New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece V: Black Leg Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    It is one of the series main strenght. We have always had a decent picture of just how the power scale looked. It was moderatly early that the Ice Admiral whose name i cant spell very causally defeated the monster trio. I believe thats the earliest point where it was established just how far ahead the end of the power scale were.
    Yeah I remember that fight scene. And I use the word fight loosely. But there was just something about this one. Kizaru comes strolling into town where he pretty much KNOWS there are a half dozen pirate crews in residence doing something or other, and it isnt a big deal. Its like someone told him, "Hey, there are a bunch of flies over there, can you swat them for me?" "Yeah sure" He almost literally says to the mage captain "I guess since im here I might as well crush you like an ant." I felt like the background music should have been "These Boots Were Made For Walking" Cause man did he ever walk right over them.

In retrospect, it felt a lot like the scene from early on in bleach where byakuya came for rukia and just casually wrecked ichigo "You're slow. Even when you're falling." We got the sheer gap between ichigo, who up till then was looking pretty good as a substitute reaper, and a REAL reaper. One who has spent centuries perfecting his craft and earning his high rank. Did we even know at the time just how harshly restricted his strength was at the time he instakilled ichigo?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It is one of the series main strenght. We have always had a decent picture of just how the power scale looked. It was moderatly early that the Ice Admiral whose name i cant spell very causally defeated the monster trio. I believe thats the earliest point where it was established just how far ahead the end of the power scale were.
    And then in the new world, we see Big Mam casually walking over Luffy. Heck, Eustass Kid got off-paneled by Kaidou.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter...

Spoiler
    Show

So Dogtooth doesn't just happen to be more powerful than Luffy, the guy is some kind of monster on the level of an emperor, apparently. I sure hope we get a good way for Luffy to get out...

Not much new else... except Germa destroying their pursuers and probably heading to save their brother. Hoorray for fast redemptions?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #364

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Brulee hypes of Katakiri and he genuinely wishes she'd just stop, which is hilarious. He's also stressing out...Luffy's dodging his attacks and that's weird for him. Luffy himself is also getting really messed up too, mind you.

Brulee's also made the mistake of telling Mama where to go, which is where the cake's being baked. Way to play yourself mirror witch.

Baron Chicken is reflecting on the fact that...even though their side is clearly superior, just genuinely bad things have constantly been happening since the Straw Hats showed up. There's a lot of talk about how their den den mushi detection system just isn't working, and I'm curious what that'll entail...and we end with them contacting the forces sent after the Germa.

And the Germa has defeated all of them and are copying the voice of their leader to pull the wool over their eyes. Nice.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Baron Chicken is reflecting on the fact that...even though their side is clearly superior, just genuinely bad things have constantly been happening since the Straw Hats showed up. There's a lot of talk about how their den den mushi detection system just isn't working, and I'm curious what that'll entail...and we end with them contacting the forces sent after the Germa.
    Im quite certain this is a sign of BB moving against Big Mom. He shares Luffy's ambition, and he has shown the ability for making longterm plans.
    Taking advantage of a diversion would be his style, and it does let him pick up Big Moms phoneglyph. The one he need to find Raftel.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #366

Spoiler
    Show

Im quite certain this is a sign of BB moving against Big Mom. He shares Luffy's ambition, and he has shown the ability for making longterm plans.
    Taking advantage of a diversion would be his style, and it does let him pick up Big Moms phoneglyph. The one he need to find Raftel.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can DEFINITELY see that. Black Beard would definitely put eyes on Luffy to notice when he stirs the pot so he can take advantage of it. He literally did that to get that swordman frorm Impel Down, if I recall.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

He would not even need to put specific eyes on Luffy to notice this. Luffy is still a minor piece in the grand scheme of things. But Blackbeard does know Luffy very well. And Big Mom more or less announced what might happen to the entire new world. So of course Blackbeard will try and keep a closer eye on Big Moms territory to see if Luffy made any sort of move.

And he did, so now Blackbeard is discretely aiding him by increasing the chaos, doing anything to weaken Big Mom as much as possible before he makes his own move for the Phoneglyph.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show
    I just thought that the detection failing was due to sabotage by the Sun Piratas, expecially with them checking out the sea floor.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    Show
    I just thought that the detection failing was due to sabotage by the Sun Piratas, expecially with them checking out the sea floor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was my first guess as well, TBH, especially since it would be weird for them to just up and leave their captain behind for good without leaving him a going away present as thanks for his time up until then.

