New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XIII: Born Under a Certain Sign

I honestly don't remember ever being approached by an Orc? The Dawnguard questline for me has always been triggered by hearing a guard talking about this new organisation they've heard about...

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I honestly don't remember ever being approached by an Orc? The Dawnguard questline for me has always been triggered by hearing a guard talking about this new organisation they've heard about...
    That's one way to get the quest, and if you then head straight to Fort Dawnguard, he wont show up, but if you hold off on it for a bit, he will still show up and try and recruit you.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Man, I've been away a while. My current build is having a REALLY rough time with dragons... I think the relatively fast levelling enabled by the Uncapper I'm using (i.e. "Make your levels with Muffle!") has put me in a couple bad spots... but I'm perservering. Just can't remember what I was gonna do after I became the Harbinger...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

That's one of the reasons I don't use uncappers, the other being they seem frustrating to install.

On the other hand, if you've leveled using Muffle, you should be able to enhance followers/guards/wildlife to kill the dragons for you.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Man, I've been away a while. My current build is having a REALLY rough time with dragons... I think the relatively fast levelling enabled by the Uncapper I'm using (i.e. "Make your levels with Muffle!") has put me in a couple bad spots... but I'm perservering. Just can't remember what I was gonna do after I became the Harbinger...
    Time to cheese some crafting and stack elemental resists. Make some potions, get some magic resist gear, and throw that on when you start hearing the lizard-birds chirping overhead.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Banned

So I completely uninstalled and downloaded Skyrim and I still have the bug where NPCs don't talk or move. No mods or even DLCs, it's a completely vanilla game and it still doesn't work. Anyone know what causes this?

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Savegame thing. Try the save cleaner, but in my experience loading back to before it started is the only solution.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Savegame thing. Try the save cleaner, but in my experience loading back to before it started is the only solution.
    Not in this case, it was doing it on brand new games.

Anyway, I finally fixed it by uninstalling everything, manually opening the skyrim folders to delete the files that the uninstaller ignored, and reinstalling.

All to just get bored and quit playing after 20 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you have a lot of Magicka or a way to make Restoration spells cheap (or just magicka restoration through potions), use a weak ward to block dragon breath. It'll stop all of the damage.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2017-12-04 at 08:51 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    If you have a lot of Magicka or a way to make Restoration spells cheap (or just magicka restoration through potions), use a weak ward to block dragon breath. It'll stop all of the damage.
    Personally I just prefer not standing in the fire. I never fight one without something to duck behind nearby.

11. - Top - End - #1091

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Personally I just prefer not standing in the fire. I never fight one without something to duck behind nearby.
    Yeah, that's the dream. Sometimes you can't, though, like near the Atronach stone if you're not booking it to cover.

Also doesn't help that I have Deadly Dragons installed so even if I do take cover I have to keep moving or get fireballs hitting me in the head.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #1092

I decided to push on into Dawnguard, since I want Arvak. That, and stopping the vampire attacks from killing NPCs I might want around, is 90% of my motivation for doing Dawnguard. "I want a horse I can summon". Why do I keep doing Dawnguard before Dragonborn? I want a horse I can summon.

I also suspect there's an issue with my "Adopt more kids" mod, whose name I cannot recall. My 3rd kid doesn't have the usual array of options... I can tell him we're going to move, but that's it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #1093

I decided to push on into Dawnguard, since I want Arvak. That, and stopping the vampire attacks from killing NPCs I might want around, is 90% of my motivation for doing Dawnguard. "I want a horse I can summon". Why do I keep doing Dawnguard before Dragonborn? I want a horse I can summon.
    There's a mod for making citizens run away from vampires during attacks. It seems to work fine for me with the latest release, though sometimes if you enter a city and vampires are already there a citizen might still die because of spawn points being weird/dumb.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Arthmoor's When Vampires Attack is the classic mod for that, though it's now part of his Run For Your Lives mod.

15. - Top - End - #1095

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    There's a mod for making citizens run away from vampires during attacks. It seems to work fine for me with the latest release, though sometimes if you enter a city and vampires are already there a citizen might still die because of spawn points being weird/dumb.
    Quite frankly, it would just make SO. MUCH. SENSE. Them and dragons. Why does a FOOD VENDOR run to attack a dragon with her GORRAM IRON DAGGER? I can see if Mjol the Lioness or that mercenary in Whiterun get themselves involved... that's what they do. But random old grandmas should not be attacking the frickin' dragon.
    The Cranky Gamer

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quite frankly, it would just make SO. MUCH. SENSE. Them and dragons. Why does a FOOD VENDOR run to attack a dragon with her GORRAM IRON DAGGER? I can see if Mjol the Lioness or that mercenary in Whiterun get themselves involved... that's what they do. But random old grandmas should not be attacking the frickin' dragon.
    What kind of milk drinkers do you take them for? This is Skyrim! Even the babies are born with iron daggers in their hands and beards on their chins.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

Except the girls, who have battleaxes, and leather helmets.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Except the girls, who have battleaxes, and leather helmets.
    That's absurd, theres no way a woman would be able to give birth to an iron battleaxe.

