash that a funeral urn should contain, what spilled out was brown gritty and in relatively large chunks. Dirt, not ash. Mr. Durjadin didn't seem to notice.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2017-10-11 at 01:26 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #450

Vanthas' eyes widen as he realises that the contents of the urn are not what they should be, but he tries not to betray his surprise to Mr. Durjadin.

"I am truly sorry for your loss, Sir. I wish there was something I could do to bring her back to you, but I am afraid there is not. I do promise that we will do everything in our power to figure out where this disease came from and stop it. Thank for sharing your story, you have been very helpful."

Vanthas turns about with an almost dance-like flourish, about to dash back to the others. As he is about to leave, he casts a glance back towards the grieving man, still holding the urn awkwardly. He meets his eyes, opens his mouth as if to speak, then falls silent again. He attempts a reassuring nod instead, but it is not very convincing. Then he rushes out of the grief-filled room, as if fleeing some kind of monster.

He returns to the sheriff's office and shares Mr. Durjadin's story as well as the discovery of the contents of the urn, assuming they are still assembled there. He tries to do it out of earshot of the sheriff, since the dirt-filled urn seems somewhat suspicious.