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is another good option. Either way, it's clearly a big deal and gonna be cool to see the result of. Our heroes are going to actually be making use of those bonds they have.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

The main thing that makes me suspect Blackbeard is that they complained about a lot of accidents. Where the loss of the detection Snails were only a part.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

The main thing that makes me suspect Blackbeard is that they complained about a lot of accidents. Where the loss of the detection Snails were only a part.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that was the Baron's way of pointing out that their hubris in considering the outcomes of the Strawhats actions
    as mere accidents is being harmfull to their side and that they shouldn't understimate their
    opponents.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Yes alright it can be thats all there is to it. And that they have not had more accidents than those we know off.
    At the same time though, if it was just the Sun Pirates, then i dont think there would have been all this mystery made out of it.

Also, Blackbeard Needs that poneglyph to be able to remain in the race for Raftel.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Baltigo to Wholecake Island would be quite a trip, wouldn't it?
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

It's the Sun Pirates. I mean, like obviously the Sun Pirates.

16. - Top - End - #376

PirateGuy

In keeping with the theme of their appearances, I'll say that if Blackbeard's crew DOES show up, it's probably going to be at the very very VERY end of the arc, after the Straw Hats are already about to bounce. It was like that just before they went to Skypeia, it was like that as Luffy was leaving Impel Down, and it was like that at the end of the War itself. Remember, the man is basically the Joker of the One Piece universe, he only appears when it's the absolute worst time to do so for everyone else involved, sort of like our main characters but more evil.

With that in mind, the Straw Hats may be at wits end but I don't think the Big Mom pirates are quite at the point at which Blackbeard and crew showing up would be overwhelmingly disastrous for everyone that's still up and conscious. If I may be so bold as to make a prediction, I get the feeling that either Sanji is going to lace it or the cake Big Mom will eat will be just SO GOOD that she's going to be KO'd from it, and if and when that happens THAT will be when Blackbeard and his men show up to wreak some havoc.

17. - Top - End - #377

Kind of a strange question, but have they ever covered the value of money in the One Piece universe? I mean, lets take luffy and his bounty, 500 million berries sounds like a lot, but do we know how much each berry is worth? Is it roughly equal to a dollar? Is it equal to a yen? Does a room at an inn cost 50 berry, 500, berry, 5000 berry? Im just kinda curious is all. I was reading a story about an alternate luffy who was doing bounty hunting of the nasty sort of pirates to pay bills and it hit me, I have no idea what a basic east blue 5-30 mil bounty equates to. Like, would he be able to pay his crew for a year off that? Would he need to take pirates down monthly at that value just to keep them fed, clothed, the ship in repair, etc?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Kind of a strange question, but have they ever covered the value of money in the One Piece universe? I mean, lets take luffy and his bounty, 500 million berries sounds like a lot, but do we know how much each berry is worth? Is it roughly equal to a dollar? Is it equal to a yen? Does a room at an inn cost 50 berry, 500, berry, 5000 berry? Im just kinda curious is all. I was reading a story about an alternate luffy who was doing bounty hunting of the nasty sort of pirates to pay bills and it hit me, I have no idea what a basic east blue 5-30 mil bounty equates to. Like, would he be able to pay his crew for a year off that? Would he need to take pirates down monthly at that value just to keep them fed, clothed, the ship in repair, etc?
    It's just yen. Don't think about it. That's just how it works.

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's just yen. Don't think about it. That's just how it works.
    BAH! Clearly you are not a true fan of the series or else you never would have said something so foolish. "Dont think about it." ?!?!?!?! BEGONE FROM THIS THREAD YE POSER!! Ok then, yen, that works out. That would mean, and im roughly averaging here, someone like alvidas original bounty of I think 8 million berries, would be worth 80 grand in american money. Depending on the size of the crew, that could be a reasonable pay day, assuming there isnt much risk of death taking her out. But you would also have to go after a number of said bounties a year unless you are going solo to make a living. On the other hand, grabbing luffys bounty would be worth 5 million bucks. A very serious payday, even more so since taking him down means taking down the rest of the crew, many of whom are worth a million bucks or more. Take down the straw hat crew in its entirety, and your crew could likely retire. (current total is 1.5 billion berries give or take a few million) Dont forget to donate choppers bounty to the pay station as a tip though. No need to be greedy.