The girls are born with maces.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

I had that random encounter with the guys who give you a Honningbrew Mead occur about the same time as a dragon attack and they all went to attack the thing with their bare fists.

I hope they were drunk when they did it.

(And second the vote for 'When Vampires Attack'. I installed it after losing half the shopkeepers in Whiterun to a single vampire attack and never looked back.)

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Riften tends to be the worst for me, because there are enough armed parties and guards firing from all sides that SOMEONE tends to get caught in the crossfire, and the guards end up killing half the vendors.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I am the only one after 500 hours of Skyrim that has never noticed any important people dying from random attacks. then again, I have never played Dawnguard without mods - and it could be that some mods have made shopkeeps nocturnal and vampires...

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    What kind of milk drinkers do you take them for? This is Skyrim! Even the babies are born with iron daggers in their hands and beards on their chins.
    My thoughts exactly. Except that I would have spelled it "This. Is. SKYRIM!"
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

I have to admit, playing Skyrim with Wildcat, sword and buckler and light armor is really an education in weapon reach. When any hit with a two handed weapon is a gauranteed kill if it's not blocked and almost always a fatal stun when it is, you learn very, very quickly where to stand to not die.

And really, really makes me miss playing my mighty wizard.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Recently I had the misfortune of being roped into the business of a Daedra.
    The job was easy enough and something I would've done anyway (sacrificing „human*” souls is nasty business) and a reusable soulstone is really neat, but I definitely don't want to repeat the experience.

First the priestess goes on and on about how this is FATE! and I'm meant to be her goddess' champion.
    Okay, whatever, I can deal with crazy quest givers as long as pay is right.

But then I get to talk to the lady in charge and...
    well, turns out she's not a goddess, but a petulant little girl trying too hard to sound impressive.
    Survival Instinct was all that stopped me from asking if I could talk to her mother.
    (Well, that and the fact there was no such option.)

No seriously, Azura sounds as if they watched Galadriel's „Dark Queen” scene and decided that it would be even better with a twelve year old delivering it.

Long story short, the entire time while dealing with Azura my character was rather unimpressed and was I laughing.
    Not a good start for Team Evil-ish Deities.

Also, couldn't that shrine have been somewhere warmer?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-11 at 12:22 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Recently I had the misfortune of being roped into the business of a Daedra.
    The job was easy enough and something I would've done anyway (sacrificing „human*” souls is nasty business) and a reusable soulstone is really neat, but I definitely don't want to repeat the experience.

First the priestess goes on and on about how this is FATE! and I'm meant to be her goddess' champion.
    Okay, whatever, I can deal with crazy quest givers as long as pay is right.

But then I get to talk to the lady in charge and...
    well, turns out she's not a goddess, but a petulant little girl trying too hard to sound impressive.
    Survival Instinct was all that stopped me from asking if I could talk to her mother.
    (Well, that and the fact there was no such option.)

No seriously, Azura sounds as if they watched Galadriel's „Dark Queen” scene and decided that it would be even better with a twelve year old delivering it.

Long story short, the entire time while dealing with Azura my character was rather unimpressed and was I laughing.
    Not a good start for Team Evil-ish Deities.

Also, couldn't that shrine have been somewhere warmer?
    Azura is actually one of the "good" daedra. She is benevolent at least as often as not, as long as you don't actively offend her.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Azura is actually one of the "good" daedra. She is benevolent at least as often as not, as long as you don't actively offend her.
    And yet she sounds like little girl that needs to be send to bed without dessert.

But yeah, I gathered as much from the ingame lore.
    On the other hand... how bad could a goddess of twilight possibly be?
    Worst case she dims the lights or makes people read terrible vampire romance stories.
    No wait. The last one actually is incredibly cruel and evil.
    Good thing my character stayed polite then.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Colossus in the Playground

Her other domains are fate and prophecy. Ask all those kingdoms and wanna-be gods she wrecked. E.g. the main plot of Morrowind.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #1108

Yeah, she's twilight in the sense that she controls BECOMINGS. It's a tricky concept, one us humans have difficulties with. We know what Homo Sapiens looks like, and we know what Homo Erectus looks like, and we know these are two separate things, but they're also a continuum, just like night and day is a continuum of the rotation of the earth relative to the sun. At some point, Erectus becomes Sapiens, and Day becomes Night. But that point isn't a single moment; it takes minutes for the sun to totally disappear, and simply going to a taller building can reset the sunset.

So, Azura controls that grey area between what is and what will be. She knows that people are in an eternal state of BECOMING... something. The larger the change (like BECOMING into the legend of the Dragonborn, or BECOMING into or mantling the Nerevarine), the more power she has.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

Azura is the one who turned the Chimer into the Dunmer. Literally transformed every single member of a race who looked like this to looking like this because they annoyed her.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

Azura perfectly embodies "true neutral" alignment from D&D for me. God forbid we turn this thread into yet ANOTHER alignment discussion though. She is egoistic but she helps the mortals as much as she helps herself to more power. She does not like being trifled with but she is not actively harming or really helping people.

As for the Dunmer: Did she instantly turn them into Dark Elves or did they devolve from Chimer?