New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A question on deities and demigods

I was wondering can a greater deity remove a lower deities divinity?I ask this because i heard a story where somthing like that happened and i wanted to know if there are any rules for this in dnd?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A question on deities and demigods

Not under any kind of normal circumstances, no.

I mean in theory I guess they could try to kill all of the Lesser Deity's worshipers, but in practice holy war is a spectacularly bad idea that leaves a god extremely vulnerable.
    Last edited by gkathellar; 2017-05-31 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

One of the ideas that was brought up to me was somthing like the head of a panthion could do this (I ask this because i have a deity that commonly does things a few gods dont like such as commonly interacting with the mortal plane even going down there talking to people and interfearing with them.) (He is an elven deity named tarlin god of the moon and stars in my world he is a lesser deity)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You're under no obligation to follow the precedents set by other D&D settings, which have a very particular view of what gods are and how they function (or by Deities and Demigods, which isn't worth the paper it's printed on). Gods in your setting should follow whatever rules are thematically appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    You're under no obligation to follow the precedents set by other D&D settings, which have a very particular view of what gods are and how they function (or by Deities and Demigods, which isn't worth the paper it's printed on). Gods in your setting should follow whatever rules are thematically appropriate.
    Couldn't agree more. D&D has a rich mythology, but it definitely treats godhood as something that is, under nearly all circumstances, permanent until death. If something else works better for you or appeals to you more, use it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

In the Evermeet novel, we saw Corran stripping Lolth of her godhood and reducing her to "demon princess" - she had to do a lot of cultivating of the drow to get her godhood back.

So powerful deities reducing the power of lesser deities of their own pantheons, has a certain amount of precedent in the fluff, even if the rules don't cover it in detail.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The system of transfer of divine ranks was deliberately developed to be vague and thus receptive to DM decision, so you can decide whatever choice would best fit your campaign.
    RAW, however, there's no way to take a deity's divine ranks except via death or, if the lesser divinity recieved the ranks from the greater, recalling them.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Overdeities can take away the divinity from any god that operates within their sphere of power, as recently discussed in this thread.

Note that an Overdeity is not the same thing as a greater deity.