But that also explains how someone like zoro could randomly take bounties as needed to pay for food and booze. Even taking down the weakest of bounties is worth enough to last for a wandering swordsman for some time, as aside from food drink and shelter, he doesnt exactly have a lot of bills to pay.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Whohoo! new chapter! so much to love in it.

Spoiler
    Show

Mostly that someone were indeed smart enough to take a shot at Luffy while he was pausing up to power up.

And also that Luffy would have lost. This does seem like a case of someone legitimately stronger than Luffy, that in the end lose because of his own hubris.
    (seems just about every strong person in this serie has some sort of mental flaw to compensate. You can likely count the number who dont on one hand)

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Whohoo! new chapter! so much to love in it.

Spoiler
    Show

Mostly that someone were indeed smart enough to take a shot at Luffy while he was pausing up to power up.

And also that Luffy would have lost. This does seem like a case of someone legitimately stronger than Luffy, that in the end lose because of his own hubris.
    (seems just about every strong person in this serie has some sort of mental flaw to compensate. You can likely count the number who dont on one hand)

Spoiler
    Show
    Mental flaw might be right, but doesn't seem like hubris to me. While it deliberately and superficially appears that way with how "cool" Katakuri appears, it's quite clear that he has his own mental issues that got exposed. It felt like a strictly-controlled version of Mama's sweet-cravings.

So many funny and awesome things to digest this chapter: Luffy pondering if he has to eat his way through every fight against BM's crew, Luffy's ridiculous food sense, Katakuri's surprising double-life, Katakuri preventing G4, Katakuri tanking Kong Gun, that thing that surpasses even armament haki itself, and then Luffy figuring out Katakuri's weakness.

The last two are really interesting. If Katakuri has heightened CoO, could there be a heightened CoA as well? And what would Katakuri's weakness be? Maybe not being able to use CoO and CoA at the same time? A time or energy limit to his super CoO? Maybe his merienda is his downtime to replenish his super CoO per day?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I'm also curious what Luffy figured out... his breaks being necessary for him to maintain his crazy power level seems most likely..?

I really liked the chapter. On the one hand, I did like how crazy powerful and compased DT was before but this... I don' know, it's pretty funny. I was kind of expecting something even crazier from Oda but still.

I guess now we can get a legitimate win from Luffy?

sidenote: So once Luffy awakens his DF....
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #383

This chapter was awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I had to guess, the weakness is that Dogtooth can't mochi up his face cause it might ruin the stitches keeping his mouth...attached. His weakness is a jaw of glass.

24. - Top - End - #384

You know what I would like to see in an awakened devil fruit ability for luffy? Internalized stretching. Thats probably a bad way to put it, but im thinking mr fantastic levels of stretching where he no longer has to go through all this elaborate crap. He doesnt have to armor up, bite his arm, then spend 30 seconds inflating to gear 4, he can just will his body to expand that way. He no longer has to fling his fist 50 meters behind himself to fire up a punch, he can throw a normal punch with all that elastic force condensed in his normal sized arm. Its not a massive change, but its one that could really help in that he would no longer be telegraphing so hard that a 6 year old white belt at their first mcdojo training session could tell whats coming next. Im honestly surprised he ever hits ANYONE with that kind of stuff. Its like his enemies are so baffled and stunned by a guy punching in the opposite direction for 5-10 seconds that they cant react in time when the fist comes back towards them. At least gear 4 kinda does this. He can ratchet up the tension and hold it till he is ready to fire a shot off.

But aside from that, the ability to manipulate his body through will instead of having to pull on parts of it. We all have seen the scenes where someone, sometimes him, is pulling on his face and stretching it out. This would let him do that sort of thing just by thinking about it. He would be able to say, literally warp his body out of the way of an incoming attack while standing in one place. It would greatly improve his resistance to blunt impact damages, like now he can casually rebound cannonballs instead of either dodging them or doing some fancy trick to counter tham. Instead he treats them like bullets, and make it easier to dodge the edged weapons. He could probably make himself whitebeard height with a thought, be able to cover long swathes of land with a single stretched out stride, if he gets into a grapple with someone stronger he can inflate his muscles on the spot to fight back. It is an understated powerup with uncountable possibilities for making him stronger faster better as a fighter. Imagine you are this overconfident yonko commander who sees luffy hurling his tiny fist at you which you know you can take. A half second before impact it suddenly balloons into a 30 foot wide fist covered in haki and smashes you through a building. Greater flexibility (hur hur) without being some sort of stupid over the top ability like some of the stuff ive mentioned before about what a gear 5 could be. "Wait wait wait, he takes gear three, and inflates his entire body that way, making him giant sized! Maybe combines it with gear 2 just for the awesomeness of being a super fast steaming 50 foot tall monster! And since 2+3 is 5, we get gear 5!"

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    "Wait wait wait, he takes gear three, and inflates his entire body that way, making him giant sized! Maybe combines it with gear 2 just for the awesomeness of being a super fast steaming 50 foot tall monster! And since 2+3 is 5, we get gear 5!"
    So, Titan Luffy basically?
    Well, as long as he doesn't adopt the eating habits...
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-10-27 at 12:20 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So, Titan Luffy basically?
    Well, as long as he doesn't adopt the eating habits...
    Hey, considering where he is right now, he very well might have the eating habits. Aaaand now im picturing those scenes with luffys face superimposed over the titans and scarred for life. /shudder Remember back in the fight against arlong where he took a set of his teeth and used them? lol

27. - Top - End - #387
    Bugbear in the Playground

So there are two hypotheses about his weakness currently:

1 He can't hold two power ups at the same time.

or

2 He's as much food-powered as Luffy is, and can't fight at full power if he misses his regular sugar rush.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Mental flaw might be right, but doesn't seem like hubris to me. While it deliberately and superficially appears that way with how "cool" Katakuri appears, it's quite clear that he has his own mental issues that got exposed. It felt like a strictly-controlled version of Mama's sweet-cravings.
    Well he did leave an opponent in a deathtrap instead of finishing him off personally. Though he did show Luffy the respect that he did not allow him to power up.

And yeah, i actually think its more than that. In the first round of battle Dogtooth did not use any armament Haki. He relied purely on his superior observation Haki, his spear and his DF.

Getting interupted in the middle of his snack break, likely the only time he allows himself to unwind, has enraged him. And that seems to have switched his focus entirely over to Armament Haki.
    That means his Armament Haki is now so strong it makes Luffy's feel like its not there. And thats a massive feat, he has exhanged blows with Admiral class opponents without that happening. But i think the price is that not only can he power up one type of Haki, he cant use the other type while doing so.

Thats why Luffy could suddenly get a hit in on him. And its why Luffy were able to dodge the Mocchi rain and enter Gear 4th.

29. - Top - End - #389

Well he did leave an opponent in a deathtrap instead of finishing him off personally. Though he did show Luffy the respect that he did not allow him to power up.

And yeah, i actually think its more than that. In the first round of battle Dogtooth did not use any armament Haki. He relied purely on his superior observation Haki, his spear and his DF.

Getting interupted in the middle of his snack break, likely the only time he allows himself to unwind, has enraged him. And that seems to have switched his focus entirely over to Armament Haki.
    That means his Armament Haki is now so strong it makes Luffy's feel like its not there. And thats a massive feat, he has exhanged blows with Admiral class opponents without that happening. But i think the price is that not only can he power up one type of Haki, he cant use the other type while doing so.

Thats why Luffy could suddenly get a hit in on him. And its why Luffy were able to dodge the Mocchi rain and enter Gear 4th.
    Wait, if this guys armament is so strong it can basically ignore luffy attacks, does it MATTER he doesnt have observation? Or was it only under gear 4 that he is able to ignore luffys attacks and now he will get hurt if luffy nails him? I do like the idea though, on one hand you have him being ludicrously hard to hit due to hyper observation haki, but if he DOES get hit it will wreck him because he cant armor up. On the other hand he has super duper armament haki, but he is going to be taking more hits and if they are powerful enough they can wear him down.

30. - Top - End - #390

PirateGuy

Just popping in to note that those of you who read the translation where he says he has "something greater than Armament Haki", another translation of that sentence (and one that makes a lot more sense) is him simply saying that his is stronger than Luffy's.